AssemblyBoard
April 26, 2024, 03:02:05 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 25
  Print  
Author Topic: SHARING BIBLE VERSES  (Read 223567 times)
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #300 on: December 11, 2008, 12:57:14 am »

While I do agree with you Joe that salvation is instantaneous, I do think the scriptures teach that something is lost if we don't remain faithful. The Land of Canaan was Israel's, now all they had to do was possess it. Yet many tribes did not take possession of what was theirs. The moment we believe God gives us His Holy Spirit and we are righteous. All that is his is ours. But we need to be faithful to trust Him. Lest we do not enter in because of unbelief as most of them did. Today if you hear His voice harden not your heart. Many christians are willing to listen to God's voice. Is all that is God's theirs? Of course. But will they enter in because of unbelief. I think the scriptures teach no.

juststarted----

If you read once again the quote I lifted from the post from the former Assembly member you will see that they are referring to "salvation" and not "rewards".  For example:

"How could anyone who is a thinking person believe from the above scripture that salvation takes place in an instant?"    ---this clearly shows the person does not think salvation is an "instantaneous" happening.

The person also says:

"I am very content that heaven is earned through the degrees of righteousness that each soul has won through many a heartache, toil and tear". ---they are clearly stating that they think that heaven is something that can be "earned" and they also state later "whether I make it or not" as though they are unsure if they have enough "righteousness" to gain entry---they say maybe they will wind up only "just inside the gate".

There is a huge difference between salvation and heaven, and "rewards".  Salvation and heaven CANNOT be "earned" in any way. To think one could wind up "just inside the gate" while others "soar to the heights" is not a biblical teaching at all.  That is teaching that one's own faithfulness and righteousness determine entry (and how far one goes) into heaven.  That is simply an unscriptural teaching.

Due to a scripture that says some will be "saved so as by fire" some have defined that as meaning they will "make it by the skin of their teeth" into heaven.  That is actually quite dishonoring to Jesus Christ---it infers the salvation he bought for us is not full and all-encompassing.  That verse is referring to "rewards"--and yes, the possibility exists of losing something one might have had. These rewards are "crowns"---but one should note that these same crowns are then thrown at the feet of Jesus Christ in adoration.  The sorrow of loss will most likely be not having MORE to give back to Jesus in adoration, and not sorrow over any possession we have personally lost!

What is the reward? It is something we do not deserve either, and everyone will acknowledge on that day that even the rewards received are all because of what Jesus has done for us, not anything we have done ourselves. If we see salvation as "earning more of heaven" then we are pursuing the wrong thing anyway!!  Because Jesus is all we need and he has already bought us with his own blood. The greatest reward will be taking what he has given us and returning it to him in the deepest adoration as He alone is truly the greatest reward of all.

Thereis a huge difference between salvation and one's entry into heaven, and "rewards" received once already there.  I am not saying you believe otherwise juststarted---just want to clarify my earlier post.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 05:51:01 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #301 on: December 11, 2008, 10:51:28 pm »

"After these things the word of Jehovah came to Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram; I am thy shield, thy exceeding great reward". (Gen. 15:1)

" And the LORD spake unto Aaron, Thou shalt have no inheritance in their land, neither shalt thou have any part among them: I am thy part and thine inheritance among the children of Israel". (Numbers 18:20)

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but the last couple of posts got me to thinking more on this subject of rewards, and of heaven and the Inheritance. The original poster I had quoted referred to being in Heaven and being "just inside the gates" or "earning heaven through degrees of righteousness one has won through toil and tears".

One has to ask though what we as Christians are really hoping for? Are we trying to earn (as the poster stated) as much glory as we can (the poster mentioned being 'just inside the gate' or soaring to heights of great glory---or even not making it at all), or looking for some type of heavenly real estate we might gain through our faithfulness? Are we, as the Israelites of old, trying inherit prime real estate for ourselves by entering the Promised Land? 

The Jehovah's Witnesses are looking for a restored earth one day, a "place" they can live in in perfect peace and harmony--that is their hope.  The Mormons are looking to actually become "gods" one day and rule their own planets.  But both of these groups couldn't really care less whether God is there or not---they are "working" for what they consider to be "Heaven"---a reward they are given for faithful service to their God. As far as the Mormons, they will be the 'god' of their own realm anyway, so who needs Jehovah?  My point is---they do not love God---they are working for a "place"--they are striving for a future heavenly "plot" of their own---they love the thought of that plot of heavenly turf---but they do not love the Lord. They love the thought of a heavenly city, but they do not really love the God and the Lamb who actually make up the City!

We as Christians are looking for (or should be looking for) a very different reward. Sure---we joy in thinking of the Heavenly Jerusalem, and it's streets of gold, and the trees of life, and the pure water of life flowing out of the throne of God. But our greatest hope is seeing and being with the Lord Himself!! Without Jesus there, what would heaven really be? Could we really define it as Heaven without Him there?  That is why "salvation" is so precious!!  Is salvation (as the Assembly and some other churches teach) just a "foot in the door"---and it is then up to us to "gain" the rest by our faithfulness? Is "salvation" just an entrance into something we need to maintain through faithfulness or possibly lose?

No- wait a minute! What is salvation?  It is receiving Jesus Christ into YOUR HEART where he will dwell forever and ever!!  When one receives Jesus Christ one has ALREADY received the greatest inheritance of all!!  That is why thinking that salvation is just a beginning, and the rest is up to us, is a totally Christ-dishonoring concept! It says in Ephesians that the Father has ALREADY BLESSED US with every spiritual blessing we will ever need:

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavens, as he chose us in him, before the foundation of the world, to be holy and without blemish before him in love".  (Eph. 1:3)

We have already, as Christians, received the greatest Inheritance of all, and he lives in our hearts by the Holy Spirit. And because we have the Holy Spirit we love Jesus---to us he is "precious"----we don't "work" to "earn" a plot of heavenly land-----we rejoice that we have already received a person who IS Heaven himself.  The rewards we will receive one day---those golden crowns----will be cast at Jesus very feet.  And, as I mentioned in my other post, the "loss" one will feel will be that he doesn't have more crowns to throw at the feet of the Savior. The "rewards" will actually be something we GIVE, not RECEIVE.    Remember as a little child saying "Mommy, can I have a dollar so I can go buy you a birthday present?"  ---same concept actually, on a hugely greater scale. Our rewards are not ours to keep at all--they will be given so we can worship and adore the Lord we love. The only thing we could possibly give is what the Lord has given to us first.

Holy, holy, holy!  Lord God Almighty!
   Early in the morning our song shall rise to thee.
   Holy, holy, holy!  Merciful and mighty,
   God in three persons, blessed Trinity!

Holy, holy, holy!  All the saints adore thee,
   casting down their golden crowns around the crystal sea;
   cherubim and seraphim falling down before thee,
   which wert, and art, and evermore shalt be.

"After these things the word of Jehovah came to Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram; I am thy shield, thy exceeding great reward". (Gen. 15:1)

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 11:06:34 pm by Joe Sperling » Logged
juststarted

Email
« Reply #302 on: December 11, 2008, 11:55:03 pm »

Rev 4:4  And round about the throne were four and twenty seats: and upon the seats I saw four and twenty elders sitting, clothed in white raiment; and they had on their heads crowns of gold. Rev 4:10  The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying, Rev 4:11  Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.
Just for clarification then, are you saying that all Christians are those 24 elders on those 24 thrones.
You have some neat concepts about our rewards being crowns but where do you get that from. I know you quoted a song but can you share with me a scripture. I'm not trying to be argumentative but I need to be shown something I don't understand. That's what always got me in trouble in the Assembly.
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #303 on: December 12, 2008, 12:55:21 am »

juststarted---

You said:
"Just for clarification then, are you saying that all Christians are those 24 elders on those 24 thrones.
You have some neat concepts about our rewards being crowns but where do you get that from. I know you quoted a song but can you share with me a scripture. I'm not trying to be argumentative but I need to be shown something I don't understand. That's what always got me in trouble in the Assembly
".

I do not have a specific verse that says that the 24 elders represent all of the saints
who "cast their golden crowns beside the crystal sea" as the hymn describes.  But I also
do not have a specific verse that says God is a Trinity either (as the hymn I mentioned in earlier post declares)--even though I know and believe God is indeed a trinity. The Trinity is found throughout the NT though never specifically called "trinity".

The 24 elders represent the 12 apostles and the twelve sons of Israel (at least most commentators
believe this to be the case)----whether they are an actual 24 persons, or represent all of the
redeemed saints is really immaterial.  Would not one think that if these 24 (whoever they are) cast
their crowns before Christ in adoration, that any saint wearing a crown would follow suit? It would
seem likely.   Also, there are verses one can look to:

"And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,
And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen". (Rev. 1:6)---He is speaking of ALL believers here-----and kings usually wear crowns, don't they?

Paul also says that the saints will judge angels, and also help judge the world.  Though there is no scripture that says "the 24 beings with golden crowns represent the redeemed", whoever they are, they are taking their own crowns and throwing them at the feet of Jesus in adoration. I believe this represents that even though we are "kings and priests" we will take our crowns and throw them at the feet of Jesus, acknowledging that we did not "earn" this Kingship or Priesthood in any way!!  It is all of Jesus Christ!

It is really not important who they are----what is important is what they do----and they acknowledge that Christ alone is worthy, and they cast what gives them glory (their crowns) at the feet of the supreme Lord of all. I believe this represents what all saints will do when they stand before Christ. They will cast everything at the feet of Christ in adoration, and acknowledge that He alone has done it all---and there is not one thing they could have done on their own to bring him glory.

As far as the rewards being crowns though---read through the New Testament and you will see references to "a crown of glory" (1 Pet. 5:4), a "crown of righteousness" (2 Tim. 4-8), a "crown of life" (Rev 2:10) among others. These are crowns given by Jesus as rewards---check out the verses.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 01:30:10 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
juststarted

Email
« Reply #304 on: December 12, 2008, 02:03:04 am »

I'll have to think about that a little more. Paul say's, Php 4:1  Therefore, my brethren dearly beloved and longed for, my joy and crown, so stand fast in the Lord, my dearly beloved. 1Th 2:19  For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming? Thanks for the thoughts, I"ll have to see if I come to those same conclusions.
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #305 on: December 12, 2008, 02:28:40 am »

I'll have to think about that a little more. Paul say's, Php 4:1  Therefore, my brethren dearly beloved and longed for, my joy and crown, so stand fast in the Lord, my dearly beloved. 1Th 2:19  For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming? Thanks for the thoughts, I"ll have to see if I come to those same conclusions.

Kind of curious that you refer to two verses that do not clearly refer to rewards, whereas the ones I gave
you in my last post most definitely do.  For example, from below: 

"in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing". (2 Tim. 4-8)

I think if you take some time and read up on "rewards" you will see that "crowns" are always mentioned in the
context of the rewards.  But I understand if you want to examine it for yourself--that's a wise thing to do.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 05:19:04 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #306 on: December 14, 2008, 09:38:19 pm »

God is exacting.  One does not get in eternity what they did not earn. 
Good works without inward change are good and honorable, but these kind of works are not works that merit advancement in the inner life kingdom.

[/quote]

"Advancement in the inner life kingdom?!"

In Acts 15:8 we read, "God, who knows the heart, showed that he accepted them by giving the Holy Spirit to them, just as he did to us.  He made no distinction between us and them, for he purified their hearts by faith.  Now, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of the disciples a yoke that neither we nor our fathers have been able to bear?  No! We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved, just as they are."

God has already "purified" the "hearts" at the initial acceptance by God of the sinner when each believer placed their trust in Him---- at least, if you believe what the vs. above is saying.

"But", some may object, "I know that my "inner life" is anything but pure!  Shouldn't we, as disciples, strive to perfect our hearts by entering into the provision of Gods grace in our lives?"  In other words, God has given us grace and it's up to us to make that salvation "real in our lives."

Now, I could go through a whole lot of theological argumentation that explains the difference between the false holiness system of "Advancement in the inner life Kingdom" and what Acts 15 describes above, but to those not yet thoroughly disillusioned with their own strivings to achieve inner purity it would make no difference.

Make your own test:

In order to make this test you must apply the proper standards for inner purity.  This means you must, at every moment, "love God with all your heart, mind, and strength"----- you can never-ever, even for the slightest moment, have a thought of self!  We are talking the kind of pure love that God has----- sinless in it's perfection!

Next, you must be ruthlessly honest re. your ability to keep this perfect standard--- you know, keep a very close watch over, not only what you do, but why you do what you do!  Perfect purity of motives is the object of "advancement in the inner life Kingdom."  

Third, and maybe the most important, learn how to "spiritualize" biblical texts to support your "advancement into the inner life of the kingdom."  This means you must be able to see beyond the plain teaching of scripture in order to capture the "real" meaning behind the words.  When Paul told the Corinthians not to judge others motives, and that he didn't even judge his own, he must have meant something other than what he said.  If you look hard and long enough you can always isolate a text to support your journey to perfection in the realm of your inner kingdom.  God is "exacting", but not when it comes to your bible study; so let your imagination run free!

If, when you make the above test, discover that you do not have a pure heart, and you can't accept what Peter says in Acts 15 re. the free gift of heart purity given by God's grace at reception of the Holy Spirit, there are only two options available to you:

1.) Become a Pretender.  Yes, DeNile is more than just a river in Egypt---- it can be your new life as a bonifide hypocrite! Wink  

2.) Become a really depressed and unhappy person.  This is the result of flunking the test and realizing that all this advancement in the inner kingdom stuff isn't working out as promised.  If you are really committed to not trusting God's grace, and thus are stuck with only these two options, I would recommend that you take the 2ND over the first---- depressed honesty will seek help before the Pretender does.

All of the above is tongue-in-cheek, but the reason I use sarcasm is that it provides a kind of real life slap in the face to the kind of false holiness teaching represented in "the advancement in the inner life Kingdom" stuff.  If we are candid with what actually goes on in our "inner lives", we all know we are anything but pure.

Some will ask re. the above reality, "well, should we just let our sinful tendencies run rampant?---"or, shall we continue in sin that grace may abound?"  We must exert every effort to resist sinful behavior---- we will not be perfect, but we must struggle to yield our actions to righteousness.  This is plain ol' character development and requires disciplined effort that leads to habitual good practice.  The "rewards" for these (outer kingdom) good works are varied and include bringing glory to God's grace---- the demonstration of our salvation to the world around us.

What then should we do with the vast "inner kingdom" of my own soul--- my motives, sinful dispositions, and the like?  Can I somehow, as the quote Joe references, go on a journey to perfection in my inner life?  Can the Holy Spirit totally eradicate all vestiges of the self life and produce a perfect image of Christ within in this life?

God's promise in salvation is that he has already completed our salvation--- all our inner liabilities have been overcome , "but we know that when he appears, we shall be like him---".  This is our future hope and yet to be realized, but it is the promise to every believer.  I think that it is crucial for the believer to trust all their "inner kingdom" to God's grace.  I think you will find that when you are looking within, with an attempt to manage the roots of your soul, you produce the opposite of what God wants.  God intends that we should be looking out in love to others.  Excessive Soul searching leads to a tremendous self centered orientation, but it gives the appearance of a really devoted saint. (at least this has been my own experience).

God Bless,  Mark C.

Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #307 on: December 16, 2008, 01:18:54 am »

I am posting a response to the below posts from another site.  Here are a couple of posts--I'll put a couple of comments in response, then refer to a scripture that I think it is important for all of us to remember:

"Btw.  To my knowledge, George taught exactly what Joe and Mark C are expounding... that a man or woman is saved instanteously by faith (at first light) and that he/she has all that he/she ever needs to inherit eternal life at that moment".

My comment:  Actually George did not teach this at all.  George actually manipulated Romans 8:30 which says that the Christian is ALREADY GLORIFIED (please read the scripture and you will see that glorification is actually in the past tense in this verse).  This did not fit his doctrine of "sonship" and how one could "lose out", so he changed the meaning.  George taught salvation was just a "foot in the door" and that one must "earn" their own glorification through "faithfulness"----his teaching was actually far closer to the doctrine of the person being quoted above. George taught justification was a gift, but sanctification was up to us--a process.

Poster continues:
"WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.   This is why there is so much confusion, depression, sadness, and loss among God's people.  It is like giving a small child a sugar sucker right before dinner.  To teach that you have gained it all at the very moment one is "born again" (falsely used term to begin with), well, it is just too much all at once and it leaves no appetite for the truly nourishing stuff".   

my comment:   "born again is a "falsely used term to begin with"?  The moment Prince Charles was born he became a Prince. If he had died two days later they still would have called him a Prince.  He was born immediately with the right to be called a Prince, and no one could take that away from him.  We as Christians are "born again" and are IMMEDIATELY sons of God--- It is a gift of God.   What happens to a Christian as he grows more mature is that he begins to REALIZE AND ACCEPT what is ALREADY HIS----he does not "earn" anything through sweat and toil.  For "It is God who works in you both to will and do of his own good pleasure".  There may be sweat and toil that comes from God "working out in us" what we already possess, but our own sweat and toil aren't going to "earn" us anything at all!  Prince Charles was Prince Charles from birth----and as he has grown he has learned and taken responsibility for a position that was ALREADY HIS from birth through inheritance.

Poster then says:
"It seems to me that Mark and Joe are continually wanting to convince readers that there is no price to be paid for Glory, honor, and eternal life. Both of them confess a feeble walk with God constantly, yet they continue to confess that salvation is free and that people are given credit for failure and that all will be treated the same regardless of how careless and impure their souls are".

My comment:
"Both of them confess a feeble walk"?   Yes--I guess so.  If I try to do it it is feeble indeed!!  And thank God salvation is free!! I am definitely feeble---to think differently would be to say I think I can do it on my own. Salvation is a gift from God---not anything I could ever earn.  Note: this person rues the thought that all Christians should be "treated the same"---remember this when reading the parable of the workers below.

We need to remember the below parable.  What was Jesus teaching?  Should any Christian expect MORE for their service as the writer above is saying? Should a Christian expect that because they have "sweat and toiled" for 30 years that they should get more than a newborn babe in Christ? Read the parable and then ask yourself again.  Or do we become like the complaining laborers who think they deserved MORE for their service than those hired later?

The Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard
"For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire men to work in his vineyard. He agreed to pay them a denarius for the day and sent them into his vineyard.

"About the third hour he went out and saw others standing in the marketplace doing nothing. He told them, 'You also go and work in my vineyard, and I will pay you whatever is right.' So they went.

"He went out again about the sixth hour and the ninth hour and did the same thing. About the eleventh hour he went out and found still others standing around. He asked them, 'Why have you been standing here all day long doing nothing?'

" 'Because no one has hired us,' they answered.
"He said to them, 'You also go and work in my vineyard.'

"When evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, 'Call the workers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last ones hired and going on to the first.'

"The workers who were hired about the eleventh hour came and each received a denarius. So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive more. But each one of them also received a denarius. When they received it, they began to grumble against the landowner. 'These men who were hired last worked only one hour,' they said, 'and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day.'  (sweat and toil? Degrees of righteousness?)

"But he answered one of them, 'Friend, I am not being unfair to you. Didn't you agree to work for a denarius? Take your pay and go. I want to give the man who was hired last the same as I gave you. Don't I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?'
"So the last will be first, and the first will be last." (Matt 20:1-16)

« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 01:44:21 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #308 on: December 16, 2008, 02:34:01 am »

In regards to the post below, I don't mean to engage in "endless disputings".  But the topic of
salvation, and it's doctrinal meaning is very important---especially when considering the amount
of damage a false interpretation can bring to the hearers.  Those of us once associated with
the Assembly can understand what a burden a "sanctification" which is dependent upon ourselves, and
our own "faithfulness" can be.  It is a salvation with no assurance whatsoever, because any day due to our unfaithfulness, the door could be shut, or we might even one day wind up in outer darkness!

What it comes down to is this:  Is salvation just "a foot in the door", and something we need to "sweat and toil" for through our good works and continuing faithfulness? Is it an Inheritance we can miss out on if we do not strive hard enough? Do we earn it through "degrees of righteousness"? In effect, do we gain heaven through good works?

Or----is Salvation a complete salvation? Is salvation a free gift which LEADS to doing good works, due to the deep thankfulness one has in their heart for WHAT THEY ALREADY HAVE? Are good works the RESULT of a salvation ALREADY POSSESSED, or are good works what "earn" us more of the Heavenly Inheritance in the future?

This is an extremely important question.  One belief leads to a complete lack of assurance, and places everything on OUR own shoulders, as we through our own labors seek to gain a place in heaven.  The other belief gives great assurance and puts everything on GOD's shoulders, and in God's hands, and leads to a great thankfulness and appreciation of the salvation that has ALREADY been given to us as a free gift!    One belief leads to serving God through fear,  while the other belief leads to serving God through love. One belief makes us servants hoping one day to become "Sons", while the other teaching makes us "Sons" ALREADY, and therefore servants to the Lord through love.

Which does the Bible teach?

"Beloved, NOW are we the Sons of God and it doth not yet appear what we shall be, but we know that when he shall appear we SHALL be like him, for we SHALL see him as he is" (1 John 3:2)----is John excluding any Christians from this? Or is he treating EVERYONE equally?

"For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.(Eph. 2:8,9)

"But when the kindness and generous love of God our savior appeared,
not because of any righteous deeds we had done but because of his mercy, he saved us through the bath of rebirth and renewal by the holy Spirit, whom he richly poured out on us through Jesus Christ our savior,so that we might be justified by his grace and become heirs in hope of eternal life. (Titus 3:5-7)

Seems to me salvation is a free gift---something we possess the moment we believe and accept Jesus Christ.  We are "sons" for eternity.  If we live many years the outgrowth of that will become evident----but we will never have "gained more" than we already had when we first believed. Once we see and realize this our joy is renewed, and the slavishness and fear will disappear. We see all christians are equal----why would one WANT more glory than a fellow Christian anyway?  So you can boast? So you can proclaim how faithful and worthy you are?   Read Matt. 20:1-16 carefully----and then rejoice in the gift that is already yours in Jesus Christ!!!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 02:44:31 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
juststarted

Email
« Reply #309 on: December 16, 2008, 11:04:56 pm »

Sounds like a good conversation. What is that other website if I might ask.
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #310 on: December 17, 2008, 12:56:34 am »

just started----

Check your messages.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 01:00:31 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
juststarted

Email
« Reply #311 on: December 17, 2008, 02:36:03 am »

Thanks Joe.
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #312 on: December 19, 2008, 12:37:46 am »

I've been reading through Isaiah in the mornings----at least I've been trying to!   Smiley  I
have been using an old KJV Cambridge Bible I have---the kind with the large blank margins
designed so that one can put notes if desired.  A few days ago I was in chapter 46 and there
was a very small note which read "Promise for Winter Seminar, 'In the Heavenlies', 1978".

I purchased the Bible (according to a note I put in the front) in November of 1978, when Bob Ford
used to run the Book Table in the back of the Women's Assistance League meeting Hall.  But I had
forgotten all about that Seminar--I believe it was based on Ephesians.  But yesterday morning I was
in Chapter 50, verse 7, and there was another note:  "Promise for New Year 1-1-1979". I remember that
verse very well as I asked Rand Bates to draw a picture based on it, which he did, and I still have it hanging on my wall to this day. Many "saints" had "life verses" at that time, and I considered it to be mine.

"For the Lord GOD will help me; therefore shall I not be confounded: therefore have I set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be ashamed". (Is. 50:7)

These verses then follow(very similar to Romans chapter eight):

"He is near that justifieth me; who will contend with me? let us stand together: who is mine adversary? let him come near to me.
Behold, the Lord GOD will help me; who is he that shall condemn me? lo, they all shall wax old as a garment; the moth shall eat them up.
Who is among you that feareth the LORD, that obeyeth the voice of his servant, that walketh in darkness, and hath no light? let him trust in the name of the LORD, and stay upon his God". (Is. 50:8-10)

I just wanted to share the fact that I personally can attest to the fact that God HAS helped me just as the verses say---and all these years later, when I read verse 7, I can say that God has held true.  I may not have kept my part of the promise to "set my face like a flint" at all times (even despite my best efforts   Wink  , but God has NEVER failed of His promise to HELP and UPHOLD me.

Verse 10 says:
"Who is among you that feareth the LORD, that obeyeth the voice of his servant, that walketh in darkness, and hath no light? let him trust in the name of the LORD, and stay upon his God". (Is. 50:10)

It is interesting to read verse 10 and realize that we may be walking with the Lord yet "feel" as though the Lord is completely absent---we may still fear the Lord, but "walk in darkness and have no light".  This may be the case, but the Lord encourages us to keep on trusting Him and staying upon Him even when you are almost sure He has deserted you, or let you down. We always need to remember that He WILL help us, and will never let us be confounded.  As I have stated before, I don't think a Christian of 30 years has "earned" anything more than a newborn babe in Christ has been given--they have been given the same gift.   The advantage the Christian of 30 years has is that he/she can look back and see just how faithful God truly is-----and how He has proven His promises to be true over and over again! Being able to testify to that is truly a reward in itself! 

This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. 
It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed,
because his compassions fail not. 
They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness!. (lam. 3:21-23)

« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 12:51:04 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #313 on: December 19, 2008, 09:27:14 pm »

"Hearken to me, ye that follow after righteousness, ye that seek the LORD: look unto the rock whence ye are hewn, and to the hole of the pit whence ye are digged. 
Look unto Abraham your father, and unto Sarah that bare you: for I called him alone, and blessed him, and increased him". (Is. 51:1,2)

Isaiah is full of promises, comfort and encouragement. Many times the Lord says to his people "But Israel says the Lord has forsaken me". We can often fall into this same sentiment.  But because of that weakness The Lord says such things as "Can a woman forget her sucking child? She may forget, but I will not forget you" and "I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands...you are continuously before me"--The Lord states it is impossible that He would forget his own people. He strongly reminds and encourages to remember he is the INFINITE GOD and has all power at his disposal, and that He knows exactly what is going on, and is fully in control---we just need to trust Him.

And above, in Chapter 51 he says to look back to Abraham and remember. Often, with so very many people on the earth, and also a multitude of Christians, we can perceive ourselves as insignificant. "What difference can I make"? we may ask.  We're prone to think that back in the days of Abraham God was far more personal---because there were far less people God was watching at the time.  Grin  Some are prone to think:  "He may have dealt with Abraham in that special way, but there are so many Christians now---how could I matter as much to God as someone like Abraham did back in those days?"

But the Lord tells Israel to remember that He "called Abraham alone"--I believe the Lord is asking us to remember that everyone he calls is "called alone"---He has a special, real purpose for each of us---he "calls his sheep by name and leads them to pasture". We are part of a "church", but each of us is uniquely special to God:

"To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth [it]". (REV 2:17)

We are each so unique to Jesus that one day He will give us a name that only He and each of us who receives it will know---no one else. There may be a thousand "Al Smith's" in the world, but Jesus has His own special name for each "Al Smith" that believes in Him.  We need to remember that--that right now, at this very moment, Jesus has his eyes on you---and He has his own special name for you. He has called you alone and dearly loves you--and he will never fail you or forsake you.

And Jesus desires to give you that white stone so much that He alone has provided the way for you to be the very overcomer he mentions just above (funny how we sometimes perceive God as someone who wants to hold things back, rather than someone who greatly wants to bless us):

"For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that has overcome the world-our faith (note that John says that our faith HAS overcome the world). Who is the one who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?" (1 John 5:4,5)

Do you sincerely believe Jesus is the Son of God, and died for your sins? Have you asked Him into your heart? Then there is a white stone waiting in heaven for you with your new name on it! And there is a loving Savior longing for that eternal day when he can give it to you!   Cheesy

« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 05:54:01 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #314 on: January 05, 2009, 10:59:12 pm »

"No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD."  (Isaiah 54:17)
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 25
  Print  

Jump to: