AssemblyBoard
April 19, 2024, 08:33:09 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Pets  (Read 40082 times)
lenore
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2004, 03:06:54 pm »

My mom occasionally raises some Toy Fox Terriers.  When she first got hers, she quit having trouble with mice.  These dogs are unusually fast and are able to catch them.  They have a nice personality and are anxious to please.  Sometimes it seems as if they have a sense of humor, as if they are natural born comedians.

A number of the puppies shown in this web site are from my mom's dog:

http://www.toyfoxterrier.com/

In fact, the middle picture on the puppies page shows my mom's dog nursing puppies.

I dont know when you posted this, I dont even know if this is page one.Huh?
Did you know that fox terriers was breed to catch mice and rats. That was their purpose. So your parents dogs were just doing their job they was breed into them.
lenore
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2004, 03:08:29 pm »

May 28: 6:17 am.

DIDN'T YOU HEAR THAT:

DOGS ARE COOL
AND CATS RULE.

Just the different in temperment.
lenore
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2004, 08:44:22 pm »

MAY 29: 11:50 AM:
FOUND THIS JOKE ON THIS WEB SITE:
www3.sympatico.ca/evideoweb
Used by Permission.

Check out the Friends section.

If you can start the day without caffeine,

If you can get going without pep pills,

If you can always be cheerful, ignoring aches and pains,

If you can resist complaining and boring people with your troubles,

If you can eat the same food everyday and be grateful for it,

If you can understand when your loved ones are too busy to give you time,

If you can overlook it when those you love take it out on you,

when through no fault of yours, something goes wrong.

If you can take criticism and blame without resentment.

If you can ignore a friend's limited education and never correct him,

If you can resist treating a rich friend better than a poor friend,

If you can face the world without lies and deceit,

If you can conquer tension without medical help,

If you can relax without liquor,

If you can sleep without the aid of drugs,

If you can say honestly that deep in your heart you have no prejudice

against creed, color, religion or politics,

Then my friend...

you are almost as good as your dog
(ö)

I hope you enjoy this little story.

HAVE A GIDDAY TODAY;
TALK TO YOU LATER:

L.O.L. LENORE

p.s.: Al do you agree about the dog???

lenore
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2004, 08:36:09 am »

:)JUNE 13TH  11:32 PM

HIGHJINKS OF PERCY THE CAT:

Percy is a 3 year old grey, brownish tabby cat. with a red collar. and friendly cuddly type of a cat. His favour playmate is Missy the 9 year old border collie. Who Percy loves to torment, especially grabbing Missy by the ankles of her back leg, bitting until he gets a reaction out of Missy.

Percy loves to walk across the keyboard, and created havoc with the keys, and smoothness of the typing.
He even lies on top of the monitor.

One day Percy walked across the desk and hit the telephone speaker phone button and a few keys, all you heard was dialing of the number the keys .

He love drinking out of the dripping faucet in the bathroom sink.

To go outside, if he could escape he would, but he has learned now to wait until he is picked up.
He get tied on a blue leash, tied to the picnic table on the drive way.
There are two dogs next door, one is a pure white huskie mix, name Scooter, who wants to play with Percy, but  Scooter is a little bit for Percy. There is another little brown terrier mix name Rex. Who is afraid of Percy, even though Percy has no claws to scratch.

It is funny to see Missy a 90 lb medium build dog and a 10 lb tabby cat running down the stairs to gether, or this little cat attacking Missy face to face.

Percy loves to curl up against a warm body to have his naps.

Percy will meow for food, if his food dish is empty.
He will even go and sample Missy's food. Percy will try anything once to eat. If he sees Missy eating it , He at least has to have a lick of it.
Percy is a supporter of Missy too. The week that Missy leg was very painful with arthritis, Percy would lie next to Missy, and clean out Missy ears, and that is a big job.
Because Missy doesnt like sharing her food with Percy, Percy was a big help getting Missy to take her medication for her pain.
Percy and Missy will team up, to catch the bugs that  come into the house, especially moths, or dune bugs.
Percy will do the jumping and knock down the bug, and Missy will do the nosing and squashing. Both will share in the snacking of the bug.
So you think with Missy and Percy in this house, this house would be bug free.
Both Percy and Missy , loves playing blanket game.
Where a hand goes under the blanket and the game begins , Percy it is a game of waiting, crouching and attack. Missy is a one , two , three, go and then attack. That hand under the blanket is an  target for teeth, paws and growls. Both love it so much.
Both Percy and Missy agree on something else. Baths are not to be tolerated.  When the Bath water is running , the bathroom is the last place to be.
When there is lunch meat, that needs animal assistance, they are both there to help out.

Percy and Missy both thank you for this time of communication with you.
Glad to get to know you better.

GIDDAY FROM THE OTTAWA VALLEY.
FROM MISSY THE BORDER COLLIE MIX DOG
AND PERCY THE TABBY CAT
COURTESY OF THEIR MOM:  LENORE

lenore
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2004, 07:20:05 pm »

Smiley Cheesy Grin Wink: June 24, 10:20 am.

I was cruising through the posts and deciding which to jump in and participate .
When Percy my cat came up decided he wanted attention.

It was a 10 minute purr fest.
He cuddled his head under my chin, licking my neck, and just purred up a storm, while I caressed his head and stroked his furr , He loves his ears rubbed.

He had his attention, now he is going to a favourite spot in my closet to find a place to sleep.

Percy loves chocolate pudding, He only gets a couple of licks, because chocolate pudding doesnt like him too much .

Percy like to sleep at my feet at night, although in some of the cold nights , he will sit in the bathroom window which is open, and then he comes and wants to get under the covers, and get his ears warmed up.

You move anything under a blanket, it is a game of attack the object. Usually my hand, He grabs my hands with both front paws, rolls over on his side or back, and his little teeth tries to get a better grip. and his back paws are kicking at the bundle he just captured.

Percy can be very insistent when he has an empty food dish. Even if there is a about a few pieces of Whiskes left, he insist he needs a few more.

If you think that I spoil my furry babies, you are absolutely right. Percy is a family member and gets treated like a family member.  Cats are a twenty year committement.  Animals are such a joy, and they give so much unconditional love, that they need to be part of the family . Even when cats are solitary and independent, they can be such cuddlers too.
Percy say Meow"hello" and I say have a GIDDAY.

LENORE
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2004, 01:27:16 am »

This one-page thread has been lingering on the BB for almost a year.  In my typical unbiased, fence-sitting, peace-keeping manner, I have composed the following poem, with the goal of maintaining harmony among Christian pet-owners:

Cats are cool,

But dogs rule!

But, seriously, a wise brother once told me that if the best dog in the world were to bite the worst man in the world, the dog would have to suffer the consequences, because only man, of all God's creatures, was created in His image & likeness.  Mankind may corrupt itself in the extreme, but we still bear the only design meant to inherit the Kingdom of God.  Food for thought...

al

I think this is interesting.
When we speak of someone being an "animal", we mean it as a put down, but man has a capacity for evil that isn't duplicated in animals.

The Bible speaks of animals existing during the millennial kingdom, but not in the new creation after that. I'm guessing that it's because we won't have a need for them after that? or what?

What are your thoughts on that, Al?
lenore
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2004, 01:38:48 am »

Smiley: July 23: at 4:42 pm:

If the new creation, is the new GARDEN OF EDEN, why wouldnt there be animals, there was animals in the original Garden of Eden.

Why wouldnt God grace his new creation with the beauty of animals?

After all there are passages in the old testament, where it does say the lamb will lie down with the lion, and a child can put its hand in a cobra den.

In heaven all of creation will be worshipping the Lamb upon the Throne,
I take that ALL OF CREATION not just MAN.
It does specify, creatures of earth, creatures of air, and creatures of the sea.

SO WHY WOULDNT THERE BE ANIMALS IN GODS NEW CREATED EARTH?

I believe animals give God pleasure too.
He wouldnt of made so many kinds, so many colours, so many beautiful details.  God is a God who preserves the details, the little details of the Bible like ancestorial lines,
Why wouldnt God preserves the animals.

I would like to believe that all the animals that MAN HAVE EXTINCT, that God is preserving those species for the new earth.

Who knows maybe he is even preserving them for planets of the universe.
After all God made so many planets, and only earth has people.
WHEN FINAL SEGMENT OF BIBLE IS FINISHED IN TO A NEW HEAVEN AND A NEW EARTH.

MAYBE WE WILL BE LIVING ON ONE OF THOSE PLANETS IN THE NEW HEAVEN.

The last sentence was just a thought.

No animals give pleasure, and give us unconditional love, especially domestic pet, and even pet in the zoo that have been hand raised.
NO I TOTALLY BELIEVE GOD'S CREATURES OF THE ANIMAL KINGDOM WILL BE PRESERVED FOR THE NEW EARTH AS WELL.

Lenore
tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2005, 06:58:03 am »

August 30th

Hi All:

The Province of Ontario is passing a law, that is banning all breeds of Pit Bulls.
The ones who now own them can keep them, but they must be spayed or neutered, wear a muzzle when out in public, and they cannot breed, or replace them.

DO YOU BELIEVE IT IS THE DOG FAULT OR THE OWNER'S FAULT?

There are arguments on both sides of the story, especially the onces who have been attacked by a pit bulls, because of the viciousness of the bites, and the determination once a pit bull decides to latch on , because of those powerful jaws of their's.

My own experience with PitBulls have been well behaved, well trained, well socialized, and complete babies. My experience has been when I worked at a Animal Hospital, dealing with dogs on a daily basis. I perferred the bigger dogs to the ankle biters.

As for pit bulls and other bigger breeds , I am not afraid of them, but I do respect them. Even my own dog a very friendly border collie lab shepherd mix, who is badly spoiled, yet is over 10 years old. You die of drowning with her big tongue sloppering you up, yet if someone decides to be threatening, I would not be able to say that I would be able to trust her behaviour.

So the question again is:

IS IT THE BREED OF THE DOG OR JUST BAD DOG OWNERS.

Lenore
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2005, 07:42:48 am »

August 30th

Hi All:

The Province of Ontario is passing a law, that is banning all breeds of Pit Bulls.

PRAISE THE LORD!!
The ones who now own them can keep them, but they must be spayed or neutered, wear a muzzle when out in public, and they cannot breed, or replace them.
PRAISE THE LORD!!
DO YOU BELIEVE IT IS THE DOG FAULT OR THE OWNER'S FAULT?

Who cares? They've killed enough people so that in my opinion, they shouldn't be on this side of the earth's crust.
tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2005, 09:22:41 pm »

PRAISE THE LORD!!PRAISE THE LORD!!
Who cares? They've killed enough people so that in my opinion, they shouldn't be on this side of the earth's crust.
=====================

The Stats in Canada, for related deaths due to dog attacks, only one death was attributed to PitBulls.  There have been 23 deaths related to dog attacks in Canada period, I agree too many, but isnt funny that only one Pit Bull out of 23 were at fault.

My favourite verse in the Bible is Revelations 5: 12 & 13.

Lenore
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 09:25:23 pm by tenderhearted » Logged
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2005, 08:03:25 am »

Well, Lenore, things are a little different in the grand U.S. of A.

According to this particular study, Pit Bulls are at the TOP of the list for deaths caused by dogs.

I, too, had a friendly run-in with a small neighborhood Bull who was loose and lost and friendly, but they belong in a cage with six sides, just like any other animal kept in the zoo, regardless of who they will be praising someday.

Whatever the reasons for the fatal dog attacks, Pit Bulls still top the list.

THE STATISTICS - FATAL DOG ATTACKS IN THE U.S. FROM 1965 - 2001 *

The study covers 431 documented human fatalities from a dog attack.

Location of Attack
25% of all fatal attacks were inflicted by chained dogs
25% resulted from dogs loose in their yard
23% occurred inside the home
17% resulted from attacks by dogs roaming off their property
10% involved leashed dogs or miscellaneous circumstances

Number of Dogs
68% of all fatal attacks were inflicted by a single dog
32% was the result of a multiple dog attack

Victim Profile
79% of all fatal attacks were on children under the age of 12
12% of the victims were the elderly, aged  65 - 94
9% of the victims were 13 - 64 years old

The age group with the highest number of fatalities were children under the age of 1 year old; accounting for 19% of  the deaths due to dog attack. Over 95% of these fatalities occurred when an infant was left unsupervised with a dog(s).

The age group with the second-highest number of fatalities were 2-year-olds;  accounting for 11% of the fatalities due to dog attack. Over 87% of these fatalities occurred when the 2-year-old child was left unsupervised with a dog(s) or the child wandered off to the location of the dog(s).

Boys aged 1 - 12 years old were 2.5 times more likely to be the victim of a fatal dog attack than girls of the same age.

Breeds Involved
Pit Bull and Pit-bull-type dogs (21%), Mixed breed dogs (16%),
Rottweilers (13%), German Shepherd Dogs (9%), Wolf Dogs (5%),
Siberian Huskies (5%), Malamutes (4%), Great Danes (3%),
St. Bernards (3%), Chow Chows (3%), Doberman Pinschers (3%),
other breeds & non-specified breeds (15%).

Reproductive Status of Dogs
Overwhelmingly, the dogs involved in fatal dog attacks were unaltered males.
From 2000-2001 there were 41 fatal dog attacks. Of these, 28 were attacks by a single dog and 13 fatalities were caused by multiple dogs.

Of the 28 single dogs responsible for a fatal attack between 2000-2001;
26 were males and 2 were females.  Of the 26 males, 21 were found to be intact (the reproductive status of the remaining 5 males dogs could not be determined).

States with the Most Fatalities -  1965-2001
California, 47; Texas, 32; Alaska, 26; Florida, 22; New York, 19; Michigan, 18; Illinois, 18; North Carolina, 17; Georgia, 16.

While at times informative, statistics on fatal dog attacks can also be misleading. For example, a number of cases were a Pit Bull, Rottweiler or GSD were counted as causing a human fatality were in reality the direct result of gross human negligence or criminal intent (i.e. discarding a newborn in the yard where the dogs were kept, or cases of extremely emaciated animals, or cases were the dog was ordered or encouraged to attack the victim).

This study was conducted not to determine which breeds of dogs caused fatalities, but rather to examine the circumstances and events that precipitated an attack.  Knowing how many Pit Bulls or Rottweilers caused a human fatality has little applicable value, only when examining each case individually can we hope to gain insight into the HUMAN and CANINE behaviors that contributed to these tragic events.

The preceding information and statistics are excerpts from the book:

* "FATAL DOG ATTACKS: The Stories Behind the Statistics", by Karen Delise

« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 09:22:38 am by moonflower » Logged
tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2005, 01:55:30 am »

Wow Moon, those stats are a powerful message.

I agree in the wrong hands , dogs can be a dangerous weapon.

Those stats doesnt even touch on the afflicted damage due to injuries, and the medical cost to treat those injuries.

I agree most of the victims are children, because they are weaker vunerable target.

Most of the dogs, like Pit Bull whatever type, and the Rotweiller is trained for guard dogs.

But in the wrong type of human hands, they are trained, abused, starved, to be fighting dogs, for dog fight shows.

I agree any dog can afflict injury and fatalities, including smaller breeds.
But most times it is not the fault of the dog, but because under the hands of irresponsible two legged animal, they have become vicious, and have been breed for viciousness, because it is too late to retrain the animal, usually the solution is euthanaza, but I do believe owners of these living weapons should be held accountable as well, for the injuries and fatalities that was caused by the animals under their care, because of their irresponsibility.

Yes dogs who are trained to be vicious should be kept under lock and key. But I dont believe that all pit bulls should be labelled vicious and dangerous.
Because a well breed, well trained, well cared for, well socialized, well loved and respected. These dogs can be a very gentle member of the family.

A dog is only as good as you raised them up to be.
It is all in the parenting.

Lenore

Recovering Saint

Email
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2005, 03:43:26 pm »

Lenore

There are so many breeds that are better suited as pets. Yes the dog is not doing anything morally wrong in its being but it still kills and seriously injures others in spite of itself. It is not a pet and should not be bred in any area as pets for civilians. If you want to see them keep them in a zoo. I treat dangerous breeds like a gun. Most people don't need one and those who get them often don't use them responsibly. Remove the gun and people don't get hurt. Remove that breed same result.

Sorry we differ on this. I have been attacked by dogs and know what it is like and feel all this talk of owners responsible is like closing the door after the horse is out. The owner is not there and the dog will not stop.

Hugh
tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2005, 06:40:27 am »

Lenore

There are so many breeds that are better suited as pets. Yes the dog is not doing anything morally wrong in its being but it still kills and seriously injures others in spite of itself. It is not a pet and should not be bred in any area as pets for civilians. If you want to see them keep them in a zoo. I treat dangerous breeds like a gun. Most people don't need one and those who get them often don't use them responsibly. Remove the gun and people don't get hurt. Remove that breed same result.

Sorry we differ on this. I have been attacked by dogs and know what it is like and feel all this talk of owners responsible is like closing the door after the horse is out. The owner is not there and the dog will not stop.

Hugh

Yes Hugh , we differ, but it is understandable, because you were a victim of a dog attack.
I have been bitten when I work at the Animal Hospital, it was the bigger breeds that bit me.
It was the smaller breeds which I dub the ankle bitters.
But there is also a difference here, I am not afraid of dogs, I respect them, the potential power, especially in the jaws area. Certain breeds are not to be trusts, and because of that respect has to be given to that. I still say the human factor is at play here. As humans are stewards of the animal kingom, since humans have domesticated these animals to be our companions and humans train and used these animals for there purposes, whether it is a job like a border collie with sheep, or a German Shepherd for a Guide Dog for the Blind, or a Hunting Dog for hunting, or just to be loving companion for company.  ALso the Pit Bull or Rotweiller for Guard Dogs. It is humans that create puppy mills, that for the sole purpose is to over breed, and interbreed to be sold at pet store's , while the those dogs live in unclean, underfed, in cages too small to  move around, with out vaccinations to keep disease away.
This is the breeding ground for unstable dog, thus creating the dangerous unpredicatable dog.
So I agree that the dog , has a historical, genetically, background, but it is the humans that have created the situation that producted a unstable type of dog, through abusivness toward the animal in their care. Dog are packed animals like the their cousin the wolf, Because humans have domesticed the dog, the human owners are their pack.
In my own experience as a dog parent, I am the Alpha leader of my home. Because Missy is a mix breed of border collie, lab, shepherd mix, Missy is quite an intelligent dog. Because of my experience working at an animal hospital, I was shown how to train her, and to maintain that Alpha role in the pack. Missy is now 10 years old, I am coming up with the decision of put her down, prior to my move into the apartment.  In my knowledge experience , Socialization is the biggest key for a well trained dog. I am the type I cannot go for a walk with out saying hello to the dogs that is being walked by the owner, I usually will say hello to the dog , bend down to pet the dog, before I say hello to the owner. Even if the dog is a lone I will talk to the dog, while still walking.
One day long ago, Sara and I were walking down John Street there was one of those ankle biter small breed dog, came running down a drive way, barker it head off, and as previous experience would come around the ankle. This time as it approached, I barked back. Well that dog went yelping back to its yard.  Sara laughed all the way down the street.
Dog can sense fear.
Beside most dogs can recognize a dog lover given a chance.
Yes we will differ Hugh, but I believe experience is the reason for that difference.

Enclose is some stats for Canada, on Dog that Attack.............

Thanks for the conversation:
Lenore

NATIONAL CANINE RESEARCH FOUNDATION

Fatal Dog Attacks -  CANADA

A spate of recent attacks by Pit Bulls and Rottweilers have unleashed a storm of negative publiclity and sentiment towards these two breeds in a number of areas in Canada.

In an attempt to gain a better perspective of the problem with canine aggresson towards humans and to disprove the current perception that severe and fatal attacks is a phenomena exclusive to Pit Bulls and Rottweilers, the following information is presented.

Fatal Dog Attacks -  Canada:   1983 - 2003

1983  (2)  Farm Dogs          Roaming dogs kill child          (Edmonton)
1987  (1)  German Shep X      Chained dog attacked child       (Vernon)         
1988  (1)  German Shep        Unsupervised child               (Quebec)
1990  (1)  Chow Chow          Attack on newborn                (Ontario)
1993  (1)  Sled dogs          Chained dogs kill child          (N.W.T.)
1993  (5)  Sled dogs          Attacked by loose dogs           (Alberta)
1994  (1)  Maremma Sheepdog   Family dog killed child          (Ontario)
1995  (2)  Am Staffs          Drunken man provoked dogs        (Ontario)
1995  (2)  German Sheps       Killed by uncle's dogs           (Saskatchewan)
1996  (?)  Strays             Child killed by stray dogs       (Manitoba)
1997  (1)  Sled dog           Chained dog w/pups               (Saskatchewan)
1998  (?)  Sled dogs          Pack chained on sea ice          (Iqaluit)
1998  (1)  Bullmastiff        Playing w/neighbor's dog         (Ontario)
1998  (Cool  Lab/Huskies Xs     Mother & son killed by pack      (Newfoundland)
1998  (6)  Strays             Boy killed by strays             (Manitoba)
1999  (1)  Husky X            Neighbor's dog                   (British Columbia)
1999  (1)  Husky              One of 24 chained dogs           (Quebec)
1999  (1)  Husky X            Grandfather's dog                (N.W.T.)
1999  (?)  Strays             Girl killed by starving dogs     (Alberta)
2002  (2)  Lab X & Rott       Attacked in field                (Ontario)
2003  (3)  Rottweilers        Boy wandered into yard           (New Brunswick)
2003  (4)  German Shep Xs     Grandmother's dogs               (Manitoba)

It should be noted that there is no national recording system for the documentation of fatal dog bites in Canada.  The NCRF, while researching and documenting fatalities in the US also recorded any and all fatalties that occurred in Canada that were discovered.

Since the focus of NCRF's study was primarily those attacks that occurred in the United States, there is the distinct possibly that some additional Canadian dog-bite fatalities may be missing from this list. Nonetheless, this list appears to be the only recording of fatalities available for Canada, and may be considered a fair representation of the types of fatal dog attacks that have occurred in Canada over the last 2 decades.

moonflower2

Email
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2005, 07:01:36 pm »

Yes Hugh , we differ, but it is understandable, because you were a victim of a dog attack.
I have been bitten when I work at the Animal Hospital, it was the bigger breeds that bit me.

Yes we will differ Hugh, but I believe experience is the reason for that difference.

Lenore

I've never been bit by a dog, Lenore, but statistics, like the ones I posted already, don't lie.

Pit Bulls' killer instinct is not a result of their being mistreated. Mistreatment is not a genetically reproduced event.

People live with Bobcats, and other wild cats, too. Those animals will always be "wild" and cannot be allowed to live as a "tame" cat. They require a certain behavior of the owners, and owners of them cannot demand the same kind of behavior of non-owners.

In other words: If you own an animal with killer instincts, you cannot demand that others live with the animal. It has to be in a controlled environment - LIKE A CAGE.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 09:38:08 pm by moonflower » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: