AssemblyBoard
April 20, 2024, 08:46:21 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  
Author Topic: ASSEMBLY HISTORY and why it is important.  (Read 72997 times)
M2
« Reply #120 on: November 22, 2003, 07:40:01 am »

Someone brought up an interesting point today: Why do we label certain bahaviour characteristics in Geftakys assemblyites(ex and present) as GG-isms or Geftakyism. Are they not just human failings? Other gatherings suffer from similar problems after all.

Marcia
editor
« Reply #121 on: November 22, 2003, 08:16:29 am »

Someone brought up an interesting point today: Why do we label certain bahaviour characteristics in Geftakys assemblyites(ex and present) as GG-isms or Geftakyism. Are they not just human failings? Other gatherings suffer from similar problems after all.

Marcia

Yes, you are correct.  Plenty of other groups have the same kind of problems.  These other groups are cults, and as cults they are strongly influenced by the cult leader/guru.  So, when the cult leader teaches his followers to begin a session of coercive persuasion with the words,  "Brother!  The Lord has so put you on my heart!  How is the Lord Speaking to you?",  it is no surprise that the people in the cult ALL talk like this.  This would be a GG'ism.

In a Sikh cult called 3HO, they didn't use bible talk, they said, "Keep Up Ji,"  which was kind of like saying,  "Praise God, The Lord is still on the throne!  How's your morning times?"  In this case, it is not a GG'ism, but a Yogi Bhajan'ism.  Rachel wrote about it in her story.  

So, in one sense we weren't at all unique, but in another sense we were, because although the effects are the same, GG's peculiararities(SP?) rubbed off on us, and not David Koresh's.

In the arena of Evangelical Christianity,  there are very, very few groups, relatively speaking who had the problems we had.  Only a small fringe element is like the Assembly.  Our elitist mentality was correct in a way... Embarrassed

Brent
M2
« Reply #122 on: November 22, 2003, 08:43:42 am »

Marcia

Yes, you are correct.  Plenty of other groups have the same kind of problems.  These other groups are cults, and as cults they are strongly influenced by the cult leader/guru.  So, when the cult leader teaches his followers to begin a session of coercive persuasion with the words,  "Brother!  The Lord has so put you on my heart!  How is the Lord Speaking to you?",  it is no surprise that the people in the cult ALL talk like this.  This would be a GG'ism.

In a Sikh cult called 3HO, they didn't use bible talk, they said, "Keep Up Ji,"  which was kind of like saying,  "Praise God, The Lord is still on the throne!  How's your morning times?"  In this case, it is not a GG'ism, but a Yogi Bhajan'ism.  Rachel wrote about it in her story.  

So, in one sense we weren't at all unique, but in another sense we were, because although the effects are the same, GG's peculiararities(SP?) rubbed off on us, and not David Koresh's.

In the arena of Evangelical Christianity,  there are very, very few groups, relatively speaking who had the problems we had.  Only a small fringe element is like the Assembly.  Our elitist mentality was correct in a way... Embarrassed

Brent

Good explanation about the GG-ism part. Do you think that some of these are just human failings? and if not then why not?

Marcia
editor
« Reply #123 on: November 22, 2003, 09:03:11 am »

Good explanation about the GG-ism part. Do you think that some of these are just human failings? and if not then why not?

Marcia

Yes, and that's the point.  They are human failings, and as such should be corrected, not excuse.  Petty theft is not illegal if a dog does it.  Our dog ran off with the neighbor's jacket the other day.  He hung it over the fence and the dog grabbed it and played chase with the neighbor.  It was funny.

However, when a person does it, like at school, it can be cruel, or it can be theft.

Humans are the ones who sin and fail.  Nevertheless, Let all those who are called by His name depart from iniquity.

Human failings are not excusable.  In fact, humans are going to burn for eternity because of their failings.

Brent
retread

Email
« Reply #124 on: November 23, 2003, 01:13:26 pm »

The lesson I learned then was to ignore and reject anonymous posters who make ugly personal attacks.

Okay Brent, you have a funny nose! Grin

Aw Brent, I was only trying to trick you into not ignoring me, and here you go and keep your word and ignore me.  Shame on you. Smiley  Okay, shame on me. Embarrassed  I'll try and behave myself in the future. (maybe Undecided)
M2
« Reply #125 on: November 27, 2003, 08:15:10 pm »

Most everyone that was involved in a Geftakys assembly has been wounded from their assembly experience. Those who were involved for as little as three years have not come out of their experience unscathed. Some assembly participants only went to the Sunday morning meetings, or Sunday and some Bible Study meetings and some fellowships. But each one that attended on a fairly consistent basis has discovered that assembly attitudes have rubbed off on them. AKs were not involved in 'assembly politics', and some of them do not realize the effects of Geftakysism on the assembly.

There are some(AKs and non-AKs) that remain 'assembly sympathetic' figuring that they have never been affected or that they are now unaffected because of some behaviour modification tactic. This is akin to the carload of people travelling along a road towards destination A. At some point one of the car occupants realizes that they are no longer heading on the correct road because they missed a turn somewhere along the way. The stereotypical driver syndrome kicks in and the driver refuses to admit that they are off course, and will not humble himself to ask for help. Most of us know the rest of the story. For them to get back on track, the driver will have to experience pain to humble himself and admit that he was off course. Going back on course will require his present course of action to be disrupted. Those are -ve feelings and experiences but is this good or is this bad? Is it the fault of the person who pointed out the fact that they were off course?

Selah!

Lord bless to all,
Marcia
« Last Edit: November 28, 2003, 09:09:42 am by Marcia » Logged
Oscar

Email
« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2004, 02:41:41 am »

Most everyone that was involved in a Geftakys assembly has been wounded from their assembly experience. Those who were involved for as little as three years have not come out of their experience unscathed. Some assembly participants only went to the Sunday morning meetings, or Sunday and some Bible Study meetings and some fellowships. But each one that attended on a fairly consistent basis has discovered that assembly attitudes have rubbed off on them. AKs were not involved in 'assembly politics', and some of them do not realize the effects of Geftakysism on the assembly.

There are some(AKs and non-AKs) that remain 'assembly sympathetic' figuring that they have never been affected or that they are now unaffected because of some behaviour modification tactic. This is akin to the carload of people travelling along a road towards destination A. At some point one of the car occupants realizes that they are no longer heading on the correct road because they missed a turn somewhere along the way. The stereotypical driver syndrome kicks in and the driver refuses to admit that they are off course, and will not humble himself to ask for help. Most of us know the rest of the story. For them to get back on track, the driver will have to experience pain to humble himself and admit that he was off course. Going back on course will require his present course of action to be disrupted. Those are -ve feelings and experiences but is this good or is this bad? Is it the fault of the person who pointed out the fact that they were off course?

Selah!

Lord bless to all,
Marcia

Marcia,

Reading about people who have been involved in the assembly, whether by choice or by birth, and deny that they are influenced by it remind me of my teaching years.

I would walk up to some kid, from whom the smell of candy or corn nuts or whatever is rising, and say, "are you chewing/eating X?"

The  kid would frequently say, "no".  I would always say, "show me your tongue".  The evidence was always there...especially if it was candy.

They had to write bocoup (sp?) standards.

God bless,

Thomas Maddux
BeckyW

Email
« Reply #127 on: March 12, 2004, 09:33:34 pm »

Another reason Assembly history documented is important-
We learned last winter from Brinda McCumber's story what really happened in Tuscola.  If not for her writing that, we would have had the choice of continuing to believe one of the two stories we were told when we asked, What do you mean, there's no more assembly in Tuscola?  One: The Tuscola assembly had knocked on each door in their small town at least twice and it was time to go stand with the assembly/outreach in Charleston. Or,  Two:  Oh, that is sad what happened in Tuscola.  Really sad.  (said with head shaking back and forth, eyes turned away)
No wonder the assemblies always wanted people to go away quietly, if they had to go.  Comparing notes with others who have left turns up some very interesting things.
BW
jackhutchinson

Email
« Reply #128 on: March 13, 2004, 01:26:44 am »

George used to teach that if we were really unfaithful with the 'testimony' God would remove the 'candlestick' from that community.  If GG really believed that, then we all would have heard about what happened in Tuscola so we would not repeat their mistakes, right?  Well, we didn't hear much about it in SLO.

A couple of years ago (when I was still duped) I asked one of the former leaders of Tuscola about what happened.  He casually commented that things didn't go well, but that he and the rest of the leaders from Tuscola had learned their lessons and had assumed leadership positions in the new assembly in Charleston. Huh

Jack
Mark Kisla
« Reply #129 on: May 01, 2004, 09:08:30 pm »

I never heard that story before: "Little Georgie and the Giant Hand". It reminds me of that Twilight Zone episode where the husband and wife awake in a little town with no people in it. They run around the town looking for people and they keep hearing "giggling", but can't figure out where it's coming from. It turns out all the trees are fake, and there is no one else in town. The episode ends with a giant hand coming down and picking them up and a voice saying "honey, put those humans down!! You're Daddy went all the way to earth to get them for you. Now come to lunch".

Chicago Sentinel, May 5, 1932.

GIANT HAND RESCUES LITTLE BOY FROM TRAFFIC

As his mother looked on in amazement,   little George"Georgie" Geftakys was lifted from harms way
Wednesday by a Giant Hand which appeared literally out of nowhere. "I couldn't believe it" said Georgie's Mom, "I had just given little Georgie his daily foot massage, when I noticed some of my money was missing. I went to the window to ask him if he'd taken it when I saw him wandering in the lanes of traffic. He was walking like he thought he was invincible or something--he always likes to dress up and pretend he's the Apostle Paul you know" she added. "I started to scream, when I saw this Giant hand coming down out of the sky and pick him up and put him on the sidewalk. It was a miracle!!!" she cried. Georgie's Uncle Fritz confirmed the story. "I had just gotten back from a trip to Mexico, when Frieda(Georgie's Mom) and I decided to try some of the mushrooms I'd gathered there. It must have been about 15 minutes later when I heard Frieda scream and I joined her at the window. Sure as day I saw that Giant hand too--it was manicured and must have been about 15 feet long. I also saw a giant frog that...." Frieda interrupted him at this point and spoke of how grateful she was that little Georgie was alive and so well cared for. "He's a little saint" she said, "how could I ever have suspected him of stealing my money?" she asked incredulously. "Surely the gods are watching out for my little Georgie" she said. "If you'd like to make a donation to show your appreciation for Georgie's miraculous experience you can place the money in the wooden chest by the front door with the slot in the top" she asked. No one other than Fritz and Frieda saw the Giant hand, but the neighbors claim that they believe, and come to listen to Georgie daily as he recites verses from the Bible while dressed in a cloak and sandals. Little Georgie refused to comment, but appears grateful just the same.
This BB has been a blessing to me and at moments humorous.
The funniest was the spin Joe Sperling put on one of Georges tall tales about how as a child George was miraculously saved from being hit by a car from a giant hand that appeared out of heaven and pulled him to safety.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  

Jump to: