AssemblyBoard
May 01, 2024, 07:53:55 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: April 19, 1775 Something to be Proud About  (Read 5853 times)
David Mauldin
« on: July 04, 2006, 10:16:28 am »

Today I find much to be ashamed and very little to be proud about my country, however there was a time, just 236 years ago, when common hard working men, women and their children spit in the face of a pompous ass bully and for a little while changed the world they lived in. On April 19, 1775 Paul Revere, William Dawes, and Samuel Prescott alerted the Massachusetts countryside that British officers and infantry, wearing their proud red tunics and white trousers, were marching towards Lexington and Concord. American militia
wearing their work clothes and carrying their personal firearms came from all directions. They had had enough of the British crap! They had had enough of being treated as substandard citizens in a land that they had conquered, cultivated and protected. On the North Bridge the British got a taste of what they were in for. They quickly decided to return back to their base. On the road the Minutemen made good work of them! By the time they made it back to Boston 273 of them lay dead and suddenly the British realized they were in another world. They were occupiers in a foreign country whose inhabitants had no respect for their birth. No longer were they the privilege of commoner deference. No longer would hard working men who sweat in the fields be tipping their hat or looking down when they pass on the street or enter a tavern. Yep today I can't find much to be patriotic about, but wouldn't be great to go back in time and stand along side of these men?!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 10:25:59 am by David Mauldin » Logged
outdeep

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 08:29:37 pm »

Today I find much to be ashamed and very little to be proud about my country, however there was a time, just 236 years ago, when common hard working men, women and their children spit in the face of a pompous ass bully and for a little while changed the world they lived in. On April 19, 1775 Paul Revere, William Dawes, and Samuel Prescott alerted the Massachusetts countryside that British officers and infantry, wearing their proud red tunics and white trousers, were marching towards Lexington and Concord. American militia
wearing their work clothes and carrying their personal firearms came from all directions. They had had enough of the British crap! They had had enough of being treated as substandard citizens in a land that they had conquered, cultivated and protected. On the North Bridge the British got a taste of what they were in for. They quickly decided to return back to their base. On the road the Minutemen made good work of them! By the time they made it back to Boston 273 of them lay dead and suddenly the British realized they were in another world. They were occupiers in a foreign country whose inhabitants had no respect for their birth. No longer were they the privilege of commoner deference. No longer would hard working men who sweat in the fields be tipping their hat or looking down when they pass on the street or enter a tavern. Yep today I can't find much to be patriotic about, but wouldn't be great to go back in time and stand along side of these men?!
I think Saddam Hussan is a pomous ass bully and I'm proud of my country for taking him down.
Jem

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 12:18:26 am »

Dave M,

As Rafiki would say, "Look harder."
David Mauldin
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 03:45:51 am »

O.K. Jem, let's "look harder"  The U.S. sent a vastly technologically superior army into Iraq 4 years ago. Yet Iraqi resistors continue to frustrate any attempts made at securing the country. Saddam Hussan is alive and well, he has recently been quoted as offering the U.S. help in getting Iraq under control again. Meanwhile U.S. servicemen continue to be arrested for the killings and rapes of innocent children and women. Osama Bin Laden has named Zarqawi's successor. 2,500 U.S. servicemen are dead. 30,000 U.S. servicemen have lifelong injuries. The cost of this war is estimated in the trillions. Jem could it be that you need glasses? I find it much easier to be proud of The Tipton Three. These three Briitish nationals were picked up by U.S. forces in Afghanistan, repeatedly beaten up, falsely accused, denied representation or contact with anyone, moved to Guantanamo Bay and tortured and demoralized for two years. Throughout their ordeal they refused to "confess" their guilt. Finally their U.S. captors admitted to making a "big mistake". Jem who do you admire more these men or their U.S. captors?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 04:22:12 am by David Mauldin » Logged
Jem

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 08:55:31 pm »

290,000,000 Americans and you define "America" by the Bush Administration? And you define the military only by rogue criminals and by the dead and wounded? That explains your lack of being able to find any reason for pride in America.
Oscar

Email
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 10:58:55 am »

Dave,

The evil, benighted, oppressive United States of America that you so despise has provided more freedom, more prosperity to more people than any other country in the history of mankind!

Or, perhaps, you could name a country that has exceeded this accomplishment?

Thomas Maddux
Joe S.

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 08:22:03 pm »

One thing Vietnam should have taught us is that when we go into a conflict we should go in to win. Those calling for troops to be removed from Iraq are the ones who need glasses. If we were to leave now at such a crucial time all the efforts made would be for nothing. 2500 soldiers are dead--this is indeed sad, but it is an amazingly small number compared to other wars.

To say that American soldiers "continue to be arrested for the rape and killing of women and children" is to use a broad brush stroke on all American troops. There are bad people everywhere, but the vast majority of American soldiers are decent, moral and dedicated people.

I am proud of them, and I am proud of America.

--Joe
Oscar

Email
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 12:58:03 am »

Joe,

What really motivates folks like Dave is that they hate anyone who disagrees with them.  The details of their arguments are merely selected to support their self-righteous condemnation of people who live in the real world.

They are weeping and wailing over the costs, human and financial, of the war.  But they certainly aren't out marching to get drunk and stoned drivers off our roads.  These two alone kill around 40,000 folks a year.  Then there are the kids who drown in swimming pools, several thousand a year, the people killed in bicycle accidents, around 14,000 a year, bathtub falls...on and on.

These are things that could actually be dealt with...but not a word from these great lovers of mankind....oooops!, personkind.

What it is really about is the purile hatred of authority and those who believe in a moral society.  A society that is safe for children, both born and unborn.  A society that is not drug and alcohol ridden, where marriages are stable, where the streets are safe from gangs and where criminals are in jail.

These are all things that the evil conservatives want...and the good, kind, compassionate lefties oppose.  Oh, they are for safe streets, but not at the cost of encarcerating crooks.

Strange, isn't it.

Thomas Maddux
summer007

Email
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 06:16:10 am »

David has never been for the Iraqi war remember the old thread? I think he just likes to ruffel a few feathers, and he does. David is one of the Lords little lost sheep and he needs alot of Love he was stumbled terribly in the Assm. He doesn't have to be a Patriot. Just my 2 cents.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: