AssemblyBoard
May 02, 2024, 12:10:50 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Contemporary Christian Culture  (Read 66381 times)
mithrandir
« on: January 11, 2004, 06:22:36 am »

So far, I have confined my posts to things that almost everyone on this board agrees with.  Now I am about to venture into uncharted (and potentially shark-infested) waters.  All I ask is, don't yell at me too loud.  I'm just a little kid! Wink  BTW, this was all sparked by the very early thread on the "Left Behind" series on this board.  Anyway, here goes:

Much has been said in criticism of CCM and of its related cultures, such as “Contemporary Christian Literature,” “Contemporary Christian Art,” and mega-box-store Christian bookstore chains. In my opinion, the criticisms are entirely valid. Contemporary Christian music is usually theologically shallow and technically sloppy. And it all sounds the same – someone with a voice like Britney or Justin Timberlake singing meaningless words against a background of heavy synthesizers, electric guitars and drums. Of course, you can add an acoustic guitar, and all of a sudden you have “acoustically flavored Christian rock” or “folk-flavored contemporary Christian music” even though all of the other instruments are electric. (This is as laughable as buying those drinks which are supposed to be good for you because they are made with “real fruit juice” although there’s not much more than 5 percent real fruit juice in the drink!) It has been said that Nashville session musicians who are paid to add backing instrumentals to CCM albums refer to their work as “J-J”, or “Junk for Jesus.” True musical innovation – i.e., traditional folk, neo-classical, progressive acoustic music, or any other departure from the norm is not allowed in CCM.

Look at the way the music is packaged, and you will have further cause for alarm. Increasingly, CCM artists are being marketed on the basis of sex appeal. A look at some of the newer young female artists shows photos of them which are, shall we say, much more revealing than they would have been ten or twenty years ago. And look at the testimonies of these artists. They claim to speak for Christ, to speak of a Savior who has proven to be the answer to their deepest problems, yet their private lives are often indistinguishable from those in the world. Jaci Velasquez, for instance, can be seen acting in “Chasing Papi,” a movie which is “inappropriate for young children because of mild sexuality and language.”

Let us consider Christian books. I can honestly say that I believe Jesus Christ is coming again to earth – literally, physically, historically. Yet I can also honestly say that the “Left Behind” series is among the most poorly written novels I have ever been exposed to. Christian fiction seems to be divided between schlocky “conspiracy theory/end of the world” novels and historical fiction. There is nothing in between. Very little attention is given to character development in these books; indeed, the characters seem to be mere cardboard cutouts – excuses for the action to happen. And when we move to Christian non-fiction, can anyone tell me why books by Oliver North and Larry King are being sold in Christian bookstores? What about the ridiculous “What Would Jesus Eat” diet books? Whatever happened to books on sound theology and the duty of Christians?

The problem in all of this and in what’s broadcast on Christian radio as well, is that these things have long since ceased to be a ministry. They are all part of a business. Moreover, that business is largely no longer owned by Christians, but by secular corporations which view the “Christian” portions of their businesses simply as a means to reap profits from a special portion of our society. Look at it this way. We are like money trees. For those of us with jobs, money grows on all of us once every two weeks (or perhaps once a month). The stores we go to and the ads which get us to spend money are the harvesting machines which strip us clean once every two weeks or once a month, as the money sprouts from us. For gullible Christians, the stores and advertisers have “Christian” harvesting machines. They take our money and leave us with junk.

What is the solution? I propose that we as Christians (at least as Christians who care) should opt out of the system. I personally haven’t bought anything from a Christian bookstore in several months, and I don’t think I ever will again. Stop giving these people your money.

Next, re-define what is meant by ministry. If a ministry is something I do so I can get rich and be famous (all for the Lord, of course!) then that ministry can be corrupted much more easily than something I do for free, without any hope of earthly reward. Take music for instance. A ministry that can’t be corrupted would be for a person to have a responsible day job, then to study and practice by night so that he or she could give concerts for free. Or a person could learn to play a musical instrument and play it well, then teach free classes to those who can’t afford to take lessons. A Christian artist who wanted to glorify God with his guitar could get a responsible job – say, as an electrical engineer – and buy several inexpensive guitars to give to kids in his neighborhood. He could start a guitar class. Then he could host a graduation recital where the kids invited families and friends, and the Gospel was preached. And he could do it all for FREE! That kind of ministry can’t be easily corrupted by the mammon of unrighteousness!

If a man or woman wants to be a Christian artist, he or she can study the craft of the art. A Christian guitarist should know how to read standard notation and tablature, should know about altered tunings and modes, should seek to learn good fingerstyle technique, etc. He should not be content merely to play strummy-strum-strum praise choruses with lyrics like this:

Lord, I lift my hands to You,
Praise Your Name

repeated a dozen times. And when it comes to poetry, lyrics, and stories, pleeeease, go to school! A Christian poet should be able to recognize iambs, trochees, spondees, dactyls, and anapests – and know how to use them. He or she should be able to write a sestina, a villanelle, a sonnet or a haiku. He or she should know how to build a metaphor, a word picture, a parable. Consider the literary group known as “the Inklings”. J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis were both members of that society. They pushed each other to excellence in their writing. And look at the result: they blow most modern authors clean out of the water.

Lastly, the Internet can be a good place to share art, poetry and even songs without having to pay a lot. And you can bypass the greedy money-harvesters.

This has been a rather long-winded dissertation, for which I apologize. Now, what do you think?

editor
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2004, 06:45:04 am »

I like what you have to say, Clarence, and I agree with you.  

However, today, almost 50% of the people out there were in the bottom half of their class!  Due to the deteriorating nature of our culture (or any culture, for that matter) it will always be an uphill battle for beauty, intellect, kindness, nobility, and great minds will always be scarce.

Free people produce great people, and we used to be free in America.  As we abandon our liberty, we will abandon our greatness, and people with minds like Lewis or Tolkien will become increasingly few.  In a culture like ours, God will still have a way of reaching people, but it won't be through Iambic Pentameter, or Sonnets.  It might be through over produced Christian music and stadium sound systems.

Remember, synagogues were at one time a great place to outreach, but not any longer.  If you can't appeal to someone's mind, perhaps you can reach them through their love of dancing?

These are my thoughts.  I long for thinkers again.  There are a few, but not as many as I would like.

Brent
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2004, 06:58:46 am »

I like what you have to say, Clarence, and I agree with you.  

However, today, almost 50% of the people out there were in the bottom half of their class!  Due to the deteriorating nature of our culture (or any culture, for that matter) it will always be an uphill battle for beauty, intellect, kindness, nobility, and great minds will always be scarce.

Free people produce great people, and we used to be free in America.  As we abandon our liberty, we will abandon our greatness, and people with minds like Lewis or Tolkien will become increasingly few.  In a culture like ours, God will still have a way of reaching people, but it won't be through Iambic Pentameter, or Sonnets.  It might be through over produced Christian music and stadium sound systems.

Remember, synagogues were at one time a great place to outreach, but not any longer.  If you can't appeal to someone's mind, perhaps you can reach them through their love of dancing?

These are my thoughts.  I long for thinkers again.  There are a few, but not as many as I would like.

Brent

Has anyone read Closing of the American Mind from the mid-80's? It suggests many of the same ideas.

Since we're on the subject, anyone want to help me write a comparison/contrast paper on the theme of exile in the novels The Tale of Genji and Moll Flanders? Maybe you could fly down to sunny Florida and take care of the oral presentation part in my Lit class! Tongue

Any takers? I've got a nice beach. Cool

Scott
d3z

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2004, 08:37:58 am »

A couple of points to add to what the wizard has said.

I think much of Christian music is just trying to be like the world's music.  Much modern secular music is more mass produced than interested in talent.  There are some modern Christian artists who are amazingly talented, but they're usually not as popular.

I just played the piano with the worship team at my church.  My church has an incredibly talented group of musicians, and I consider this to be quite a privelege.  We do contemporary praise music, but tend to avoid the songs with droning repeated lyrics.  Often we have sample recordings of the songs done at other churches.  Usually they end up sounding better than the recordings.  Our drummer is the most talented drummer I've known, and not just in Christian circles.

Several of the group are professional musicians, and others have "conventional" jobs.  The only person who gets paid is the music director.  He does an excellent job.

However, many churches aren't able to find people who have that much talent.  I think that is part of why there are some worship songs that are done so simply.  As Brent said 50% are below average (technically, 50% are below median).

A good question is: who is being glorified?  It isn't always God.
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2004, 09:08:27 am »

The problem in all of this and in what’s broadcast on Christian radio as well, is that these things have long since ceased to be a ministry. They are all part of a business. Moreover, that business is largely no longer owned by Christians, but by secular corporations which view the “Christian” portions of their businesses simply as a means to reap profits from a special portion of our society. Look at it this way. We are like money trees. For those of us with jobs, money grows on all of us once every two weeks (or perhaps once a month). The stores we go to and the ads which get us to spend money are the harvesting machines which strip us clean once every two weeks or once a month, as the money sprouts from us. For gullible Christians, the stores and advertisers have “Christian” harvesting machines. They take our money and leave us with junk.

What is the solution? I propose that we as Christians (at least as Christians who care) should opt out of the system. I personally haven’t bought anything from a Christian bookstore in several months, and I don’t think I ever will again. Stop giving these people your money.

Perhaps churches should avoid the promotion of mass-market music and books that is implicit by their use in church services and study groups.  In order for things to sell well they need to be popular, and the popular way is not the way to life.

Matthew 7:13-14
Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

John 2:16
And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house an house of merchandise.

Exodus 20:23-26
Ye shall not make with me gods of silver, neither shall ye make unto you gods of gold.  An altar of earth thou shalt make unto me, and shalt sacrifice thereon thy burnt offerings, and thy peace offerings, thy sheep, and thine oxen: in all places where I record my name I will come unto thee, and I will bless thee.  And if thou wilt make me an altar of stone, thou shalt not build it of hewn stone: for if thou lift up thy tool upon it, thou hast polluted it.  Neither shalt thou go up by steps unto mine altar, that thy nakedness be not discovered thereon.

(That last sentence seems to be adverse to way some Christian books seem to present formulas for the Christian life.)

While the Exodus passage might seem to be against all Christian art, I think the idea is that it should not draw our attention away from God.  Later God gave instructions for the tabernacle, and then there was Solomon's temple.

Bach in his cantatas wrote counter melodies that would endorse rather than detract from the thematic hymn tune.  No other composer did as good a job of subordinating the counter melody to supporting the theme.
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2004, 09:54:46 am »

So far, I have confined my posts to things that almost everyone on this board agrees with.  Now I am about to venture into uncharted (and potentially shark-infested) waters.  All I ask is, don't yell at me too loud.  I'm just a little kid! Wink  

What about the ridiculous “What Would Jesus Eat” diet books? Whatever happened to books on sound theology and the duty of Christians?

And when it comes to poetry, lyrics, and stories, pleeeease, go to school! A Christian poet should be able to recognize iambs, trochees, spondees, dactyls, and anapests – and know how to use them. He or she should be able to write a sestina, a villanelle, a sonnet or a haiku. He or she should know how to build a metaphor, a word picture, a parable. Consider the literary group known as “the Inklings”. J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis were both members of that society. They pushed each other to excellence in their writing. And look at the result: they blow most modern authors clean out of the water.

This has been a rather long-winded dissertation, for which I apologize. Now, what do you think?

Well said Clarence!  I think that we are kindred spirits, which probably makes us both old fogies as well  Wink!  Scott mentioned the book, "The Closing Of The American Mind," that I have read several times which deals with the modern rejection of traditional philosophy based in absolutes in favor of a view that sees all truth as relative.  If there is no way to understand life, and every opinion is as valid as the next, our minds close up and relate to the world only on the basis of what makes us feel good.  This kind of "progessive thought" has come to the Christian world and infected it as well.  Who God is, what His will is, discernment in matters of faith, etc., don't attract much of a following these days.  I'm glad you are here to remind us of these things and to stir us up to think on them.  BTW: what would Jesus eat? Wink    God Bless,  Mark C.  

M2
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2004, 10:10:01 am »

Clarence,

I agree with you on CCM and CCL etc. I present this perspective as a mother with 2 teens.

I was unsaved as a teen. I listened to the radio a lot and know a lot of the songs from the 50s 60s and 70s. (I wasn't a teen that long:)). I was saved in January 1982. Now when I listen to the Oldies radio station I am amazed at how many of the songs I actually know and remember. The point is that teens like to listen to music, and when they get to their 40s the songs that they mostly remember are the ones they heard in their teen years, even the words. I would rather have them remember songs with Christian words than those with "worldly" and sometimes defiling words.

Similarly with the books. I remember starting to read the Mandie books to my kids. After 2 books I was not able to continue feeding my kids that twaddle. Anyone out there who disagrees with me? Jerry Jenkins and Tim LaHaye have a talent of stretching out their scenario of the end times. One of the books was one day, but they managed to stretch it out into a whole book; large print, double spaced, a few blank pages and Voila we have a novel. I personally prefer Thoene and Michael Philips for literature quality. However, with Thoene she tends to get into the romance and relationship aspect as well, whereas Jenkins/LaHaye and Philips do not. I prefer that my teens have something to read, so I cannot boycott Christian bookstores at this time.
My son has read LOTR 7 or 8 times maybe. and Narnia Chronicles a couple of time (I think). But he is now reading secular authors as he loves to read.

Lord bless,
Marcia
Peacefulg

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2004, 12:41:44 pm »

Hi Clarence, you have truly struck a cord with me, it is amazing how low Christian music has become.  

It is very sad to see artist repeatedly say that Keith Green is an influence in their music and yet there are very few out there will to NOT COMPROMISE the message, life style, and "ministry".

Ministry is to meet the needs of the people and not your pocketbook.  Again there are still some great artist out there, but for the most part they are not very well known.

Lord Bless,
G
d3z

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2004, 09:01:32 pm »

I saw Michael Card perform a few years ago.  It was so different than normal contemporary Christian music.  He even opened his bible and preached for a bit.  I think the thing I saw in Michael that seems rare is humility.

I believe that the 2nd chapter of acts stopped performing largely because of what they saw happening to the Christian music "industry".

As for who the bass player is, do you remember which album it is on?  Each album will have credits, and perhaps someone can find the actual case.
editor
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2004, 10:46:46 pm »

Viva Jaco!!
Verne

I wonder how many people here know who Jaco Pastorius is Verne?  I am one who does!

As for Christian music, I can highly recommend the Vinyard Worship Cd's.  Truly excellent in every way.  The Newsboys are good, although not that "cool" anymore.  They did draw a huge crowd at the Mid-State fair here last summer, however.

Jars of Clay are also good, although a little passe`

Get a Vinyard CD, and you will find the whole atmosphere of your house transformed.

Brent
chrisnortonfan1

Email
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2004, 01:24:34 am »

I have reading this post with great interest.
I have for many years been quite appalled by the Christian "culture" and its insular nature. Aside from the subpar literature, my biggest pet peeve is CCM music.
 The dribble they dipense on CCM music radio is  insulting quite frankly.   What further amuses me are "Christian" groups that get dissed when they cross over into the DREADED world of secular rock.  I remember in my youth group in the 80s poor Amy Grant being lambasted as the devil's handmaiden.  Of course now, there are so many spirtual groups in the mainstream (P.O.D., Chevelle, Sixpence None the Richer).  And there are always those Christians that say "Oh, I'm not listening to them anymore, they don't have God and Jesus in their lyrics. Roll Eyes!  It mystifies me, but if they want to limit themselves, that is their choice.

I am a big myself of the Christian alternative music movement.  They are making true music and are salt and light in the truest sense.  Of course, a lot of them make bad music and many of them are far from perfect.  However, when I glimpse at the alternative, I can only shake my head.
I admit it I'm an artistic snob!

Margaret

Email
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2004, 02:38:48 am »

Re. CCM, I have been wanting to let everyone know that Brad Mathias, formerly of Tuscola IL, now of Nashville TN, is managing partner in Butterfly Group, the fourth largest producer of Christian music.  Check them out at http://www.christianrecords.net/ .  Some of their albums are West Coast Worship (Saddleback CA), God of All Comfort (Glad), African Children's Choir, Orbit (Jill Parr), Butterfly Kids 1 & 2, and many more.  They also have a series called Senior Select, which has interesting reworks of standard hymns.
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2004, 04:07:42 am »

Re. CCM, I have been wanting to let everyone know that Brad Mathias, formerly of Tuscola IL, now of Nashville TN, is managing partner in Butterfly Group, the fourth largest producer of Christian music.  Check them out at http://www.christianrecords.net/ .  Some of their albums are West Coast Worship (Saddleback CA), God of All Comfort (Glad), African Children's Choir, Orbit (Jill Parr), Butterfly Kids 1 & 2, and many more.  They also have a series called Senior Select, which has interesting reworks of standard hymns.

And yes, much of the downfall of CCM can be traced directly to Brad Mathias! I blame the many hours secretly listening to WLS AM in Chicago while growing up.

Many of these artists have auditioned for Brad only to be shot down because they did not sound enough like Foreigner or Journey. And while many would gladly minister through music via free concerts and webcasts, Mathias will have not of it, insisting on mega-million contracts!

Every word of this is, of course, meant to be humorous (except the WLS part Smiley ). One of the reasons Brad got involved in this (he's also a first-rate chiropractor), is because he would love to increase the quality of offerings in Christian media. Rich Mullins is one of his favorite artists.

Hopefully, he'll be a good influence at Butterfly. He's registered on the board and has listed his email address. Bet he would be glad to dialogue with some of you on this topic.

Scott

PS- He introduced me to Jill Parr last summer when we visited him and his family in Franklin - at a Chuckie Cheese!  Grin She's a sweetheart by the way and is very talented.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 04:09:52 am by Scott McCumber » Logged
BeckyW

Email
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2004, 07:39:12 am »

I just played the piano with the worship team at my church.  My church has an incredibly talented group of musicians, and I consider this to be quite a privelege.  We do contemporary praise music, but tend to avoid the songs with droning repeated lyrics.  Often we have sample recordings of the songs done at other churches.  Usually they end up sounding better than the recordings.  Our drummer is the most talented drummer I've known, and not just in Christian circles.

Several of the group are professional musicians, and others have "conventional" jobs.  The only person who gets paid is the music director.  He does an excellent job.

This is a fun thread to read.  David, much of the above could be said about the place where we go now, except you're not the piano player.  And Phill is the talented one on the drums!
Chrisnortonfan, artistic snob that he is, told us of the City on a Hill series of cds, they're great.  Thanks, Chris.   Cool
We like Caedmon's Call, Phill likes John Anderson who used to be with Yes, and now with 4 Him.  Chris Rice is very good. We heard for years of the shallow worldiness of CCM, but are finding quite the opposite in many cases.
We've always liked Michael Card, his Starkindler cd is a particular favorite of mine.
Mithrandir, have you read anything by Sigmund Brouwer?  Canadian author, wrote Double Helix and a number of others.  Or how about The Maestro by T. Davis Bunn?  Not the Inklings, but well told.
Perhaps I'm just another 'clueless' swimmer, but did want to offer a few opinions. I love that we don't all have to agree on these things.
Becky
wmathews

Email
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2004, 09:47:37 am »

Clarence,
  Your observations parallel mine. This can also be carried to political life, the so-called exclusive domain of the republican party as the home for the Christian right.  Yet the Sermon on the Mount as Jesus taught was anything but right wing politics! Personally, as a Vietnam veteran, my motto is I love my country, but I don't trust my government. And this seems to be the motivation of the framers of the Constitution, fugitives from the English church-state.  Now we have the popular consumer culture of the good old USA, which has become the mecca for this burgeoning Christian pop culture of music and literature, consistent with K-Mart quality.  I encourage folks to read the classics, the bible of course, but add some Dostoevsky, a little Melville, some CS Lewis, a bit of Shakespeare. Just as junk food warnings are becoming more necessary for health, a junk culture warning is in order for Christians today.  Bravo for mithandir's insights!  Wanted: original christian thinkers for an unprecedented conformist culture!
<out of the box>
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: