AssemblyBoard
April 25, 2024, 10:43:20 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
  Print  
Author Topic: QUESTION OF THE DAY/OPINIONS WELCOME  (Read 107941 times)
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #135 on: May 25, 2005, 06:05:57 am »

Hello BB participants:

I have received a bunch of complaints about how Lenore is being treated on the BB by Brent.  These people want me to do something about this.

[b] I want to let everyone know that the only ability I have to influence Brent is via entreaty and by prayer.  He has Adminstrator status on the BB, and is free to do and say whatever he wants.  If he doesn't agree with me that calling people "Windbags, Freaks, hypocrites, etc." is rude behavior he probably will continue to do as he has in the past.

It takes two to fight (as I used to tell my kids Wink), and so somebody in this situation will have to decide to be the adult in this war of words.

Verne's suggestion was a good one:  Let's just talk about something else---- Please don't tell me "but he/she started it" it brings back too many memories of when my girls were pre-teens Wink

Yes, I have used sarcasm to make my point----- Grow-up!!!  

I will not make appeals to Christian attitudes and behaviors, or offer reams of scriptural advice on this subject because it apparently will be dismissed as hypocrisy, or irrevelant.  

Yes, anything can happen when you post on a BB, but is this what we want from this forum?  I think we are much better than this!  

Disagree, and disagree strongly and passionately, if you are so inclined, but don't strive to bite and devour one another!! (oops-- I appealed to the Bible Embarrassed Wink)   Hurt is what happens when we try and argue our point via personal insult.

I hope this is a word to the wise that will be sufficient.

God Bless all us Kids,
                                                                         Mark C.

editor
« Reply #136 on: May 25, 2005, 06:37:22 am »

I'm sorry I was so blunt, Brent, and I know you are a man of strong convictions, but sometimes I think you get carried away.  Your response here does seem to be a little "all or nothing" type of response and I know you are thinking - "that woman is never happy" and I wouldn't blame you.  I think Lenore is a decent person although she may not do things entirely the way you or I would.  She is the Lord's though and that makes her very special.

I care about you and relate to you a lot of the time, but I had to say something here.

Sondra

p.s.  Verne, your kindness surprised me.  While I am sure you did not respond on account of my appeal - still it did not go unnoticed. 

I appreciate blunt.  I much prefer it to spineless, two-faced, deceptive, phoney, or little white lies.

Blunt honesty is just the thing.  I don't see how you can go wrong with it, in most cases. 
Every now and then some surgical, anesthetized honesty is needed, but only in the most delicate cases.  Certainly it won't work where the blunt type is called for. 

So, please don't apologize for being blunt.  If more people were honest and upfront about what they believe, we would all be horribly surprised, I am sure. I am convinced that the average go along-get along type of person has private thoughts that would shock most people!  They have opinions, love, hatred and passion, like anyone else, but they are too cowardly to share what they really believe.

When this type of person becomes the norm, we have a society of drones, who are willing to follow orders, so that they can go-along-get-along.  It happened a generation ago, and a generation before that, and so on.  Bluntness is always what stops this sort of thing from getting worse.

At some point in human history, the most rude, violent, intrusive event to ever occur will happen.  Bluntness will be brought to a new level.  A short trial, where One Person is judge, jury and Monarch, will occur and punishment will be given instantly, without appeal.  That's blunt. 

Anyway, I digress and speed away from the topic.

I have little respect for a careful, lukewarm, polite friendly person, who I know can't be counted on.  But I have plenty of respect for a bold, principled and passionate enemy.  (you're not an enemy, don't worry)

I have love and respect towards a bold, courageous, honest, loyal and principled friend, who knows when to speak up.  We all need someone like that, and I feel sorry for those who don't have one, or who are afraid of it. 

Someday, what was said in secret will be shouted from the housetops....God is blunt, even rude by some measure. 

Blunt is good.  I lament the fact that we have so little black and white anymore.
tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #137 on: May 25, 2005, 07:08:34 am »

I'll stop being a Jerk now.

Lenore, post as often as wish, say anything you wish, and use the BB in any manner you choose to use it.

I'll not say another word about you, ever.  If you attack me, the only response I will make is to delete your post and your account.

You are now officially ignored on my part.  Your email and e-greetings will continue to be deleted.  Please feel at home to share with everyone about your clear spiritual insight.

Brent

agreed

I forgive you.

Thank you for the compliment for undoubtly seeing with clear spiritual eyes.

I only said one negative word, prior to all of this, it was when I put my foot in my mouth over a misunderstanding in a conversation.  You told me that I was forgiven and the topic wont be mention again.

I will not say another negative word against , because as far as I am concerned this discussion is over.
I dont hold grudges, I air them to let go of them.

You know what I do hope a psychology student, or research is being conducted on this website, because all the human interaction, and so called Christian human interaction, would make on great paper.

Lenore
tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #138 on: May 25, 2005, 07:15:18 am »

P.S. I'd love to visit Canada, but I am severely allergic to Moose--if I watch "Rocky and Bullwinkle" I break out in a rash.

Thanks, Joe

Dont worry Joe the Moose only get contagious allergy wise, during the Rut season.

Do they still have Rocky and Bullwinkle on?  I used to love that cartoon.
I did love Tom and Jerry too.

There was also a cartoon about a walrus and a penquin, penquin voice was also Get Smart
"Don Adams".
I cant remember the title of the cartoon. 
Do you know it?

We had a Canadian Show here called Check It Out, starting Don Adams.

Would you know if this actor is still living.
Because it been almost 40 years since Get Smart was on.

Maybe some Get Smart Trivia would be fun.

1. There was an actor name Victor French - Little House on Prairie-Highway to Heaven -
who use to appear on Get Smart.
What was his character?
tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #139 on: May 25, 2005, 07:22:14 am »

Hi Lenore:
You did not ask for it but here is my two cents sister.
What the folk on this BB say and think about you is of very little consequence in my opinion.
As a Christian you are a child of the King and your destiny is one of glory. Period.
I think it was a mistake to unveil your personal life on the BB as it has brought you nothing but conflict and heartache.
Here is my advice:

Pretend that you never mentioned your social situation.

Simply trust God to show you if, how and when He may want you to make a change. Stop talking about this. There are lots of other interesting things to talk about.
Verne
p.s. I am re-reading the book of Genesis. If you care to share some insights we could talk about it.
Have you read the recent book The Nephilim and the Pyramid of the Apocalypse by Patrick Herron ?

http://www.nephilimapocalypse.com/

Where are you in Genesis?

I am teaching in my Sunday School class about Joseph , going from a 17 year old boy to the ruler of a nation. All the trials he has been going through.

During our Sunday Service this past week. We are being lead by my Pastor, on Faith.
Faith as a Adventure.  The examples of Abraham.
One of the aspects is Faith is an Adventure of Obedience. Even though Abraham was called righteous, his journey of Obedience was not immediate.

No I have not read the above mention books.  Although I have read the fictional account of Revelations "LEFT BEHIND SERIES" The first book was very compelling, I couldnt put it down.

So yes I would like to discuss Genesis with you.

Lenore
M2
« Reply #140 on: May 25, 2005, 08:58:20 am »

Marcia I dont want to fight with you.

I have one small favour to ask you.  Mind your own business please.

I emailed you a response and was going to ignore this but changed my mind based on the fact that you made subsequent posts on this BB.

A contrary POV should not be viewed as fighting.

If you post or email me your business, then expect that I will comment.

On second thoughts, I am loathe to comment on anything that you post because you say that Other Opinions Are Welcome  but it does not look like you mean it.

I disagree with you that you are undoubtedly seeing with clear spiritual eyes.  Your spirituality is clouded.

Marcia
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #141 on: May 25, 2005, 09:22:53 am »

Verne,

Are you talking about me?  This is very depressing and discouraging.  You are not being very supportive and understanding.  I know you didn't like my pseudonym MGov, but tough.

Marcia aka MGov aka M2 aka MM Smiley

I thought "rylan" was a little wierd, too.  Grin (originally, "he" had your email address. Wink )
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #142 on: May 25, 2005, 09:52:21 am »

Huh Huh  rylan had my email address Huh

Sorry moonflower.  enlighten me on this one.

Marcia aka Jane Doe Smiley
They sent me a couple pm's that had mm as part of their email address or their name that came up on the pm's that they sent me. It seems that they lived in CA, though, and I forgot about that.
On a joking thread, they outed me on a post last summer, then immediately deleted that particular post. Sorry. I know you don't "out" anon posters.

So, nevermind. I'm just tired. Bad couple of weeks.
vernecarty
« Reply #143 on: May 25, 2005, 03:10:22 pm »

Where are you in Genesis?

I am teaching in my Sunday School class about Joseph , going from a 17 year old boy to the ruler of a nation. All the trials he has been going through.

During our Sunday Service this past week. We are being lead by my Pastor, on Faith.
Faith as a Adventure.  The examples of Abraham.
One of the aspects is Faith is an Adventure of Obedience. Even though Abraham was called righteous, his journey of Obedience was not immediate.

No I have not read the above mention books.  Although I have read the fictional account of Revelations "LEFT BEHIND SERIES" The first book was very compelling, I couldnt put it down.

So yes I would like to discuss Genesis with you.

Lenore

I got a new Bible and started readng through it and again had my attention arrested by the flood story.
I still have not decided on who I think is right about the identity of the "Sons of God" in Genesis 6.
Very able scholars like Gleason Archer and J Sidlow Baxter reject the idea that it is referring to angels. Bullinger thinks that it is and makes what I think is a very strong case. He is right that in almost every case the specific Hebrew expression refers to angelic beings.
He also gives some good insight as to why the flood was necessary.
He contends that what it means that Noash was "perfect in his generations" has to do with genetic purity and that all of the rest of humanity had become corrupted because angelic beings inter-married with human women to produce the giants of ancient times. Patrick Herron thinks that this will happen again.
Makes you wonder about the alien abduction stories doesn't it?
Both Jude and Peter provide some insight that Bullinger may be right. (2 Peter 2:4 Jude 6)

Jude said that the sin of Sodom and Gomorrha was the same as the angels that "kept not their first estate".

And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.
Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

I also realised that what Sondra said earlier about the flesh also being a doorway for demonic infiltraton is probably right for that is exactly what Jude 8 states.

Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh...

The reference seems specific to sexual sin.

Anyway, that is where I am right now and instead of reading straight through as I planned, it looks like I am going to get stuck on this theme as it is so interesting. I am re-reading Archer's analysis for balance...
Has anyone at your churhch preached on this?
Verne
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 09:25:31 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
vernecarty
« Reply #144 on: May 25, 2005, 03:27:26 pm »

Blunt is good.  I lament the fact that we have so little black and white anymore.

Hey! I'm Black!   Grin
Verne
tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #145 on: May 25, 2005, 07:13:34 pm »

I guess I should of said I am not going to argue on this point with you.

Opinions is welcome yes, but when it gets into demands, then they are no longer opinion, when it gets into personal vendetta, it is not longer an opinion,
when it gets to ridiculing someone to the ground it is not longer an opinion.

If there is a valid opinion on a subject with different viewpoints, then express them, even on the welfare myth that you so feel like you h ave been denied the discussion.

No I am not going to give you more fuel for the fire.

Marcia You have an obvious habit of "the pot calling the kettle black"

Maybe someone will enlighten you what that means.

I was not into hero worshipping , pouring oil on the head of a modern day moses, and kissing the feet of hero saviour. 

What you fire at me in accusations, is what the mirror should be showing in yourself as well, because I have seen it in reverse.

This is just my opinions, and observations and I am expressing these opinion, in as gently as I could. Your opinions are welcome. But I am not going to get into a cat fight with you on this one.
Minding your own business, meant that interferring in the decision about me working , That decision is between me and my doctor, Ultimate between me and God. For this decision, there is peace. Until circumstances changes, then God peace will be with me, as he opens the door to a full time job, that would make me self sufficient.

I agree with Verne & Mark:  Drop it. and talk about something else.

Lenore
tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #146 on: May 25, 2005, 07:18:05 pm »

I got a new Bible and started readng trough it and again had my attention arrested by the flood story.
I still have not decided on who I think is right about the identity of the "Sons of God" in Genesis 6.
Very able scholars like Gleason Archer and J Sidlow Baxter reject the idea that it is referring to angels. Bullinger thinks that it is and makes what I think is a very strong case. He is right that in almost every case the specific Hebrew expression refers to angelic beings.
He also gives some good insight as to why the flood was necessary.
He contends that what it means that Noash was "perfect in his generations" has to do with genetic purity and that all of the rest of humanity had become corrupted because angelic beings inter-married with human women to produce the giants of ancient times. Patrick Herron thinks that this will happen again.
Makes you wonder about the alien abduction stories doesn't it?
Both Jude and Peter provide some insight that Bullinger may be right. (2 Peter 2:4 Jude 6)

Jude said that the sin of Sodom and Gomorrha was the same as the angels that "kept not their first estate".

And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.
Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

I also realised that what Sondra said earlier about the flesh also being a doorway for demonic infiltraton is probably right for that is exactly what Jude 8 states.

Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh...

The reference seems specific to sexual sin.

Anyway, that is where I am right now and instead of reading straight through as I planned, it looks like I am going to get stuck on this theme as it is so interesting. I am re-reading Archer's analysis for balance...
Has anyone at your churhch preached on this?
Verne

Not yet. I will read up to Genesis 6, unfortunately I do not have an Old Testament Commentary,  but I do have some handbooks.

Dont forget , this country is in political correctness mode, fighting for the bill, granting same sex marriage to fall.
Most churches are holding their breaths waiting .

Got to go. I have an appointment at urotherapy.

Talk to you later.

Lenore
M2
« Reply #147 on: May 25, 2005, 07:48:40 pm »

I guess I should of said I am not going to argue on this point with you.

Opinions is welcome yes, but when it gets into demands, then they are no longer opinion, when it gets into personal vendetta, it is not longer an opinion,
when it gets to ridiculing someone to the ground it is not longer an opinion.

If there is a valid opinion on a subject with different viewpoints, then express them, even on the welfare myth that you so feel like you h ave been denied the discussion.

No I am not going to give you more fuel for the fire.

Marcia You have an obvious habit of "the pot calling the kettle black"

Maybe someone will enlighten you what that means.

I was not into hero worshipping , pouring oil on the head of a modern day moses, and kissing the feet of hero saviour. 

What you fire at me in accusations, is what the mirror should be showing in yourself as well, because I have seen it in reverse.

This is just my opinions, and observations and I am expressing these opinion, in as gently as I could. Your opinions are welcome. But I am not going to get into a cat fight with you on this one.
Minding your own business, meant that interferring in the decision about me working , That decision is between me and my doctor, Ultimate between me and God. For this decision, there is peace. Until circumstances changes, then God peace will be with me, as he opens the door to a full time job, that would make me self sufficient.

I agree with Verne & Mark:  Drop it. and talk about something else.

Lenore

This really irks me.  You send me your sob story.  I respond to you stating clearly that it is my opinion on the matter.  You label it as interfering.

Also it is a good cop out to discredit the person then you don't have to even consider what the person it saying.  I had discussions like this with young teens.  Teen would say, "You're a hypocrite..."  which may or may not be true, but it certainly did not have anything to do with the issue at hand.

Like I said I can discuss with whomever if they are willing to have an honest discussion.  You don't like that I agree with Brent so you call it loyalty or hero worship etc...  I will not be your support group and flatter you to remain in your good books.

As they say, the squeaky wheel get the oil.  With young ones it was easy to side with the noise maker and silence the other just to get peace and quiet.  I realized that that was very unfair to the other and, peace and quiet or not,  I had to learn to deal with the real issue.  Often one would be enjoying some activity and another would come along and want to take over with the complaint "he's not sharing with me".

Lenore, stop acting like a kid.  I am tired of your temper tantrums.  It is time to grow up!!

The board is yours.  Do as you please.  I will check in later to see if there is any other discussion happening.

I've also got to go.

Marcia
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #148 on: May 25, 2005, 08:21:27 pm »

Responding to a few posts down:

Lenore---

The cartoon with the penguin that had Dan Adam's voice I believe was
called "Tennessee Tuxedo". You're also right that Victor French did appear
on "Get Smart" as a co-agent of agent 86(Don Adams)---he didn't have a
beard like he did on "Little House" or "Highway to Heaven". On Get Smart
he usually would appear as someone hiding in a trash can and popping up
with the trash can lid still on top of his head, or some other crazy stunt like
that.

--Joe
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 08:23:13 pm by Joe Sperling » Logged
vernecarty
« Reply #149 on: May 25, 2005, 09:17:55 pm »

Not yet. I will read up to Genesis 6, unfortunately I do not have an Old Testament Commentary,  but I do have some handbooks.

Dont forget , this country is in political correctness mode, fighting for the bill, granting same sex marriage to fall.
Most churches are holding their breaths waiting .

Got to go. I have an appointment at urotherapy.

Talk to you later.

Lenore

How do you generally approach your study of a book of the Bible?
Some folk prefer a thematic approach. Of course those of us with an assembly history were drilled in a modified inductive method. I have found that often a book will naturally suggest to us how to approach it. For example in Genesis, a good bird's eye view is to think about it in terms of the seven great lives portrayed.
In fact the theme of generations, seem to be the central one of the entire Bible.
At the outset we appear to have a broad introduction of the generations of both heaven and earth, with an early focus on earthly generations, going selectively and ultimately to the book of the generation of Jesus Christ in Matthew, and of which line,we Christians are a part...royalty!  Smiley
Verne
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 09:20:25 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
  Print  

Jump to: