AssemblyBoard
April 27, 2024, 03:37:47 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: new boards  (Read 46410 times)
editor
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2004, 01:59:00 am »

Hi everyone -

GA.com is back up.  The problem was that the "rent" had not been paid, as Al so delicately put it to us.  

It's been exactly two years since Brent first put up the website!  An incredible lot has happened since then.  It's amazing how active it still is.  Current daily average stats are:
     Visitors   128
     Pageviews   288
     Hits   354

I hope to have a bit more time to work on it now, and am open to any suggestions for improvements or changes.  Two things I have in mind are 1) book and video reviews  2)  condensed versions of existing long articles  3) adding a section that gives a brief introduction to the assembly for friends/family.  Other ideas are welcome.  

Along the lines of Becky's post, we are being linked to by other websites.  One is a new one put up by Chris and Jenn Lawson, formerly assembly observers from SLO, currently missionaries in Scotland.  The link is http://www.spiritual-research-network.com/  

Cheers,

Margaret

Just to plug the website Margaret listed, Chris and Jenn are close friends of ours, and both were intrumental in helping us get free.  Chris was a strong supporter of the website, and was a key person I bounced things off of when getting things going.

I highly recommend their website, and will vouch for their humble, simple faith and love for all the saints.

Brent
editor
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2005, 08:50:50 am »

WOW!

Brians back,

Nice new boards Brian!

Brent
Mark Kisla
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2005, 09:53:07 am »

WoW
Thank You Brian
« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 09:59:23 am by Mark Kisla » Logged
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2005, 10:01:17 am »

Very cool Brian, Thanks!

Is it supposed to be backwards from how the old one was?

al
editor
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2005, 10:05:41 am »

Very cool Brian, Thanks!

Is it supposed to be backwards from how the old one was?

al

Al, go to your profile, and snoop around to the layout and preferences button and choose newest posts on top, and it'll be just like the old board.

Brent
brian

Email
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2005, 11:58:51 am »

yes indeed, we have a shiny new bb. the old one was developing problems, and they quit making updates for it, so i converted the old bb to a new, although related, piece of bb software. it has more options and features. notably: if you really liked the way the board looked before and have a hard time dealing with change, you can change it back to the old look under your Profile options. after clicking on the Profile button above, click on Look and Layout Preferences on the left side of the screen. then you will see an option called Current Theme, and a link next to it that says Change. click it and change away, if thats what you so desire. you'll see several other options around that the old bb didn't have, that will hopefully improve your bb experience. if something isn't working, you can't log in, etc, drop me an email and i will try to be helpful. enjoy!

brian
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2005, 11:02:52 pm »

Brent, for calling me a "snoop," and Brian, for implying that I can't accept change:

Next time I'm in your neck o' the woods, you can expect me to strike you with my cane, by cracky! Grin

For real:  Thanks, Fellers!!! Smiley

al
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2005, 03:44:32 am »

There seem to be many posts missing!  Shocked

Simply looking at the count of posts, it looks like there are about 2500 posts missing.

There used to be about 18500 posts, and now there are about 16000 posts.

There are at least 39 of my posts missing, based on comparing posts that I have files of with what's on the board.

I hope that Brian can find a way to recover the missing posts.
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2005, 04:17:23 am »

He's right. The total is changed.
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2005, 07:24:32 pm »

Yep. Up and disappeared. The total listed for each of us doesn't match the number of actual posts that can be viewed.

Are they missing or were they deleted?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2005, 07:28:28 pm by moonflower2 » Logged
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2005, 10:49:58 pm »

Yep. Up and disappeared. The total listed for each of us doesn't match the number of actual posts that can be viewed.

Are they missing or were they deleted?

Since this BB software was written by different people from the old BB software, the database contains the post data in a different format and organization from the way the old BB did it.  In order to change to the new BB system, it was necessary to use a converter to import the data from the old database to the new one.  Either there are bugs in the converter algorithm, or else there were some minor errors or glitches in the data that the old BB was able to overlook, but the converter choked on.

I noticed that some threads are completely gone, and parts of others are missing.  For example, in the "Wounded Pilgrims" thread on page 3, reply #34 on January 22, 2003, 11:03:16 pm is immediately followed by reply #35 on January 31, 2005, 11:49:56 am.  This means that more than 2 years worth of the thread is gone.  It wouldn't surprise me if Mark Campbell was a little unhappy about this.  I hope he has backup copies of the things that he posted.

I'm hoping that Brian still has the old database and is able to find a way to patch up problems with the converter.  Then he could rerun the conversion.  The past couple of days of posts may be lost, but that is better than losing many days of old posts, some of which were very important.
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2005, 08:05:05 pm »

I'm curious.

We haven't heard from any administrators about the missing posts. I'd like to know how they disappeared.

Thanks
brian

Email
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2005, 07:04:23 am »

i apologize for the missing posts problem. as a stop-gap measure, i setup a modified version of the old board here:

http://www.assemblyboard.com/oldbb

wounded pilgrims lost a lot of posts in the conversion. can anyone identify other major areas that lost posts? if i could get help pinpointing what posts need to be restored, then i could import just the missing ones.

also, one person has reported that the Quote button was not showing up for them in the 'Life with Verne' thread. is anyone else having quote problems?
vernecarty
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2005, 09:39:08 am »

i apologize for the missing posts problem. as a stop-gap measure, i setup a modified version of the old board here:

also, one person has reported that the Quote button was not showing up for them in the 'Life with Verne' thread. is anyone else having quote problems?

That's because for some reason the thread was locked.
Verne
brian

Email
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2005, 09:53:34 am »

That's because for some reason the thread was locked.
Verne

ah, so it is. was, rather Smiley couldn't see a reason why it was locked, so i unlocked it. if anyone has objections, feel free to drop me a note.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: