AssemblyBoard
April 23, 2024, 01:32:27 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Praying "Out Loud"  (Read 8375 times)
Eulaha L. Long

Email
« on: February 06, 2004, 05:48:03 am »

When I was in the Assembly, I remember there being quite an uproar about praying "out loud"-especially at the prayer meetings.  I remember feeling ungodly because rarely could I muster the courage to pray in front of the whole group.  I thought I sounded uneducated, and my prayers definitely weren't as elegant as some of the other members.

I did get in some practice time, however, during morning devotions (when I lived with the Saints).  There, I didn't feel so much pressure, and I could pray from the overflow of my heart.  Wasn't too elegant, and a lot of times the prayers were unintentionally long-winded Roll Eyes, but at least I was doing it...right??

What does anyone else have to say regarding praying "out loud"?
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004, 06:02:17 am »

Forcing it kills the meaning behind it? The thought that everyone must experience God through the same methodology of action is a defining flaw of the Assembly system?  I never felt comfortable praying out loud in front of tons of random people either?  

Quite a few things can be said about it Roll Eyes

As for elegance, God isn't exactly listening to you audibly Wink

--
lucas
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 06:06:38 am »

Forcing it kills the meaning behind it? The thought that everyone must experience God through the same methodology of action is a defining flaw of the Assembly system?  I never felt comfortable praying out loud in front of tons of random people either?  

Quite a few things can be said about it Roll Eyes

As for elegance, God isn't exactly listening to you audibly Wink

--
lucas

Yeah, but did anyone ever hear someone pray during worship who wasn't as elegant as the rest of the "saints" and have a feeling of superiority? Ever think maybe that that person wasn't quite as far along in their "walk with the Lord" or maybe not quite up to snuff?

Yeah, me neither.  Embarrassed Huh

S
Recovering Saint

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 06:46:44 am »

I feel good [dah dah dah dah dah]
So good
So good [dah - dah - dah - dah - dah]
W - O - W
Watch me now.

Ed Sullivan announces for us. The following was an all night of prayer when James Brown visits the Assembly. A really big show tonight. On our stage we have the three long winded sisters followed up by the dynamic brothers. Lets hear a hand now for them.

Yup praying out is a big show for many and nerve wracking for others. I did it and thought it was what really spiritual people did but now I figure God is not into show business just into reality of the heart. Is it right, for some yes but not for everyone. Why everyone has to be cookie cutter Christians is a mystery to me. Why did God make us all unique and then say but that is sin brother/sister you need to do it the biblical way? Who says the way you teach about prayer that that's the only way? I see lots of things in the bible. Do we do them all? I don't think so, because they were meant for a specific reason. I now have come to see that there are many people in the body of Christ who would never be accepted in the Assembly, because they do it differently and that's why I believe there are different Christian churches to help them grow in the way God wanted them to.

Lord bless

Hugh Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 07, 2004, 03:08:13 am by Hugh » Logged
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2004, 07:13:26 am »

I was at a teen outing in 1984. Most of us were from the Tuscola/Champaign assemblies. There were a couple kids invited from St. Louis and one from Chicago for a weekend campout.

One of the guys from St. Louis was kind of creepy. One night we had a time of prayer around a campfire. The guy took a turn and was very elegant. Awesome, textbook Assembly prayer.

After the meeting another teen from Tuscola whispered to me, "Man, I didn't think _______ had much of a walk with the Lord, but after hearing that prayer I'd have to say I was wrong. Man."

Turns out the guy from St. Louis was a child molester.

S
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2004, 07:26:35 am »

If "Pray without ceasing," meant oral prayer, we would all starve to death.  Praying aloud has its function.  Our Lord did it.  But centering one's life upon Christ will result in a life of constant prayer, only a small portion of which can be uttered.

al

Eulaha L. Long

Email
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004, 07:29:46 am »

I got a lot of grief from a couple of the leading brothers because I did not pray out loud at the worship meeting.  It was if I really was not worshipping God because I did not open my mouth... Huh Huh Huh
Kimberley Tobin
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2004, 02:26:26 am »

About the last couple of years, I just couldn't pray out loud.  I felt like such a hypocrite.  I didn't want to pray the "eloquent" prayers of the main people who prayed (you know who they are in your locality).  I just wanted to go in my quiet closet and cry out to God.  

You know......isn't there something in the bible about praying........ummmmm.........you know......the pharisee praying and the little guy in the back even unwilling to lift his eyes heavenward?HuhHuh  Hmmmmmmm Wink
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2004, 03:01:57 am »

You know......isn't there something in the bible about praying........ummmmm.........you know......the pharisee praying and the little guy in the back even unwilling to lift his eyes heavenward?HuhHuh  Hmmmmmmm Wink

hehe, nice! I love it!!! Wink

--
lucas
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: