AssemblyBoard
April 19, 2024, 02:16:17 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 25
  Print  
Author Topic: SHARING BIBLE VERSES  (Read 222796 times)
vernecarty
« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2005, 06:32:47 pm »

yet you certainly are showing a pretty bad side of yourself.

Sondra

Oh really? It seems as if I'm just being the person you and your side-kick have labored to diligently to portray on you website. Let me remind you of your description.
A man who indicts innocent pastors and single handedly destroys  churches.
A man who goes from church to chuch trying to stir up who-knows-what.
A man who is a murderous hater of God's people, and throws out wild accusations without a shred of evidence to warrant it.
What did I miss? Oh yes - A man who (gasp!) has a problem with the fact that he is a black man from the Caribbean, and is striving ever so hard to make himself intellectually acceptable in the company of white men.
(that by the way, was one of the lowest blows you have delivered for you know better)

You ought to go visit the West Indies sometime. You might be quite surprised that what you find there.

So you see, this nothing at all new, for you have already told everyone this is who I was. Why the surprise?
Verne

p.s. I'll be honest. You know why I turned on you Sondra?
It was not that I was any more offended than usual about your slanderous comments.
You have been at it since your website launched.
It was the way you insulted other board members.
First you disparage Marcia from participating in the discussion as if you had any exclusive right to conversation on the board. I tried to diplomatically nip that in the bud but you just did not seem to get it.
Then you claimed you were taking your marbles and going home. Why didn't you?
We all would have been better off don't you think?
You added insult to ijury by telling her to "study- up". You know what? She is sounder in the faith than you can ever hope to be.
The final straw was your calling some folk on the BB "groupies".
You supposedly came to the BB in the first place to recover your injured honor...right!
That was in my book a declaraton of war. I had had enough.

p.p.s As I said before, you are vulgar, vicious and violent.
So am I.
The difference?
You spend most of your time trying to pretend that you are not.
How's that for transparency?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 10:39:00 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2005, 03:47:37 am »

The Message Bible

2 Corinthians 3: 1-3

But for right now, friends, I'm completely frustrated by your unspiritual dealings with each other and with God. You're  acting like infants in relation to Christ, capable of nothing much more than nursing at the breast. Well then, I'll nurse you since you don't seem capable of anything more. As long as you grab for what makes you feel good or makes you look important, are you really much different than a babe at the breast, content only when everthing's going your way?

CEV:

My friends, you are acting like the people of the world. That's why I could not speak to you as spiritual people. You are like babies as far as your faith in Christ concerned.
So I had to treat you like babies and feed you milk. You could not take solid food, and you still cannot because you are not yet spiritual. You are jealous and argue with each other. This proves that you are not spiritual and that you are acting like the people of this world.

NLT:

Dear brothers and sisters, when I was with you I couldn't talk to you as I would to mature Christians. I had to talk as though you belonged to this world or as though you were infants in the Christian life. I had to feed you with milk and not with solid food, because you couldnt handle anything stronger. And you still aren't ready, for you are still controlled by your own sinful desires. Youare jealous of one another and quarrel with each other. Doesn't that prove you are controlled by your own desires? You are acting like people who don't belong to the Lord.

KIND OF MAKES YOU THINK!

Lenore
tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2005, 04:09:17 am »

Titus: NKJV

Titus 3: 8-11

This is a faithful saying, and these things I want you to affirm constantly, that those who have believed in God should be careful to maintain good works.
These things are good and profitable to m en.
But avoid foolish disputes, genealogies, contentions, and striving about the law, for they are unprofitable and useless.
Reject a divisive man after the first and second admonition
Knowing that such a person is warped and sinning being self condemned.

tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2005, 08:53:46 am »

Book of Jonah

I believe we can glean from the lessons from the book of Jonah in light of this website.

In reviewing the story:

God order Jonah to go to Nineveh to warn them about an impending destructions for their wickedness.

Jonah ran away, was swallowed by great sea creature, spend three days, humble himself before God, God rescue him from the creature. God sent Jonah right back on his original mission to Nineveh. Nineveh repented and God spared the city.

In Chapter 4 we see Jonah pity party.

v2...For I know that You are a gracious and merciful God, slow to anger and abundant in lovingkindness. One who relents from doing harm.

v4: Then the Lord said. Is it right for you to be angry.

v5: Jonah went out city to see what God will do to the city.

v6: God made a plant for Jonah for shade.
..So Jonah was very grateful for the plant.

v7 & 8 God caused the plant to die, and an eastern wind and hot sunny day was beating down on Jonah head, causing him to suffer under the elements.

v9: Then God said to Jonah,
Is it right for you to be angry about the plants.

v10: But the Lord said. You have had pity for the plant for which you have not laboured, nor made it grow, which came up in a night, and perished in a night.

v11: And should I not pity Nineveh.

The lesson we can learn from Jonah.
God has created each and every one of us. God has created each of us unique, with different finger prints, different heart beats, different DNA genetic markings.
God has a plan for each and every one of us, God loves each and every one of us. God has no favourites.

God has a job for each of us to do.  God wants us to depend on him whereever he has place us at the time. 
It doesnt matter our circumstances, our issues, our emotional make up, our physical condition, our gender, our race, our culture etc. God will use all of that every single inch, every single experience, every single skill, at every time and place all our spiritual journey.
God will use us and give us opportunities to be used.
God will use our walk, God will use our talk. for his purpose and glory.

If we get off the beaten path, God will wait for us to return. The message of the prodigal son is an illustration of this. If we align our will with God Will, we will have the freedoms and peace knowing we are intimately connected to God.   If we disobey God , by saying I am not going to what you asked me to do, because it means going beyond our comfort zone, we are we going to run to. God knows where we are , we can't hide from God. God wants to use us.
God teach us to depend on him and when we sufficiently humble ourselves to do the purpose God has for us. God will take us right back to the place when we gotten off in wanting our own way. We must obey God in the way and time that God wants us to do.
Even if it is not comfortable.

Like Jonah we can have our own pity party, want to run, want to sit down and watch, wanted to have a tantrum because we didnt get our own way.
It is amazing God still provides. As we give to God his due sovergnity worship and praise. We can see the greatness of God in all things.

John 15: 12:

THIS IS MY COMMANDMENT, THAT YOU LOVE ONE ANOTHER AS I HAVE LOVED YOU.

John 15:17

THESE THINGS I COMMAND YOU, THAT YOU LOVE ONE ANOTHER.

Lenore
Recovering Saint

Email
« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2005, 09:03:57 am »

Proverbs 12

1 Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid. 2 A good man obtains favor from the LORD, but a man of evil devices he condemns. 3 A man is not established by wickedness, but the root of the righteous will never be moved. 4 A good wife is the crown of her husband, but she who brings shame is like rottenness in his bones. 5 The thoughts of the righteous are just; the counsels of the wicked are treacherous. 6 The words of the wicked lie in wait for blood, but the mouth of the upright delivers men. 7 The wicked are overthrown and are no more, but the house of the righteous will stand. 8 A man is commended according to his good sense, but one of perverse mind is despised. 9 Better is a man of humble standing who works for himself than one who plays the great man but lacks bread. 10 A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast, but the mercy of the wicked is cruel. 11 He who tills his land will have plenty of bread, but he who follows worthless pursuits has no sense. 12 The strong tower of the wicked comes to ruin, but the root of the righteous stands firm. 13 An evil man is ensnared by the transgression of his lips, but the righteous escapes from trouble. 14 From the fruit of his words a man is satisfied with good, and the work of a man's hand comes back to him. 15 The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice. 16 The vexation of a fool is known at once, but the prudent man ignores an insult. 17 He who speaks the truth gives honest evidence, but a false witness utters deceit. 18 There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. 19 Truthful lips endure for ever, but a lying tongue is but for a moment. 20 Deceit is in the heart of those who devise evil, but those who plan good have joy. 21 No ill befalls the righteous, but the wicked are filled with trouble. 22 Lying lips are an abomination to the LORD, but those who act faithfully are his delight. 23 A prudent man conceals his knowledge, but fools proclaim their folly. 24 The hand of the diligent will rule, while the slothful will be put to forced labor. 25 Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad. 26 A righteous man turns away from evil, but the way of the wicked leads them astray. 27 A slothful man will not catch his prey, but the diligent man will get precious wealth. 28 In the path of righteousness is life, but the way of error leads to death.

These are words of Solomon the wisest man in the World until Christ. May they bring wisdom to us all today.

Hugh
tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2005, 04:10:53 am »

James chapter 2:  From the Message Bible
{please check these verses out in what ever translations you are comfortable with, I just find the Message Bible very interesting}

V1: My dear friends, don't let public opinion influence how you live out our glorious, Christ originated faith.

V5: Listen, my friends , isn't it clear by now that God operates quite differently ?
He chose the world's down and out as the kingdom's first citizens, with full rights and privileges. This kingdom is promised to anyone who loves God. And here you are abusing these same citizens!

V8: You do well when you complete the Royal Rule of Scriptures.
"Love others as you love yourself. But if you play up to these so called important people, you go against the Rule and stand convicted by it. You can't pick and choose in these things, specializing in keeping one or two things in God's law, and ignoring others.

V12: Talk and act like a person expecting to be judged by the Rule that sets us free. For if you refuse to act kindly, you can hardly expect to be treated kindly. Kind mercy wins over harsh judgements every time.

James 1: 1 to 12

Lenore
tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2005, 06:43:21 am »

Exodus 20: 1-17

V 16: NKJV:

You shall not bear false witness against your neighbour.

Matthew 5: 21 - 26

Vs 21-22: NIV

You have heaard that it was said to the people long ago.
Do not murder and anyone who murders will be suject to judgement.
But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgement. Again anyone  who says to his brother, "Raca" is answerable to the Sanhedrin.
But anyone who says, "You fool" will be in danger of the fire of hell.

Matthew 5: 23-24 The Message

This is how I want you to conduct yourself in these matters. If you enter your place of worship and about to make an offering, you suddenly remember a grudge  a friend has against you,
abandom your offering, leave immediately, go to this friend and make things right.
Then and only then come back and work things out with God.

John 7:24: NCV

Stop judging by the way things look, but judge by what is really right.

Lenore
vernecarty
« Reply #112 on: June 01, 2005, 03:17:06 pm »

Hi Lenore:
I am sure everyone enjoys reading the Bible verses you are posting.
I assume that you have a reason for posting the particular verses that you are, but since they are being posted without any comment or context whatsoever, I am wondering if you are just concerned that some of us may not be getting in our daily Bible reading.  Smiley
It helps to keep in mind that discussion, is the thing that makes the BB interesting, not merely one-sided posting.
Verne
M2
« Reply #113 on: June 01, 2005, 05:06:30 pm »

Hi Lenore:
I am sure everyone enjoys reading the Bible verses you are posting.
I assume that you have a reason for posting the particular verses that you are, but since they are being posted without any comment or context whatsoever, I am wondering if you are just concerned that some of us may not be getting in our daily Bible reading.  Smiley
It helps to keep in mind that discussion, is the thing that makes the BB interesting, not merely one-sided posting.
Verne

Actually Verne, I am not enjoying them at all.
It looks like a veiled message to particular individuals or a particular individual, without having to say directly what one means.  It is quite tiresome actually.  On the other hand these particular verses may be because she feels guilty for calling Brent a name and is admitting her sin.  We can read all kinds of meanings into this eh?
The other set look like she feels that someone is being influenced by public opinion.  We can speculate who the someone might be and find the deeper meaning in all of this (this is not directed at you Sondra).
Happy mourning time!!

Marcia
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 05:09:36 pm by Marcia » Logged
M2
« Reply #114 on: June 01, 2005, 07:02:00 pm »

Honestly Sondra, us Canadians spend hours discussing the fact that you guys have cornered the title of 'Americans'.  After all we're all in North America aren't we?  Until some Canadian spoils the fun of the discussion by saying something like, "Well what do you want them to call themselves?  U.S.ians?" Smiley

Re. Canadians taking over, do you know some identities of annonymous posters or something?  You can PM me. Wink  Grin Looks like the females are taking over eh??

True, we may all want the Lord's best.  But I do not appreciate dishonest means of getting it.  When someone is dishonest then I have a problem with that person's dishonesty.  I can disagree with an honest person, but when someone dishonestly handles the Word, which is what I see happening here, then ....

Also some people like to preach 'at' people rather than have an honest discussion about their disagreements.  They are afraid of being influenced and then they might even have to change their minds and admit that they were wrong after all.  I had this happen to me when I left the assembly and I only bring it up again because I am getting tired of the fact that my own opinion is often brushed off as loyalty to another, or being influenced by another, or you name it.  When I left the assembly people were possibly quite surprised that one who was so committed could leave, so one sister told me that I had been influenced by a man, and not God(which was their perspective you see).  This is the same attitude that Lenore is displaying, because I had been a good friend to her so how could I now side with Brent against her on this matter?  So she resorts to veiled messages by mishandling the Word of God. Tongue

Marcia
tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #115 on: June 01, 2005, 08:40:03 pm »

Marcia,

Say, just a quick question.  Why don't you Canadians call yourselves Americans since you are in North American continent?  Why wouldn't you be called North Americans and how come US isn't called North Americans too?  Or why isn't the US call Mid-America?  Second question.  Is it still ok for US Americans to post on this board?  It would seem that the Canadians are taking over around here.  Kiss Cheesy

Thanks for the clarification, Marcia.  I am still a little "gun shy."  Actually, I probably would have wondered since you mentioned "deeper meaning" - but on the other hand I guess I may just have to try to give the benefit of the doubt.

Lenore, I want to say something about The Message Bible.  It is a Bible, of course, but could better be called a Bible Book.  You probably already know what I'm sharing here, but for the benefit of all....  The MB is like the Living Bible.  It is a paraphrase rather than a translation which means that it obscures terminology and some implications of the text.

Do we always need to be technical where it comes to Bible reading/use?  Sometimes it is enjoyable and profitable to just scan through and read fast and get the general "feel" for what the text is saying.   But I am concerned that by picking out a few verses to share in a focused way that the paraphrase may offer inaccuracy and does not stand as a good tool for reproof or instruction - if that was the intent.

And this is just my opinion, Lenore, dear, but I think that when one pulls out 3-5 Bible verses from various other passages and sort of "glues them together" - it almost forms a new passage which has the effect of working like a hammer on people.  Scripture in context can be very instructive and helpful to the ear of the hearer.....and in the genius of the Holy Spirit's choice of arrangement of scripture, there is almost a built in grace that is wrapped around the reproof - like a pill inside cupcake, so to speak.

Btw.  To all - Even though we have our differences, I do believe that each child of God DOES WANT THE LORD'S BEST in their lives unless otherwise clearly proven to be contrary.  The evidence: Ongoing selfishness, IMO.  But even a flicker can be fanned into a flame.  When it comes to paying the price for that best, that seems to be where there are different measures of sacrifice and we all fudge a bit at one point or another. 

But I think most of God's people truly love Him and are looking for answers.  All of us still have a measure of self-pleasing in us, but we are working on that to His glory.  The desire is there, but the understanding or processing of Truth is often lacking.  If it were that easy, more people would be hitting homers and not struggling so much.  There are some commonly known Truths that children know. Then the "wayfaring" find that what used to be easy is no longer easy.  "Going on to PERFECTION" clearly implies a new level.  A new level, a new devil.     (Don't give 'em an inch - give them an inch - next thing you know they will have their head in your frig. looking for a snack.  They make themselves at home real quick). Smiley

Sondra

Hi Sondra: I respect your concern.
I know that the Message is a paraphrase.  It is just an interesting way of looking at the verses differently.
I have been praying about these verse and am being led to contribute these verses on the AB.
I just hope that when I share these verse, that those reading them would go to their own Bibles and look up the passages from them selves, to see the truth for themselves.
Not just the verse, but the passages that surrounds the verse, even the chapters before and after.
My intend is to just share.
I dont believe I have an altered motive.

VERNE:
If you want to use it as a daily devotional be my guest. If you want to discuss a point you see , I am willing.

SONDRA: I do appreciate reading the way you see things. It makes one think.
I am not trying to confuse people with the different translations, they are just tools to give one a different perspective on the verses, different way of thinking, just like the handbooks, commentaries, bible studies, are to motivate us to dig into God's truth a little deeper.

I remember 5-6 years ago , I was at the home of a former pastor, doing a bible study, I gave the usual lip answer to a question. I was asking why, on my answer, the usual because the Bible said so, is not enough of an answer for why you believe.
Yes the gospel message is very clear, but to some their spiritual eyes are clouded for what ever reasons, including Christians , whether new borns or stagnated, or just comfortable of what they have been taught all their lifes.  We all should be answering the questions, why do we believe the way we do.

About 10 years ago, I was involved in a year long video series from FOCUS ON THE FAMILY
'THAT THE WORLD MAY KNOW"
It was a historical looked at the cultural of the events of the Bible with a modern day application.
That the way I can describe it.  It was very detailed art work.
This series has motivate me like no other, to get into the history. It open my eyes like no other to cultural of that time. It open my eyes to what some of the passages of the Bible was speaking of, because the Bible is written for us, but it was not written to us.
It was written to the people of the times  and culture identification of the words.

If you ever have a chance to get that series video, or attend a bible study on that series.
It is a wonderful, way of opening up the BIBLE.

This is why I like the different translations. They all have a different slant on some of the word.
The Message is a "BLunt-type of a Bible" with the words.[SORRY TO BRING THIS UP}]
It is just an interesting way of putting the words of scripture. The meaning is still there especially when you compare it to the NIV, NKJV,. Our church uses the NIV, it is slowly converting to the NLT.  Alot of the elderly generation still uses KJ, and some uses the ASB.
I have a parallel New Testament, which has 8 translations in it.
including KJ, NCV, CEV, AS, NIV, NKJV, NLT and the Message.
It is just fun to see what all the different versions are saying.

It is up to us all, to review our own Bibles to what ever reference is shared on the AB, to check out God's truth for ourselves, and to digest this truth, under the power of the Spirit of God, not because some one has shared it.  This is just being a good disciple of our own Christian Walk.
Or am I wrong in this assessment.

Lenore

vernecarty
« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2005, 09:32:59 pm »

I have been praying about these verse and am being led to contribute these verses on the AB.

I am glad that you are praying about what you are doing Lenore.
I would ask this simple question.
You stated you are being led to post the verses in the manner that you have - how and by whom do you believe you are being led?

I just hope that when I share these verse, that those reading them would go to their own Bibles and look up the passages from them selves, to see the truth for themselves.
Not just the verse, but the passages that surrounds the verse, even the chapters before and after.
My intend is to just share.
I dont believe I have an altered motive.

If  your intent is to share in a contructive way, then you would be willing to respond to expressions of concern with your approach voiced by your readership don't you tnink?

VERNE:
If you want to use it as a daily devotional be my guest. If you want to discuss a point you see , I am willing.

Not particularly to be quite frank Lenore. As a regular reader of the BB, I was just trying to establish what your purpose was in the particular verses you were posting. Your explanation so far strikes me as disingenuous.
As to discussing a point with you, that is exactly what I am attempting to do... Smiley
Verne

p.s.The video series you mentioned, That the World May Know is an excellent one. Ray Vanderlaan is a truly gifted teacher of the Scriptures...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 10:41:56 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2005, 12:37:35 am »

To Verne & Sondra:

I want to thank you both, for your directness, yet compassionate way of telling me of your opinion of way I bring out the verses I share.

I guess I do go a little overboard, even though I dont drive, I probably have a heavy foot if I did .

So I will try to soften my approach, and if I slip from time to time, forgive me if I havent quite got ahold of the knack of it.

I really like to write, but I do need an editor. Once I write something, I either wont see or cant see it. So editing is appreciated it.

Saying that:

In the scriptures, in one of Paul's letters, he says I became ....to minister to......

The question open for discussion is {I hope I am not opening up a panadora's box]

Was Paul an isolationist or mingler in his CHristian walk?

Which is better for your Christian walk?
--to be an isolationist, wrapping yourself in exclusively Christianity like a protective cloak
--be part of the community, seasoning yourself with the knowledge of both Christian and society's world.

Which one would be more affective in ministry for the Gospel of Christ?

p.s. I have no underhanded motive.  I am just asking and hoping to generate an honest intellecutal discussion.

Please state why or why not's with your viewpoints...

My viewpoints:
I believe it is more effective, and beneficial to be knowledgeable in God's world, and the scriptures, because that will give you the anchor you will need to face world of your community.
You need to be in the community, with non christian people, so you can minister to them, with both your knowledge and your example.  WALK THE TALK.
I dont believe Walking the talking is being a Christian snob either, I believe you need to geniune care for people, whether it is alcoholic, or the single parent, elderly street person, or ones who are dealing with what ever life they are struggling with.
I remembered when I taught Pioneer Club [I taught for 9 years], I was a single parent who other single parents , and the children from the single parents, could identify with.
I didnt judge them for the choices they made. I accept those children, as innocent and trusting and very willing to learn about the stories I had to tell about Jesus.
I was rewarded during those 9 years , 3 young children coming to know the Lord, at least 3 I am aware of. I think of these children constantly.  I am a very good Christian Educational Teacher of young children.  This made me realize, that my position in life, was being used by God, to draw other of similar positions especially the children, that would not have heard the gospel news how Jesus loved them any other way.  Some of my teaching methods, was very childish, but it drew the attention of those children. They learned their memory verses, and learned how to pray. Although my church was a Baptist church, most of the children came from the catholic school across the street. If a child came up with a catholic traditional, like asking for prayer for a long dead relative, that child never saw.  I did not judge them. I turned the prayer around to pray for the child who heart was concerned over that matter. It was also a good thing my assistant came from a Catholic background, so she could teach me of some of the things I was taken by surprised, Children are so honest, open, trusting, innocent. ALthough some of those children are struggling with life, that would break most adults. Since prayer meeting was meeting at the same time as the children was downstair. The prayer meeting people upstairs had the names for every child down stairs to pray for them, and their families.
This is my reason why it is better to know and be apart of your community. You dont know when you will be asked to be used by God, within that community. God takes every experience, knowledge and skill, and used it for his glory.

I hope I wasnt too heavy.  Some times when I start to write, it just pours out of me like water.

Have a good day and evening. 

It is humid and hot in Arnprior. I have been sunburned the last couple of days. I put in a garden at the community garden yesterday. Today I had to walk all over the town doing the usual monthly errands.  Tonight I have to go into the city to the sleep lab for some tests.

Tomorrow after I am discharged, I am going to see the GRANDCHILDREN.
BEING GRAMMIE IS A BLESSING THROUGH AND THROUGH, AND A JOY.

Lenore
M2
« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2005, 12:59:28 am »

Unfortunately, Sondra, you missed the essence of what I was saying.
Re. Canadian readership - probably my IP address. Smiley
Re. veiled - not direct, as in hammering someone indirectly, so that there could be that element of doubt.  I am a straightforward blunt approach type of person and have great difficulty reading between the lines.  Though evidently I could figure out that some of those verses were for me, would it not be honest to just say so.  If it was for the whole board then that would be a different matter would it not??  Do you know that almost every word in this post is a word used in the Bible.  It would be quite dishonest of me to then say, "this is God's word for you" wouldn't it??

I did not say 'I went out to her and now look what...'  I said that it likely seems incredulous to her that I should side with another since we were good friends, so...
The whole point was that it is convenient to brush off another's opinion by discrediting the person in some way or another.

You do have a point about being influenced, however.  People are often influenced by how others treat them.  So yes, I am guilty of labelling another's perspective to 'influence by..'.  Definitely, the regulars and I had some very 'animated' disagreements in my annonymous days on this BB, so to then say that I was influenced by ... Huh In those days I was more influenced by Al's perspective, because he still had his assembly foggy slant on certain things.

Doesn't everyone know who L is directing the comments toward just as in Mark's and Brent's discussion ??  although I do think there was a deliberate attempt on Mark's part, as he even confessed, to hide an "entreaty" behind a pretense of sharing scripture interpretation or objective, non-related "Bible Study."  Brent doesn't do well with pretense, obviously.  He is a full "TULIP" on being clear, direct, and forthright.  Wouldn't you agree  Wink  (The acronyms don't work do they?)  I think this is such a hot offense on this board because of how ministry in the Assembly was sometimes directed toward a person who could not talk back....so it felt an awful lot like judgment instead of communication. .....

I beg to differ here on certain points in the paragraph I quoted.
Some people, which may include you Sondra, are way too sensitive.  E.g. I felt the need to qualify that I was not addressing you when I used the phrase "deeper meaning" today.  We've had this problem on another matter too, but hopefully that has been settled now.

Yes, most discussions can be triggered by happenings on this BB.  However when the person says that it is now an impersonal discussion, clear straightforward and blunt, why would you have cause to think that the person is lying or pretending or... ??  You made it a judgement instead of a communication by not accepting the individual's word.

God bless,
Marcia
tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #119 on: June 12, 2005, 11:17:04 pm »

Some Bible Verses for you to spiritually chew on!

But be sure to fear the LORD and serve him faithfully with
    all your heart; consider what great things he has done for
    you.

1 Samuel 12:24
Acknowledge and take to heart this day that the LORD is God
    in heaven above and on the earth below. There is no other.
    Keep his decrees and commands, which I am giving you today,
    so that it may go well with you and your children after you
    and that you may live long in the land the LORD your God
    gives you for all time.

Deuteronomy 4:39-40

Rejoice greatly, O Daughter of Zion! Shout, Daughter of
    Jerusalem! See, your king comes to you, righteous and having
    salvation, gentle and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the
    foal of a donkey.

Zechariah 9:9

Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son
    of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes in him
    may have eternal life. For God so loved the world that he
    gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him
    shall not perish but have eternal life.

John 3:14-16

Now about the dead rising - have you not read in the book of
    Moses, in the account of the bush, how God said to him, "I
    am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of
    Jacob"? He is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

Mark 12:26-27

Who has measured the waters in the hollow of his hand, or
    with the breadth of his hand marked off the heavens? Who has
    held the dust of the earth in a basket, or weighed the
    mountains on the scales and the hills in a balance?  Who has
    understood the mind of the LORD, or instructed him as his
    counselor?  Whom did the LORD consult to enlighten him, and
    who taught him the right way? Who was it that taught him
    knowledge or showed him the path of understanding?  Surely
    the nations are like a drop in a bucket; they are regarded
    as dust on the scales; he weighs the islands as though they
    were fine dust.  Lebanon is not sufficient for altar fires,
    nor its animals enough for burnt offerings.  Before him all
    the nations are as nothing; they are regarded by him as
    worthless and less than nothing.  To whom, then, will you
    compare God? What image will you compare him to?

Isaiah 40:12-18

Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each
    other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous
    man is powerful and effective.

James 5:16

I lift up my eyes to the hills - where does my help come
    from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and
    earth. He will not let your foot slip - he who watches over
    you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel
    will neither slumber nor sleep. The LORD watches over you -
    the LORD is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not
    harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The LORD will keep
    you from all harm - he will watch over your life; the LORD
    will watch over your coming and going both now and
    forevermore.

Psalms 121:1-8

Be careful that you do not forget the LORD your God, failing
    to observe his commands, his laws and his decrees that I am
    giving you this day. Otherwise, when you eat and are
    satisfied, when you build fine houses and settle down, and
    when your herds and flocks grow large and your silver and
    gold increase and all you have is multiplied, then your
    heart will become proud and you will forget the LORD your
    God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of
    slavery.

Deuteronomy 8:11-14

Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be
    willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be
    conceited.

Romans 12:16

Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen one in whom I
    delight; I will put my Spirit on him and he will bring
    justice to the nations. He will not shout or cry out, or
    raise his voice in the streets. A bruised reed he will not
    break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out. In
    faithfulness he will bring forth justice; he will not falter
    or be discouraged till he establishes justice on earth. In
    his law the islands will put their hope.

Isaiah 42:1-4

Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, at the renewal of
    all things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne,
    you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones,
    judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And everyone who has
    left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or
    children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times
    as much and will inherit eternal life."

Matthew 19:28-29

A man of knowledge uses words with restraint, and a man of
    understanding is even-tempered. Even a fool is thought wise
    if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue.

Proverbs 17:27-28

Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves
    wealth is never satisfied with his income. This too is
    meaningless. As goods increase, so do those who consume
    them. And what benefit are they to the owner except to feast
    his eyes on them? The sleep of a laborer is sweet, whether
    he eats little or much, but the abundance of a rich man
    permits him no sleep.

Ecclesiastes 5:10-12

Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come
    after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and
    follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it,
    but whoever loses his life for me will find it."

Matthew 16:24-25

Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear
    fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you
    bear fruit unless you remain in me. I am the vine; you are
    the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will
    bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.

John 15:4-5

Looking at his disciples, he said: "Blessed are you who are
    poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.  Blessed are you who
    hunger now, for you will be satisfied. Blessed are you who
    weep now, for you will laugh.  Blessed are you when men hate
    you, when they exclude you and insult you and reject your
    name as evil, because of the Son of Man.  "Rejoice in that
    day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in
    heaven. For that is how their fathers treated the prophets.

Luke 6:20-23

The City of the LORD, Zion of the Holy One of Israel.
    "Although you have been forsaken and hated, with no one
    traveling through, I will make you the everlasting pride and
    the joy of all generations. You will drink the milk of
    nations and be nursed at royal breasts. Then you will know
    that I, the LORD, am your Savior, your Redeemer, the Mighty
    One of Jacob. No longer will violence be heard in your land,
    nor ruin or destruction within your borders, but you will
    call your walls Salvation and your gates Praise. The sun
    will no more be your light by day, nor will the brightness
    of the moon shine on you, for the LORD will be your
    everlasting light, and your God will be your glory. Your sun
    will never set again, and your moon will wane no more; the
    LORD will be your everlasting light, and your days of sorrow
    will end.

Isaiah 60:14-16, 18-20

But no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full
    of deadly poison. With the tongue we praise our Lord and
    Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in
    God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and
    cursing. My brothers, this should not be.

James 3:8-10

I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have
    learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know
    what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have
    plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any
    and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether
    living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him
    who gives me strength.

Philippians 4:11-13

The mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life, but
    violence overwhelms the mouth of the wicked. Hatred stirs up
    dissension, but love covers over all wrongs. Wisdom is found