AssemblyBoard
April 27, 2024, 08:18:03 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: When Homosexuals Interprete the Bible . . .  (Read 3209 times)
outdeep

Email
« on: April 15, 2005, 08:33:35 pm »

You decide whether his comments were misinterpreted or not.  However, it underscores what happens when someone whose primary identity is based upon who he likes to have sex with brings his persepective to Biblical interpretation.

-Dave

GAY BISHOP SAYS HIS COMMENTS MISINTERPRETED

(EP)—Bishop V. Gene Robinson, the first openly gay bishop in the Episcopal Church, can’t understand why his comments about Jesus are being misinterpreted.

In a Feb. 13 audio file posting about sexual issues on his church’s web-site, Robinson said:  “Interestingly enough, in this day of traditional family values and so on…this man that we follow ... was single as far as we know; who traveled with a bunch of men, although there were lots of women around; who had a disciple who was known as 'the one whom Jesus loved'; who said my family is not my mother and father, my family are those who do the will of God -- none of us like those harsh words. That's who Jesus is, that's who he was, at least in his earthly life.''

Robinson now says that he is being falsely accused of suggesting Jesus might have been homosexual.

“(Jesus) lived a very untraditional lifestyle,” Robinson told The Associated Press. “Which is not to say that I in any way asserted that he was gay, or anything about his sexual orientation.”

David Virtue, who runs a news service and web-site for conservative Anglicans, publicized Robinson’s comments and said they were an attempt to “push the envelope as far as they can,” even to the point of suggesting that Jesus was homosexual. 

Robinson, though, said that was not his intention.  He told the New Hampshire Union-Leadeer that Virtue “is a person who wants the Anglican Communion to recognize the conservatives in the Episcopal church as the real Anglican Communion in the United States.  That's his goal, and he is willing to write and say almost anything to achieve that goal.”

Virtue responded by saying that Robinson is “clearly trying to promote a gay theological agenda.”

This story originally appeared in CitizenLink, and is published through EP News with permission
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: