AssemblyBoard
April 19, 2024, 08:31:32 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Taboos as an AK  (Read 56715 times)
kitten77

Email
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2003, 05:36:50 am »

Good thread.  I remember that being involved in a non-sport, non-choir type after school activity was particularly frowned upon.  In the midwest playing sports wasn't that big of a deal, but watch out if you were in theatre, martial arts or  Shocked the big no-no, Jazz Choir!  Yowsers!  
Joel Mathews

Email
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2003, 07:12:47 am »

Hey, what about this one: getting a tattoo of a bible verse. i also think that secular music was a no no for the assemblies. i remember the rules during teen teams and such against secular music.
Nate Dogg

Email
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2003, 09:58:39 pm »

these are hilarious! I remember being forbid to do karate because you had to "worship" other gods. also, I remember trying to explain why i couldnt go trick or treating with my friends-- somehow the explanation that this was an occult holiday never convinced them.

nate
d3z

Email
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2003, 10:06:47 pm »

also, I remember trying to explain why i couldnt go trick or treating with my friends-- somehow the explanation that this was an occult holiday never convinced them.

Interesting, because most Christians I know, even outside of the assembly, consider trick or treating to be an occult activity, and do not let their children have anything to do with it.

What is different, is that many churches around host alternative activities on Oct 31, so that parents can have something to take their kids to (rather than just forbidding something).
Nate Dogg

Email
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2003, 10:20:37 pm »

Really?  Cheesy That I did not know. I was under the impression that we were about the only ones aside from Southern baptists who didn't. at any rate... there are a number of Christian and other everyday practices that have their roots in paganism. Early Christianity influenced and was heavily influenced by North Africa (St Augustine was African) and drumming, which comes from Africa, was (and is) used to call up the spirits of ancestors. It seems like there are any number of things that we could eliminate in our life because they have "pagan" roots. the word "Amen" has been shown to have linguistic roots with the Egyptian god Amun-Ra...anyway, what do other people think? Should Christians celebrate Halloween? should we celebrate any holiday? I could tell you some pretty awful stories of the origins of Thanksgiving if you'd like to hear them.
          peace and blessings,

Nate
David Mauldin
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2003, 01:02:03 am »

Hi My name is David Mauldin I am 42 years old!  I was in the assembly since I was 18 until 34. While in fellowship I was so busy I didn't have time to develope any talents.  I now enjoy dancing.  I am sorry if this is a stumbling block to some people but for me it has done wonders.  I love to move around and have fun with other people.  During square dancing I laugh with my friends because we mess up all the time.  I also am into drawing/painting.  I am not ashamed of my work!  In fact I am very proud of it! I also question everything now. Is something like dancing really wrong?  Why? where does it say in the Bible?  Many rules that our parents/leaders place on us are grounded in their own insecurities.  I can't help but notice the great emphasis that immigrants have put on religion in America?  I think this has a lot to do with the anxiety parents feel when they see the indipendent spirit so activly displayed by American youth.  wouldn't just developing a good healthy relationship with your children be much better? What a shame to deny children these facets of exploration and developement!  Oh yes I love to sing also yet not just the hymns  Las t year I got to sing Memorie from Cats!  In church!!! Oh my  Shocked
« Last Edit: February 11, 2003, 10:54:02 pm by David Mauldin » Logged
Railrider

Email
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2003, 08:20:27 am »

You really hit the nail on the head there, David. The feeling that people had no chances to develop their God-given talents in the assembly (except for singing, i suppose) was a major issue for me. When our family left the assembly I was told by a peer from the assembly that everyone should quit their jobs and be like George. Why did God give us talents if he wanted us to wander the streets homeless and destitute as we preached the word? Or should there be those designated to the earn the money and those who spend it as George did? He definately wasn't living in a cardboard box.
psalm51

Email
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2003, 08:33:58 am »

As the mother of AK's I remember being discouraged in letting my sons join Boy scouts, although I can't remember why.  I was also questioned about my involvement in Moms-in-Touch, a prayer group with other Christian moms  who had kids in public schools. Although both of these "taboos" went by the way side in the past several years when other saints' children were old enough to be involved in such things. Funny.
When I taught piano many years ago. I had several students from a Christian family who were not in the assembly. They were not allowed to read the Narnia series by C. S. Lewis because there was a witch in it. I remember that the little girl, about age 11, really wanted to read them and asked me about them when she saw them on my bookshelf. I felt bad that I couldn't let her, but did not want to go against the wishes of her parents. I hope she got a chance to read them when she grew up.
Anyway, the assembly did not have a monopoly on strange ideas or restrictive attitudes, although it tried real hard. Sad
Don't even get me started on fantasy books for children...and assembly views.
a librarian and mother of AK's
Luke Robinson

Email
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2003, 02:10:43 pm »

Well, there was this one time when I wanted to get the big toe on my right foot pierced, my belly-button pierced, my nose pierced, both eye-balls pierced, and a chain that would connect all of them.  But alas, I was turned down.

And then there was the time I wanted to dye my hair blue, then shave my head, and glue all the clippings to my shoulders.  But, alas, I started stumbling people at the swim fellowships.  

OH!! And then, I wanted to move to Ghana and build a hut completely out of post-it notes and live as a hermit for the rest of my days, but alas, no again.

I could go on for hours.

OH YEAH!  And remember the time I wanted to become a CIA agent and also a Ninja, but since I would be trained as a professional assassin, alas, I was turned down.

And then, I was into a phase where I was dating famous people, and I wanted to go line-dancing with Cher, but Cher turned me down, and alas, it just wasn't right.  Her being about thirty or forty years my senior. (How old is she anyways?)

Oh and last but not least, the time I wanted to make an ant farm out of the head-covering box was, alas, turned down.  Sisters started complaining.

These were some of my simple pleasures in life and them being dashed against the rocks.   Cry  

I know that some of you can relate so these things that I have suffered.  

I have many more, and will promise to let you know if I can remember any others.

Luke Robinson

« Last Edit: February 08, 2003, 02:11:58 pm by Luke Robinson » Logged
psalm51

Email
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2003, 10:18:03 pm »

I bet you played with toy guns as a child, too. Didn't you, Luke?  Water guns? huh?
wolverine

Email
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2003, 11:31:42 pm »

If Luke is under GA.com discipline why is he allowed to post???  I cannot go along with this...he needs to repent and come clean before he should be allowed to post...

BrentTr0ckmanFan

(this website is definitely giving me upper-cervical pain...can anyone help?Huh)
Luke Robinson

Email
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2003, 08:50:00 am »

Paul,

You need to repent for being a bad colonel.  You're more like a whipping boy at GA.com. Grin

And maybe you need to find another site to post, such as www.first-class-hoosier.com.  Haven't checked if it is a web site, but if it was, you should be a colonel there, too.  Grin

Brother Superior,

Luke
brainboy

Email
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2003, 09:23:39 am »

Luke, i definately feel your pain.  i have many experiences like yours, but i'd have to say that the most notable one was..........i'm sorry...this is painful, but i was discussing my plan for complete world domination with the leaders, and they said i needed to find at least 7 verses(in the original greek) and 3 songs to back up my actions.  well, i don't speak greek, so my aspirations were dashed into little tiny pieces.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2003, 10:40:59 am by Paul Robinson Fan » Logged
David Mauldin
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2003, 10:50:44 pm »

Pat I would love to go on about the error of censorship, even in the school district. I am a fourth grade teacher.  It is a mistake to take God/the supernatural out of education!  Children have an inate capacity to believe .  To just teach dry facts is a total turn off!  Yet involving stories/legends/myths/fantasy seems to have a wonderous effecton my students.  Its as if they beginn to use their whole brain all of a sudden.  Their capacity to speculate, to predict to imagine ect... I met a woman from a Calvery Chapel who didn't let her children read The Littel Mermaid etc... "Ther e aren't any such things as mermaids!" she said.  We are decieving our children.  Yet the bible is filled with the supernatural!  Even witches!  (O.K. No good witches just bad ones!)
lemonlime

Email
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2003, 06:46:02 am »

bonafide:

everything i listed is how i feel things are, at least here. if you disagree, there's no need to be rude; i'm open to discussions if you ever want to contact me.
love in Christ,
Emily
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: