AssemblyBoard
April 19, 2024, 12:46:00 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Here  (Read 7670 times)
Flying_Blind

Email
« on: October 31, 2008, 11:27:08 pm »

Hello.  I'm here because I am very intrigued by the affects and "spiritual baggage" bestowed upon former assembly members' children.  Just eyeballing it, what's the percentage of children -post assembly life -  living what could be deemed a successful Christian life vs. those children who have rejected the lifestyle and belief system altogether?

Sorry for those that were personally impacted by this man.
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 06:38:08 pm »

Welcome Flying_Blind!

I don't think anyone can know for sure re. exact percentages of former AK's (Assm. Kids) and their recovery rates.  Most of these Kids don't really want to talk about their past (same with their parents), for various reasons.

I would recommend reading some of the excellent articles at the Assembly Reflections site that deal with the topic of spiritual recovery.  This will help you to understand the issues involved and suggestions on finding help in recovery.

God Bless,  Mark C.
Margaret

Email
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 11:33:59 pm »

Hello "Flying" -

I would hazard a guess that probably most Ak's retain some measure of faith. A few have radically thrown it out. Some have become agnostic. Many feel in a kind of spiritual limbo but consider themselves Christians. Some still have strong faith - see Ruth de Visser's testimony testimony . It varies a lot depending on how their parents implemented Ass'y ideas about children and families, how their parents were treated in the Ass'y and whether they were Workers, what Ass'y they were in, whether they went to Cornerstone Academy (the Ass'y elementary-middle school) and how they were treated there, etc. Some Assemblies such as Tuscola, IL, which had a very rough time (see Brinda McC's story, Midwest and Tuscola History, and her son's story, Assembly Kid..), had a very high fall out of kids, initially, but many of them coming back to a more personal faith as time goes by, though not necessarily faithful church goers.

These guesses may be skewed because some or maybe most of those who have pretty muich given up on faith don't feel comfortable saying so on this board or ga.com.

But it's not just the Assembly kids. Many adults who passed through the Ass'y also came away with serious problems with faith. Cult experts say this is not an uncommon fallout of spiritual manipulation and abuse.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: