AssemblyBoard
April 20, 2024, 02:44:46 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19
  Print  
Author Topic: The God Grab Bag  (Read 157935 times)
lurker
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2005, 10:39:47 pm »

Hello, Lurker! You sound oddly like a former poster we used to know named Brent. If he knew you were on board, I'm sure he'd be back here in two snaps of a gnats wing, 'cuz you two would have so much in common. I want to disagree with you, though. I've said this before, on the BP thread, but it was ignored, as usual  Wink. Why not let the new generation of post-Assemblyites take over this board for awhile? I mean, top posters, like Brent, Verne, Al, Tom have logged literally days--24 hour days--on here. People who've been out of the Ass'y for more than 2.5 years have had a chance to sort things out, and we have a life, for cryin' out loud. We don't need to hang around here. But folks like Elizabeth do. They need the chance to talk among themselves without us know-it-alls. They're asking for that chance. Can't we give it to them?

Well, you're wrong about who I am.  I'm not Brent, although I know him and admire him.  I'm not related to him either.  He knows I'm "back," and I doubt he'll be back here.  He thinks that it's not a good idea for people to get wrapped up in this forum, and I agree with him.  He was able to quit, for his own good.

I think we are in agreement on one thing:  I think it is a good idea for all the people you listed above to step back and let a new generation of posters take over.  In fact, I like you idea so much, I'll consider myself to be part of the older generation of posters and will make this my last post.

I don't suppose you will directly ask Verne, Tom, Al to step back?  I would like to point out that they post a good deal more often than I ever did.

Since you lumped me in to the know-it-all category, along with yourself, how about if we both agree to not make a single post for six months?  What if Al, Tom and Verne agreed to the same?  Wouldn't that help the new generation take over?

The next key I hit is the delete account key:

lurker

Scruffy

Email
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2005, 11:18:31 pm »

I miss lurker already. A nice dose of common sense.
Margaret

Email
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2005, 11:46:28 pm »

I would be happy to ask Verne, Al and Tom directly. How about it, guys?
Elizabeth H

Email
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2005, 12:59:08 am »

We don't need to hang around here. But folks like Elizabeth do. They need the chance to talk among themselves without us know-it-alls. They're asking for that chance. Can't we give it to them?

Oh my gosh, thank YOU Margaret! I've been freaking out today (and last night) because my "please be nice" post started...what? I'm still trying to figure that out! But now we have people blowing whistles and comparing us to mental patients? That was funny, actually. Thanks, lurker.

Yes, yes, yes. I'm just asking for a chance! And I don't even mind if the "old timers" chime in here and there. I have nothing against Al, Verne, Tom or whoever else. Seriously, I'm cool with you guys. See, I don't take myself too seriously and I don't take you too seriously either. But I want to hear other people, too.

Here are my ideas:

Be nice.

Let others talk.

Be respectful.

That goes for me, too!  Grin

now the hard part: is that possible here?
frank

Email
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2005, 01:59:56 am »

Oh my gosh, thank YOU Margaret! I've been freaking out today (and last night) because my "please be nice" post started...what? I'm still trying to figure that out! But now we have people blowing whistles and comparing us to mental patients? That was funny, actually. Thanks, lurker.

Yes, yes, yes. I'm just asking for a chance! And I don't even mind if the "old timers" chime in here and there. I have nothing against Al, Verne, Tom or whoever else. Seriously, I'm cool with you guys. See, I don't take myself too seriously and I don't take you too seriously either. But I want to hear other people, too.

Here are my ideas:

Be nice.

Let others talk.

Be respectful.

That goes for me, too!  Grin

Isn't Elizabeth nice, I ask?  She's so very nice.  I fear she will be dissappointed though so I feel compelled to speak up here.

Since lurker has deleted his account I want to say something on his behalf, consistent I believe, with the spirit of what he was saying in his last post.

You are being a very nice person, Elizabeth, when you offer the "old posters" a continued spot on this board.  In the spirit of sharing though you sort of undo or change the terms that lurker and Margaret are trying to negotiate FOR YOU and others. 

This may feel a little awkward right now, but there is something very important to be gained here FOR YOU and for other younger posters who want to have dialog without being led, guided, monitored, corrected, etc. by the "old Posters."

now the hard part: is that possible here?  (Be nice.  Let others talk.  Be respectful.)

It has been well established over at least a couple years that the hard part you speak of is not possible given the same posters are involved.  I like being nice too, but sometimes you can be too nice and be taken advantage of by controlling people.  History speaks too loudly on this one. 

Something has been placed on the table that I would like to be so bold as to re-submit without further conditions.    

Well, you're wrong about who I am.  I'm not Brent, although I know him and admire him.  I'm not related to him either.  He knows I'm "back," and I doubt he'll be back here.  He thinks that it's not a good idea for people to get wrapped up in this forum, and I agree with him.  He was able to quit, for his own good.

I think we are in agreement on one thing:  I think it is a good idea for all the people you listed above to step back and let a new generation of posters take over.  In fact, I like you idea so much, I'll consider myself to be part of the older generation of posters and will make this my last post.

I don't suppose you will directly ask Verne, Tom, Al to step back?  I would like to point out that they post a good deal more often than I ever did.

Since you lumped me in to the know-it-all category, along with yourself, how about if we both agree to not make a single post for six months?  What if Al, Tom and Verne agreed to the same?  Wouldn't that help the new generation take over?

The next key I hit is the delete account key:

lurker

I would be happy to ask Verne, Al and Tom directly. How about it, guys?

Margaret

Email
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2005, 02:31:20 am »

Thank you, Frank, for assisting this negotiation. I, for one, hereby sign on to the six-month agreement. I have one caveat, however. I had intended, at the end of the ongoing six-week time-off intiated by the BP, to post regarding the concerns I have about the said BP. What I may do instead is start a blog to record my observations. I would like to just come over here and post the URL for the blog, if and when I do it. I have suggested to another of the LP's that they also start a blog. (It's really easy.)

This means, Frank, that I will have to let go of my parental urge to offer answers and guidance  Tongue, and my rescuer urge to jump in and protect  Roll Eyes, and leave the health and safety of the board to folks like you  Smiley Smiley, and maybe you guys won't have all the right answers  Wink.  It's hard, it's really hard, but I think I can do it.  Grin

Margaret
Jem

Email
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2005, 02:44:19 am »

Rats, does this mean I can't ask Verne to show me where I called Tom Maddux a "Tyrant?" (If you put it in quote marks the implication is that you're quoting).

I like Tom. Ain't nobody been skwered in the assembly quite like Tom was skwered, but he does have a tendency to get a little hermanutical on small portions of people's posts. Sorry Tom, no tyrannical accusation intended.

Even though I'm a 2.5er I think I'll take Lurker's advice and check out of the Hotel California.

Scruffy

Email
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2005, 03:16:06 am »

Rats, does this mean I can't ask Verne to show me where I called Tom Maddux a "Tyrant?" (If you put it in quote marks the implication is that you're quoting).

I like Tom. Ain't nobody been skwered in the assembly quite like Tom was skwered, but he does have a tendency to get a little hermanutical on small portions of people's posts. Sorry Tom, no tyrannical accusation intended.

Even though I'm a 2.5er I think I'll take Lurker's advice and check out of the Hotel California.

No. I think it would be real interesting to ask Verne to show you that. He won't be able to though because it isn't there. No surprise there.
Checking out.
just me

Email
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2005, 04:58:15 am »

Hey Jem:
I'm going to see The Eagles this Saturday!  (speaking of Hotel California)  It will be my first "worldy" concert in maybe 25 years.  Should be fun.  I don't know if you're supposed to byob or what.  What is correct concert ettiquet?  I'm so out of touch.  What a nerd.

Hey don't leave.  It's just getting fun around here.

From one nut to another
me
frank

Email
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2005, 06:17:53 am »

Jem, Elizabeth, Mercy4Me,

I hope others will have the courage to speak out on this as you three have. It is encouraging that this subject has resurfaced in several different ways recently.   You give others courage to speak out.  Remember that people did not speak up when they were being controlled through strong personalities and took big hits for their unwillingness to be vulnerable publicly.  The strong control the less certain and less confident when the timid will not speak out.  Many of us have learned that keeping quiet when there is harshness and abuse is not a good path to take.

It is clear now that there is a pervading cold, rude, and pushy "style" of strong posters who control all others to an extent.  This must be questioned since, after all, it has been proven in recent years - the strongest intellects are not always "right."  Roll Eyes In fact, intellectuals can be some of the most irrational and love-lacking among Christians. 

The verse about "accusing and excusing" comes to mind...both are of the same mind depending on whose intellectual abilities or opinions are being scrutinized - yours or mine.   Wink

An abrasive "style" ??  Don't we tend to understate our own shortcomings and overstate those of others?  George did this.  With him the sins of others was put under the microscope and conversely his shortcomings (understated) were just chalked up as the innate passions of the Greeks.  Exactly the same brand of justifications if you ask me. 

George would have handled that false prophet, Dave Sable, in much the same way he was handled on this board for sharing his own "opinion" of how Revelation could be viewed.  He was essentially slapped for differing in opinion; he was ridiculed publicly for thinking outside the box - right or wrong. 

Ok, let's say False Prophet, Dave was dead wrong.  Is debate stimulated when someone hits you over the head and shames you for even saying or even thinking such a God-awful thought to begin with.  And then to post it.  Well!!!  Unthinkable.  "YOU SHOULD HAVE STUDIED IT TIRELESSLY BEFORE YOU POSTED SUCH A THING."  This is typical of Verne's and Tom's tyrannical "style."

Stimulating "de" bate or bait "ing" for the next meal" ?? 

I like that.  It may require more than a little extra time, however.  It may mean learning "love" in the exchange of ideas.  Stimulating debate wasn't Christ's priority when He walked this sad earth.  He came to prove His love through sacrifice - did He not?  He came loving and helping, not debating and skillfully turning phrases.  What do you think? 

frank

Jem,

I will claim having used that nasty little word in reference to a couple fellows who I feel exercise way too much control.  I did not call someone a "tyrant" however.   I referred to a tyrannical "style"....(see above).  I used the word to describe a "style" or method of how some people control other people.  I did not call someone a name as in "You are a stinking tyrant."

Misrepresentation of the usage of the word, no quote, wrong poster, but besides that Verne was absolutely correct in his defensive allegation toward you, Jem.  Sorry you were blamed for something I did/said or didn't say.  Huh  That's why direct quotes are a very good idea.

Frank

2ram
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2005, 08:35:26 am »

No. I think it would be real interesting to ask Verne to show you that. He won't be able to though because it isn't there. No surprise there.
Checking out.

With all the talk of "being nice", this looks like a jab at Verne.  I've read it over and over and can't see it any other way, so enlighten me if there is another way to look at it.

I do believe that Jem referred to being skewered by Tom.

2r
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2005, 08:54:42 am »

With all the talk of "being nice", this looks like a jab at Verne.  I've read it over and over and can't see it any other way, so enlighten me if there is another way to look at it.
(in bold for easy reading)

!! Well, I'll be............a vine on a lattice!! Someone has identified a jab at Verne!!
This has got to be a first.

Moonflower
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 08:58:02 am by moonflower » Logged
2ram
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2005, 09:04:30 am »

I do believe that Jem referred to being skewered by Tom.

2r

!! Well, I'll be............a vine on a lattice!! Someone has identified a jab at Verne!!
This has got to be a first.

Moonflower

Scruffy talks of being nice on board and then.... she takes a jab at Verne.  Something wrong with this picture.

This is silly really.
got to go.
2r
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2005, 09:13:28 am »

Scruffy talks of being nice on board and then.... she takes a jab at Verne.  Something wrong with this picture.
Most definitely.
This is silly really.
amen.
got to go.
2r
Moonflower
Scruffy

Email
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2005, 05:18:37 pm »

Checking out.
Enough already. JEM never called Tom a "tyrant". Verne made it seem like she did. End of story. Good grief, people.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19
  Print  

Jump to: