AssemblyBoard
April 19, 2024, 03:12:42 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Skeptics Only  (Read 4288 times)
David Mauldin
« on: June 17, 2005, 04:25:58 am »

This thread is for skeptics only!  Don't post unless you are an non-believer!
Oscar

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 09:29:20 am »

This thread is for skeptics only!  Don't post unless you are an non-believer!

OK folks.   

I received an e-mail, (1), in which I was informed that the anonymous author "has a right" to chat about his issues.

Of course this raises the question of exactly who or what confers "rights" upon people in an non-believer's universe.  Or, for that matter, what is a "right"?

But go ahead and have at it.

I would ask two things of you:

1. Please observe common  standards of decency.

2. Please do not begin attacking the other folks on the board. 

Thomas Maddux
outdeep

Email
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 07:13:27 pm »

Personally, I think this thread is is an attempt at a self-fullilled prophecy.

1.  As noted by others, I doubt if there is as large a proportion of ex-Assembly unbelievers out there looking to David for guidance as David would like us to believe.
2.  I doubt if many will post because if they have been reading this board at all, they know Tom, Verne, Brent, Marcia, Mark, Joe and other and probably know that they will add their two cents.  Certainly everyone has a right to post anything they want.  But would they find a sympathetic audience?  That is really what they are after, not discussion.
3.  If someone does venture out and posts and the post is interpreted as an attack on cherished beliefs, people will respond.  They these skeptics will say, "see?  This is just a one-sided discussion.  I tried to generate a discussion and these right-wing fundamentalists shot me down.

Having said that, at this point, I have some question and confusion about Christian spirituality, how church is done, and some serious questions about how we look at Biblical inerrencey that I am currently working through.  (These are issues I want to investigate with learned teachers and thinkers, not necessarily in a free-for-all open forum)  So in some sense, that makes me a skeptic as I am questioning elements of my Evangelical belief (a healthy process, I think).  Or, by skeptic, are you only looking for those who have jettisoned all of historic Christianity?  I see no reason to do that.
David Mauldin
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 04:39:50 am »

Well friends?  Perhaps we can chat???   Again I have been a non-believer three years, (perhaps more) How bout you? 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: