AssemblyBoard
April 27, 2024, 07:11:08 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Women and the Lord Jesus  (Read 15713 times)
psalm51

Email
« on: March 02, 2003, 08:29:19 pm »

Here is quote by Dorothy Sayers, a contemporary of C.S. Lewis, and a writer in her own right. Thoughts and comments welcome.

" Perhaps it is no wonder that the women were first at the Cradle and last at the Cross. They had never known a man like this Man--there had never been such another.  A prophet and a teacher who never nagged at them, who never flattered or coaxed or patronized; who never made arch jokes about them, never treated them either as 'The women, God help us!' or 'The ladies, God bless them!'; who took their questions and arguments seriously, who never mapped out their sphere for them, never urged them to be feminine or jeered at them for being female; who had no ax to grind and no uneasy male dignity to defend; who took them as he found them and was completely unselfconscious.

"There is no act, no sermon, no parable in the whole Gospel that borrows its pungency from female perversity; nobody could possibly guess from the words of Jesus that there was anything 'funny' about woman's nature.

"But we might easily deduce it from His contemporaries, and from His prophets before Him, and from His Church to this day."

What do YOU think?
4Him

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2003, 08:20:07 am »

Oh come on Pat, you women just think you're as good as better than us.  Up to now I had been really encouraged with your posts.  Angry  Probably just hormones!

Wink   Grin   Wink   Grin   Wink   Grin   Wink   Grin   Wink            Just kidding.
psalm51

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2003, 09:14:43 am »

Timothy,
We are not amused.  

Wink

Patricia
4Him

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2003, 10:28:38 am »

Timothy,
We are not amused.
 Wink
Patricia
I'm just wondering who just gave me that 2nd "ding".  You wouldn't know his/her initials, would you?  Hmmmmm?  Wink

BTW, I was very serial about what I posted earlier.   Grin
psalm51

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2003, 04:47:32 pm »

Timothy,
We are not amused.
 Wink
Patricia
I'm just wondering who just gave me that 2nd "ding".  You wouldn't know his/her initials, would you?  Hmmmmm?  Wink

BTW, I was very serial about what I posted earlier.   Grin

Tim,
Are you talking about the attitude pluses and minuses? I don't have that kind of power. Actually, I am wondering where the numbers come from and who decides? Do you know?
Pat
wolverine

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2003, 08:19:13 pm »

Pat,
You can give a user attitude points by clicking "good" or "bad" under the user's name...for example, it has now become my habit every time I log on to give you a negative attitude point.  Any questions?  Wink

YouWish!
psalm51

Email
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2003, 05:29:13 am »

Pat,
You can give a user attitude points by clicking "good" or "bad" under the user's name...for example, it has now become my habit every time I log on to give you a negative attitude point.  Any questions?  Wink

YouWish!
Dear YouWish,
Thank you. When I log on guess who will be getting a negative attitude point?  Grin  Not your mother, not your brother, not your sister, not your dog!  It's shocking how you young folk disrespect your elders....uh, oh, I"ll stop being , uh, negative.
MomofPaulRobinsonFan
Arlene

Email
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2003, 09:02:39 am »

"A Mothers Heart"  by Ellyn Sanna

"Being a beautiful woman, a fufilled woman, are not goals we can chase and grab.  Instead, our beauty and fulfillment are side effects that spring from our commitment to Christ.  As we live His abundant life, interested in His world and delighting ourselves in all the tiny blessings He sends our way, we will find that we are beautiful and fulfiffed simply because we are God's.  Growing old in God's presence will only bring still more beauty and fufillment."

Pat;
If I could give attitude points I'd give you a +  Cool
psalm51

Email
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2003, 11:11:04 pm »

Hi Verne,
Actually, I was  being a little tongue-in-cheek with Mr. Robsinsonfanofallposters. Cheesy  I didn't really feel he was being disrespectful...just having some fun.

However, I do agree that children should respect their elders, but wouldn't it be nice if the elders would actually behave in such way that  they would earn the respect of those younger than they?  Smiley  George is certainly older than most of us. Should we respect him because of his age? Hmmm..... I think we can all answer that one!
You, 40+?! - I won't even go there  Cool  
Any thoughts on women and the church?
Pat
psalm51

Email
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2003, 08:19:02 am »

"A Mothers Heart"  by Ellyn Sanna

"Being a beautiful woman, a fufilled woman, are not goals we can chase and grab.  Instead, our beauty and fulfillment are side effects that spring from our commitment to Christ.  As we live His abundant life, interested in His world and delighting ourselves in all the tiny blessings He sends our way, we will find that we are beautiful and fulfiffed simply because we are God's.  Growing old in God's presence will only bring still more beauty and fufillment."

Pat;
If I could give attitude points I'd give you a +  Cool

Arlene,
Pluses for you! Thanks.
Pat
Sebastian Andrew

Email
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2003, 08:45:54 am »

Greetings Pat M:

I liked your DS quote. Any certain titles that you've read and wd. recommend?

I have a copy of DS' Creed or Chaos that I think is very good.
4Him

Email
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2003, 07:03:00 am »

On the current topic, one thought.
Did you know one of the names of God describes Him as full-breasted? (El Shaddai)
I think the recognition by both sexes in the Church of the dual representation of His image would go a long way toward a better appreciation of our respective roles.

Excellent thought Verne!  I've heard that name, El Shaddai, also rendered as "Mother-Father God".  In the Godhead we don't see a sexual division.  As "He" encompasses all, and all, male and female, come from Him, it is certainly not unreasonable to consider God as not male nor female but encompassing both in one.

Gen 1:27  So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
Gen 5:2  Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.

Consider, Luke 13:34  "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, that killeth the prophets, and stoneth them that are sent unto her! how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her own brood under her wings, and ye would not!"  His love for us is like a mother's love for her children.  He, of course, is the very source of that kind of love.

Pat,
There you go.  But don't think this means I'm going soft!  Wink Grin

psalm51

Email
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2003, 08:21:09 am »

I agree with you, Tim and Verne, about God as Mother/Father...El Shaddai.
What do you think about the role of women in the church vs. the role of women in the former assemblies? I am curious.
Verne, thanks for the book suggestion.
Pat

p.s. Tim, how do you get that small print at the bottom of your posts? I want to do that to you!  Cool
psalm51

Email
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2003, 08:29:25 am »

Greetings Pat M:

I liked your DS quote. Any certain titles that you've read and wd. recommend?

I have a copy of DS' Creed or Chaos that I think is very good.
Sebastian,
Actually, I have read a biography about Dorothy Sayers, but I can't find the title right now. I became a fan of her Peter Wimsey mysteries years ago.  Some notable titles are: Gaudy Night; Clouds of Witness. Her writing is more cerebral than say, Agatha Christie. But if you're not an English murder mystery fan you'd probably hate them.  Roll Eyes
Another fantastic British author, who happened to also be a Christian, is Edith Pargeter.  She wrote an incredible trilogy about World War II and also did some medieval historical fiction. Her claim to fame would probably be her Brother Cadfael mysteries, which PBS made into TV specials. She writes those under the pseudonym, Ellis Peters.
I'll stop being a librarian now.  Grin
Andrea Denner

Email
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2003, 10:34:20 am »

Verne,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that deacons/deaconesses were more recognized servants rather than someone in leadership.

Andrea Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: