AssemblyBoard
April 24, 2024, 10:15:04 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Before and After D-Day  (Read 13859 times)
M2
« on: July 22, 2003, 06:02:10 pm »

D-Day is the day each assembly chose to disasssociate itself from George Geftakys and his way of doing things(Geftakysism).

I personally am of the belief that it is not possible to uproot Geftakysism without removing oneself(ves) from the 'environment' that cultivated it and fostered it.

It is so easy to fall back into the old habit patterns of dealing with issues that arise.

In some assemblies, many have actually rallied together and are much 'closer' to each other in their friendship and involvement with each other.

This does not change the fact that our involvement with Gaftakysism prior to D-Day puts us in the category of being involved with a false religion.

When one is involved with a false religion, one needs to come out of there and be separate from it, even if change occurs after D-Day that may seem to 'legitimize' the gathering.

Were there individual acts in the Assembly that were done as unto the Lord by individual believers?  Of course, and these were received from the Lord as sincere, as in the widow who placed the one mite in the box.  Jesus commendation of the Widow was not an endorsement of the erroneous Pharisaical system in Israel.
  Let's be clear in our repudiation of the evil system that GG built, and in our support for individuals seeking recovery from the toxic influences therin.
                                                   God Bless,  Mark    

Lord bless,
Marcia
« Last Edit: July 23, 2003, 04:30:14 am by MM » Logged
M2
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2003, 06:08:44 pm »

Before D-Day we 'shunned' individual that left the assembly and went to other Christian gatherings.

After D-Day I have left and have been shunned(generally speaking) on the basis that my presence brings discomfort to some individuals.
M2
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2003, 08:27:29 pm »

Before - we advised married sisters who wanted to come to assembly meetings to come for conscience sake, even if their husbands preferred that they went elsewhere.

After - If a married sister leaves fellowship and does not want to attend assembly meetings for conscience sake, she is 'dividing the family'.
M2
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2003, 01:25:36 am »

Before - Silence the opposition by labelling it as divisive and gossip.

After - Silence the opposition by labelling it as divisive and gossip.
matthew r. sciaini

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2003, 05:43:19 am »

Dear MM:

(you know me as 'shinester' on another BB)

Is the point of this thread to show that nothing of substance has occurred in the former assemblies?  Huh

As for "D-day", I believe that it was a different day for different assemblies.  Some still have not come to it.

Matt Sciaini
M2
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2003, 05:47:26 am »

Dear MM:

(you know me as 'shinester' on another BB)

Is the point of this thread to show that nothing of substance has occurred in the former assemblies?  Huh

As for "D-day", I believe that it was a different day for different assemblies.  Some still have not come to it.

Matt Sciaini

Good point about the D-day.

Looks like I am talking to myself on this thread.

The point is to demonstrate that though many claim that they have repented, and that the Bible and Holy Spirit can now lead them, in actuality they are 'reacting' in much the same way as they did before what I call D-Day.

Lord bless,
Marcia
themissus

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2003, 08:32:58 am »

Before:  Quote nothing but Scripture to each other, without actually forming friendships and talking about real issues or being open and honest.   Tongue

After:  Talk about the Lord, without actually being open and honest and talking about issues.   Huh

PS - You're not talking to yourself MM!  I find your before/after's insightful.
 Cheesy
Tom Robinson

Email
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2003, 06:43:06 pm »

"It is easy to fall back into old habit patterns of dealing with issues as they arise." (MM)

Stated just like that it is not a Geftakysism to deal with issues as they arise. Every healthy person deals with issues that arise. Every church deals with issues as they arise. How you like to attend a place that didn't.

Of course, MM's use of "issues" is the operative word here. We all define issues much differently than normal people because we, thankfully only for awhile, allowed a certain vocabulary to be defined for us. The road to recover lies (or lays?!?) in sorting out, post D-day, what are "old habit patterns" and what are normal human responses. What are the working definitions of God's spiritual vocabulary. I'm finding the word 'redemption' means so much more than I every knew it did.
M2
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2003, 06:42:15 am »

Before - the tendency to abuse, divide and cast out with Scripture.

After - the tendency to abuse, divide and cast out with Scripture.
M2
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2003, 05:40:40 am »

someone shared this with me today:

JON 3:1 Now the word of the Lord came to Jonah the second time, saying,
JON 3:2 "Arise, go to Nineveh the great city and proclaim to it the proclamation which I am going to tell you."

Jonah: Brent after a sailing trip, partially digested from having being excommunicated.
How about a web-site? Is that a good way of proclaiming to this world-wide ministry?

JON 3:3 So Jonah arose and went to Nineveh according to the word of the Lord. Now Nineveh was an exceedingly great city, a three days' walk.

JON 3:4 Then Jonah began to go through the city one day's walk; and he cried out and said, "Yet forty days and Nineveh will be overthrown."

All the saints heard (Jonah went throught the city), not just the brother's or the LBs : Take the 6 week (40 days) challenge, or else...

JON 3:5 ¶ Then the people of Nineveh believed in God; and they called a fast and put on sackcloth from the greatest to the least of them.

They believed God, NOT the brothers or LBs.
Fast: focus on the issue in prayer.
Greatest to the least: ALL of them

JON 3:6 When the word reached the king of Nineveh, he arose from his throne, laid aside his robe from him, covered himself with sackcloth, and sat on the ashes.

The chief LB got OFF his throne and repented as well.

JON 3:7 And he issued a proclamation and it said, "In Nineveh by the decree of the king and his nobles: Do not let man, beast, herd, or flock taste a thing. Do not let them eat or drink water.

They laid aside their former way of doing things, in order to focus on the problem.

JON 3:8 "But both man and beast must be covered with sackcloth; and let men call on God earnestly that each may turn from his wicked way and from the violence which is in his hands.

They were humble and cried earnestly to God to remove the 'wicked and violent' ways.

JON 3:9 "Who knows, God may turn and relent, and withdraw His burning anger so that we shall not perish?"

MAY relent from His fierce anger, or maybe He'll say DISBAND!

JON 3:10 When God saw their deeds, that they turned from their wicked way, then God relented concerning the calamity which He had declared He would bring upon them. And He did not do it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2003, 06:24:03 am by MM » Logged
BeckyW

Email
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2003, 04:27:25 am »

Quotes from Leaders Before:

George is the spiritual father of this assembly.
George is a godly man.  
Read his books.  His books are for your profit.  
George is coming to town.  The only good excuse to miss one of his meetings is a death in the family- your own!

Quote from Leaders After:

George didn't really have that much influence here, after all, he only came through once or twice a year.
editor
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2003, 05:23:21 am »

Quote from members in October of 2002:

Praise God, our brother still has a burden!  Saints, the tape meeting is where we get our vision!  The tapes still contain the annointing!

After:

We weren't following George.  We always taught what the bible said.

Before:

Pray for Brent (plenty of other names could go here), he left fellowship, and is railing on the saints.  We are to have nothing to do with him, unless it is to tell him to repent.

After:  

George is excommunicated, pray for his repentance

Before:

We aren't playing church!  God isn't doing what the church on the corner is doing,  we have heavenly vision.

After:

"I go to the church on the corner now."

Before:  for Assemblies still meeting...

"God is doing something great!  Pray for ones to be added into fellowship!"

After:

"God is doing something great.  Really pray for ones to be added into fellowship."  

Before:  LB's of Assemblies still meeting

"God can lead us if we are yielded to him.  He gives us light!"

After:

"We had no idea.  We didn't know!  Praise God, He can lead us if we are yielded to Him! He gives us light!"

Caan

Email
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2003, 07:49:33 am »

Brent is sooo cool!
It's strange that the power to bring the Assemblies crashing to their knees lay dormant within you all those years.  When I was involved, I never thought it would end.  I guess a little wit and sarcasm goes further than the charisma of an aging cult leader some days.
jackhutchinson

Email
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2003, 08:00:50 am »

Before:
"The leading brothers have God-given wisdom to protect us from wolves."

After:
"What?  George Geftakys is a wolf?"

Before: (leaders speaking to new visitors)
"This gathering of believers was raised up by God using a godly preacher named George Geftakys."

After:  (leaders speaking to new visitors)
"George who?"
« Last Edit: August 18, 2003, 08:03:36 am by Jack Hutchinson » Logged
Oscar

Email
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2003, 09:42:29 pm »

Quotes from Leaders Before:

George is the spiritual father of this assembly.
George is a godly man.  
Read his books.  His books are for your profit.  
George is coming to town.  The only good excuse to miss one of his meetings is a death in the family- your own!

Quote from Leaders After:

George didn't really have that much influence here, after all, he only came through once or twice a year.

I believe that this is called "Hitting the nail on the head".

These people have no idea just how much George Geftakys is STILL controlling their lives through IDEAS inculcated by years of false teaching.

God bless,
Thomas Maddux
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: