AssemblyBoard
April 19, 2024, 04:30:34 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Repentence Meeting  (Read 10617 times)
Kevin Healy

Email
« on: January 12, 2003, 12:32:07 pm »

The Fullerton assembly leadership must respond immediately regarding the issues surrounding the abuse of Judy Geftakys.

I would like to hear from any and all as to the best way to approach this horrendous situation. My personal recommendation would be an open meeting by January 19th, where all past and present saints could participate in an open forum so that all information could be shared with honest confessions, contrite hearts and a full hour of prayer and petition...it will only be then when forgiveness and healing can take place.  Anything less than this would be sinful and shameful for all those who continue to participate in this ministry.
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2003, 08:28:16 pm »

Hi Kevin and Others,
  My thoughts re. a repentance meeting are mixed as I wonder exactly what is being repented of.
   Many of us left long before any of the Dave G. stuff came to light.  It seems that the David G.  issue and GG alone are the subject of repentance and that the deeper issues re. Assembly abuse are not being addressed.
   I can just imagine a repentance meeting with all effected parties being invited and then some "Assembly Elder" standing up and telling the offended what topics will be allowed to be voiced and what will not be allowed.
   Imagined meeting:
  "Dear Brethren, we will not allow dear Saints to be attacked in this gathering as it needs to be in the spirit of forgiveness that we address this situtation.  Also, many of you left out of bitterness and resentfulness over imagined abuses that never occoured.  Those who have told lies and attacked this ministry over the years will not be allowed to speak!  We will only allow those who have actually been abused via the Dave G. situation to speak or pray and that if they do so in the right spirit.  We, the leadership, have forcefully and directly dealt with the issue and the offenders have fully repented and been forgiven.  We will not allow any to examine our process of correction for the offenders nor any further critique of "This Ministry" that God has raised up as a standard of great renown.  Please understand that we reject any notion that "This Ministry" is based on heretical teaching or any abusive principle's.  We deny any claim that we teach anything out of the pale of orthodox evangelical instruction, or that we dealt dishonestly and abusively in the past.  Any evidence from "This Ministry" that appear in written form of the above were due to editorial errors, or a taking out of context by the listners.  Any report of abuse (other than Dave G.) come from those only interested in pulling down this great work of God and as such are inspired by the Devil."
  "Okay, that being said let us begin the repentance meeting.  The offended will be given the first 10 min. slot while the Assembly Leadership will take the following 20 minute portion and the concluding 1 hr ministry.  Of course our dear (now repentant) Bro. GG will take this last slot.  It is so wonderful to see God working in our midst and so pleasant for us to all dwell in unity.  At the conclusion of the meeting we will all meet for kool-aid where the grievers will be asked to partake first." Grin
   I'm sorry; does this seem a bit cynical? Wink
      God Bless the truly repentant,  Mark C.
editor
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2003, 09:47:41 pm »

Mark,

I think you have it pretty good.  The false teaching alone, is more than enough to warrant exposure.  The false teaching led to and bred abuse.

My thoughts on the whole topic are that if a few people geuinely repent of their part in the abuse, IE cowardly silence, lie and cover-up, then enough light will come in to open people's eyes to all of the other things.

Can you imagine the Assembly without worker's meetings?  Also, when they want to force everyone into "all day for the Lord," what if the few remaining people say, "No, I don't see that in the bible..."

I think that repentance in this area will lead to repentance in others.  

However, the flip-side of this is that if they compromise in their "repentance," they will compound the judgement against them.  Really, we are on a razor's edge right now.

All you sheep, who are still there wondering what is going on, take heed to the words of our Lord Jesus,  Mat 15:14  Let them alone. They are blind leaders of the blind.  And if the blind leads the blind, both will fall into a ditch.  This is not a suggestion, or rhetorical statement by the Lord, no, this is a command, given in the emphatic imperative, the strongest possible voice.

The question is, what more proof do you need?  Will you listen?

Brent
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2003, 10:17:18 pm »

Brent,
  Yes, we have focused on the blatant sin and ignored the subtle; yet the subtle is more dangerous than the blatant and that is because it is less likely to be dealt with.
  Like a snake in the grass the subtle issues ignored will prove the most dangerous!
   I just listened to the last message I preached in the Valley due to Eric getting hold of a copy of it.  After listening to it I was amazed at how benign my message was (it was also a clear indication of why I should not be a public speaker Roll Eyes).  I remembered it as a bold statement and a calling of the Valley to change their evil ways.  I also remembered the Bro. who followed with his message as a personal attack against me.  By listening to the tape you would not think any of the above.  My message would sound like a typical Assembly devotional talk and the following Bro. like a rallying cry to stand fast in the victory.
   However, the subtle hidden messages were all understood by those present.  While I preached the meeting was as silent as a tomb.  I remember the Big Potatoe (Tim McCarthy) sitting with his arms crossed and glaring at me (he understood my meaning).
    When Mitch followed me it sounded like a holy roller gathering with all the jubliant cries of "praise the Lord", etc.  After the meeting a sister came up and asked me why Mitch thought I was of the Devil.
    The double-meanings and twistings are so numerous that to untie the knot they have made in the Assembly would defy anyone's skill to repair.  Can those who have gone against their conscience for so long ever face these things and get clear of them?  With God these things are possible, but to me true repentance would seem like trying to get the proverbial camel through the eye of the needle.
   I pray and hope for the best, but I will not attend a meeting as I described in my previous imagined meeting, nor will I drink any of their kool-aid. Wink
                                      God Bless,  Mark C.
Peacefulg

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2003, 11:48:54 pm »

Hi all, a meeting would be nice, but like a few of you have hinted this more than likely will not take place.

What a shame, since the judgement has already begun.  If all those that fail to take advantage of the MERCY God is showing in allowing them THIS time to repent and get/make things right they have a greater judgement coming.  It is hard to even begin to comprehend the judgement they will receive in the next life for not taking hold of God's Grace and Mercy shown in being exposed and having this window to get right.

To all who need to repent heed this, it is better to fall upon the Rock and be broken than for IT to fall on you and be ground to dust.  

Do not do like some of the Kings of Israel and hold on to the bitter, but do like King David and what we see in Psalm 51, David saw that the Lord was not only going to and was judging him, but that had been given a chance to obtain Mercy.

Lastly, here is my encouragement for those that need to repent.  He hath shewn thee, O man, what is good: and what doth Jehovah require of thee, but to do justly, and to love goodness, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8   Amazing that the old/long follower still needs to remember the simplicty in how they started.  I pray you all remember before it is to late.

Lord Bless,
George Allen

editor
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2003, 07:31:38 am »

Hi Verne

check out the Latest, on the main webpage.  The problem we are having, at GA.com, is that we get conflicting accounts from a variety of people.  worse yet, many of the people who are telling us things insist that we don't post them, or let anyone know who they are.  The ministry is not talking.

Unfortuantely, this is business as usual.  I fear I must now use the other hand.  I really don't want to expose any more of this darkness, but believe me, there is plenty more to expose.

I hope that Assembly folks read this. Keep in mind, the only reason any "repentance" is taking place is because they are forced to do so!  People have brought this knowledge to them for years, and only now are they admitting to SOME of it!

This is absolutely horrible.  I have other information, regarding George's past, that is much worse than this.  I don't want to share it, but something tells me I must.  I'll know more on Saturday, when the SLO brothers are supposed to "make it right with me."

Brent
Eulaha L. Long

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2003, 09:23:43 pm »

Brent,

I hope the leadership will really mean what they say when they "make it right" with you.  I never thought I'd see the day when that would happen!
retread

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2003, 01:03:25 am »

We shall have to wait and see if true repentance has come.  We know there has been an acknowledgement of guilt (which is the first step).  But time will tell if there are "fruits meet for repentance".  Of course it looks bad if the leadership only acknowledges their sin when it is brought to the light by others.  I think of the Pharisees and the Sadducees, although they came forward to John to be baptized, John said "O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?".   Then John told them to "Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance".  I take it that Dan Notti's stepping down from leadership is an acknowledgement of his sin.  Now, there are things that Dan and the others can do to show the "fruits meet for repentance".  This isn't too difficult to figure out.  I am sure that if the repentance is true, we will soon see these fruits begin to emerge.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2003, 01:05:06 am by retread » Logged
freebird

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2003, 12:17:08 pm »

Retread.....I noticed a funny:

I am sure that if the repentance is true, we will soon see these fruits begin to emerge.
retread

Email
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2003, 12:27:16 pm »

Retread.....I noticed a funny:

I am sure that if the repentance is true, we will soon see these fruits begin to emerge.

It must be getting late!  Smiley
freebird

Email
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2003, 12:30:01 pm »

yes
amycahill

Email
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2003, 10:31:28 pm »

The Fullerton assembly leadership must respond immediately regarding the issues surrounding the abuse of Judy Geftakys.

I would like to hear from any and all as to the best way to approach this horrendous situation. My personal recommendation would be an open meeting by January 19th, where all past and present saints could participate in an open forum so that all information could be shared with honest confessions, contrite hearts and a full hour of prayer and petition...it will only be then when forgiveness and healing can take place.  Anything less than this would be sinful and shameful for all those who continue to participate in this ministry.

I think it's wonderful you want to do something for Judy.  She has been horribly abuse and her case demands justice be served.

I want to suggest some things that I feel are a little more practical than a big prayer meeting.
  • Legal steps SHOULD BE TAKEN.  Of course, this is up to Judy (and Rachel), but I think David should be prosecuted.  A better use of guilty leading brothers is as witnesses in that trial.
  • Judy needs financial help.  She was being supported by the ministry and had to flee from it for her very life.  Not her fault.
  • Judy needs counseling.  Someone has to pay for it.  I think it should come out of, maybe not the LB's pockets, but if you can get George to pay, that would be ideal.  According to his teachings, she IS his daughter-in-law.
These are just thoughts.  I have no doubt that there are better alternatives, but I strongly feel that things should proceed along this line.

What I'm trying to say is that a prayer meeting might help you feel better, but it won't directly give Judy what she needs.  I mean, you can pray that God will give Judy a fish, but isn't it better if you go to the supermarket, buy some nice salmon, and give it to her? Wink

God bless,
Amy
amycahill

Email
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2003, 10:33:51 pm »

Hi Kevin and Others,
  My thoughts re. a repentance meeting are mixed as I wonder exactly what is being repented of.
   Many of us left long before any of the Dave G. stuff came to light.  It seems that the David G.  issue and GG alone are the subject of repentance and that the deeper issues re. Assembly abuse are not being addressed.
   I can just imagine a repentance meeting with all effected parties being invited and then some "Assembly Elder" standing up and telling the offended what topics will be allowed to be voiced and what will not be allowed.

Your imagined meeting was humorous.  I could also see it actually happening, though.  Scary.
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2003, 11:13:40 pm »

Hi Amy!
  You are going way-back with this post of mine as it dealt with a period that has now passed.  The repentance meeting that I was referring to was re. an opportunity lost by Assembly leaders (now stepped down leaders Huh).
  There seems to be a great reluctance for those Assemblies still continuing as Geftakys light to face the deeper issues that I mentioned.  These deeper issues are what allowed GG to get away with covering up his son's abuse and his own phillandering.  The more time that passes the more difficult it will be for the likes of WLA, Placentia, Fullerton, and others to deal with the roots of Geftakysism.
  It would seem that a lust for power and control of some leaders is more important than serving Christ, and this raises serious questions as to their true character(MT. 23?)
                                      God bless,  Mark
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: