AssemblyBoard
April 19, 2024, 04:00:11 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Shame  (Read 3803 times)
Arthur
« on: January 17, 2003, 01:59:28 pm »

We've all heard it -- "Oh the shame of it all".  It seemed like a joke, then and now.  I think it is a joke to George.  Can any of us who knew him say that he was capable of being ashamed?  What about us.  Can we be ashamed?  I tell you one thing I know.  As I got more involved in the assembly, I found it harder and harder to be ashamed of anything even if I wanted to be, or knew I should be.  I learned well from George, I am ashamed to say.  We learned to not think about it.  It was ok to make mistakes, go against your conscience, hurt people by words with impunity -- so long as you are the Lord's Servant.   You don't have to feel guilty about it because you can just ask God to forgive you and then it magically disappears into the sea of forgetfulness--no consequences, no bad feelings, no shame.  Maybe it was from David that I learned this, but then you have to wonder where he got it from--George and Betty.  

What if George makes a public apology to the hurt, what if he says he's wrong?  It could be just words.  Politicians do it all the time.  I want to know if he really is ashamed of what he did.  If he is really sorry for what he did. If he feels it heavy upon his heart.  To me, that is the sign that there is still hope for the man.  Still hope that he could be a man and not a heartless, monsterous machine of a being.
Wouldn't it be great to see some meekness?  How about some lowliness or humility?  Contrition of heart?

Jesus was grieved by the hardness of men's hearts.
And when he had looked round about on them with anger, being grieved for the hardness of their hearts...

God heals the brokenhearted, but what is there but wrath for the hardhearted?
But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God

When there is this true shame, true brokenheartedness, then there can be true release and freedom.  Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.

Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.  Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile.  When I kept silence, my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day long.  For day and night thy hand was heavy upon me: my moisture is turned into the drought of summer. I acknowledge my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2003, 02:11:46 pm by Arthur » Logged
Peacefulg

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2003, 07:32:43 pm »

Hey Authur,

It is too bad but a relief we men cannot see if just the words spoken are true, so we are told and see so many times in the word to look at the fruit(s) of the people.  Like the old clichés go (for the most part) "wait and see" and "talk is cheap."  Or like my coaches and mother told me "put up or shut up!"

Cheers,
G
Arthur
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2003, 10:58:09 pm »

Yes, time will tell.  Let's hope for the best.

Arthur
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: