AssemblyBoard
April 25, 2024, 10:20:28 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory  (Read 3906 times)
David Mauldin
« on: June 06, 2005, 02:11:46 am »

My third graders are reading this book. I love it!  The author Roald Dahl had a real zezt for the twisted and strange. Although I like the Gene Wilder movie I hope the new one follows the books original format. Any Dahl fans out there???

http://www.roalddahl.com/
« Last Edit: June 06, 2005, 02:13:22 am by David Mauldin » Logged
Oscar

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 03:25:39 am »

My third graders are reading this book. I love it!  The author Roald Dahl had a real zezt for the twisted and strange. Although I like the Gene Wilder movie I hope the new one follows the books original format. Any Dahl fans out there???

http://www.roalddahl.com/

David,

The man was brilliant.  What an imagination.  In one of his kid's books though, he glorifies revenge.  The book is, as usual, well written and entertaining, but I never read it to my classes because of its immoral message. 

It was the one who's title has something to do with grapes.

The Fullerton library has, or did have 10 years ago, his autobiography.  It is as interesting as his fiction works.

He grew up in Tanganyika, served in the RAF during WWII.  Flew Gloster Gladiators against the Italians in North Africa, and Hurricanes against the Germans during the invasion of Greece and Crete.

His story focuses on the unusual, the weird and the hilarious events of his life.  His recounting of a latrine accident is so funny its dangerous.  Wink

Thomas Maddux
David Mauldin
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 05:25:09 am »

Are you referring to "Going Solo"?  and or "Boy"?  Quite amazing that he experienced so much in one life. The excentric english couple who use to jog nude on the passanger liner. His cabin mate who tried to conceal his bald head! My kids and I love the candy store incident! He put a dead mouse in a jar of jawbreakers!  When the mean old hag who ran the store reached in to get a jawbreaker she jumped out of her skin.  He was beat for this by the headmaster who later became the archbishop of the Anglican Church "I never saw anything of Christ in that man." He said later!  I think as a child he experienced some horrid abuse from adults. This is why his stories are filled with children who find ways to get their revenge!   Have you read "The Wonderful Life of Henry Sugar?" I love the newspaper article about the found treasure.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2005, 05:45:46 am by David Mauldin » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: