AssemblyBoard
April 24, 2024, 05:09:31 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Orleans  (Read 12474 times)
vernecarty
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2005, 09:10:09 am »

I have been receiving copies of Rolling Stone magazine (I must have agreed to some kind of trial subsccription deal or another) and have been tossing them in the trash can as soon as they arrived.
Tonight my wife thumbed through the latest edition and I am still reeling from the shock.
There was one article about a man who died in the performance of one of the most unspeakably perverted acts imaginable, and which apparently is now quite common-place in this country, and another about the frightful corruption, decadence and general depravity of the city of New Orleans.
It is not possible to speak in polite company of the first article.
As I indicated I am still in a state of shock that we live in a world where people do such things.
Here are a few lines of the reportage regarding NO from the article called "City of Lies".

A murder rate ten times the national average.
A plice force notorious for corruption, rape, and murder for hire.
A forty percent illiteracy rate.
Fifty thousand truants daily
A drop-out rate of 350 children weekly.

What are the thoughts of  political representatives of this situation?
Representative Richard Baker, Louisiana Republican opined:

"We finally cleaned up public housing in New Orleans. We couldn't do it. God did."

We are in deep trouble...very deep trouble...
Verne
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 09:13:24 am by VerneCarty » Logged
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2005, 09:31:24 am »

I have been receiving copies of Rolling Stone magazine (I must have agreed to some kind of trial subsccription deal or another) and have been tossing them in the trash can as soon as they arrived.
Tonight my wife thumbed through the latest edition and I am still reeling from the shock.
There was one article about a man who died in the performance of one of the most unspeakably perverted acts imaginable, and which apparently is now quite common-place in this country, and another about the frightful corruption, decadence and general depravity of the city of New Orleans.
As I indicated I am still in a state of shock that we live in a world where people do such things.
Here are a few lines of the reportage regarding NO from the article called "City of Lies".

"We finally cleaned up public housing in New Orleans. We couldn't do it. God did."

Verne

"The sins of Sauruman are washing away", wasn't that how it went in LOTR?  I think it was filth. Same thing.

And I'm not referring to the low-income scapegoats.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 05:27:07 pm by moonflower » Logged
vernecarty
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2005, 06:07:57 pm »

"
And I'm not referring to the low-income scapegoats.

It is so easy to sanctimoniously wag our fingers at those folk...a pity!
Verne
outdeep

Email
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2005, 07:14:52 pm »

Verne

I was in a devotions at work where the leader read an editorial just after Katrina hit.  The mayer of New Orleans had an open letter welcoming people to come to the annual GLAT Labor Day weekend event called "Southern Depravity".   The event got cancelled due to the weather.
vernecarty
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2005, 07:23:04 pm »

I was in a devotions at work where the leader read an editorial just after Katrina hit.  The mayer of New Orleans had an open letter welcoming people to come to the annual GLAT Labor Day weekend event called "Southern Depravity".   The event got cancelled due to the weather.

When it comes to speaking with intelligence to a lost and dying world about the sovereign majesty of God in the control of space-time, and that He is a God who will judge iniquity, and by no means clear the guilty, the church has become virtually useless. Thanks to Tony Evans for clearing up some fuzzy thinking on my part about this...

Destruction and death say, We have heard the fame thereof with our ears.
  God understandeth the way thereof, and he knoweth the place thereof.
  For he looketh to the ends of the earth, and seeth under the whole heaven;
 To make the weight for the winds; and he weigheth the waters by measure.
 When he made a decree for the rain, and a way for the lightning of the thunder:
 Then did he see it, and declare it; he prepared it, yea, and searched it out.
 And unto man he said, Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding.
Job 28:22-28
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 07:25:04 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: