AssemblyBoard
April 25, 2024, 10:51:46 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: American Idiot  (Read 5528 times)
David Mauldin
« on: March 26, 2005, 07:13:05 am »

As an old gieser at 44 I find myself no longer able to connect with the younger generation's music.  What/Who is 50 cent?  Lincoln what? Emenem looks too much like enema to me. (Sound like one also!) However last year a 6th grade student of mine told me she was into "Punk Rock"  "Punk rock"Huh  What do you mean, "Punk Rock!"  That was my generation and it is so "Yesterday!"  We talked about "The Clash" "The Sex Pistols" "The Ramones" We even talked about the meaning of "anarchy." As a result we are  friends and we exchange letters even though I am such a old fart. Well anyway, through Melissa, I learned that "Punk rock" is alive and well! There are a lot of punk bands out there today doing the boingo mosh pit slam dance.  I told her I would give it a try.  So 6 months ago I pick up this album (er a  woops) cd. "American Idiot" Green Day.  Oh my GAAAAAAA!  This work of art is a gem beyond description. It is the genius of the afor mentioned and has the best influences of bands like "The Beatles" "Rush" and "The Who"  It is a rock opera!  remember Tommy?  The work comes at you like a Haggler-Lennord fight and doesn't let up for 18 tracks!  Yet they aren't tracks rather they are themes that appear and re-appear throughout itself.  What makes it "Album of the Year" (Grammy) is not the fact that the riffs weave pure satitical joy/angst but that its lyrical relevace speaks to a generation that has been totally burned by its role models. Has anyone listened to this cd?  Anyone like to share?
outdeep

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 10:34:26 pm »

As an old gieser at 44 I find myself no longer able to connect with the younger generation's music.  What/Who is 50 cent?  Lincoln what? Emenem looks too much like enema to me. (Sound like one also!) However last year a 6th grade student of mine told me she was into "Punk Rock"  "Punk rock"Huh  What do you mean, "Punk Rock!"  That was my generation and it is so "Yesterday!"  We talked about "The Clash" "The Sex Pistols" "The Ramones" We even talked about the meaning of "anarchy." As a result we are  friends and we exchange letters even though I am such a old fart. Well anyway, through Melissa, I learned that "Punk rock" is alive and well! There are a lot of punk bands out there today doing the boingo mosh pit slam dance.  I told her I would give it a try.  So 6 months ago I pick up this album (er a  woops) cd. "American Idiot" Green Day.  Oh my GAAAAAAA!  This work of art is a gem beyond description. It is the genius of the afor mentioned and has the best influences of bands like "The Beatles" "Rush" and "The Who"  It is a rock opera!  remember Tommy?  The work comes at you like a Haggler-Lennord fight and doesn't let up for 18 tracks!  Yet they aren't tracks rather they are themes that appear and re-appear throughout itself.  What makes it "Album of the Year" (Grammy) is not the fact that the riffs weave pure satitical joy/angst but that its lyrical relevace speaks to a generation that has been totally burned by its role models. Has anyone listened to this cd?  Anyone like to share?
I have heard the name Green Day from my son.  He is also into (among others) an Irish band called Flogging Molley.  We have had entertaining discussions on where in the world they came up with that name.  I, on the other hand, am getting into big band music.  Talk about old geezer!  Grin
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 09:08:30 pm »

David----

I'm an old geezer too, but I have to admit that I like the song "American Idiot", and
the whole CD for that matter. The song "I walk alone" is one of my favorites off of
the CD. Two things make me like the CD---1) I've always been a rock and roll fan, and
like loud rock music at times(less now that before, but I love a loud, blaring song from
time to time. I like the group "Linkin Park" for that reason). 2) My son, Mike, worked on
the set of the video for "American Idiot", and got to meet the band and the director of
the Video. I'm actually more of a rock instrumental guitar fan, but I do like to listen to
all sorts of music, and have never allowed myself to "close my mind" and stay stuck in the
70's or 80's like some people do. For some, "classic Rock" is the only rock there is, and I
feel sorry for them for not exploring further, and really taking a listen to some of the good
bands that exist today. This may sound "worldly" to some, but I can't help it--I love rock
music and always will.

--Joe
David Mauldin
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 12:36:37 am »

Dave, the third grade teacher next door to mine is a big Flogging Molly fan.  He played them for me once.  They are a mixture of punk and Irish folk?  Good to know you communicate with your son. When are going to get matching tatoos??? Joe, what a priviledge for your son!!  Yes I like "I walk alone" also.  Billy Armstrong???  is quite the craftsman of the guitar! (I thought the vidio should have just had Billy all by himself wandering through the desert, but who am I just an old geizer!)  Hey I am going to the U2 "Vertigo" concert this Friday!!!  I have grown old with these geizers!  Their concerts are packed with Christians!!!  Have you ever gone tp one???
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 02:54:52 am »

David---

I have never been to a U2 concert. But just a week ago I was flipping through channels
and saw Bruce Springsteen inducting U2 into the "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame". They played
several of their songs,and I was absolutely glued to the screen. "The Edge", guitarist for the
band, has one of the most unique sounds on the guitar in rock. Their song "It's a Beautiful
Day" is one of my favorites. You're very lucky to get to see them. Have a great time!!!

--Joe

David Mauldin
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 05:27:10 am »

Thanks Joe, Dave are you realy into the "Big Band" music?  A friend of mine is into the swing dance craze.  Funny thing this music is very popular with youth also!!! My wife plays the clarinet and recently took up the flute.  She practices a lot!  The "beginner" books she uses teach the melody's of many of the hymns.  It drives her nuts when I launch into "We rest on thee and in thy name we gooooo!!!!" Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: