AssemblyBoard
April 30, 2024, 08:14:20 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone know...  (Read 13030 times)
danoble1

Email
« on: January 22, 2004, 10:37:03 am »

John Hinman, Danny Edwards, Roger Grant, Janine Dube, Kathleen Dube, Reggie Sanders, Jim Hayman....

I stumbled across this website a couple of days ago and flood of memories came back.  There are many other faces I recall, but can't remember first and last names. Pam ? Kim ? Mike ? It was nearly 20 years ago.

My experience with the assembly is not quite as extensive as others. It started in 1981. I was enrolled at OCC and found this awesome bible study. I was a babe in Christ. Tim Geftakys was leading at the time. He led my brother and I through the anchors.
I was at OCC from 81 - 83 then transfered to UCI. I was there from 83 - 86. During those years I attended campus bible studies and prayer meetings, seminars in Fullerton and a leadership retreat. I also attended several bible studies, prayer meetings, outreaches and sunday gatherings in Huntington Beach.
I really loved the people I met. I envied their desire to serve the Lord. They had such zeal and honesty. Also at the back of my mind was the thought that everything is not exactly right here. It feels overly structured, legalistic at times.
I struggled. I was attending a mainline church in Costa Mesa (not Calvary). I felt that the Lord wanted me to stay in the church where I was at. "What about these christians?" I would ask. "They seem to have something that most churches lack. Shouldn't I stay with them? Won't I be missing out? I am just lazy. I don't really want to take up the cross. I am taking the easy way not the narrow way!" These thoughts prevailed in my conscious for years. I never forgot a verse that Jim Hayman shared with me. Hebrews 10:32
"But call to remembrance the former days, in which, after ye were illuminated, ye endured a great fight of afflictions"

I graduated from UCI in 1986. I lost contact. I forgot. Then I found the web site Assembly Reflections. Wow! What happened? How did this happened? It sickened my heart to read some of the accounts from Rachel and Judy G., the abuses of GG and Betty and the demise of the assemblies. The assembly wasn't a bad experience for me. They taught me many lessons about my walk with the Lord that I have not forgotten.

The reason for the email... I attended college with the ones I mentioned before. I just wondered what happened to them.
M2
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2004, 11:33:21 am »

I know some of individuals you listed. HB has disbanded, so I think that most from there have had to find other church homes. Chicago continues to meet. Jim Hayman is no longer meeting with the Fullerton assembly which is down to 50-60 people. All very nice people. You were associated with the assembly for 5 years, but your relationship was on an 'association' basis from what I gather. The accounts on the web-site are true, but in some small details, may not be 100% accurate. You might be able to find more info about individuals on this BB via the search feature.

Lord bless,
Marcia
brian

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 05:41:09 pm »

John Hinman, Danny Edwards, Roger Grant, Janine Dube, Kathleen Dube, Reggie Sanders, Jim Hayman....

welcome! i'm glad your experience 20 years ago was a positive one. more positive experiences in the world is a good thing!

you can find information concerning some of the people you have asked about by clicking on the Search button at the top of the page, and entering their names.

brian
editor
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 09:13:43 pm »

I stumbled across this website a couple of days ago and flood of memories came back.  There are many other faces I recall, but can't remember first and last names. Pam ? Kim ? Mike ? It was nearly 20 years ago.

My experience with the assembly is not quite as extensive as others. It started in 1981. I was enrolled at OCC and found this awesome bible study. I was a babe in Christ. Tim Geftakys was leading at the time. He led my brother and I through the anchors.
I was at OCC from 81 - 83 then transfered to UCI. I was there from 83 - 86. During those years I attended campus bible studies and prayer meetings, seminars in Fullerton and a leadership retreat. I also attended several bible studies, prayer meetings, outreaches and sunday gatherings in Huntington Beach.
I really loved the people I met. I envied their desire to serve the Lord. They had such zeal and honesty. Also at the back of my mind was the thought that everything is not exactly right here. It feels overly structured, legalistic at times.
I struggled. I was attending a mainline church in Costa Mesa (not Calvary). I felt that the Lord wanted me to stay in the church where I was at. "What about these christians?" I would ask. "They seem to have something that most churches lack. Shouldn't I stay with them? Won't I be missing out? I am just lazy. I don't really want to take up the cross. I am taking the easy way not the narrow way!" These thoughts prevailed in my conscious for years. I never forgot a verse that Jim Hayman shared with me. Hebrews 10:32
"But call to remembrance the former days, in which, after ye were illuminated, ye endured a great fight of afflictions"

I graduated from UCI in 1986. I lost contact. I forgot. Then I found the web site Assembly Reflections. Wow! What happened? How did this happened? It sickened my heart to read some of the accounts from Rachel and Judy G., the abuses of GG and Betty and the demise of the assemblies. The assembly wasn't a bad experience for me. They taught me many lessons about my walk with the Lord that I have not forgotten.

The reason for the email... I attended college with the ones I mentioned before. I just wondered what happened to them.

Hi Danoble

By staying on the fringes, you probably got quite a blessing.  Interesting that your conscience was telling you to be careful....obviously your wisdom was greater than you realize.

Here is a little info about some of the people you mentioned:

John Hinman---I have no info, sorry.
Danny Edwards----married Kimber, and lives in San Luis Obispo.  He turned out to be a pretty class act for a full-time worker.   Do a search under his name and learn more.  He attends a great church here in SLO and is doing well.

Roger Grant---I have no info, but he is mentioned in several articles on GA.com

Janine Dube----she is married to Mike Almanzor, and they comprise the Riverside cult, where George still preaches and teaches.  Very tragic, sad and dangerous.

Kathleen Dube----no info

Reggie Sanders----no info

Jim Hayman----Marcia answered this one.   My heart goes out to Jim, as I see in him a man who really did/does have gift.  Jim could have been a powerful minister of the gospel.  Perhaps he still can?  Of course, there is much to sort out and re-learn.  George ruined a really good man.  (my opinion)  You could probably find him in the phone book in the Fullerton area.

Brent

Kimberley Tobin
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2004, 09:27:38 pm »

From what I understand John Hinman and family moved to the San Diego/Oceanside area, almost right after the Huntington Beach assembly disbanded.
d3z

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2004, 10:06:55 pm »

From what I understand John Hinman and family moved to the San Diego/Oceanside area, almost right after the Huntington Beach assembly disbanded.
Actually, to Carlsbad, but close enough.  As far as I know, John still is teaching where he was before.  Sounds like a terrible commute.

Kathleen Dube is married to Ted LaBelle.  They were in Huntington beach, but I don't know what they're doing now.  They were trying to start an assembly in Long Beach, but never satisfied GG enough to make it an official assembly.  It was always just an "outreach".
outdeep

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2004, 12:29:16 am »

Hi Danoble,

We probably crossed paths.  I went to OCC from 1978-1980 and was involved in a campus ministry there with Joie Amison (now Slack) and later Rick Samuel.  I was in HB until about 1982-3, went to CSULB with Perry Minimede and John Hinman (and a host of others).

Yes, John is making his commute from Carlsbad to Compton.  Got a great Christmas e-mail from them.

Earl Sommerville lives in the inland empire.  Last I heard, he was an elder at a Calvary chapel.  Steve Irons lives in Orange and is an elder at his church.  Tony Geresek is doing well.  I think he is in Irvine area.  Daughter Eden lives in the Los Angeles area.

Steve Arlow died a few years ago in a plane crash (sad).  His funeral was an incredibly good testamony.  Shirley Sasaki lives with her husband in Huntington Beach.  I see her husband Steve's name alot on an e-mail Christian writers group I belong to.

Bob Anderson moved near me in NC for a brief time, but now moved back to Fullerton.  Last I heard, Bob Thompson was teaching Biology in Whittier.  Haven't heard from Frank Frendle (Focus) in years.  I think they moved away from Anaheim.  Rick Samuel and his wife Donna lives in the Costa Mesa/Newport Beach area - very much a respected witness on his job.  I heard Chris and Sue Sapia commute to the Placentia Assembly.  I assume they still live in Long Beach, but havn't talked to them in years either.  Dan and Tina (Suzukamo) Reinhart still live in Huntington Beach as well.

I'm surprised that I can't place you.  Perhaps you were getting more involved about the time I moved to Fullerton.

Lord bless,

-Dave Sable
danoble1

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2004, 09:49:42 am »

Thanks to all who replied.
Brent,
Yes  I did receive quite a blessing from the ministry. That is why I was saddened by all the bad news. Danny Edwards was the first person I met in the Bible study at OCC. I always thought he was a great guy and a dear brother in the Lord. I agree with you about Jim H. I can remember he and I had several conversations after the Bible studies at OCC. I am particularly sad about Janine. She and I were both Biology majors at UCI. We took a lot of classes together. I remember she had a real heart for the Lord.

Dave Sable,
We might have crossed paths. A lot of names you mentioned sound familiar. I'm having a hard time putting names and faces together. I found a found a group picture from the leadership conference I attended in 85. I will email it to you. Perhaps you can help with some names.
When I attended UCI John H. was leading the Bible studies there. Roger, Janine, Pam ? (from Bakersfield), and I were regular attendees. I enjoyed John's leadership. I remember having dinner over his house one evening. As I recall he and his wife were in charge of a sisters house. I also remember getting very sick the next day. Maybe it was the cooking? Where does Earl live? Do you know what Calvary he attends? I am currently attending Calvary Chapel Menifee. (Inland Empire)

David Brown,
John lives in Carlsbad? That's not too far from me. Where does he teach? I remember Kathleen from OCC. She and her sister were both runners.

I like this BB. A lot of lively discussion. I will try in to stay in touch.

Lord Bless you all.

In his name,
Daniel Noble
Jem

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2004, 11:59:20 pm »

Hi Dan,

You want the straight skinny on the Hinmans? We do indeed live in Carlsbad. And Yes, John does communte to Compton. He loves Compton. He loves LA and SD and everything in between (that would be OC). He is home most evenings by 5:00 so don't feel too sorry for him about the commute. He knows a teacher who commutes down to San Diego from Carlsbad and they have about the same commute time. It is America's finest city, but the traffic is the worst!!!!

We are glad to be out of the assembly. The years you mentioned you were in fellowship I also remember as being very blessed. Things certainly changed. We hung on too long when we saw problems. We were hoping for change. It has been a year since HB disbanded and in that year our eyes were opened to just how wrong a lot of assembly practices were. We are still learning things; I think we will for years to come. Someone at our church recently refered to us as victims of a cult. I corrected them. I said, "Our kids may be victims, but I was just a fool."

So Dan, what about you. I think we ran into you at South Coast Plaza a few years back. You were either engaged or just married I think. Am I right? Any kids? Oh, and sorry about the dinner. I hope I've become a better cook Wink

Lord bless--Jem (Wendy Hinman)
editor
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2004, 02:46:05 am »

Hi Dan,

You want the straight skinny on the Hinmans? We do indeed live in Carlsbad. And Yes, John does communte to Compton. He loves Compton. He loves LA and SD and everything in between (that would be OC). He is home most evenings by 5:00 so don't feel too sorry for him about the commute. He knows a teacher who commutes down to San Diego from Carlsbad and they have about the same commute time. It is America's finest city, but the traffic is the worst!!!!

We are glad to be out of the assembly. The years you mentioned you were in fellowship I also remember as being very blessed. Things certainly changed. We hung on too long when we saw problems. We were hoping for change. It has been a year since HB disbanded and in that year our eyes were opened to just how wrong a lot of assembly practices were. We are still learning things; I think we will for years to come. Someone at our church recently refered to us as victims of a cult. I corrected them. I said, "Our kids may be victims, but I was just a fool."

So Dan, what about you. I think we ran into you at South Coast Plaza a few years back. You were either engaged or just married I think. Am I right? Any kids? Oh, and sorry about the dinner. I hope I've become a better cook Wink

Lord bless--Jem (Wendy Hinman)

What a surprise!

Wendy, please feel free to share more on the BB.  I know everyone would love to hear what you have to say.

Brent
danoble1

Email
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2004, 08:09:19 am »

Hi Wendy,
I apologize, no it wasn't your cooking! It was my feeble attempt at some humor.  Embarrassed Anyways, yes I am married (10 years this August) and we have 2 beautiful little girls. We recently moved to Murrieta and now fellowship at Calvary Chapel, Menifee. Dave Sable tells me Earl Sommerville attends CC Menifee also. I will have to look him up.
You say John commutes to Compton? Is he a teacher? If so, what does he teach and where exactly in Compton? I am a teacher. I've been teaching science in the public schools going on 17 years.
I sent Rick Samuel and Dave Sable a jpeg of a group photo from a leadership conference I attended in 1985. Can I send it to you? I am sure you will get a kick out of seeing some old familiar faces. Can I give you guys a call sometime? It would be neat to talk to you.

Lord Bless,
Daniel Noble
psalm51

Email
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2004, 08:49:51 am »

Wendy,
It is so great to hear from you here! I would love to hear from you personally.
Pat
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2005, 03:23:35 am »

RICK YARBLONSKI, ATTENTION RICK YARBLONSKI !! Please report to the Assembly Board main
menu to General Discussion immediately. Report to "Any and All Topics" and proceed
directly to "The Bold and the Fearful" Thread. Your Bluntness has been found and
is at the front desk. Please report immediately. Lost items are only held for 24 hours
and then are either donated to charity or destroyed. If you are to fearful to report to pick
up your bluntness, a bold person can be assigned to pick up your bluntness for you. If
anyone sees Rick Yarblonski in one of the other threads, please relay this important information
to him.

Thank You.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 05:01:45 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2005, 05:51:31 am »

Uh....Excuse me. I'm Rick Yarblonski. I heard an announcement and thought maybe..uh..
perhaps I should come to see what this is all about. Could I please, I mean if it's all right
with you, I mean... I don't want to take up much of your time... maybe get my bluntness
back...I mean..I didn't really realize I had lost it until I heard the announcement anyway.

Please, don't look at me like that. I have several problems I have been dealing with lately,
no, no, really, I'm actually not quite well in the head. My psychotherapist said it's all from
stress, and because my inner child is so very unhappy. Why won't you just give it back to
me? Why are you toying with me like this? I didn't come here to be attacked by you, and
you are just adding to my suffering. OK, keep my bluntness then you awful person. I hope
I never see you again!!!  (storms off)

"Excuse me!! Sorry about that, I had to finish that phone call first. Don't you want your bluntness
back?? Mr. Yarblonski!!!!???"  Yarblonski is already out of the thread and heading to some self-help
thread he saw  in another area.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 05:54:05 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2005, 03:27:47 am »

Hi. I'm Harold. I'm a bit embarrassed, but figured I'd come to the "Does anyone know" thread,
because I seem to have misplaced my vehicle. It is a 2001 Green Toyota Corolla, License plate
DRS 675(California). I became disoriented after coming to the Bulletin Board, and only remember
possibly entering the "Any and All topics" area---after that, it's all a blur. If you happen to see the vehicle, be so kind as to make sure the lights have been turned off, and let me know where it is.
There is a large Burger King Whopper on the passenger seat--please do not eat it, because I am totally famished having suffered this ordeal.

Thank you so kindly,

Harold Mopsley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: