AssemblyBoard
April 18, 2024, 11:11:10 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: one big happy family  (Read 2477 times)
brian

Email
« on: July 03, 2006, 09:04:31 pm »

when i was a kid, i always tried to figure out how we could all be decended from adam or noah and still be so different. it turns out our common ancestor lived as early as a couple thousand years ago. how bizzare!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060701/ap_on_sc/brotherhood_of_man;_ylt=AljYWhXKss8Eulzka6QKBqUDW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBhZDhxNDFzBHNlYwNtZW5ld3M-

"With the help of a statistician, a computer scientist and a supercomputer, Olson has calculated just how interconnected the human family tree is. You would have to go back in time only 2,000 to 5,000 years — and probably on the low side of that range — to find somebody who could count every person alive today as a descendant.

Furthermore, Olson and his colleagues have found that if you go back a little farther — about 5,000 to 7,000 years ago — everybody living today has exactly the same set of ancestors. In other words, every person who was alive at that time is either an ancestor to all 6 billion people living today, or their line died out and they have no remaining descendants."

this is how my geeky minds works: an accurate portrayal of time travel in a sci fi flick would show that if time travellers went back more than a few thousand years and killed anyone - everyone in the present day would have a completely different genetic makeup. different personality, different haircolor, everything - including all the folks that were time traveling.

and thats my non sequitur for the day Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: