AssemblyBoard
April 25, 2024, 07:09:37 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: San Fransisco Seminar???  (Read 33787 times)
David Mauldin
« on: June 02, 2005, 06:35:59 am »

I recently heard of a San Fransisco Seminar!  I was very surprised, isn't the Assembly just about over???  Or is it remorphing???  A reocurring nightmare of mine has been attending a seminar. "What?"  "Why am I here?"  "Maybe I can slip out the back?" 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 12:30:48 am by David Mauldin » Logged
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 08:05:23 am »

Praise the Lord! Do you have the address?
vernecarty
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 08:47:04 am »

I recently heard of a San Fransisco Seminar!  I was very surprised, isn't the Assembly just about over???  Or is it remorphing???  A reoccuring nightmare of mine has been attending a seminar. "What?"  "Why am I here?"  "Maybe I can slip out the back?" 
Why are you surprised?
All the recent talk about putting the assembly experience behind us nothwithstanding, what makes anyone think that the proud and belligerent spirit that led a man like George Geftakys to such self-exaltation despite shamefully disgracing himself in the company of God's people, would be deterred by his most recent failure?
I must say that I have observed with some amusement the smug and self-righteous commentary about "healing" and "moving on" all of which no doubt have their place.
These folk however clearly demonstrate that they have still failed to grasp the lesson of that era.
They don't really understand the nature of this business.
Go read your Bibles and see what it says is to be the Christian posture toward apostasy.

Does anybody  really think recalling the horror of the apostate Geftakys and what he did is really so much about us and our suffering?!

So they are having seminars...I wonder if there were any new faces... Cry
Verne

p.s. it is the sobering responsibility of all those who enabled this spiritual fiend, to see to it that other potential victims are duly warned; it is why I still post...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 06:35:39 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
M2
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 09:26:02 am »

David,  Are you planning to go for old times sake?  Smiley

Verne, If the main reason you post on this BB is to warn potential victims, how do you think those victims will even find this BB?  Also, will they not benefit more from seeing a bunch of healthy Christians having good interesting discussions and not stuck on 'the way it used to be'.  Most people who come to this board read the old threads, so we don't need to relive and rehash ad nauseum.  It's kind of like driving a truck all week, and your radio is broken and it's stuck on a Christian radio station that only plays those peanut butter mixes (is that the correct term?).  I know it would drive Clarence crazy.  I'd be sick pretty soon and want to abandon the truck, or get my radio fixed.  You can be blunt with me if you disagree.  I promise not to have a conniption.

We are zealous to expose the hypocrisy of the assembly, and yet tolerate the same but under a different guise. Tongue

Marcia
vernecarty
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 05:46:42 pm »

David,  Are you planning to go for old times sake?  Smiley

Verne, If the main reason you post on this BB is to warn potential victims, how do you think those victims will even find this BB?  Also, will they not benefit more from seeing a bunch of healthy Christians having good interesting discussions and not stuck on 'the way it used to be'.  Most people who come to this board read the old threads, so we don't need to relive and rehash ad nauseum.  It's kind of like driving a truck all week, and your radio is broken and it's stuck on a Christian radio station that only plays those peanut butter mixes (is that the correct term?).  I know it would drive Clarence crazy.  I'd be sick pretty soon and want to abandon the truck, or get my radio fixed.  You can be blunt with me if you disagree.  I promise not to have a conniption.

We are zealous to expose the hypocrisy of the assembly, and yet tolerate the same but under a different guise. Tongue

Marcia

I daresay your sentiments are exactly those of folk who knew about George Geftakys' early transgressions. Considering what was known about George, an awful lot of folk "abondoned the truck" as you so colorfully put it.
It is not about you.
It is not about us.
It is about standing for righteousness...until we die...
As long as these folks are meeting, we should not stop talking about them.
You have proved my point Marcia.  Smiley
Verne

p.s. I am unclear about your reference to what hypocrisy we "tolerate under a different guise". Would you please clarify? Who exactly is tolerating what? Do be blunt.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 05:59:34 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
M2
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 07:01:15 pm »

I daresay your sentiments are exactly those of folk who knew about George Geftakys' early transgressions. Considering what was known about George, an awful lot of folk "abondoned the truck" as you so colorfully put it.
It is not about you.
It is not about us.
It is about standing for righteousness...until we die...
As long as these folks are meeting, we should not stop talking about them.
You have proved my point Marcia.  Smiley
Verne

p.s. I am unclear about your reference to what hypocrisy we "tolerate under a different guise". Would you please clarify? Who exactly is tolerating what? Do be blunt.

Verne,

You did not answer my question.  What are you doing to ensure that potential victims find this BB?

And how, pray tell, are my "sentiments exactly those of folk who knew about George Geftakys' early transgressions?"

How are we failing to stand for righteousness by not rehashing and reliving ad nauseum?

You do not agree that old threads tell the story?
You do not agree that the website can be a good museum to remind us and inform the potential victim?

If someone came on board asking some questions etc. then, yes, we should answer them and have a good discussion with them, but for us to keep reliving it gets to sound like a broken record eh??  If someone posts news, like David did, then, yes, we should not pretend and ignore it.

Personally, I am about to abandon ship myself because I am getting sick of peanut butter and the hypocrisy that is tolerated in the name of "Christlikeness".

Marcia
vernecarty
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 07:52:53 pm »

Verne,

You did not answer my question.  What are you doing to ensure that potential victims find this BB?

I post. If someone reads fine. But at least knowing what I know, I am not silent.

And how, pray tell, are my "sentiments exactly those of folk who knew about George Geftakys' early transgressions?"

I imagine George's former associates also grew tired of talking and hearing about the kind of man he was.
Don't you think it remarkable that a man of his vices was able to convince so many that he was an "apostle"?
Those who knew better failed to alert the unwary in my view.

How are we failing to stand for righteousness by not rehashing and reliving ad nauseum?

One person's "rehashing and reliving" is another person's "putting in remembrance".
Clearly there are other topics on the BB.
You seem to be of the opinon that any mention of George and the assemblies is somehow taboo.

You do not agree that old threads tell the story?
...and..?

You do not agree that the website can be a good museum to remind us and inform the potential victim?
Clearly

If someone came on board asking some questions etc. then, yes, we should answer them and have a good discussion with them, but for us to keep reliving it gets to sound like a broken record eh??  If someone posts news, like David did, then, yes, we should not pretend and ignore it.

Unless I am mistaken, that is exactly what took place. My comments were made in response to Dave's post.
Your petulance is therfore all the more puzzling my friend.

Personally, I am about to abandon ship myself because I am getting sick of peanut butter and the hypocrisy that is tolerated in the name of "Christlikeness".

Marcia

Take your lifeboat!  Smiley
Whatever it is that got stuck in your craw Marcia, I sincerely hope you are able to expel it. Let's not ever start taking ourselves too seriously shall we?
Verne
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 07:55:10 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
David Mauldin
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 09:17:19 pm »

It would be a trip into the twilight zone!  I can imagine trying to exlain everything to my wife. "This is the Hymns and Spiritual Songs" "This is a head covering" "You have to wear it because of the angels!" It might be nice to converse with a few people (Some people might honestly listen to what I had to say as a valid viewpoint on reality. Others would just wait patiently for their opportunity to preach.)  but I don't think I could sit longer than 10 minutes of "teachings" about the "Testimony to Jesus!" If people want to live in "community" for the rest of their lives I think it is understandable. There are many legitimately good things about "community" that most people will never know about or experience. (My church has what they call "Circle Dinners". Groups of 8-12 people get together in someones home for a nice meal that everyone has prepared. I am always tempted to blurt out... "All things are ready come...")
I was curious if this seminar was run by George or not?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 12:31:26 am by David Mauldin » Logged
summer007

Email
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 09:38:15 pm »

David, You have just reached the Outer Limits !  Verne and Marcia good points both.  Marcia has recently left and Verne you've been gone for a while so your perspective is different. Can you imagine being fullly ingrossed in the system when it crashed ? Completly different views and is probibly healthier for M to not be so consummed with past Assm. V can be more objective having had the advantage of Time!  Summer.
summer007

Email
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 09:45:39 pm »

p.s. David I did'nt see all of your post. Your wife would probibly think you were Insane!
vernecarty
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 10:54:08 pm »

I't would be a trip into the twilight zone!  I can imagine trying to exlain everything to my wife. "This is the Hymns and Spiritual Songs" "This is a head covering" "You have to wear it because of the angels!" It might be nice to converse with a few people (Some people might honestly listen to what I had to say as a valid viewpoint on reality. Others would just wait patiently for their opportunity to preach.)  but I don't think I could sit longer than 10 minutes of "teachings" about the "Testimony to Jesus!" If people want to live in "community" for the rest of their lives I think it is understandable. There are many legitimately good things about "community" that most people will never know about or experience. (My church has what they call "Circle Dinners". Groups of 8-12 people get together in someones home for a nice meal that everyone has prepared. I am always tempted to blurt out... "All things are ready come...")
I was curious if this seminar was run by George or not?

I am definitely not the "community type", although there are some good things to be learned for a season.
We should never forget that what made the assemblies bad was not necessarily format, but that Geftakys was a predatory traitor...
Verne
summer007

Email
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 11:07:07 pm »

Verne, Yes no-one should forget II Peter 2 and what it says about the damnable heresys and the swift destruction on the teachers and their follower's. So contrary to Sondra's opinion that these are the Lords people I don't agree, some are Christians decieved and mis-led, but it's obvious now the majority that are left if they buy into the seventh day creation will probibly have all of eternity in Hell to figure out where they went wrong, whiles they are looking for the exit, when their is no exit in Hell! I would suggest to "Night-Owl" to have a serious talk with her Family member I think Time is of the Essence now! "The Night is far spent the Day is at hand" Look at DM who was in for 15 years he repeats over and over he's not a Christian he does'nt believe, he was just going through the motions following the rules! So theirs an example of one of the participants.  Summer.
M2
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 11:18:27 pm »

Hilarious David.  Grin I see that you don't like re-runs eh??
I assume, and again I say assume, that George will be there.  I believe that SF, Sac, Riverside, and Pasadena(I think) still welcome George and Betty in the name of fogive and forget.  George is not welcome in the other gatherings, but ...

Verne,

With all the talk of abandonning ship and all, that response of yours almost put me over the edge.  Grin

In your original response to David, I disagree with the way you connected "moving on" with meaning that we were saying to not talk about it any more.  Moving on does not imply that.  It just means that at every turn we are not preoccupied with it.  But when the opportunity arises, then, yes, speak of it just as you did in the rest of your original response.  I'm starting to sound like a broken record myself.

I'm glad my car radio is working.  I switch back and forth between a Christian radio station and an Oldies one.  If I do not like the peanut butter mix, I switch to Oldies.  If I don't like the lyrics I switch back to CHRI. and so it goes.  Listened to "In the jungle" today in the car when I took my daughter and myself for our dentist appts.  Great music.

Marcia
summer007

Email
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2005, 11:43:01 pm »

Speaking of Songs I heard this old Suzanne Vega song during a wonderful drive down PCH yesterday "Your only hit 'til you cry after that you don't ask why, you just don't argue anymore you just don't argue anymore. If you hear something late at night some kind of trouble some kind of fright just don't ask me what it was, just don't ask me what it was. My name is Luca I live on the second floor I live upstairs from you, yes I think you've seen me before, I walked into the door again, nothings broken, nothings torn, just don't ask me what it was, just don't aske me what it was. "Luca" my sympathys to all the kids who have to endure seminars and much more!  Summer.
vernecarty
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2005, 12:11:41 am »

Hilarious David.  Grin I see that you don't like re-runs eh??
I assume, and again I say assume, that George will be there.  I believe that SF, Sac, Riverside, and Pasadena(I think) still welcome George and Betty in the name of fogive and forget.  George is not welcome in the other gatherings, but ...

Verne,

With all the talk of abandonning ship and all, that response of yours almost put me over the edge.  Grin

In your original response to David, I disagree with the way you connected "moving on" with meaning that we were saying to not talk about it any more.  Moving on does not imply that.  It just means that at every turn we are not preoccupied with it.  But when the opportunity arises, then, yes, speak of it just as you did in the rest of your original response.  I'm starting to sound like a broken record myself.

I'm glad my car radio is working.  I switch back and forth between a Christian radio station and an Oldies one.  If I do not like the peanut butter mix, I switch to Oldies.  If I don't like the lyrics I switch back to CHRI. and so it goes.  Listened to "In the jungle" today in the car when I took my daughter and myself for our dentist appts.  Great music.

Marcia
I watched Hotel Rwanda last night. Chilling! But good!  Smiley
Verne
p.s. Around that time there was a Hutu chemistry post doc at U of I who was married to a Tutsie...lovely people...
p.p.s Hey Marcia...can you swimGrin
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 12:14:08 am by VerneCarty » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: