AssemblyBoard
April 20, 2024, 01:57:45 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Does David Mauldin Keep Adding New Threads?  (Read 5896 times)
David Mauldin
« on: June 13, 2005, 09:48:05 pm »

Why do I keep adding new threads?  (This is in response to the comment made by Tom Maddox)

Do I want to dominate this bb so I can take it over?  Do I have an insatiable desire to communicate with other people?  Am I addicted to posting?  Am I setting certain people up in hopes they will contradict themselves etc.....  O.K. I will be completely honest with you! Brace yourselves!  I would like to chat with old friends and make new ones!!!!  Yes I know it is wrong!! It is disgusting and deviant behavior and I should be ashamed of myself.  But I will tell you in all honesty that my wife and I had a very enjoyable time last summer with a USD teacher in San Diego!  It was because of this bb!!!  Also we are planning a celebration with another married couple this summer. And it is because of this bb!!!  I have been contacted over and over again by "lurkers" who choose to remain anonymous, or don't even bother to post! You say Dave where/why are you meeting all these people? How are you making/renewing all of these friendships?Huh  Why don't they openly chat with us?Huh  Why do they choose contact you privately?  Why don't they come out into the light?Huh   I would like to say a lot about why I think this is the way it is but then again it has already been said over and over by other people. It is my desire for this bb that people will one day feel comfortable with openy chatting without the fears they have expressed to me privately. Thus I post so many threads!  In hopes that I will draw these lurkers into good healthy conversations. Maby one or two of the 500+ people who are registered (and many people have) say to themselves , "Hey" "This seems like a safe reasonable person to chat with!" "Perhaps I can make/renew a friendship?"
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 10:25:24 pm by David Mauldin » Logged
Oscar

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 03:51:43 am »

Why do I keep adding new threads?  (This is in response to the comment made by Tom Maddox)

Do I want to dominate this bb so I can take it over?  Do I have an insatiable desire to communicate with other people?  Am I addicted to posting?  Am I setting certain people up in hopes they will contradict themselves etc.....  O.K. I will be completely honest with you! Brace yourselves!  I would like to chat with old friends and make new ones!!!!  Yes I know it is wrong!! It is disgusting and deviant behavior and I should be ashamed of myself.  But I will tell you in all honesty that my wife and I had a very enjoyable time last summer with a USD teacher in San Diego!  It was because of this bb!!!  Also we are planning a celebration with another married couple this summer. And it is because of this bb!!!  I have been contacted over and over again by "lurkers" who choose to remain anonymous, or don't even bother to post! You say Dave where/why are you meeting all these people? How are you making/renewing all of these friendships?Huh  Why don't they openly chat with us?Huh  Why do they choose contact you privately?  Why don't they come out into the light?Huh   I would like to say a lot about why I think this is the way it is but then again it has already been said over and over by other people. It is my desire for this bb that people will one day feel comfortable with openy chatting without the fears they have expressed to me privately. Thus I post so many threads!  In hopes that I will draw these lurkers into good healthy conversations. Maby one or two of the 500+ people who are registered (and many people have) say to themselves , "Hey" "This seems like a safe reasonable person to chat with!" "Perhaps I can make/renew a friendship?"

David,

No one has accused you of any of this.

Nothing wrong with chatting with old friends.

Since you say they contact you by e-mail or PM, why isn't that enough?

Nothing to stop them.

Thomas Maddux
M2
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 09:14:49 pm »

How nice David.
I did wonder why the lurkers have not been contacting me, now you have made it abundantly clear.

Marcia
David Mauldin
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 10:11:35 pm »

Marcia, I am not attacking you and if you are offended I apologize but I will state the fact that even today I am receiving e-mails from people who I have never even met. Why don't they just come out an post openly? I think they are afraid of getting clobbered!  After I left the Assembly I tried different groups. While working with Intervarsity a leader told me something that I have always remembered. "Dave" "If a guy comes up to the book table and says, "I hate Christianity and I don't even believe in God!" it probably is not a good idea to repond by saying "I'm not surprised! "The Bible says, "The fool has said in his heart there is no God!" Instead of calling the person a fool you might say something like "It sounds like you have had a bad experience?" "Would you like to talk about it?" This kind of reasoning will allow you to have a good healthy dialog with the person. Now I will admit I have a lot to learn and I will admit that some people on this bb have exercised this kind of behavior to which I commend them. Good advise???   
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 10:36:59 pm by David Mauldin » Logged
vernecarty
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 03:37:29 am »

After I left the Assembly I tried different groups. While working with Intervarsity a leader told me something that I have always remembered. "Dave" "If a guy comes up to the book table and says, "I hate Christianity and I don't even believe in God!" it probably is not a good idea to repond by saying "I'm not surprised! "The Bible says, "The fool has said in his heart there is no God!" Instead of calling the person a fool you might say something like "It sounds like you have had a bad experience?" "Would you like to talk about it?" This kind of reasoning will allow you to have a good healthy dialog with the person. Now I will admit I have a lot to learn and I will admit that some people on this bb have exercised this kind of behavior to which I commend them. Good advise???   

Great observation David. The BB has been  fun, as well as definitely a learning experience for me. The lessons I have learned are pretty well summed up in the admonition of Proverbs 9:7-8

He that reproveth a scorner getteth to himself shame: and he that rebuketh a wicked man getteth himself a blot. Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee.

God bless and keep everyone, and have a jpyous and fruitful Summer!
Verne
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 03:39:22 am by VerneCarty » Logged
outdeep

Email
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 06:35:18 am »

I don't think anyone is trying to slam anyone here.  I think it is a discussion of a point of etiquette.

In the old bulliten board (before this new version), it used to be a big problem when someone would begin serial posting - posting 10-15 times in a row - because it would knock all the older, unread posts off the recent history list.  I would find this annoying because I would miss some posts by those who would post thoughtfully, but less frequently.

In this new bulletin board, there is a GREAT feature.   In the upper left hand corner there is a "show unread posts since last visit" link.  This keeps track of everything I have not read so nothing is missed.

With this new feature, serial posting doesn't bother me.  I now have a list of everything that was posted since my last visit.  I can click through what doesn't interest me and read what does.
Oscar

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 09:31:26 am »

I don't think anyone is trying to slam anyone here.  I think it is a discussion of a point of etiquette.

In the old bulliten board (before this new version), it used to be a big problem when someone would begin serial posting - posting 10-15 times in a row - because it would knock all the older, unread posts off the recent history list.  I would find this annoying because I would miss some posts by those who would post thoughtfully, but less frequently.

In this new bulletin board, there is a GREAT feature.   In the upper left hand corner there is a "show unread posts since last visit" link.  This keeps track of everything I have not read so nothing is missed.

With this new feature, serial posting doesn't bother me.  I now have a list of everything that was posted since my last visit.  I can click through what doesn't interest me and read what does.

When I click on that link, I get the page but it always says there are no unread topics since my last visit....even when there are.

Anyone know why?

Thomas Maddux
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: