AssemblyBoard
April 20, 2024, 01:26:16 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Speaking in tongues has helped some addicts get off drugs painlessly  (Read 5205 times)
soul dreamer

Email
« on: March 15, 2005, 03:58:43 am »

Hello friends, perhaps the subject of speaking in tongues has been seriously discussed under another thread but I could not find it.

I highly recommend a book that I read last week titled “Chasing the Dragon.”  Jackie Pullinger wrote the book around 1977 relating what the Lord did for her in answer to prayer for addicts and prostitutes in Hong Kong starting in 1966.  In 1966 Jackie was a 22-year-old English Christian who bought a one-way ticket to Hong Kong believing the Lord had a job for her to do.  She went without any experience with addicts, without any financial support, and with very little, if any, “prayer support.”

An oft-repeated miracle related in the book was how the Lord delivered many who were addicted to heroin without going through the pain of withdrawal.  This happened when the addict was converted and then continued calling on the Lord when he felt withdrawal pains.  Especially interesting is how many of these converts (who had no exposure whatsoever to church or to the Bible) spoke in tongues, or, in some cases, prophesied scriptures that they had never learned, let alone heard.  Indeed, many experienced painless withdrawal from heroin or opium if they would continue praying in the language that the Lord had supernaturally given them the moment they were saved.

This is an interesting confirmation of the scripture that says, “He who prays in tongues edifies himself” (1 Cor. 14:4).  To edify ourselves in the Lord is a good thing - of course to edify the church through prophesy is better.

I looked for anything on Jackie on the web and it seems that she is still serving the Lord and is effectively reaching out to the unsaved in Hong Kong. 

As far as understanding why the Lord might do more miracles in one era or place than in another, consider the following.  Historians estimate that the communists under Mao Tse Tung killed about 38 million Chinese.  Surely many prayers were offered as Christians in China were tortured and then died in the mid-1960s.  I am not then surprised that in answer to all of this prayer, the Lord poured out his Spirit at this time in this land in ways that we might find unusual. 

Blessings in Christ Jesus,

Rick Samuel
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 10:14:40 pm by Rick Samuel » Logged
vernecarty
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 05:32:27 am »

Hello friends, perhaps the subject of speaking in tongues has been seriously discussed under another thread but I could not find it.

I highly recommend a book that I read last week titled “Chasing the Dragon.”  Jackie Pullinger wrote the book around 1977 relating what the Lord did for her in answer to prayer for addicts and prostitutes in Hong Kong starting in 1966.  In 1966 Jackie was a 22-year-old English Christian who bought a one-way ticket to Hong Kong believing the Lord had a job for her to do.  She went without any experience with addicts, without any financial support, and with very little, if any, “prayer support.”

An oft-repeated miracle related in the book was how the Lord delivered many who were addicted to heroin without going through the pain of withdrawal.  This happened when the addict was converted and then continued calling on the Lord when he felt withdrawal pains.  Especially interesting is how many of these converts (who had no exposure whatsoever to church or to the Bible) spoke in tongues, or, in some cases, prophesied scriptures that they had never learned, let alone heard.  Indeed, many experienced painless withdrawal from heroin or opium if they would continue praying in the language that the Lord had supernaturally given them the moment they were saved.

This is an interesting confirmation of the scripture that says, “He who prays in tongues edifies himself” (1 Cor. 14:5).

I looked for anything on Jackie on the web and it seems that she is still serving the Lord and is effectively reaching out to the unsaved in Hong Kong. 

As far as understanding why the Lord might do more miracles in one era or place than in another, consider the following.  Historians estimate that the communists under Mao Tse Tung killed about 38 million Chinese.  Surely many prayers were offered as Christians in China were tortured and then died in the mid-1960s.  I am not then surprised that in answer to all of this prayer, the Lord poured out his Spirit at this time in this land in ways that we might find unusual. 

Blessings in Christ Jesus,

Rick Samuel

Hi Rick:
A few years ago I would have strongly disagreed with you on this and have chapter and verse ready.
I still have some doctrinal questions about whether tongues have ever, or does now constitute some sort of "paryer language"
Having said that, I have talked to enough missionaries in the past several years to come away absolutely convinced that God is doing remarkable things in the various fields of service, that we fat and happy believers in the U.S. have not seen the likes of in generations...ultimately, everything has to be subjected to the standard of the teaching of the Scriptures and on this one there are divergent views. A few quick questions:
Do these occasions of speaking in tongues take place in public gatherngs?
If they do, is there someone with the gift of interpretation who translates?
Verne
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 05:41:22 am by VerneCarty » Logged
soul dreamer

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 06:01:42 am »

Most often it seems the addicts were alone with sister Jackie when they were saved and then given the supernatural utterances (without Jackie even mentioning that such a thing might occur).

Now in public meetings, no one would know if someone were praying in tongues to himself (either completely silently, or just barely audible to another sitting by if the sound level in the meeting is already loud).  On the other hand, if someone is praying in tongues loud enough that others stop to listen, then in the church I am in there is always a period of silence until the translation comes.  One time all 60 of us had to wait on the Lord silently maybe two whole minutes before someone gave the translation.  The translation comes through various individuals; I personally have never spoken in tongues or been used of the Lord to give the translation either privately or publicly.  I have peace though that the Lord has given me other gifts.

The believers in the book seem to follow the same practice.  One time the translation was Psalm 127:1-3 by a brother who was new in the Lord and knew next to nothing of the scriptures.

I need to go now; hope to check back tomorrow.   Rick
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 10:16:37 pm by Rick Samuel » Logged
vernecarty
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 08:51:47 pm »

Most often it seems the addicts were alone with sister Jackie when they were saved and then given the supernatural utterances (without Jackie even mentioning that such a thing might occur).

Now in public meetings, no one would know if someone were praying in tongues to himself (either completely silently, or just barely audible to another sitting by if the sound level in the meeting is already loud).  On the other hand, if someone is praying in tongues loud enough that others stop to listen, then in the church I am in there is always a period of silence until the translation comes.  One time all 60 of us had to wait on the Lord silently maybe two whole minutes before someone gave the translation.  The translation comes through various individuals; I personally have never spoken in tongues or been used of the Lord to give the translation either privately or publicly.  I have peace though that the Lord has given me other gifts.

The believers in the book seem to follow the same practice.  One time the translation was Psalm 127:1-3 by a brother who was new in the Lord and knew next to nothing of the scriptures.

I need to go now; hope to check back tomorrow.   Rick

Thanks Rick. While I would probably not be confortable at your church, that does not mean that God is in any way limited. I know enough to know that He does not need my permission to do the extraordinary... Smiley
Verne
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 09:13:35 pm »

Rick---

Thanks for the posts. I personally do not speak in tongues, and have never had an
ability to interpret, etc.  But I do believe that the Lord can do anything He wants
to do, and does work in "mysterious ways" as the quote goes. I've always felt that
it was wrong for anyone to say "The gifts are not for today" when referring to speaking
in tongues or divine healing. Though I do believe that many do take advantage of these
things, and put far too much of an emotional spin on them, I do believe that they exist,
and the Lord uses them today. It's great to see you post, and I hope you share much
more with us.

God bless,  Joe
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: