AssemblyBoard
April 27, 2024, 08:19:55 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Margaret Irons  (Read 18577 times)
Margaret Irons

Email
« on: January 08, 2003, 10:05:51 am »

This website is incredible--what a lot of thought and work.  I have been praying for something like this.

For those of you who don't know about us, Steve and I were hanging around with George before the Assembly began, and were in it for 20 years, with our 3 children.  As of March 2003 we will have been out for 13 years.

I am sure Steve will be signing in here soon.  There are so many things on this website that I would like to respond to, but for right now, I just want to agree that, yes, there is life after the assembly, and real joy in the Lord, and wonderful fellowship and worship with other believers, and healing for one's soul.  God is good.

trockman

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2003, 02:47:48 am »

Smiley Smiley
God Bless You Margaret Irons!

We all look forward to your contributions, especially about the pre-assembly days at Westmoreland Chapel, and Sister Harrison, and all the neat things that Brother George did prior to all that.  Wink

We also have a good time here, with heated debate, plenty of humor, and even a few hurt feelings.  On top of all that, I must say that I have been blessed and encouraged in The Lord by all of this.

Welcome!

Brent
4Him

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2003, 11:36:28 am »

Hi Margaret,
Great to hear from you again.  You sound like you could actually be walking in the faith of Jesus.  Could it really be true? Cool
Margaret Irons

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2003, 11:14:27 am »

Hi, 4Him--

Oh, yes it is true (maybe you have heard otherwise?).  The Lord has been very good to us, and our enjoyment of Him is greater than it ever has been.  It sounds like the same is true for you.

Blessings,

Margaret
Aslan213

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2003, 12:53:15 pm »

Hi Margaret,

Great to hear from you!  It would be great if you or Steve could let us know what's going on with your family.  When I was in the assembly, one of the leadership in the valley told all of us about three years ago how you all were doing.  Even then I could not believe what I was hearing.  Shocked  He completely tore apart your family concerning everyone's "wicked sins".   Cry

Sounds like they were doing damage control.  I didn't believe it then when under the influence of the assembly.  But I think it would help clarify what really is going on.

Proverbs 18:17 "The first to plead his case seems just, until another comes and examines him."
TGarisek

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2003, 05:30:34 am »

Dear Steve & Margaret,

What a wonderful way to reconnect with those who were truly your friends even though we weren't allowed to know for sure or to build those relationships.

I'm glad this tool is working good that seemingly couldn't be done otherwise. Brent  continues to do a tremendous job and I'm looking forward to additional contributions from you and many others that will change my life.

As always,

Your brother in Christ - Tony
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2003, 11:35:48 pm »

Hi Margaret, Tony, and Others! Smiley
   It is so good to hear all these voices from the past!  What a great encouragement to see God bringing us all back together with a chance to build friendships based on the grace of God.
   I would like to take the opportunity to thank Brent and his associates for providing this Website.  God has truly raised it up and it provides a ministry with many different positive resources.
  First the news articles' allow us to know how the Assembly spin machine is operating.  This is especially important for those considering leaving now.
   Second is the call to repentance of the Leaders that leaves the above spin control ineffective as it trys to maintain it's grip on it's members.  The truth will set those members free and could also do the same for the abusive Leaders, (Even the abusers can find recovery)
   Third the BB offers an opportunity for healing. The knowledge that leaving was the right decision for those who left removes a huge cloud of guilt and devastation that hangs over many from their Assembly experience.
   Fourth is the opportunity to help our friends by posting and writing articles.  There is happiness to be found in the washing of one another's feet.  I have been so blessed in reading the thoughts here and feel a real washing and renewing of my faith.
   Fifth is the challenge to think through my involvement in the Assembly and to strengthen my understanding of the Christian life.  God intends his children to grow up strong in the faith; to be healthy and happy followers through growing in grace and the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.  The Christian life is a blessed life! Smiley
   So, three cheers to Brent and his Associates and let us pray that all the above objectives will multiply and bring glory to God!             God Bless,  Mark C.
Verne Carty

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2003, 12:40:02 am »

What a plethora of poppy-cock was spread around regarding the departure of the Irons...witchcraft indeed! Have these individuals no shame? It was good to hear Steve's version of what actually happened. I never for one moment believed that balderdash. I met Steve briefly and thought he was a Godly brother. Thanks for checking in Maargaret.
Verne
margaret irons

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2003, 02:01:17 am »

Witchcraft, huh?  I did hear that from one person, but didn't know it was widely disseminated.  Maybe that explains something odd.  One day, about 2 years after we left, I went to visit my mom (Sister Mayo), and lo, Betty and Nancy Carter were there.  Betty acted extremely nervous to see me, said probably 2 words to me the whole time, and left right away--maybe she was afraid I would put a hex on her!

My mom, who was one of the original workers and had a beautiful certificate of commendation signed by George and all the workers, never left the group.  But George abandoned her.  He always used to drop by her apartment several times a year, but he never spoke to her again after we left.
editor
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2003, 02:13:59 am »

Margaret?

If you are a practicing witch, I ask you to stay away from all of us.  I had heard lots of other reasons why you guys left.  The main one concerning you was that you wanted to start your own counseling business, using the twelve step program, and that you were deceived.  George is such a godly man, that he pleaded with you to reconsider, and you were too stubborn to listen.

Now I know that was all a lie.  The real reason you left is because you are a witch. Is Steve also into WICCA?   Wink Wink

(Really, I'm kidding.  Is this in bad taste?)

Brent
Peacefulg

Email
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2003, 03:02:13 am »

Hi Margaret,

The one thing I continued to hear was in regards to your kids and THEIR BEHAVIOR!  

I found it quite interesting to hear later in the 90's they were all doing well and getting on with the Lord, but no one went and shouted this from the mountain tops.

Cheers,
G
Margret Irons

Email
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2003, 09:25:48 pm »

Due to the misinformation which seems to have gone around, Steve and I would like to fill you in a little on what has been going on with us.

Margaret speaking:  We did not fall away from the Lord after we left the assembly, although it took us awhile to settle down in a church.  Steve will have more to say on that.  I was never a witch, I don’t know anything about it.  And I never had any idea of starting my own counseling business.  Steve and I both work normal full-time jobs.  My mother, Sister Mayo, was living with us when we left.  We know now that she was then in the early stages of Alzheimers, or something related. She did not leave the group, but she was unable to attend, because the leading brothers would not allow me to come with her and she didn’t want to go with anyone else.  She passed away in February, 1996, at the age of 91.

Our kids are all adults now, and are probably reading this post.  They can speak for themselves, if they wish.  I can say that along the way there were periods of desperation and/or rebellion, but by the Lord’s great mercy, they are all now safe and leading happy, productive lives and we all love each other.  And we are the grandparents of 5 wonderful grandchildren.

Steve speaking:  A lot has happened to us over the past 12 years.  Most notably we have gained an understanding of what it means to be saved.  A few years after leaving the assembly I wrote the article “Full Salvation by Devout Effort” about George’s teaching on salvation.  I was wrestling with the question, “Can a believer enter into a fuller salvation (“so great salvation”) through personal holiness?”  I concluded that our salvation is already fully accomplished for us through Christ, and that no additional effort on our part can contribute anything to it.  That is not to say that we should not be living godly lives, but it means that sanctification is an out-growth of what we are in Christ, not of what we do for Christ.  For us, this understanding has quite revolutionized what it means to be a Christian.  We are released into joyful union with Christ!

About seven years ago the Lord graciously led us to a really good church body where we feel very much at home.  Every Sunday morning we hear the good news of what God has done for us, and through the Lord’s supper we receive the benefits of Christ’s sacrifice.  Instead of us giving to God, God gives to us!  Last year, the congregation elected me to be one of their elders, so I am quite busy participating in the Sunday services and sharing in the pastoral care of the members.  What I am describing here is a confessional reformed church, so you can see that our understanding of the church has changed, as well as our understanding of justification and sanctification.

I’d like to underscore what Dave Sable said in his recent posting about relationships.  I found this to be a real key in my own healing.  It is not good to be alone in your own thoughts.  Having acceptance and reassurance from your brothers and sisters in Christ is positively wonderful.

We have probably not answered all the questions.  Undoubtedly there are things weighing on the hearts of some which we need to apologize for but have forgotten or are unaware of.  Our email address is posted, and are glad to be in touch with all of you again.

Peacefulg

Email
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2003, 10:21:26 pm »

Thanks Steve and Margaret for the information.

Lord Bless,
G
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2003, 05:04:59 am »

Hi, Margaret & Steve,

It has been a very long time! I'm glad to hear you and yours are well. I sent a message to Margaret inquiring about the boys and nearly forgot Keren - Horn of Joy!

I would love to be able to email them sometime.

Perhaps you could pass along my address: badbear67@yahoo.com

To the rest: I had a lot of friends from Fullerton that I would enjoy hearing from and I'm guessing more and more of the Midwestern alumn will soon find the board as well.

Let's hear from you!
4Him

Email
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2003, 10:37:06 am »

Hi, 4Him--
Oh, yes it is true (maybe you have heard otherwise?).  The Lord has been very good to us, and our enjoyment of Him is greater than it ever has been.  It sounds like the same is true for you.
Blessings,
Margaret

Margaret, I heard otherwise long ago, but Steve's story (1992) along with Rachel's brought about a new enlightenment to me.  Yes, I was being somewhat facetious.  I do that sometimes.  Wink

After reading that old article that he wrote, it was quite clear to me that those things that came out of Calle Serena, and many more, were nothing but lies.   And, yes, I will admit to being more encouraged in the Lord than any time I can remember in my 24+ years in the Assemblies (except maybe when my dear Arlene and I were married).

Oh, I don't know why, but I never realized that Sister Mayo was your mother!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: