AssemblyBoard
April 19, 2024, 06:09:58 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: USA(aka Texas)/Canada  (Read 58627 times)
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2004, 01:52:05 am »

Hugh---

I took the test twice. First time 3 out of 10. Second time 6 out of time. I guess I don't know much abooot
Canadians.

--Joe
summer007

Email
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2004, 02:38:00 am »

Hugh, Not to Gloat  or go too far off the subject ,but its a sunny 73 degrees right now at the beach where I currently live and Yes I did drive with the Top down in my convertable this weekend ...all the LA traffic and smog is truly worth it...besides the Coast usually has pretty good air quality...we've dropped to 40 a couple of times this winter...thats above zero...my kids think its freezing...ha.I did visit Canada once for the World Expo in Vancouver BC very nice...
Oscar

Email
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2004, 04:20:57 am »

Hugh---

I took the test twice. First time 3 out of 10. Second time 6 out of time. I guess I don't know much abooot
Canadians.

--Joe

Not to worry you probably just need some Tim Hortons coffee. That always makes me feel great.  Grin

Tim Hortons are now owned by Wendy's and believe it or not Tim Hortons outperformed even McDonalds for profit in Canada.

Come to Ottawa some time and see the longest outdoor skating rink at our February Winterlude Festival.

Huh?

I always thought that Canada was the world's longest outdoor skating rink.  

Thomas Maddux
summer007

Email
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2004, 09:46:08 pm »

Do you ride around in Bobsleds up there???
summer007

Email
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2004, 10:26:32 pm »

Thanks Hugh..that site is Amazing I want to go Dog Sledding and or Mushing whats the difference??? I 've seen the Itorod races and always thought they were very Radical...Also the Snow Mobiling Bridges look like alot of fun..Its Absolutly Beautiful up there...I'm getting jealous!!!
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2004, 02:33:49 am »

Chuck Shepherd's News of the Weird (.831)
WEEK OF JANUARY 11, 2004

Compelling Explanations

Timothy Paul Kootenay, 43, jailed in Aspen, Colo., in November on a California warrant for probation violation, said he would fight extradition on the ground that he is a citizen of the notorious "Republic of Texas" and that, actually, Aspen and Vail are located on a sliver of land that is also part of the Texas nation. Kootenay's separatist colleagues (some of whom have taken up arms) believe that Texas was never legally annexed by the United States and is thus a sovereign nation that should respond only to international law. [Aspen Daily News, 11-19-03]

Grin Grin Grin
Oscar

Email
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2004, 03:26:02 am »

WEEK OF JANUARY 11, 2004

Compelling Explanations

Timothy Paul Kootenay, 43, jailed in Aspen, Colo., in November on a California warrant for probation violation, said he would fight extradition on the ground that he is a citizen of the notorious "Republic of Texas" and that, actually, Aspen and Vail are located on a sliver of land that is also part of the Texas nation. Kootenay's separatist colleagues (some of whom have taken up arms) believe that Texas was never legally annexed by the United States and is thus a sovereign nation that should respond only to international law. [Aspen Daily News, 11-19-03]

Grin Grin Grin

And why not???

After all, North America is merely a county of Texas.

We could raise a batallion from Ottowa, Texas, or maybe San Luis Obispo, Texas. Wink

Osama Ben Bedsheet is in big trouble...he forgot about DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS.

Tom

Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2004, 03:41:26 am »

WEEK OF JANUARY 11, 2004

Compelling Explanations

Grin Grin Grin

And why not???

We could raise a batallion from Ottowa, Texas, or maybe San Luis Obispo, Texas. Wink

Tom

I didn't think it would take long for you to respond to that! Grin

Did you see the History Channel special on the "true" history of the Alamo? Pretty good. The movie is due out soon.
Oscar

Email
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2004, 04:04:34 am »

WEEK OF JANUARY 11, 2004

Compelling Explanations

Grin Grin Grin

And why not???

Tom

I didn't think it would take long for you to respond to that! Grin

Did you see the History Channel special on the "true" history of the Alamo? Pretty good. The movie is due out soon.

Scott,

I don't have cable, so I don't usually see what is on the cable channels.

However, I am familiar with revisionist history, including that concerning the Alamo.

The problem with the Alamo story is that the few sources we have tell different stories.  Some say Santa Ana had 12,000 troops, some say as few as 3,000.

The Mexican version says Davy Crockett was captured trying to hide and was shot while begging for mercy.

The Texan version says he died heroically after killing 1,325,975,226 Mexicans with his bare hands.  

The Mexican version is more likely true since there were no witnesses on the Texan side that survived the battle...one woman survived but was inside a building and couldn't see anything.

Whatever happened, a few weeks later Santa Ana ordered General Cos to execute all the prisoners from Goliad...so they took them out in groups of 25 and shot them.  Over 250 men if I recollect correctly.

A few weeks later Houston surprised Santa Ana's army WHILE THEY WERE TAKING A SIESTA IN THE PRESENCE OF HOUSTON'S ARMY!!!!!

Of course, Santa Ana was busy in his tent with the Yellow Rose of Texas.  (note for the benefit of Canadians... that wasn't a flower)

Thomas Maddux
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2004, 06:12:17 am »

Hugh---

I'm beginning to know a little bit more abooot Canada since I have continued to take the "test" you gave us the link to. The Mackenzie River is the longest river in Canada. Garneau was the first Canadian in space.
Another thing I was totally unaware of was the fact that in Canada as in the U.S. when you see a goose it's a goose, but more than one is geese. But in Canada a moose is a moose, but more than one is meese. I had never realized that that was the case.
"Look at those meese" a Canadian would say. I'm really learning a lot There is a Sperling, Manitoba in Canada with a population of 700. So, I'm also related to several Canadians. Well, gotta go take the test again. I got an 8 out of 10 my last try. Cheesy

take care,  Joe
M2
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2004, 01:52:29 am »

Canadian Temperature Guide

50° Fahrenheit (10° C)
Californians shiver uncontrollably,
Canadians plant gardens.

35° Fahrenheit (1.6° C)
Italian cars won't start,
Canadians drive with the windows down.

32° Fahrenheit (0° C)
American water freezes,
Canadian water gets thicker.

0° Fahrenheit (-17.9° C)
New York City landlords finally turn on the heat,
Canadians have the last barbecue of the season.

-60° Fahrenheit (-51° C)
Mt. St. Helens freezes,
Canadians Girl Guides sell cookies door to door.

-100° Fahrenheit (-73° C)
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole,
Ottawa canal opens for skating.

-173° Fahrenheit (-114° C)
Ethyl alcohol freezes,
Canadians get frustrated when they can't thaw the keg.

-460° Fahrenheit (-273° C)
Absolute zero; all atomic motion stops,
Canadians start saying "cold eh?"

-500° Fahrenheit (-295° C)
Hell freezes over,
Leafs win Stanley Cup
Mark Kisla
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2004, 08:57:34 am »

Hugh---

Canadians.

--Joe

Not to worry you probably just need some Tim Hortons coffee. That always makes me feel great.  Grin

Tim Hortons are now owned by Wendy's and believe it or not Tim Hortons outperformed even McDonalds for profit in Canada.

Come to Ottawa some time and see the longest outdoor skating rink at our February Winterlude Festival.

BTW the weather is brutal tonight and tomorrow.

Tonight .. Clear. Wind northwest 30 km/h gusting to 50 diminishing to 20 this evening. Low minus 30. Extreme wind chill minus 43.
Wednesday .. Sunny. Wind northwest 20 km/h becoming light late in the morning. High minus 23. Extreme wind chill minus 43 in the morning.
Nothing like a coffee and donut from Tim Hortons.( former Toronto Maple Leaf defenseman who was killed when he wrapped his muscle car around a tree in 71-72. No other Proffessional athletes franchise ever had the success of Hortons
Recovering Saint

Email
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2004, 06:23:06 pm »

Dead Sea Scrolls on display here at the Museum of Civilization.

So far  40,000 people have viewed them in the short time they are here. I guess people are more interested in the Bible and its manuscripts than some think.

If you come up this week to Ottawa I suggest you make plans to see them.

Hugh Shocked
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 08:33:59 pm by Hugh » Logged
lenore
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2004, 08:48:52 am »

http:// Grin Cool Roll Eyes :-*Hugh: just took a stroll through the web site:
what a powerful gift, to make people laugh. Marcia I love the fact that we Canadians are a hearty bunch.
It can be 40 below whether it is 40C or 40F. We will stay say it is just chilly.
I remember as a child in Sandpoint, some tourist from the neighbour country below, with skis and ski poles on the roof of their car, in the middle of July. Looking for snow.
The map of Ontario, the most southern tip of Ontario is near the same latitude line as the northern tip of California.  
When we go to places like Florida in the middle of winter, we wear shorts, t-shirts, come back tanned.
Canadians have their GIDDAY's, SEE YA LATER's, HEY's,
we barbeque in the winter, we can ski year round, on the water in the summer, we boast about the longest skating rink on the Rideau Canal, We complain for some heat in the middle of January , then wish for it in the middle of July.  We can complain of all rain we get in April, wish for it in August. I seen someone complaining of mad cow disease in the animals. It is did not originate in Canada. But look at all the diseases that are migrating north. LIME DISEASE, Racoon Rabies,  WEST NILE VIRUS MOSQUITOS, HEARTWORM, earwings, etc,.etc. etc... I guess the Canadian Border,  welcomes all species. in our multiculturalism., I guess with all those gifts from the south of the border, we had to repay it somehow, the mad cow was just handy.
We get American television, with the American values, mixed in with our British culture and values. So we had to send back a British animal disease.
What about all those great stars we are giving to the American television. . There is Peter Jennings at ABC
there is Alex trebec on Jeopardy, There is Celine Dion, Mike Myers, etc, etc. etc. etc.  So I guess it is a fair exchange, You give us American shows, we give you the Canadian stars. What else? Oh yes we train our doctors, our nurses, our actors,  then they go and practice down across the border aiding our neighbours need for medical personal, and entertainment. So as far as the North American continent goes, it is share and share alike , including animal disease, insect diseases, entertainment, and human resources.
So Canada has the cold weather, at least we can survive a good Canadian winder blast. Well maybe sometimes./ Grin Grin Grin Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Smiley

Thanks for the laugh.

Lenore:
Recovering Saint

Email
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2004, 05:10:30 am »

The Series of the Century is about to begin.

Ok everybody who's gonna win the big Lord Stanley Cup. Is is the lads from down under in Tampa Bay or the yougins from Calgary Albirda. What'll it be eh! Check the game out tonight and see the details online later. I fer one 'spect Calgary will give them Lightnings some lessons from their flames. They don't call them the Calgary Flames for nuttin you know. So get your Tim Horton double double and enjoy a box of them thar donuts and enjoy. I am hopin for Calgary to win it for the northland.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/playoffs/

Hugh Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: