AssemblyBoard
April 18, 2024, 08:32:41 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Chess playing  (Read 37914 times)
Mark Kisla
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2004, 07:47:26 am »

There's an old war movie called "Heaven knows, Mr. Allison" in which the sole survivor of a Navy ship sunk by the Japanese lands on an evacuated island on which only a nun is left.  Later the Japanese land on the island, and he sneaks into their storeroom to find supplies, but the guards return unexpectedly.  He ends up having to lie there hiding motionless through the whole night while the guards play two games of Go.
"Heaven knows Mr. Allison" ...great old war flick. Watched "Seabiscuit" last week, great movie also.
retread

Email
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2004, 11:48:47 am »

Hey, is GO the game they played at the university in A Beautiful Mind? Great flick, btw.

Scott

Yup, one of the few games where you can play perfectly and still lose

--
lucas

So I take it that you may be one of the few who would know why Nolan Bushnell named his company Atari.
brian

Email
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2004, 10:05:25 pm »

Hey, is GO the game they played at the university in A Beautiful Mind? Great flick, btw.

while i did enjoy the movie immensely, once again the book was even better. the book was strictly factual, while there are a lot of things they twisted around in the movie. the book has fascinating math theory, fascinating insights into the bizzare world of genuine mental disorder, and invasively yet compassionately rounds out the picture of who the man really was. highly recommended reading for anyone remotely interested in these topics.

brian
Kimberley Tobin
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2004, 10:25:05 pm »

while i did enjoy the movie immensely, once again the book was even better. the book was strictly factual, while there are a lot of things they twisted around in the movie. the book has fascinating math theory, fascinating insights into the bizzare world of genuine mental disorder, and invasively yet compassionately rounds out the picture of who the man really was. highly recommended reading for anyone remotely interested in these topics.

brian

I thought the movie was beautifully done (whether completely factual or not for dramatic purposes, whatever...)  For someone who went through something very similar, it portrayed what it feels like to experience life in that way.  Trying to explain it to someone is rather difficult.  Being able to see the movie with someone I love and allow them to see what I experienced was wonderful.
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2004, 10:59:19 am »

Scott

--
lucas

So I take it that you may be one of the few who would know why Nolan Bushnell named his company Atari.

Yup, and considering Atari 2600's are still selling for $60 on ebay to this day, I believe he did.

--
lucas
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2004, 01:59:41 am »

--
lucas

It depends on how you define "perfectly".  Your usage seems to mean only as well as can reasonably be expected of a mere human.

True perfect play by both players combined with a perfectly defined komi should result in a tie.  Komi is the score adjustment that is used to compensate for the first player advantage.  Various tournaments use values that range from 5.5 in Japan to 7.5 by the Ing rules.  Present opinion seems to be that black has a 7 point advantage from going first.
vernecarty
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2004, 05:43:06 pm »

Say whatever you want about Assembly childtraining:

However, today I was soundly, conclusively beaten in chess by Lucas Sturnfield.  He made me look stupid, and I am actually a pretty good player....at least I thought I was.

Whatever the detriments of Assembly child training are, chess aptitude is not one of them, at least in the Sturnfield family.

My short term life goal is to beat him just once....

Brent

Did you have the Black or White pieces? If White, what was your opening? If Black what was your defense?
Verne
« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 09:29:16 pm by vernecarty » Logged
Kimberley Tobin
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2004, 12:14:24 am »

I'm not so worried for the kids who grew up in the assembly.  Most of them don't want to have anything to do with the likes of the assembly.  Since your children weren't raised with the assembly, you will have to educate them as to these wolves in sheeps clothing.  My children will have nothing to do with anything resembling the assembly.  They had enough of it for one lifetime. Grin
M2
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2004, 01:05:43 am »

I'm not so worried for the kids who grew up in the assembly.  Most of them don't want to have anything to do with the likes of the assembly.  Since your children weren't raised with the assembly, you will have to educate them as to these wolves in sheeps clothing.  My children will have nothing to do with anything resembling the assembly.  They had enough of it for one lifetime. Grin
Kimberley,

You might be surprised at how many AKs do not see it the way yours do. Many of the AKs were not involved in assembly politics and have close friendships with the other AKs. Some teens find it difficult to move to a new school/church etc. if they have established friendships where they are.

Marcia
Kimberley Tobin
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2004, 01:48:50 am »

I must say, I wasn't using just my kids, but the teens that my girl is still in touch with.  Granted, most of the teens that she stays in touch with (not all) were not the leaders kids, just the lowly members.  

As I've said before, I believe the kids go one of two ways.  They buy the assembly line hook, line and sinker or they want nothing to do with the assembly. (Strangely enough quite a few first borns in the Fullerton assembly were of the latter group!)
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2004, 01:15:43 pm »

Regarding Chess were we not all game pieces on George and Bettys Board..Lets see GG=king,Betty= queen,Elders=Bishops,Workers=rooks,
                                                                LB's=knights...

...so, are you saying that the LBs' every move was crooked? Huh Grin

;)al

Uh Oh

Email
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2004, 10:33:05 pm »

I must say, I wasn't using just my kids, but the teens that my girl is still in touch with.  Granted, most of the teens that she stays in touch with (not all) were not the leaders kids, just the lowly members.  

As I've said before, I believe the kids go one of two ways.  They buy the assembly line hook, line and sinker or they want nothing to do with the assembly. (Strangely enough quite a few first borns in the Fullerton assembly were of the latter group!)

It wasn't just Fullerton - first borns left from every where.   From my end, I had to constantly downply the roll of the assembly in my life from the time I was in kindergarten through high school.  It was kind of weird actually...I resented the assembly growing up, and when I went to college and finally had the chance to bail, I got kind of freaked out and became a full blown assemblyite for about 9 months.  It it wasn't for Tim Geftakys being a total asshole during a time of "counseling" in California at a seminar, I definitely would have stayed in longer.

I guess instead of being unhappy with Tim Geffatass, perhaps I should be thankful that seeing his true colors early on which gave me an excuse to bail.

Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2004, 10:56:16 pm »

Kim,

Here's a fairly representative sample: Of the first gen Assembly Kids in Tuscola (somewhere between 30 and 50 kids), exactly two stayed involved over the years.

Scott
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2004, 12:16:24 am »

Did you have the Black or White pieces? If White, what was your opening? If Black what was your defense?
Verne

I played black and white each twice.  My first opening with white was loosely based upon the Benko opening, and my 2nd the Blackmar Diemer gambit.

I am not exactly sure what openings Brent played, but I countered the first one with the Dutch.  The 2nd was rather oddball, but I guess it would be most closely approximated as a Mason's Variation.

--
lucas
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2004, 02:10:05 am »

Lucas----

Just out of curiosity, are there any chess openings or moves that Bobby Fischer is credited with? if so, what would his most famous one be? I'm asking for an unusual reason(it has to do with a book that Paul Hoffman--who is Dr. Crypton--wrote), but very seriously. You seem to know a lot about chess so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks,Joe
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 02:10:43 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: