AssemblyBoard
April 20, 2024, 04:21:56 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: San Fransisco Seminar???  (Read 33685 times)
vernecarty
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2005, 09:24:04 am »

Verne, The one's that thought they were doing God's will, do you really think God will let them off the hook? If they were truly seeking Glory, Honor and Immortality Ro 2:7 Yes! The ones doing evil indignation and wrath No! I would think an LB who questioned the system after GG and the Bros got through with him, he was shut-up and made to feel he was wrong for questioning. Except for the few that have spoke out I'm sure they've just put the Past behind them. Summer

Not all leading brothers were workers. It is possible that some of these men were not privy to some of the dishonoring things that were taking place. This is almost certainly not the case with anyone who was a worker.
They all saw George at his "best" and elected to remain associated with him notwithstanding. I have said before that you could not remain associated with a man like this for any length of time and not be severely compromised in every way. This is not just my opnion. It is also the judgment of several people I know who served with Geftakys and ultimately left.
God speaks to his men.
Either they were not God's men, or God spoke and they ignored him.
Around truly spirit-filled men of discernment who lived in God's presence, George would have lasted for one pico-second. That is the reality. Don't any one offer me lying excuses for I know better.
Remember Nadab and Abihu?
You bring anything unholy into God's presence, and something's gotta give...think about what this says about so many of us...
Verne
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 09:37:00 am by VerneCarty » Logged
summer007

Email
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2005, 10:05:01 am »

Verne, I agree with what your saying. What it says to me is that," It's the Lords mercies that we are not consumed because His compassions fail not. They are new evey morning,Yes new every morning: Great is thy Faithfulness. Lam 3. Summer p.s. I remember a sister new to the work telling me of an incident with GG in a restaurant, she seemed really dis-turbed by how rude he was to the waitress this was just prior to my leaving I did'nt know what to make of it other then maybe he was having a bad day, just a small incident, but very telling!
Oscar

Email
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2005, 03:09:56 pm »

Verne, I agree with what your saying. What it says to me is that," It's the Lords mercies that we are not consumed because His compassions fail not. They are new evey morning,Yes new every morning: Great is thy Faithfulness. Lam 3. Summer p.s. I remember a sister new to the work telling me of an incident with GG in a restaurant, she seemed really dis-turbed by how rude he was to the waitress this was just prior to my leaving I did'nt know what to make of it other then maybe he was having a bad day, just a small incident, but very telling!

Interesting,

Once I was in a restaurant with the Great One.  It was a seafood place in Fullerton.  We ordered, and when the waitress brough us our food, El Supremo told her that he didn't order what she brought him.  He said he ordered what I was having.

It wasn't true at all, she brought him what he ordered.  I tried to tell him, but he was too busy insisting that she was wrong to listen to me. 

She wisely backed off and brought him another dinner.

Thomas Maddux
vernecarty
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2005, 11:34:18 pm »

Interesting,

Once I was in a restaurant with the Great One.  It was a seafood place in Fullerton.  We ordered, and when the waitress brough us our food, El Supremo told her that he didn't order what she brought him.  He said he ordered what I was having.

It wasn't true at all, she brought him what he ordered.  I tried to tell him, but he was too busy insisting that she was wrong to listen to me. 

Thomas Maddux

George apparently had all his workers convicnced that it was O.K for him to be crass and unmannerly because he was "the Lord's servant". I understand that he even gave himself the sobriquet of "Jacob the worm"
This was abolutely brilliant. He could get away with anything if you bought that notion.
I must say my own experience in this regard was very differnt.
The Lord made it clear to me that the standard for me was higher.
I not only assumed this to be the case, I assumed it to be true for the men I served with.
While we cannot expect our leaders to be perfect, it is critical that they have integrity.
It is clear to me that the folk I have most strongly disagreed with on the matter of George and the assemblies do not know the difference.

How true! His mercy does indeed endure forever. He is also faithful.
If we observe a situation of presistent and undealt-with sin either in our lives, or the lives of others, we should have ample reason to question the presence of God in that situation.

Verne
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 11:48:19 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2005, 04:41:57 am »

......p.s. I remember a sister new to the work telling me of an incident with GG in a restaurant, she seemed really dis-turbed by how rude he was to the waitress this was just prior to my leaving I did'nt know what to make of it other then maybe he was having a bad day, just a small incident, but very telling!

Interesting,

Thomas Maddux

George apparently had all his workers convicnced that it was O.K for him to be crass and unmannerly because he was "the Lord's servant". I understand that he even gave himself the sobriquet of "Jacob the worm"

This was abolutely brilliant. He could get away with anything if you bought that notion.
Got that right.  Wink
While we cannot expect our leaders to be perfect, it is critical that they have integrity.

Verne

Yeah. Integrity.

A friend of mine told of an incident where the most holy GG told a whopper to get a seat by the window in a local restaurant. It seems like a small thing, although we both wondered at it,  but time after time it paints a picture.
night owl

Email
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2005, 01:00:08 pm »

According to my "source", not only did he attend a seminar in San Francisco over Memorial Day Weekend, but he is going camping with about 40 others at Big Sur over the Fourth of July. Knowing him as well as I do, and not being real sure that he has 40 friends to go camping with, is he describing an Assembly seminar disguised as a camping trip? I didn't ask for more details.
night owl

Email
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2005, 01:03:53 pm »

It would be a trip into the twilight zone!  I can imagine trying to exlain everything to my wife. "This is the Hymns and Spiritual Songs" "This is a head covering" "You have to wear it because of the angels!"

So . . . why do the angels care if we wear head coverings or not, prithee?
David Mauldin
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2005, 04:05:09 am »

A great miriad (thousands) of angels looks down upon the gathering of saints and marvels that the women's heads are covered. The book of Corinthian's instructs that women are to cover their hair when they pray. This is-because the "glory" of women is their hair! This "glory" is not good because it is interfeering with the "glory of God!" Therefore the women must cover their glory! This will allow the women to be expressing the "glory of God!" This will allow  God to get the glory! Not the women! So that "In all things He (God) must have the preeminence!" Yet you ask, "Those head coverings are only veils?  They don't cover the hair! only veil it? This is because the 'head covering" is only symbolic. It symbolizes the fact that Christ is the head of the church and that the husband is the head of the wife. In other words nighty I need a symbol that demonstrates my controle over my wife. Yet it is not 'me" in "controle" but Christ!  Therefore "wife" is not my victim but Christ is responsible!  My opinion about this scripture is that it is a primitive riitual that has been carried on into Christianity in our generation. It is only recently not been practiced by the majority of the church. Most evangelicals will dance around these scriptures because they are not acceptable by todays standards! (You just watch/read!) Night Owl?  Where have you been?? You didn't know about head coverings?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 04:20:23 am by David Mauldin » Logged
night owl

Email
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2005, 10:22:16 am »

No. Trust me, I knew. But I had only heard the part about women needing to cover their heads to show submission. I hadn't heard the part about the angels.
outdeep

Email
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2005, 06:31:04 pm »

No. Trust me, I knew. But I had only heard the part about women needing to cover their heads to show submission. I hadn't heard the part about the angels.
1 Corinthians 11:10 - Not really sure what Paul was getting at here.  George saw in this verse an inverted triangle.  All the angel's attention is focused and concentrated on the Assembly meeting when the Saints gather.  The order expressed in women covering their head teaches them something.  It would have to be a "gather as as Assembly" meeting, not a "community outreach" meeting - which explains why sisters didn't wear headcoverings during the Wednesday night Bible study or at campus prayer meetings.

I think that interpretation is assuming much that isn't there.  But most folks who see headcoverings as simply a local issue to Corinth (most Evangelicals) puzzle over this verse if they consider the question at all.
David Mauldin
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2005, 04:43:53 am »

Dave -most evangelicals in this generation. Yet in the past headcoverings were as common as burkas!  Ooops!
outdeep

Email
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2005, 07:07:20 am »

Dave -most evangelicals in this generation. Yet in the past headcoverings were as common as burkas!  Ooops!
True.  I wonder if headcovering going out of favor had anything to do with hats going out of style.
David Mauldin
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2005, 07:33:47 am »

You hit that right!  Have you seen the movie, "A Man Called Peter"? Even the "Chariots of Fire" Church scenes are filled with hats!
night owl

Email
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2005, 03:53:56 am »

I heard somewhere that the culture of Paul's day dictated that if you were a woman and you weren't wearing a head covering in public, that meant you were a prostitute. So women were encouraged to wear head coverings when they gathered to show they weren't harlots. But I've never done a study on it.
outdeep

Email
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2005, 04:58:25 am »

I heard somewhere that the culture of Paul's day dictated that if you were a woman and you weren't wearing a head covering in public, that meant you were a prostitute. So women were encouraged to wear head coverings when they gathered to show they weren't harlots. But I've never done a study on it.
You would probably find that if you went into a Christian bookstore and looked up that passage.   In the non-headcovering Evangelical churches I have been in (if they deal with the passage at all) the teaching is generally explained in terms of a problem in Paul's day:  The temple prostitutes (pagan religions tended to mix spirituality with sex - at least the Da Vinci code got one thing right!) were noted for the lack of proper covering for their head.  Apparently this "style" was branching out and becoming chic.  Paul was attempting to have the church be distinct in this area and make sure that these saved former pagans would not be confused with those still in the old lifestyle. 

You might want to look this up in a commentary by a learned teacher as it is very possible my middle-aged poor memory got some facts mixed up.

Obviously, there are groups like the Plymouth Brethren and others who disagree with this interpretation and see it as a mandate for all churches at all times.  They might argue that the "because of the angels" verse implies a larger scope than simply a local incident.  Unfortunately, it is not very clear to us today exactly what Paul was getting at when he said "because of the angels".
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: