AssemblyBoard
April 20, 2024, 01:07:49 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: QUESTION OF THE DAY/OPINIONS WELCOME  (Read 107565 times)
lenore
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2004, 08:18:28 am »

:)JUNE 2 11:25 PM,

HAVE YOU EVER NOTICE THAT THERE ARE NON BELIEVERS, THAT HAVE A BETTER ATTITUDE IN GENEROSITY, THAN  SO CALLED BELIEVERS IN CHRIST.

THE QUESTION FOR DISCUSSION TODAY IS:

WHY DO YOU THINK THIS IS?
delila

Email
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2004, 10:26:36 am »

if jesus was knocking on my door he'd have to wait behind the jehovah witnesses
d
delila

Email
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2004, 10:32:21 am »

Why non-be-lie-vers have an easier time:
1.  They don't have to keep up a front.
2.  They don't care if God is disappointed in what they wear or who they are.
3.  They don't have to have a chapter and verse ready to meet every need of all those unsaved people all around them
4.  They aren't busy scraping their sores with broken pottery.
5.  They are not meditating on a bleeding corpse and contemplating their own crucifiction since everyone who comes after him must deny himself and take up his cross and follow him

There lenore, that should give you something to start with.  Sorry I can't keep up with all your emails.  You move too fast for me, girl.  Say hi to the valley
d
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2004, 12:28:43 pm »

HAVE YOU EVER NOTICE THAT THERE ARE NON BELIEVERS, THAT HAVE A BETTER ATTITUDE IN GENEROSITY, THAN  SO CALLED BELIEVERS IN CHRIST.

THE QUESTION FOR DISCUSSION TODAY IS:

WHY DO YOU THINK THIS IS?

Objection, Your Honor-- Goes to motive.  (Sorry, just some TV legalese I picked up.)  But, really, is it important that we analize the motives of others?  The only real question for each of us regarding generosity is whether we are pleasing Christ by what we are doing and giving.  To know that, we must both ask Him and receive His answer through His Word.  As to what others do and why, ...what is that to thee?  Follow thou me.Jn.21:22

al

al Hartman

Email
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2004, 01:54:52 pm »

Why non-be-lie-vers have an easier time:
1.  They don't have to keep up a front.

Actually, the Christian is the only one who really doesn't have to feel that maintaining a facade before the world is necessary.  Among the unredeemed, all you normally see is "front."  Consider this "funny" quote of the day:  "It is necessary for me to establish a winner image. Therefore, I have to beat somebody." --Richard M. Nixon  

Unfortunately, many of the redeemed have not yet learned the freedom of being able to drop their guard compliments of our Good Shepherd, Who guards us against all that we would fear enough to project a front toward.  
     Don't be fooled:  Our assembly history was not the life of "free indeed," but there IS such a life that has been bought & paid for by the blood of Christ.  
     Don't let your past rob you of your future!

2.  They don't care if God is disappointed in what they wear or who they are.

This is part of their "front."  Most folks are too afraid to even consider God, because of the responsibility & obligation that accompanies such an admission.  So they deny His existence, or re-make Him into a benign figure whom they don't have to fear.

3.  They don't have to have a chapter and verse ready to meet every need of all those unsaved people all around them

...and neither do we--  we only thought we did.

assembly equals Christianity

JESUS CHRIST = CHRISTIANITY

4.  They aren't busy scraping their sores with broken pottery.

(See reply to #3, above)  For I will restore health unto thee, and I will heal thee of thy wounds, saith the Lord Jer.30:17  Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed. 1Pet.2:24

5.  They are not meditating on a bleeding corpse and contemplating their own crucifiction since everyone who comes after him must deny himself and take up his cross and follow him

Neither am I.  Perhaps we were once, and maybe you still are, but if so it's time to stop seeking Him among the dead-- He is not there.  He is risen, and we with Him!  Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord.  According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue 2Pet.1:2-3  For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls. 1Pet.2:25

I have run the risk of your thinking that my post bears out your point#3, above.  But you see, I don't have to share Bible passages:  They are life to me, and it is my privilege to share them.  I don't have to throw them at people (although I clearly remember once thinking/feeling that I did).

Thanks to Jesus Christ, it isn't all about me any more.  Now it's all about Him.  It always was all about Him, but I didn't always know it.  If you can't relate to what I'm saying here, but have even the slightest inkling there may be some truth to it, ASK HIM.  He won't withhold anything good from you if you seek HIM.

al

delila

Email
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2004, 01:49:01 pm »

Al,
I have come to a conclusion about you: no matter what question one asks, you will always have the same answer.  Does that mean that the needle of your record player is stuck, that you play the same tape all the time in your blaster, that you do not think for yourself?  Just a thought.
d
lenore
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2004, 08:31:12 am »

JUNE 4:11:33 PM EST:

HEBREW 11:32 THE MESSAGE:

I could go on and one. but I've run out of time. There are so many more -
Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David, Samuel,
the prophets.

Lets review the history of these men.
Gideon tested God in is fleece testing, and we wont mention his family.
Barak - wouldnt go to war unless Debra accompanied him.
Jephthah - gave an oath to God, thus he had to sacrifice his daughter in a way to  honour that oath,
David - between the census, and Bethsheba.
Samuel - his sons were not trustworthy.
Samson - did everything wrong until the end.

There was a quality that God saw in each of these men, to be place in the hall of faith.

THE QUESTION OF THE DAY FOR DISCUSSION IS:
'WHY DO YOU THINK GOD HONOURED THESE MEN'
even with all their failures.
AND HOW CAN WE GLEAN FROM THE EXAMPLES of the lives of these men, to help our faith journey along.

READY, SET, GO .......DISCUSSION TIME STARTS LINE .......BANG.

al Hartman

Email
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2004, 10:39:50 am »

Al,
I have come to a conclusion about you: no matter what question one asks, you will always have the same answer.  Does that mean that the needle of your record player is stuck, that you play the same tape all the time in your blaster, that you do not think for yourself?  Just a thought.
d

Aw, d, I really hope that is only an opinion & not really a conclusion.  A conclusion would mean that you have stopped thinking, & I'd hate to see that happen! Undecided

I think before I answer every time, and I pray too.  The thing is, Christ is the answer-- only the questions keep changing.  What is it about Him that you object to?  I understand your objecting to "religiosity," legalism, performance by rote or rule, etc., but I don't offer those things as answers...  The fact that you're encountering some difficulty in connecting with Him doesn't reflect badly on His end-- He has come all the way down from heaven to meet with you, accepted you as you are, lived for you and died for you.  What more could you ask?

Every once in awhile we get news that there has been a broken water main or a sewer backup that has contaminated the municipal water supply.  People don't stop drinking water.  They only stop drinking that water!  Other water is still good.
     Somebody polluted our church.  That doesn't make God a criminal.  We abandon the contamination, not the element that bore it.  Not all Christians are evil.  Not all believers are wrong.  And none of us has suffered as Christ suffered for us!

Find fault with me if you will-- that isn't hard to do.  But if you have a complaint about my answer, which is our Lord Jesus Christ, I am constrained to ask you to specifically name it:  Of what do you accuse Him?

BTW, I don't have a blaster.  I use a Bible instead, and no matter which of its "stations" I tune in to, the music may vary, but the theme is the same:  Jesus Christ.

God bless,
al

summer007

Email
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2004, 09:35:09 pm »

Delila,  I appreciate your Honesty on the subject matter of june 3rd's post. It reminded me of Ps.73 Where David saw the prosperity of the Wicked and he was envious of them. But God had a hold on him and showd them their end . Rememeber the Rich Man and Lazerous I had a friend that said you mean they can see us across the great divide...I also knew an Atheist who would say to me regarding Faith "oh if it makes you feel better in your Heart thats good for you" and he meant it. It boggeled the mind that he did'nt believe anything ...But the Word says not all men have the Faith...And sometimes I can take it for Granted that I can go to God with my requests and recieve His Comfort and Assurance...The World cannot... Yet in the Gospels it says they are Wiser in the ways of Money and things thats all they have. The calling of God is on some of us whether we like it or not...Many called few are Chosen and it can feel like a burden at times. Especially if you have a Prodigal nature.  I think your thoughts on this subject are good ones. Sounds like Love that wont let you Go...Although you've tried to get away...as Jeremiah said His word is shut up in my bones..For the Lord is with me as a dread Champion...I think in Eternity you may appreciate the Great Gift He's Given ...If you Suffer you will Reign....And BYW Al's posts are very encouraging to me I think he's Diplomatic...I think you see him as giving the pat rehearsed Christian responce...I dont ...I like his Style!!!! Summer...
Helms

Email
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2004, 10:59:52 pm »

Why did God honor these men? Because they are very different beginnings and ends. Each man have something everyone can identify with. But they all got one thing right. They pretty much ended life with their faith and acts pointing to God. That's what being a Christian is all about. Not that we don't fall, or are perfect. The truth is we are nothing but dust. It's only God who makes the best of our lives.
lenore
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2004, 08:27:53 am »

Cheesy

JUNE 9TH...11:30 PM.

HELLO GANG: IF MY MARRIAGE WOULD STILL BE ALIVE:
I WOULD OF BEEN 25 YEARS MARRIED TODAY.

I AM READING THE PURPOSE DRIVEN LIFE:

CHAPTER THREE HAD A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS:
I WILL BE INTERESTED IN SEEING YOUR REACTIONS:

From the Bible , God will asked us?

1. What did you do with my son Jesus Christ?
 - did you accept what Jesus did for you and did you learn to love and trust him.

2. What did you do with what I gave you?
-what did you do with your life, and the resources God gave you. Did you spend them on yourself, or did you use them for the purposes God made you for?

Pondering Question at the end of the Chapter?
What would my family and friends say is the driving force of my life? What do I want it to be?

This book is easy read, but heavy duty questions to answer!!!!
A lot of soul/spiritual/heart seeking!!!

So who will like to take a gander at voice their thoughts
on this questions?
Your at the starting line! Get Ready!Get Set! and the starting pistol has fire! GO!!!

I am going to be really interest on some of your interaction, reactions, responses, and discussions, It will be a group BB bible christian peer bible study.....

I think it is great to share ideas with each other!What do you think??

Lenore
lenore
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2004, 11:24:15 pm »

JUNE 13: HAPPY LORD'S DAY BB GANG.

Today Sunday Message by Pastor B.

was taken from John 7: verses 37-38

On the last day of the great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, say>
"If anyone thirsty let him come to Me and drink.
He who believes in me , as the Scripture has said:, "out of his heart will flow rivers of living water".
But this he spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive, for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

One statement Pastor B. spoke of:

We are in a Gatoraide Culture, with a Sahara Desert Spirit.

meaning, even the churchs are looking for the quick quenching of the thirst, while spirit is dry and parched.

He also said a river is feed by many streams, without streams, river dries up.
We do this by not praying, not fellowshipping with believer, and not reflecting God's word in our spirit.
These are the streams that allow the Spirit to quench our spirit with rivers of living water.

QUESTION OF THE DAY:
------------------------------
-------------------------------

HOW THIRSTY  ARE YOU FOR STREAMS OF LIVING WATER TO FLOW INTO THE RIVER OF SPIRIT, TO QUENCH THE DRYNESS IN OUR WALK WITH JESUS:Huh

It was a good message, Pastor B. challenged this as well.?

HOW MUCH ARE YOU WILLING TO WORK FOR  TO GET THE QUENCHING OF THE LIVING WATERS OF THE SPIRIT.

because  it does take work to keep those streams running into the river.

SO I AM THROWING THESE QUESTIONS OUT TO YOU.

LENORE

Mark C.

Email
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2004, 12:51:33 am »

[quote author=LENORE link=board=12;threadid=706;start=0#msg18679 date=1087151055
On the last day of the great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, say>
"If anyone thirsty let him come to Me and drink.
He who believes in me , as the Scripture has said:, "out of his heart will flow rivers of living water".
But this he spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive, for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

QUESTION OF THE DAY:
------------------------------
-------------------------------

HOW THIRSTY  ARE YOU FOR STREAMS OF LIVING WATER TO FLOW INTO THE RIVER OF SPIRIT, TO QUENCH THE DRYNESS IN OUR WALK WITH JESUS:Huh

HOW MUCH ARE YOU WILLING TO WORK FOR  TO GET THE QUENCHING OF THE LIVING WATERS OF THE SPIRIT.

because  it does take work to keep those streams running into the river.

SO I AM THROWING THESE QUESTIONS OUT TO YOU.

LENORE

Hi Lenore!

Thanks for tossing the questions our way and here comes my response.

The verse quoted above about thirst is something that I misunderstood for years.  Maybe I still don't have it right, but I see it much differently now.

In the past I connected my inner thirst as an emotional desire that had to feel the presence of the Spirit in my life.  I would be the last one to suggest that feelings aren't important in our Christian life, but I don't think that's what our Lord was talking about here.

The passage does talk about "our inner most being" as the place that needs the satisfaction, but an immediate feeling of contentment only deals with my emotions in a very surface way.  In my Eastern Religion days I could gain via meditation a feeling of contentment, but that could abrupty change based on what was going on around me.

God has put an eternal depth in our souls and when He talks about "inner most being" I don't think that it is an area that we can feel, but that he sees and knows how to fill.  I also think that this void is filled, again even though we don't feel it, when Christ comes to live in our hearts' through new birth.  As Christians I think it is a mistake to try and gain a feeling of complete satisfaction via an experience; that does not mean that we can't have wonderful emotional experiences with God, but that is not what we should base our life with God on.

As to finding the streams via "working" on different spiritual disciplines, such as Bible reading, prayer, and fellowship: I think that these things may work better for some folks than others.  In other words, I don't think there is any formula for "spiritual success" as such.  There is also a danger of seeing one's Christian life of, "if I can successfully do these spiritual things God will make me feel happy", which is contra the gift based relationship that we have with our Heavenly Father.

My take on these verses now is that God has completely satisfied my deepest needs, which the verse seems to imply is eternal life.  Whatever my mood, or circumstances, I can believe this fact of my eternal security and as a result find some peace.  I can never in this life experience the depth of what it means that I am saved, but there will be a time when faith will give way to sight and a perfect union of spiritual fact and emotional experience we will enjoy! Smiley

God Bless,  Mark C.

Mark C.

Email
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2004, 01:36:44 am »

Hi Lenore!

I had a big answer to "the question of the day," which I tried to include with your quote and for some reason it failed to post.     Here goes again Sad!

I used to see this verse that you quoted as a need for me to kind of stretch out in my emotions to God and experience a feeling of deep satisfaction.  If I could just concentrate enough, and devote my whole inner being to God He would reach out to me with an experience of His presence.

The verse says that these rivers are to satisfy our "innermost beings."  I think that these regions within us are beyond our surface emotional state.  Now I would be the last person to say that emotions are not important, but I don't think this is what Jesus is talking about satisfying in these verses.

My take on these verses now is that in our new birth God completely satisfys all our need: spiritual, emotional, physical.  Jesus states in these verses that the water forms an eternal fount in us.  I believe that this is eternal life; and no matter how we feel God has completely secured us in Jesus work of salvation!

In our present Christian life we will only experience a very small amount of what that salvation means in our emotional life.  In our bodies we won't experience any of it, as we wait the redemption of our bodies at the ressurection (with the exception of miracles of healing,etc.)

The "innermost being" is beyond our feeling, but faith in the fact of eternal security will bring a measure of peace to our surface feelings.

As to methods of accessing "streams" via Bible reading, prayer, etc.: these are of course avenues to realization of the what God has already done in my salvation, but there is a danger here of seeing them as a means to actualize God's presence and the feelings that we hope will come with that.  

Our relationship with God is a gift based relationship and nothing that I, or anyone else can do, will separate me from the presence of God in my life!  My moods will go up and down, but Jesus does not deal out emotional uplift via the Spirit by my trying to dig channels in my heart, or developing some other methodology for "gaining" God's blessing in my emotional life.  In other words, feeling good does not mean that God is near and blessing me; neither is feeling bad an indication that God has abandoned me, and I need to start to seek God in a more devoted way.

The fact that we're saved will not solve all our emotional or relational problems, and it is in this area that we may have to work.  God sometimes seems very absent from these areas of our life and it would be nice if He just automatically came to us with a touch and caused all these problems to go away, but it is for our benefit that He does not.  We must be honest, patient, and if we have consistent problems with our emotional life we might need to find some help.  Ignoring these problems and hoping for God to "break into my life" via some kind of experience is a kind of escapism. (believe me I understand this, because this has been a major mistake in my life, and is still a tendency that I have.)

Though this verse is not talking about experiencing emotional relief, there are verses that do, and these have to do with the kinds of things we are doing on this BB in lending an ear, and trying to lift those who are feeling down.  This is a real gift that God has given His church and though not even rising to a stream of water, it can be a cold cup of same for the thirsty.

God Bless,  Mark C.

lenore
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2004, 07:55:01 am »

:)THANK YOU MARK C.
For your very insightfulness .

PASTOR B. Also said that we must have passion for those STREAMS OF LIVING WATER.

QUESTION ON THIS LINE:

How do we acquire that passion for the STREAMS OF LIVING WATERS.??

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: