AssemblyBoard
April 19, 2024, 09:39:31 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Assemblyspeak or GODSPEAK???  (Read 9528 times)
al Hartman

Email
« on: March 12, 2004, 12:10:13 pm »

Assemblyspeak or GODSPEAK:

This topic keeps popping up on other threads, so let's try giving it a forum of its own.
     Assemblyspeak is a debilitating disease that needs to be defined and an antidote administered.  What exactly is assemblyspeak-- how can it be identified and cured?  Its symptoms consist of a pavlovian response to words and phrases which have been ceaselessly applied in an abusive manner.  That is to say, when one has suffered repeated applications of abusive language, one may have only to hear the familiar phraseology, in any context whatever, to feel abused anew. Cry

The purpose of this thread, then, will be to:
[1] Identify such words and phrases as are causing pain,
[2] Determine if such words/phrases have legitimacy outside their abusive context,
[3] Establish the Truth about them, exposing the lie,
[4] Encourage, set free, and strengthen those who suffer because of this evil,
[5] Pray for all who are thus troubled and encumbered.

We all say the wrong thing (or the right thing in the wrong way) at some time.  It is a natural human failing.  When repetition of hearing has pounded terminology into our subconscious, it is bound to show up in our conversation.  Even we who loathe assemblyspeak will probably employ it unintentionally and unknowingly.  Let us be patient with ourselves and with one another-- quick to forgive, as we are forgiven.
     People who frequent this BB have explained their pain in reading the Bible, owing to the repeated and unrelenting misuse of scripture by those who maltreated them and their loved ones.  Yet these very ones continue to post living evidence that the True Word of God dwells in them and is manifest in and through them-- their posts bless many.  God's Word will not return to Him void, but will accomplish all that He intends of it.
     I have at home a large family bible, bound in solid covers of olivewood from Jerusalem.  The book is heavy and it is hard.  If I were to beat you with it, you could and likely would suffer great physical damage.  This would not make the Bible a bad book!  Should you call the police, the bible would be held as evidence, but the one who weilded it wrongly is the criminal!

An example I recently posted on another thread is, "Are you rejoicing?"  Possibly some thug mugged you with that phrase several times a week for years, until your only defense seemed to be to wear a forced smile and repeat certain unassailable replies even when they were untrue.  Such abuse in no way negates the truth in Christ Jesus that we have incalculably much about which to rejoice-- so much so, that the Bible even instructs us to do so.

How about "a daily walk with the Lord," or "the heavenly vision?"  
     A "daily walk with the Lord" may or may not occur in the phrasings of one or another translation, but the concept is legitimate; as a blood-bought privilege, and not as a requirement for our continued salvation as was erroniously taught in the assemblies.
     "The heavenly vision" occurs in the book of Acts, not as a commandment of bondage to an umpteen-step program as presented to us, but as a genuine vision of the Lord Jesus Christ appearing to Saul of Tarsus, who became Paul the apostle.
     There is terrible judgment awaiting those who called light darkness and darkness light in deceiving us if they fail to confess their sins and repent.  But we who suffered the deception are not guilty of the deception, and the work of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit entitles us to be free of both deception and guilt.

So here is what I propose:  
Let this thread be for the posting of words and phrases that trouble us.  
And for prayer requests regarding such problems as they may be causing.
And for testimonies of overcoming these obstacles.
And for ministry on the topic.
     Let's persist in this pursuit until we are all free to truly rejoice in the Lord...

al

M2
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 06:52:18 pm »

Assemblyspeak and it's pavlovian response is one factor.  The other factor is that when someone points out my usage of assemblyspeak, I feel that I need to consider whether or not I myself am using it in the assembly's abusive slant.  Though my intent may not be to do so, my thinking on spiritual matters has been so influenced by the years of 'sitting under the ministry'.

I am reminded of the movie Princess Bride.  The old woman says, "Humperdinck" and her husband tells her not to say his name in her presence, upon which she walks around the room repeatedly saying, "Humperdinck" while her husband follows her, hands over his ears, telling her to stop it.  It was quite funny actually, in the context of the movie.

Lord bless,
Marcia
BeckyW

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 09:45:34 pm »

Assemblyspeak and it's pavlovian response is one factor.  The other factor is that when someone points out my usage of assemblyspeak, I feel that I need to consider whether or not I myself am using it in the assembly's abusive slant.  Though my intent may not be to do so, my thinking on spiritual matters has been so influenced by the years of 'sitting under the ministry'.

I am reminded of the movie Princess Bride.  The old woman says, "Humperdinck" and her husband tells her not to say his name in her presence, upon which she walks around the room repeatedly saying, "Humperdinck" while her husband follows her, hands over his ears, telling her to stop it.  It was quite funny actually, in the context of the movie.

Lord bless,
Marcia

Marcia,
I quoted your whole post just because I like The Princess Bride so much.  But I agree with you about assembly speak.
I personally do not ever plan to ask anyone,  "Are you rejoicing?".  
Because, if someone is, I'll probably be able to tell.  And if they're not,  better questions might be, How are you?  What's going on?  Can we sit down and talk for a minute?  To me this sort of phrase still feels like a form of hit and run rather than communication.
I am rejoicing, though, if anyone is interested.  Beccause God is good.  All the time.
Becky Smiley

Oscar

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 10:17:47 pm »

Al,

Are you standing with your brethren?

Tom

Wink
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2004, 02:49:03 am »

Al,

Are you standing with your brethren?

Tom

Wink

Tom,

So far as conscience allows I stand with my brethren, but if a choice must be made, by the grace of God I will stand with my Lord and for my brethren.  And it feels wonderful to be able to say that!  Cheesy

Becky,

You'll get no argument from me.  I posted the phrase to make and illustrate a point.  There are also many who read this board who do not post, so we have no way of knowing whether or not they are free to rejoice.  Concerning those who I encounter in person or online, I have no intention of "hitting," but it could happen.  If it does, I promise by the grace of God I will not "run."  Wink

al

matthew r. sciaini

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2004, 07:39:32 am »

All:

Praise the Lord!  I said Praise the Lord brethren!  Don't let the pentecostals steal our joy.  Don't leave your change on the counter; God wants to bless you.  Amen?  Amen!  

What's the matter with you people?  We're not a bunch of staid Presbyterians around here, but lively Christians!  If you're rejoicing let your face know it!  

You're not in fellowship unless you come Sunday mornings, afternoons, Wednesday night Bible study, and Thursday night Prayer meeting!  

You know why you don't understand my message?  Because you're carnal!   You need to repent!  You don't have to understand what I am saying;  just believe, and God will give you understanding.  Enter in to what God has for you.

Don't be a bunch of dead fundamentalists.  Don't just stand on Bible knowledge.  Wouldn't it be awful (awful wonderful) if God blessed you?

Some of the above phrases made me want to commit physical violence, especially during the seminars.  I know it wasn't the words themselves, but that haughty and pompous and evil spirit behind them.

Matt  
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2004, 09:05:20 am »

Matt,

If Mel Gibson ever makes a movie about the decline & fall of the Geftakys empire, I'm recommending you to write the scripts for the seminar scenes!!!  
Grin Grin Grin

al Wink

al Hartman

Email
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2004, 08:24:07 am »

In a recent post on "Wounded Pilgrims," Mark C. said:

Even sadder are those who thought they had failed God and that Assembly abuse was "the way of the cross".  

"The way of the cross" is one of those assemblyisms that may leave a cold feeling in the pit of your stomach because of things you have suffered under its banner.  How many events impacted us negatively, and if we staggered beneath their weight we were "encouraged" by the admonition that we were learning the way of the cross?
     My point in this post is not to discuss whether there is a genuine "way of the cross" or what such a way might consist of, but to remind us of perspective.  We who are out from under the heel (and the heels) of the assembly are free to throw off the yoke of bondage to those subjective feelings provoked by assembly language.
     Remember that song we used to sing?  "It is sweet to know, as I onward go, The way of the cross leads home."  Sure, that hymn was used to sell us the assembly line...  But guess what?  Those lyrics were written and were being sung with joy and hope many years before the first Geftakys appeared on the scene!  Just because a heretic sang "There's no other way but this," doesn't make it heresy.
     If a man had come to us preaching the blood sacrifices of animals and lewd behavior, we would never have followed him.  The heretic comes bearing the truth, then subtlely twisting it, perverting its meaning in infinitesimal ways at first.  The farther away we are drawn, the less subtle the perversions need be.  We were tricked into associating passages of scripture, faithful sayings worthy of all acceptance, and great hymns of the faith with the treacherous, poisonous doctrines that deceived us and held us captive.  But now we are free, and we are entitled to free also our minds from all such deception and perversion.
     Let us not allow mention of such phrases as the way of the cross, the heavenly ladder, and stages on the journey disuade us from the truth.  We understandably may never want to use these terms ourselves, but the words and phrases once misused by the deceiver have no right to bruise our souls.  Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed. (Heb.12:12)
     We cannot walk on the water until we stand up and get out of the boat...

jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2004, 08:51:53 am »

To throw my 2 cents in....

By far, above all others, the comment I was completely and utterly loathe to hear...."Pray about it"

Man, I can not possibly relate how many times this offhanded remark annoyed me  Roll Eyes  There I was, a youngin’ of small stature inquiring advice from people I respected enough to ask about issues sooo important in my life....and all they would tell me was to go "pray about it".

Now, I do understand the implications of needing to be at peace with God in light of your choices, but this always seemed to be a generic blow off statement that never did me a bit of good.

Nowadays, I ask my buddies about any given issue, and they will give me a straightforward answer.  None of this "lets all perform under the pretense of holiness in order to completely circumvent reality and maintain an impossible standard that exists solely to magnify the failure found in others.

Hehe, if you cant tell, this is quite the pet peeve of mine  Tongue

--
lucas
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2004, 10:07:28 am »

To throw my 2 cents in....

By far, above all others, the comment I was completely and utterly loathe to hear...."Pray about it"

Man, I can not possibly relate how many times this offhanded remark annoyed me  Roll Eyes  There I was, a youngin’ of small stature inquiring advice from people I respected enough to ask about issues sooo important in my life....and all they would tell me was to go "pray about it".

Now, I do understand the implications of needing to be at peace with God in light of your choices, but this always seemed to be a generic blow off statement that never did me a bit of good.

Nowadays, I ask my buddies about any given issue, and they will give me a straightforward answer.  None of this "lets all perform under the pretense of holiness in order to completely circumvent reality and maintain an impossible standard that exists solely to magnify the failure found in others.

Hehe, if you cant tell, this is quite the pet peeve of mine  Tongue

--
lucas

Lucas,

I'm right with you on this.  Here's an applicable quote from another thread:

Some of the stewardships were downright silly.  I spent about a year, dusting everything in the garage.  The head steward kept trying to give me consequences.  The white-glove test wouldn't pass unless he did it immediately after I had dusted things.

And yes, floors were cleaned, bathrooms tidied up, all after being used by other people.

The wierd thing is that doing stuff like this, out of a generous heart, to serve others is a good thing.  The assembly training-home mindset was to force the appearance of these behaviors, supposedly thinking that they would become reality.

Generally, all I got out of it was resentment.

What binds David's and Lucas' quotes together is the phenomenon that in the assembly, all of us followed a form of godliness, without the power thereof.  You see, the power of godliness is (brace yourself):

GOD!!!

We had a form, a pattern, but we were so constantly overwhelmed with the demands of maintaining that form, of keeping up the appearance that we were performing in a godly manner, that we had lost the concept of actually involving ourselves with God in the process.
     Our judges, those who ranked above us in the assembly structure, demanded so much of us so constantly that none of us had the time or energy to concern ourselves with the "why" of it all.  All of us were supposed to be teaching our spouses, our children, our understudies, the spiritual motivations for the forms we carried out...  But we were all under so much stress from those above us to maintain the illusion of spiritual perfection that we failed to realize that our spirituality wasn't supposed to be an illusion!

We were supposed to be teaching (and to be being taught) what "pray about it" means.  Why we pray; why we can pray; what to expect when we pray.  In varying degrees, we were to have been examples of prayer --of GOD-- in action.
     Likewise, in our stewardships, we were to serve the Lord through our service to one another with gladness.  I delight to do thy will, O GOD.  But the rigorous pace demanded by our taskmasters (reflecting the pace demanded of them by their masters) took all the joy out of it, so that no one even remembered, much less explained, why we did the things we did.  The measures we should have been taking in joyful gratitude to our Redeemer became drudgery, and were actually meted out as punishments!!!
     If you want your children to learn to enjoy writing, don't assign writing as punishment...  If you want your athletes to appreciate running, don't assign laps around the track as punishment.  If you want to teach anyone the joy of serving, you must first embrace that joy yourself, then share it with them, and never use service to punish.

If not the major difference, at least a major difference between assemblyspeak and the truth is that the truth shall make you free, while assemblyspeak will enslave you and cause you to hate the very things you do because the sense of being able to do something will be hidden under the weight of feeling you must do it.

Now Lucas, buddy, that's as straightforward as I know how to be...
so pray about it! Wink

al

Recovering Saint

Email
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2004, 02:14:38 am »

Go to the link on Kingdom of Cults and read the title
The Riddle of Semantics on this page.

http://www.waltermartin.org/cults.html#semant

Partial quote from that title on the site.

It is simple for a cultist to spiritualize and redefine the clear meaning of biblical texts and teachings so as to be in apparent harmony with the historic Christian faith.

This points out just how people in cults use common everyday terms and twists their meaning to be something totally different.

Oh and why do we oppose such a wonderful Assembly system you ask? Resistance is futile with a passive attitude like that you too will be assimilated into the collective.

Hugh
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 02:20:01 am by Hugh » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: