AssemblyBoard
April 20, 2024, 03:26:23 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chess playing  (Read 37930 times)
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2004, 03:17:20 am »

Lucas----

Just out of curiosity, are there any chess openings or moves that Bobby Fischer is credited with? if so, what would his most famous one be? I'm asking for an unusual reason(it has to do with a book that Paul Hoffman--who is Dr. Crypton--wrote), but very seriously. You seem to know a lot about chess so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks,Joe

Well, he is accredited more for a new kind of chess clock than any particular opening, but even then, he is also accredited for the creation of "Fischer Random Chess" (chess where the initial squares of the pieces are randomly shuffled) which he made to reduce the importance of memorizing opening moves.

As for moves he is famous for, he wrote an article in response to his first loss to Boris Spassky's play of the King's Gambit entitled "A Bust to the King's Gambit" which fully detailed how to win against it.

Other than that, nothing really comes to mind - Fisher was more of a shock player than a strategist, IMO.

--
lucas
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 03:18:13 am by Lucas Sturnfield » Logged
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2004, 05:51:35 am »

Lucas----

OK---thanks for your response.

---Joe
editor
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2004, 07:16:48 am »

Did you have the Black or White pieces? If White, what was your opening? If Black what was your defense?
Verne

I played black and white each twice.  My first opening with white was loosely based upon the Benko opening, and my 2nd the Blackmar Diemer gambit.

I am not exactly sure what openings Brent played, but I countered the first one with the Dutch.  The 2nd was rather oddball, but I guess it would be most closely approximated as a Mason's Variation.

--
lucas

OK, I have never heard of any of that above.  Do you guys understand what we are dealing with here?  This kid is so much smarter than I am,  (and larger and stronger) that I am beginning to be afraid.  Grin

Be nice to Lucas.

Brent
Kimberley Tobin
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2004, 08:01:19 am »

Did you have the Black or White pieces? If White, what was your opening? If Black what was your defense?
Verne

I played black and white each twice.  My first opening with white was loosely based upon the Benko opening, and my 2nd the Blackmar Diemer gambit.

I am not exactly sure what openings Brent played, but I countered the first one with the Dutch.  The 2nd was rather oddball, but I guess it would be most closely approximated as a Mason's Variation.

--
lucas

OK, I have never heard of any of that above.  Do you guys understand what we are dealing with here?  This kid is so much smarter than I am,  (and larger and stronger) that I am beginning to be afraid.  Grin

Be nice to Lucas.

Brent

No, I don't understand any of it and that is why I REFUSE to learn how to play chess.  My husband has annoyed me for the length of our marriage (10 years) to learn how to play and I resoundingly refuse. Shocked

I don't want to have to stuff my brain (already on overload Shocked) with meaningless drivvle on how to win chess.  I look at it like learning languages.  If you started young, that's great!  For us old fogies, I'm just resigned to enjoy life and what I DO know!

Happy chess playing y'all!
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2004, 08:18:15 am »

Be nice to Lucas.

Brent

You mean he's not a skinny little geek sitting in front of his computer with taped glasses and a pocket protector?! That's not hardly fair! Huh Huh

In case someone wants to complain about how unfair that is,  I would just like to quote Betty Geftakys:  "Life isn't fair.  The sooner we understand that, the better off we will be."
Brent

*sigh*

Grin Wink Cool

S
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2004, 10:42:44 am »

--
lucas

Be nice to Lucas.

Brent

No, I don't understand any of it and that is why I REFUSE to learn how to play chess.  My husband has annoyed me for the length of our marriage (10 years) to learn how to play and I resoundingly refuse. Shocked

I don't want to have to stuff my brain (already on overload Shocked) with meaningless drivvle on how to win chess.  I look at it like learning languages.  If you started young, that's great!  For us old fogies, I'm just resigned to enjoy life and what I DO know!

Happy chess playing y'all!

If you both learned Go, then your husband wouldn't have an unfair advantage.  Chess is a game that is not very popular among women.  Go fares better since it is more intuitive than logical.

Learning new things of substance is good exercise for the brain and helps keep you young.  If you don't like games, you should find something else of significance to learn.

Old people can even learn languages.  An older Cambodian woman at church said that besides her native language she knows Chinese, Vietnamese, French, Thai, some Tagalog and of course English, and she is working on learning Spanish.
Kimberley Tobin
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2004, 08:31:51 pm »

If you both learned Go, then your husband wouldn't have an unfair advantage.  Chess is a game that is not very popular among women.  Go fares better since it is more intuitive than logical.

Learning new things of substance is good exercise for the brain and helps keep you young.  If you don't like games, you should find something else of significance to learn.

Old people can even learn languages.  An older Cambodian woman at church said that besides her native language she knows Chinese, Vietnamese, French, Thai, some Tagalog and of course English, and she is working on learning Spanish.

I'm learning new things all the time.............yoga, my insurance business (now that's enough new knowledge to have to cramm into my wee brain!)

Most games don't interest me!

I like the group games that make everyone laugh........Cranium, Taboo, etc.  Games like chess don't interest me..........remind me too much of being in school.  I'm a kinisthetic learner...........wasn't conducive to the normal educational process and learning chess reminds me of such.
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2004, 12:13:01 am »

Lucas, have you ever lost to a girl?Huh?  If so how long did you set the timer for 3hours, 3 days, 3 min???just wondering I happen to love the game....I actually had a new set in my hand Christmas shopping and put it back on the shelf......duhh....

Well, the "biggest" loss I had to a girl was back in the '01 Illinois State Championships where she finished with a single loss (and that was to the undefeated champion) and sent me back about 19 places in the ranking.  Those were 4 hour games.  

But as for females playing the game, it really isn't all that uncommon.  The chess team at my 2nd highschool had 9 girls, 28 guys on it and my first highschool had 5 girls, 4 guys (heh, 2 of which were my brother and I).  

if you ever want to play........ Wink

actually, i will go ahead and say "goodbye all" here.  Feel free to drop me emails  Wink

--
lucas
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 03:18:19 am by Lucas Sturnfield » Logged
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2004, 01:35:45 am »

I was recruited to work at the supercomputing center here in champaign, and am able to leave the board up all day while I work.  

I first "returned" to the board over my winter break, when I was back in Chicago and had little or nothing to do.  Assuming my usual schedule from last semester, I did not think I would have the extra time needed to maintain a board presence, and only said "goodbye" as there are ones who frequent this board whom I respect.

--
lucas
Robb Middleton
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2004, 11:03:07 am »

I was recruited to work at the supercomputing center here in champaign, and am able to leave the board up all day while I work.  
lucas

Yeah, one of the great benefits of working for one of the most powerful computing centers outside of Silicon Valley is the bleeding edge computing gadgets they've got. . .Must be why they call Champaign the Silicon Prairie!

Lucas, great to hear you got a job in here and are doing well.  Which group do you work with there (TMG...). I worked their briefly with NCSA back about 7 or 8 years ago, when I was a little smarter and had some interest in working with computers.  Hope everything is well . . . give me a ring sometime if you have the time from your serious Wink work.
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2004, 07:01:20 am »

lucas

Yeah, one of the great benefits of working for one of the most powerful computing centers outside of Silicon Valley is the bleeding edge computing gadgets they've got. . .Must be why they call Champaign the Silicon Prairie!

Lucas, great to hear you got a job in here and are doing well.  Which group do you work with there (TMG...). I worked their briefly with NCSA back about 7 or 8 years ago, when I was a little smarter and had some interest in working with computers.  Hope everything is well . . . give me a ring sometime if you have the time from your serious Wink work.

Actually, I work at the Beckman Institute with the NCSA.  They give me tons of fun toys to play with, much better than ACM to be sure  Roll Eyes

--
lucas
Robb Middleton
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2004, 11:34:44 pm »

[quote author=Lucas Sturnfield link=board=14;threadid=572;start=0#msg16043
Actually, I work at the Beckman Institute with the NCSA.  They give me tons of fun toys to play with, much better than ACM to be sure  Roll Eyes
lucas

I'm sure, 'specially with the opportunity to go Caving there at Beckman.  The Cave is at Beckman, right?  After all, it has been a while for me.

Great place to work.  Hope you do well.  

-Robb
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 11:36:28 pm by Robb Middleton » Logged
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2004, 09:01:46 am »

[quote author=Lucas Sturnfield link=board=14;threadid=572;start=0#msg16043
lucas

I'm sure, 'specially with the opportunity to go Caving there at Beckman.  The Cave is at Beckman, right?  After all, it has been a while for me.

Great place to work.  Hope you do well.  

-Robb

Haha, you are two for two Smiley

My work is specifically oriented to the CAVE - generating algorithms for the display of phylogenetic trees to be exact

......that and playing Quake 3 when my boss isn't around Wink  It is awesome, the first time I died I physically fell over  Roll Eyes

--
lucas
Robb Middleton
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2004, 01:13:05 am »

Yes, the great Quake - played it a couple of times.  Somewhat addictive, if I had a good machine and time to play.  Most days, my computer's tied up with work related to school.  That, or the latest version of an AWESOME game - "Reader Rabbit Kindergarten"  Grin HaHa, no really it's great, if you're 6 years old - my son Joel loves it.
Jarl Bobson

Email
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2005, 02:51:48 pm »

I miss those times of playing Tim Ross Grin
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: