AssemblyBoard
April 19, 2024, 11:08:40 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Global Warming and Hurricane Development  (Read 12117 times)
Oscar

Email
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2005, 10:51:17 am »

BAT,

Not long ago the most respected scientists taught that the earth was flat

Actually, this is a popular myth spread in a novel in the 19th century by Irving or Hawthorne.  It said that the Catholic church told Columbus the earth was flat.  Actually, the Catholic scholars told him his estimates of an 8000 mile circumference were too low.

Educated people knew the earth was spherical from at least the days of Aristotle, and Eratosthenes (5th century bc) calculated the circumference at around 20,000 miles by measuring the angles of stars from the bottom of wells, using Euclidian geometry.

This was the figure the Catholic scholars used to advise Columbus.  Turns out they were right!  If NA and SA had not been where they are, Columbus would have died in the middle of the ocean, long before reaching Asia.

At least one ancient Greek scholar taught a heliocentric solar system.

Interesting what?

Thomas Maddux
Oscar

Email
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2005, 10:54:29 am »

Folks,

One recent theory as to the cause of global warming is that subterranean magma flows heat the sea water.  As the magma heats sea water, the whole earth is affected.

Thomas Maddux
vernecarty
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2005, 02:20:51 pm »

Verne,

I learned about this through a secret source of underground information that only a few of us have access to.  I can't say the name of it on the internet, but...(whisper) I saw it on PBS.    Wink

Thomas Maddux

Did you believe it? 
Some folk did not...
I for one was incredulous.
Some still deny it happened (Julius Justice Wilson, former U of C professor actually did a survey of whites about the incident and not only had the vast majority never heard of it, they contended that such a thing could never happen!) ...the same ones that say racism no longer exists in America, and tell us how lucky Blacks were to brought here... Smiley.
I would wager that if you surveyed the readers of the BB,for most, this is the first they have heard of it.

Folks,

One recent theory as to the cause of global warming is that subterranean magma flows heat the sea water.  As the magma heats sea water, the whole earth is affected.

Thomas Maddux

You have something against CO2?  Grin

Verne
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 02:28:04 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
vernecarty
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2005, 03:08:50 pm »

BAT,

Actually, this is a popular myth spread in a novel in the 19th century by Irving or Hawthorne.  It said that the Catholic church told Columbus the earth was flat.  Actually, the Catholic scholars told him his estimates of an 8000 mile circumference were too low.

Educated people knew the earth was spherical from at least the days of Aristotle, and Eratosthenes (5th century bc) calculated the circumference at around 20,000 miles by measuring the angles of stars from the bottom of wells, using Euclidian geometry.

This was the figure the Catholic scholars used to advise Columbus.  Turns out they were right!  If NA and SA had not been where they are, Columbus would have died in the middle of the ocean, long before reaching Asia.

At least one ancient Greek scholar taught a heliocentric solar system.

Interesting what?

Thomas Maddux

Tom I thought you taught history.
Have you ever heard of Copernicus?
Here are the facts.
The flat earth theory did begin as a religious thesis and it happened in the sixth century, not the nineteenth as you erroneously suggest. Some of the men who sailed with Columbus were terrified that they would eventually fall off the earth and almost mutinied before they sighted land.
The flat earth theory was proposed by an Alexandrian monk named Cosmas Indicopleustes in a work entitlted  Christian Topography and was in fact sanctioned by the Church.
Tom it is a well-known fact that the Catholic Church once tried to establish itself as the sole authority on matters not only of religion, but also of philosophy and science.
Despite the incorrect geocentric cosmology of Ptolemy, I am not certain he would have appreciated the linking of the flat-earth theory with his view of the cosmos.
Of course many navigators knew better, including Columbus, despite the general acceptance of the flat-earth notion among many clergy.
Luckily for Copernicus, he died the day his heliocentirc thesis was published... Smiley
Of course Galileo is credited with taking up defense of Copernicus' theory and openly challenging the notion of a flat/geocentric, and immovable, earth.
Some ignoramuses have tried to discredit the Bible by claiming that it teaches the earth is flat, but that is another story...
Verne
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 03:26:41 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
Oscar

Email
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2005, 08:33:02 pm »

Tom I thought you taught history.
Have you ever heard of Copernicus?
Here are the facts.
The flat earth theory did begin as a religious thesis and it happened in the sixth century, not the nineteenth as you erroneously suggest. Some of the men who sailed with Columbus were terrified that they would eventually fall off the earth and almost mutinied before they sighted land.
The flat earth theory was proposed by an Alexandrian monk named Cosmas Indicopleustes in a work entitlted  Christian Topography and was in fact sanctioned by the Church.
Tom it is a well-known fact that the Catholic Church once tried to establish itself as the sole authority on matters not only of religion, but also of philosophy and science.
Despite the incorrect geocentric cosmology of Ptolemy, I am not certain he would have appreciated the linking of the flat-earth theory with his view of the cosmos.
Of course many navigators knew better, including Columbus, despite the general acceptance of the flat-earth notion among many clergy.
Luckily for Copernicus, he died the day his heliocentirc thesis was published... Smiley
Of course Galileo is credited with taking up defense of Copernicus' theory and openly challenging the notion of a flat/geocentric, and immovable, earth.
Some ignoramuses have tried to discredit the Bible by claiming that it teaches the earth is flat, but that is another story...
Verne

Verne,

Take a look at this http://www.bede.org.uk/flatearth.htm

Or this http://www.id.ucsb.edu/fscf/library/RUSSELL/FlatEarth.html

Blessings,

Thomas Maddux
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 09:08:40 pm by Tom Maddux » Logged
Oscar

Email
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2005, 09:02:47 pm »

Verne,

Here is a quote from Samuel Elliot Morrison, retired admiral, historian, and author of a biography of Columbus entitiled, "Admiral of the Ocean Sea."

"     One present-day writer who deeply appreciates the
contributions made by Irving, but who nevertheless criticizes the
above statements as a glorified myth, is Samuel Eliot Morison
(Pulitzer Prize Winner).  He writes,

"What becomes of the celebrated sessions of the
     University of Salamanca, before whose professors of
     mathematics, geography, and astronomy Columbus argued
     his case, and was turned down because he could not
     convince them that the world was round?  That is pure
     moonshine.  Washington Irving ... took a fictitious
     account of this non-existent university council
     published 130 years after the event, elaborated on it,
     and let his imagination go completely."(14)

He further comments,

"...the whole story is misleading and mischievous
     nonsense.  The University was not asked to decide....
     The sphericity of the globe was not in question.  The
     issue was the width of the ocean; and therein the
     opposition was right."(15)

The whole text can be found at http://muweb.millersville.edu/~columbus/data/geo/ODLCASE1.GEO

The flat earth is one issue, the geocentric solar system is a completely different issue.

Thomas Maddux
vernecarty
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2005, 09:29:06 pm »

Thanks for the link.
Ther are clearly differing viewpoints being presented depending on the authors.
I was just a bit startled by your suggestion that "flat-earthism" ( is that a word??!) started in the nineteenth century...it is certainly true that the moving, heliocentic, spherical earth idea was NOT commonly accepted when Copernicus first made his claims. I agree that the issues are separate, but the in the historical  debate they were inextricably linked as you well know...
Verne
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2005, 05:54:24 am »

Not too many white folk know about, let alone being prepared to admit the horrors of the "Tuskegee experiment"...some similarly abominable experiments were performed on Jews by the Germans...
Verne

Verne,

I learned about this through a secret source of underground information that only a few of us have access to.  I can't say the name of it on the internet, but...(whisper) I saw it on PBS.    Wink

Thomas Maddux

Did you believe it? 
Some folk did not...
I for one was incredulous.
Some still deny it happened (Julius Justice Wilson, former U of C professor actually did a survey of whites about the incident and not only had the vast majority never heard of it, they contended that such a thing could never happen!) ...the same ones that say racism no longer exists in America, and tell us how lucky Blacks were to brought here... Smiley.
I would wager that if you surveyed the readers of the BB,for most, this is the first they have heard of it.

Verne

Verne, about the same time as the original PBS broadcast, Ohio's widest read newspaper ran a week-long story on the Tuskegee experiment, and a number of former Tuskegee airmen were interviewed in/on various media.  Having spent a "lifetime" in Alabama during the summer/fall of 1961, I had no difficulty believing any of it.  (As you often say, "I could tell you stories...")

There are people in the U.S. who deny all evidence of the WW2 holocaust, as well as some who think the moon landings of U.S. astronauts took place in a secret TV studio on earth.  It is not a sane world we live in, but no sensible believer in Christ should have cause to doubt the capacities of the unredeemed for working evil...

al
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: