AssemblyBoard
April 25, 2024, 05:59:29 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Disillusionment: Some help  (Read 3676 times)
Gordon

Email
« on: July 30, 2003, 11:04:51 pm »

FROM OSWALD CHAMBERS TODAY: "Disillusionment means having no more misconceptions, false impressions, and false judgments in life; it means being free from these deceptions...the disillusionment that comes from God brings us to the point where we see people as they really are, yet without any cynicism or any stinging and bitter criticism. Many of the things in life that inflict the greatest injury, grief, or pain, stem from the fact that we suffer from illusions."

Many of us will go through periods of deep hurt, and great discouragement. DON'T BEAT YOURSELF DOWN for this.

Don't feel condemned, or be discouraged that you are not 'rejoicing'. Don't feel bad you're not the greatest example of a Christian who lived. It's not your devotion times, or your bible study times that are making you feel this way. You are having to face the truth.

You will hurt and grieve, it's ok. Find a friend to support you and listen to you. There's no formula (selfer's prayer or devotional schedule) -- you just need to talk through this with someone: God, a friend, a loved one and this will take time. Take time off. Hug your child. Go for a walk. Or as Oprah says, "Get comfort food."

GOD WILL GIVE YOU GRACE. GRACE to get through this. GRACE to make it, and GRACE to come out ON TOP.

THE EXAMPLE OF THE SEMINARS:
THE STAGE OF DISILLUSIONMENT

This is very natural because we've come to see the people and the ministry for what it really is. There were many instances of truth that each of us were confronted at one point, but for some reason we didn't do anything about it. EXAMPLE: Were the Seminars really that encouraging? I've asked numerous people, and myself to find out in the testiomony of former Assembly people and leading brothers of this truth: the Seminars were not encouraging. I could pop in a tape of my favorite preacher, Jim Cymbala, and he would have you on fire for God, and I had to ask myself, "I spent three full days at the Seminar and the only thing I got really was some great catch-up time with good friends. I'm so carnal!" It must be me! No, it wasn't me.

BUT I was afraid at that point, in my own pride, and my willingness to preserve myself to stand up like a William Wallace, "FREEDOM! I want ministry that cause my heart to burn for Christ!"

WHAT IF I BROACHED THE SUBJECT?

We all knew what we were going to be encouraged with: a good lecture on sin, self, or to be content with "that ONE promise." Such counsel perpetuated and reinforced this illusion and the inability for open discussion not only perpetuated this fact, but it gives proof to it. Truth is a willingness to be open to all and without the worry of being labeled as "weak", or "carnal". (Note: not every person in leadership would do this, but it was certainly a common occurence)

A RETURN

Chambers said: "Refusing to be disillusioned is the cause of much of the suffering of human life. And this is how that suffering happens—if we love someone, but do not love God, we demand total perfection and righteousness from that person, and when we do not get it we become cruel and vindictive; yet we are demanding of a human being something which he or she cannot possibly give. There is only one Being who can completely satisfy to the absolute depth of the hurting human heart, and that is the Lord Jesus Christ."

Disillusionment only happens when EXPECTATIONS, OR PERCEPTIONS are not met. The only person who will never hurt you or disappoint you is the Lord Jesus Christ.

The truth is this example is this:

* Alot of people were not encouraged at the Seminar. I could find ministry that people after listening once would talk about for weeks because it move them that much.

You were right if you didn't find your heart burning for Christ and you were NOT the only one. And in more instance than not, your perceptions were TRUE to ask, "Is it me, or am I just not getting it?" You were not getting it, because there wasn't much to get. It wasn't your 'carnal' heart, or your lack of 'true spirituality'.

I hope that helps! May there be William Wallaces raised with a burning heart of passion for Jesus Christ. I know you all will be kept in God's grace.

Arthur
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2003, 08:27:38 pm »

Hey Gordon.  Thank you for the comforting thoughts.  I usually think of the word "disillusionment" with a negative connotation--e.g., "He's disillusioned with society."  But really, is that a bad thing?  That's a good point you bring up that all it simply means is "to be set free from illusions".  
It seems as if we are prone to create illusions for ourselves or adopt the illusions of others.  It is wonderful to see things in life, ourselves and others for how we really are, by the light of the truth in God and the Bible.

Thanks again for the reminder Gordon.

Arthur
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: