AssemblyBoard
April 18, 2024, 09:41:16 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13
  Print  
Author Topic: QUESTION OF THE DAY/OPINIONS WELCOME  (Read 107543 times)
Mark Kisla
« Reply #165 on: May 29, 2005, 12:27:23 am »

Opinions are welcome:

Let's say you are a teacher, with 10 students.

5 of the 10 are average, dependable and seem to be giving their best.
2 of the 10 are "at risk," and have behavior problems, maybe even learning disabilities.  They disrupt the classroom frequently.
3 of the 10 are gifted, highly intelligent students that deliver inconsistent performances.  On one assignment they shine, and on the next, due to boredom, they turn in sloppy work.  They are capable of doing much better, but grow bored and disinterested.  They are getting A's and B's, but could have A+'s across the board if they could be challenged.  Their high achievements at the beginning of the year have slipped.

As a teacher, which of the students deserve the most time and attention?

I submit the answer is in the Bible, and that as a society we are doing the opposite of what we should be doing.

Brent
With no scripture to refer too, my choice is the 5 that are dependable and giving it their best shot. If your heart is not in it don't waste my time.
Mark K
editor
« Reply #166 on: May 29, 2005, 12:43:13 am »

With no scripture to refer too, my choice is the 5 that are dependable and giving it their best shot. If your heart is not in it don't waste my time.
Mark K

Using the parable of the talents, we see that God values things differently than we might.  Without going into detail at this time, I think that the teacher owes it to the gifted students to spend a little more time with them.  Here's why:

They have the most potential, and due to the slow, boring nature of the class, are losing interest.  The constant trouble with the "at risk" kids doesn't help.  By keeping the gifted kids tuned in, it will actually help the "average" kids maintain their work ethic, and perhaps help them to do even better.  When the "at risk" kids are not the center of attention, they disrupt the class less, and may actually feel some pressure to get with the program. 

I think schools should concentrate on developing the brightest and best.  This helps everyone.  Spending so much time and energy on the rotten one's means to smart one's can do sloppy, careless work and still get by.  That's not what we need for our children.

Those that are smart and achieve should be rewarded more than those who don't.  Raise the bar, raise the level of competition and reap the rewards.

Opinions welcome.

Brent
Mark Kisla
« Reply #167 on: May 29, 2005, 04:02:27 am »

Using the parable of the talents, we see that God values things differently than we might.  Without going into detail at this time, I think that the teacher owes it to the gifted students to spend a little more time with them.  Here's why:

They have the most potential, and due to the slow, boring nature of the class, are losing interest.  The constant trouble with the "at risk" kids doesn't help.  By keeping the gifted kids tuned in, it will actually help the "average" kids maintain their work ethic, and perhaps help them to do even better.  When the "at risk" kids are not the center of attention, they disrupt the class less, and may actually feel some pressure to get with the program. 

I think schools should concentrate on developing the brightest and best.  This helps everyone.  Spending so much time and energy on the rotten one's means to smart one's can do sloppy, careless work and still get by.  That's not what we need for our children.

Those that are smart and achieve should be rewarded more than those who don't.  Raise the bar, raise the level of competition and reap the rewards.

Opinions welcome.

Brent

You can have all the talent in the world and with no ambition or work ethic you won't go very far. As far as gifted people go, it's not society or corporate americas  job to keep them from getting bored. I'm sure any CEO or scientists job involves some discipline they find boring.
Prisons are full of intelligent people who had high school behavior problems. I know this because of my recent involement in prison ministry.
The schools should not revolve around the average person either.
I do agree that our school systems should "raise the bar". I respect anyone who does the best with what they were born with.
editor
« Reply #168 on: May 29, 2005, 10:50:35 am »

You can have all the talent in the world and with no ambition or work ethic you won't go very far. As far as gifted people go, it's not society or corporate americas  job to keep them from getting bored. I'm sure any CEO or scientists job involves some discipline they find boring.
Prisons are full of intelligent people who had high school behavior problems. I know this because of my recent involement in prison ministry.
The schools should not revolve around the average person either.
I do agree that our school systems should "raise the bar". I respect anyone who does the best with what they were born with.

I think we misunderstand eachother, Mark.

I should clarify something, I am not advocating catering to the gifted/lazy!  Your statements on ambition are right one.  What I am saying is that the classrooms and much of the budget gets soaked up by problem kids, not the average, and NOT the gifted.

What I am saying is instead of slowing the whole class down, and teaching to a minimum requirement, they should keep the classroom moving along, and giving the gifted an opportunity to excel.

I certainly respect anyone who does their best.  However, that should include everyone....not just the average. 

Try to get an eighth grade reader, or history book from the late 1800's.  You will see how much we have lowered the bar to accomplish consistent mediocrity.

It's hard to inspire people to greatness, when you bore them to death with mediocrity.

Brent
just me

Email
« Reply #169 on: May 29, 2005, 11:55:09 pm »

Brent, I appreciate your concern for the lack of meaningful and challenging gifted education.  I have the same concern.  However, the problem cannot be solved by the general education teacher speeding up the classroom instruction.  It's a bit more complicated.  Gifted students are defined as performing at least 2 grade levels ahead in some subjects, and able to learn at a faster/more compressed rate than average classmates.  Studies also show that they perform much higher when grouped in homogenous grouping with other gifted kids.  Obviously, being together is more challenging, accepting and there is greater compatibility.  For these reasons it is impossible for the classroom teacher to serve these kids UNLESS they have experience with gifted instruction.  They can't just make things more challenging.  Gifted kids are wired differently (high speed access?) than average kids.  The average kids could not keep up.  When gifted kids are removed from reg. ed. classrooms higher level average kids rise to the top of leadership and perform higher grade wise.  Gifted education has pretty much gone down the toilet with school funding problems.  I have seen very good programs, however, in classrooms where the teacher knows how to run multi-level cluster groups within the classroom.  This method serves all students well.  As a teacher myself, I believe every child can and should learn; from the disabled to the superable and I have studied them all.  They are all valuable and significant to God.

my opinion and my research
me
editor
« Reply #170 on: May 30, 2005, 12:02:23 am »

Brent, I appreciate your concern for the lack of meaningful and challenging gifted education.  I have the same concern.  However, the problem cannot be solved by the general education teacher speeding up the classroom instruction.  It's a bit more complicated.  Gifted students are defined as performing at least 2 grade levels ahead in some subjects, and able to learn at a faster/more compressed rate than average classmates.  Studies also show that they perform much higher when grouped in homogenous grouping with other gifted kids.  Obviously, being together is more challenging, accepting and there is greater compatibility.  For these reasons it is impossible for the classroom teacher to serve these kids UNLESS they have experience with gifted instruction.  They can't just make things more challenging.  Gifted kids are wired differently (high speed access?) than average kids.  The average kids could not keep up.  When gifted kids are removed from reg. ed. classrooms higher level average kids rise to the top of leadership and perform higher grade wise.  Gifted education has pretty much gone down the toilet with school funding problems.  I have seen very good programs, however, in classrooms where the teacher knows how to run multi-level cluster groups within the classroom.  This method serves all students well.  As a teacher myself, I believe every child can and should learn; from the disabled to the superable and I have studied them all.  They are all valuable and significant to God.

my opinion and my research
me

I agree.  Sadly, the current education system is more focused on improving test scores.

Our sixth grader has a teacher who can do both, and Stephen and two other kids in the class basically are in a different school.  We are so thankful to her!

She told us that when the kids who are leaders are challenged and excited about learning, they bring the others up with them, generally speaking.

Brent
Mark Kisla
« Reply #171 on: May 30, 2005, 12:43:00 am »

I read that when the  draft ended it really hurt our miltary because the lack of diversity of individuals working together.
I agree, we are in trouble on many fronts if we can't inspire the next generation.
I read that during his presidency Lincoln would show up at church services unannounced so the preacher would not patronize the President.  An aid once asked Lincoln what he thought of a sermon, Lincoln responded that the Preacher spoke well, pressed to what he really thought, Lincoln said that he was dissappointed and that "Gods word preached inspires mankind to goodness and greatness".
I agree with Lincoln, who also said, "this nation will only be as strong as the families in it"
tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #172 on: June 13, 2005, 02:33:01 am »

June 12th:

I have two questions:

1.  How come when I logged on to the BB.
On the top of my computer screen it says:
The Assembly, George Geftakys - assemblyboard - Index

How come we are giving the BB, this idenity?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. This is just to generate discussion, nothing more.

When you apology?

When is an apology sincere.
With  or without conditions?

What is your opinion of what an apology is?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Lenore
tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #173 on: June 18, 2005, 12:00:22 am »

:)June 17th:

Hi everyone:

Was wondering if someone could help me out .

I was seaching the scriptures in the gospels, for the verses that shows, where the disciples of Jesus came back and was complaining of others preaching the gospel message, even though they werent part of the following of Jesus.

Jesus said "paraphrasing" that the message of the gospel is the most important, rather than the person who was presenting it. As long as the gospel was being spoken about.

I could find it could anyone give me a hand here.

Thanks.

Lenore
outdeep

Email
« Reply #174 on: June 18, 2005, 12:11:16 am »

:)June 17th:

Hi everyone:

Was wondering if someone could help me out .

I was seaching the scriptures in the gospels, for the verses that shows, where the disciples of Jesus came back and was complaining of others preaching the gospel message, even though they werent part of the following of Jesus.

Jesus said "paraphrasing" that the message of the gospel is the most important, rather than the person who was presenting it. As long as the gospel was being spoken about.

I could find it could anyone give me a hand here.

Thanks.

Lenore
Mark 9:38-40 or Luke 9:49-50.
tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #175 on: June 18, 2005, 01:06:07 am »

Mark 9:38-40 or Luke 9:49-50.

THANKS ALOT DAVE FOR YOUR HELP,  I APPRECIATE IT.

Lenore
=============================================

The Contemporary Parellel New Testament

Mark 9:38-40
NIV: WHOEVER IS NOT AGAINST US IS FOR US

Teacher said John 'we saw a man driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us"

Do not stop him" Jesus said, "No one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me.

For whoever is not against us is for us.

VS: 41: I tell you the truth, anyone who give you a cup of water in my name because you belong to Christ will certainly not lose his reward.

THE MESSAGE
John Spoke up. "Teacher , we saw a man using your name to expel demon and we stopped him because he wasn't in our group.
Jesus wasnt pleased. "Dont stop him, No one can use my name to do something good and powerful, and in the next breath cut me down. If he's not an enemy, he's an ally.
Why, anyone by just giving a cup of water in my name. Is on our side. Count on it that God will notice.

LUKE 9: 49-50 NKJV - JESUS FORBIDS SECTARIANISM

Now John answered and said, "Master, we saw someone casting out demons in Your name, and we forbade him because he does not follow with us"
But Jesus said to Him, Do not forbid him, for he who is not against us, is on our side.

tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #176 on: July 16, 2005, 06:29:21 am »

July 15th:

Genesis 25: Verse 1 & 2

ABRAHAM AGAIN TOOK A WIFE, AND HER NAME WAS KETURAH.

AND SHE BORE HIM
ZIMRAN, JOKSHAN, MEDAN, MIDIAN, ISHBAK, AND SHUAH.

Then is verse 3 to 4 : it continues the offspring of Jokshan, and Midian.

Verse 5:
AND ABRAHAM GAVE ALL THAT HE HAD TO ISAAC.

Verse 7 to 10 talks about the death and burial of Abraham.

Verse 9: AN HIS SONS ISAAC AND ISHMAEL BURIED HIM IN THE CAVE OF MACHPELAH.....

Did you notice that it was ISAAC AND ISHMAEL that buried there father.

But Abraham had 6 other children.

I know that Isaac is God's choosen one, the gift from God.

Ishmael was product of Abraham doing at Sarah's insistence.

But the six children bore to him by Keturah, why were they not blessed the way
God promised of Isaac and even the blessings of Ishmael.

Has anyone else ponder the reasons for this?

Lenore
tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #177 on: August 14, 2005, 09:59:09 pm »

Happy Lord's Day of August 14th. Hope every one had a wonderful blessing today, assemblying with God People in House of God giving worship and thanksgiving to the one who Created us. And to the Saviour who gave his life willing for us to have Salvation and Eternal Life.

I was wondering .

Has anyone ever done a word study on particular subjects of the Bible.

Like using the Strongs  or Vine's Hebrew/Greek Complete Dictionary.

I recently looked up for an assignment for our Bible Study Homework on the meaning of the word 'WORD" It is amazing at the different meanings that have been assigned to this word.

It gives a better inside of the WORD OF GOD and the meanings of the passages that we are reading.

That is it for now.
tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #178 on: September 06, 2005, 01:42:10 am »

SEPTEMBER 5TH

1 John 3: 9

' NO ONE WHO IS BORN OF GOD WILL CONTINUE TO SIN BECAUSE GOD'S SEED REMAINS IN HIM, HE CANNOT GO ON SINNING"

QUESTION:

What do you think this means?
tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #179 on: October 20, 2005, 04:42:02 am »

Hi People of the BB.

Just having moved 19 days ago, and having to down sized from a 3 bedroom townhouse after 18 years to a small one bedroom senior apartment.

It has been an interesting adjustment, which I am still settling in.

One of the more challenging, was since I had order a new bed, and got rid of the older one, I had to wait 3 weeks for a bed.

I slept curled up on a love seat for three weeks. Between sleepless nights, oestoarthritis aches and pains resulting of the seat.

I learned that IT IS AMAZING HOW MUCH WE TAKE THINGS FOR GRANTED UNTIL WE HAVE TO DO WITH OUT IT.
When I got my bed last night, it was so nice to be able to stretch out to sleep.

MY QUESTION IS:

Have you ever learned a life lesson by the simplest teaching that has come your way? Even if you dont think it as a lesson at the time.

Nice talking to you

Lenore
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13
  Print  

Jump to: