AssemblyBoard
April 24, 2024, 08:17:12 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Women and the Lord Jesus  (Read 15681 times)
4Him

Email
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2003, 11:00:58 am »

I agree with you, Tim and Verne, about God as Mother/Father...El Shaddai.
What do you think about the role of women in the church vs. the role of women in the former assemblies? I am curious.
Verne, thanks for the book suggestion.
Pat
p.s. Tim, how do you get that small print at the bottom of your posts? I want to do that to you!  Cool
Assembly teachings on women in the assembly were mostly sound but the practice was rotten.
The areas where I think the teachings re. women were correct:
- allowed to pray and request hymns in worship & prayer meetings.
- not to teach/preach from the pulpit in the regular church meetings.
- not allowed to be elders.
- headcoverings???

...incorrect:
- headcoverings???
- subordinate to all brothers
- no deaconnesses*

*I believe the entire assembly doctrine and practice regarding elders & leading brothers was heretical, or at best, way off base.  Elders are not appointed/selected outside of the local assembly.  All assembly elders & "leading brothers" were selected or ratified by GG or men directly answerable to him.  Also, the Word speaks of no one with general authority in the local church except elders.  Deacons and deaconnesses had responsibility/authority over specific areas of their service (Acts 6 - daily serving of food) but not over the whole church. Another word for deacon is "servant".  "Leading" brother?  Not a scriptural position in the local church.

PS Pat, to learn about small print, you'll have to read my email to you. Roll Eyes
Heide

Email
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2003, 08:37:30 pm »

I remember when I first came into fellowship and saw a need for being a woman of Christ. I asked around to see if there were any books that would teach me how... (I love to read!) I was encouraged by Judy G. to go thru the bible. I came up with this idea of going thru Proverbs 31 with a group of woman. We were a small group at first. The main question at that time was "who's going to teach it?" I didn't think anyone should teach it, just woman taking a verse at a time and sharing their thoughts and having a practical application. We would all meet for breakfast and share. It was a really wonderful time!

What has taken me years to realize is that if a Proverbs 31 woman ever did walk into the Assembly she would get booted out! Imagine a married woman, buying a field.....

Another thing I find interesting looking back is they we were not encouraged by the brethren to have a women's group....
lenore
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2004, 11:50:01 am »

MAY 19: 2:34 AM EST:

WOMEN IN THE LORD JESUS' LIFE:
REFERRING TO THE BIOGRAPHY OF THE LIFE OF JESUS
AS WRITTEN BY LUKE:
1. His mother Mary.
2. Luke 4:38-39: Peter's mother in law
3. Luke 7:11-16: Raising of the Widow's Son
 Verse: 13: When the Lord saw her. He had compassion on her and said to her. Do Not Weep.
vs: 15(b) And He presented him to his mother.
4. Luke 7:36-50 Anointing of Jesus' Feet.
CHECK THIS PASSAGE OUT THOROUGHLY
5. Luke 8:1-3  Women who ministered to Jesus' daily needs.
  vs: 3..........and many others who provided for Him from their substances (NKJV)
6. Luke 8:41-48
7. Luke: 8:49-56
8. Luke 10: 38-42
9. Luke 11:27 -28
10. Luke 13:11-13
11. Luke 21: 1-4
12. Luke 23: 49
13. Luke 23:55-56
14: Luke 24:1-12

Jesus had/has compassion for women.
There are other references.
Remember the culture at the time. Women were treated like property, no status, lower than the animals that men possessed.
Jesus is a champion for women.
Even Paul's letters are respectful towards women, with high praise for women who opened their homes for the spread of the gospel, and emphasis on the need for husbands to love their wives , like Jesus loves her.

We are all children of God.  So women are Jesus' sisters, wives, daughters, friends, , Jesus died for us women too. Jesus pours out his love on us women, wants the best for us women too.
The gospel's is full of Jesus mercy , compassion and demonstration of love towards women, even breaking cultural laws and taboos, where women were concerned back then.
Relationship between Jesus and women is a very positive one, where Jesus is concerned.
M2
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2004, 05:56:03 pm »

Lenore,

Jesus had compassion for the needy.  You bring up a very important aspect of the Lord having compassion on the women.  He did not subject himself to the laws of society and the scribes and the Pharisees, if those laws were contrary to God's will.

there's more:
Mary and Martha
The woman caught in adultery
The Samaritan woman at the well
The woman bent double
The woman who had a hemorrhage for twelve years
Mary Magdalene

Here is quote by Dorothy Sayers, a contemporary of C.S. Lewis, and a writer in her own right. Thoughts and comments welcome.

" Perhaps it is no wonder that the women were first at the Cradle and last at the Cross. They had never known a man like this Man--there had never been such another.  A prophet and a teacher who never nagged at them, who never flattered or coaxed or patronized; who never made arch jokes about them, never treated them either as 'The women, God help us!' or 'The ladies, God bless them!'; who took their questions and arguments seriously, who never mapped out their sphere for them, never urged them to be feminine or jeered at them for being female; who had no ax to grind and no uneasy male dignity to defend; who took them as he found them and was completely unselfconscious.

"There is no act, no sermon, no parable in the whole Gospel that borrows its pungency from female perversity; nobody could possibly guess from the words of Jesus that there was anything 'funny' about woman's nature.

"But we might easily deduce it from His contemporaries, and from His prophets before Him, and from His Church to this day."

What do YOU think?

Marcia
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 07:55:21 am by Marcia » Logged
lenore
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2004, 08:35:16 am »

Lenore,

Jesus had compassion for the needy.  You bring up a very important aspect of the Lord having compassion on the women.  He did not subject himself to the laws of society and the scribes and the Pharisees, if those laws were contrary to God's will.

there's more:
Mary and Martha
The woman caught in adultery
The Samaritan woman at the well
The woman bent double
The woman who had a hemorrhage for twelve years
Mary Magdalene

Here is quote by Dorothy Sayers, a contemporary of C.S. Lewis, and a writer in her own right. Thoughts and comments welcome.

" Perhaps it is no wonder that the women were first at the Cradle and last at the Cross. They had never known a man like this Man--there had never been such another.  A prophet and a teacher who never nagged at them, who never flattered or coaxed or patronized; who never made arch jokes about them, never treated them either as 'The women, God help us!' or 'The ladies, God bless them!'; who took their questions and arguments seriously, who never mapped out their sphere for them, never urged them to be feminine or jeered at them for being female; who had no ax to grind and no uneasy male dignity to defend; who took them as he found them and was completely unselfconscious.

"There is no act, no sermon, no parable in the whole Gospel that borrows its pungency from female perversity; nobody could possibly guess from the words of Jesus that there was anything 'funny' about woman's nature.

"But we might easily deduce it from His contemporaries, and from His prophets before Him, and from His Church to this day."

What do YOU think?

Marcia

Marcia:  When you read Luke 7 :36 to 50:
The woman who was anointing Jesus feet with her tears, wiping them with her hair, oiling them with expensive perfume, kissing his feet.

In the culture back then. It was custom when a traveler has entered you house has a guest, to wash his feet, because just having sandals, the feet would be dusting and hot.
It was also a custom to greet your guest with a kiss,
It was also anointed an important guest like a teacher, with oil.

The difference: A woman in a life of sin, which would of gotten her stone,  where society would not of touch her with a ten foot pole, where she was shunned.
because of her choices of livelyhood.

This woman of lower status, a society's outcast, dared to enter a Pharisee home, touch a man, and this man
not object.
Pharisee  due to the nature of the times, properly questions Jesus character, due to the character of the woman, and what Jesus was allowing to continue happening.
The woman was a sinner. Yet Jesus has compassion on sinners.
Jesus told a parable to the Pharisee, then got the pharisee the question who was forgiven much.
THen Jesus turn the tables on the Pharisee.
See this woman, vs: 44: this woman wash my feet with her tears and dried them with her hair.
You Simon, my host failed to provide.
This woman has not ceased kissing my feet, yet Simon , you  did not provide me a kiss of friendship upon entering the house.
This woman anointed my feet, with expense oil,
You Simon did not even anionted my head.

Jesus said that woman repentant actions with her tears, hair, kissing and her oil.
was in submissive to Jesus, Jesus recognized this, and forgave the woman. In vs:50 Go in peace, Your faith has saved you.
The woman in her humble state of repentant, paid more homage to Jesus , than an important official of Jerusalem, who should of known the customary greetings you give a guest, and failed.
You are right. This is just one example of Jesus compassion on woman, and Jesus was not afraid to show that compassion for them.
Woman are important to Jesus.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: