AssemblyBoard
April 30, 2024, 04:08:04 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: the future of this board  (Read 10585 times)
brian

Email
« on: July 03, 2003, 05:05:09 am »

i would like to convert this board to new software. it would allow a much more flexible degree of permissions so guests could view but not post, and individuals who want to cause trouble can be more easily coralled. the new software would be the same that is being run on the bb at buildingup.net by lucas. i would also like to clean out the old posts. i would archive them all into a big file that people can download in the future. i know there are ways to convert these posts into the format for the new board, so what i would like to do is keep and convert all the posts from maybe the past 30 days, and clear out the rest (which would still be downloadable in the separate archive). i also picked up the domain name truthleak.com real cheap - if you guys like it i'll scoot the board over to be under that name. any other suggestions for names? i don't want anything really spiritual sounding - this is a bb, not a church. and i don't want 'assembly' in the name because i don't want to completely define this community around the assembly, long term. these are my opinions, of course, and completely open to debate. i also want to assign more moderators around here to help deal with future problems. what do you all think?

these are thoughts that have been buzzing around in my head for a while, and then arthur set up restfortheweary.us - which has generated a lot of great discussion and provided a much needed fresh start. should we all just take this over there? i don't want to do the above work unless people really want this particular board to stay up, so let me know your honest opinions.

brian
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2003, 06:03:15 am »

Is 30 days enough?

Perhaps a selection of some of the more important older threads should also be carried over?

As for both the archive and portions converted and imported into the new BB, I'm concerned about loss of information.  The dates and times of the posts are important and need to be preserved.  Some posts may be confusing if quote boxes are lost.

Ideally, the archive should preserve the original YaBBC or something comparable so that posts can be reproduced accurately.  Quote box labels in YaBBC are not easy to decipher, so maybe these would need to be converted to a readable format.
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2003, 08:45:54 am »

Hi Brian! Smiley
  When I first came to this BB it was the very best one I had ever been on!  I have been on several BB's on cults/abusive churches in the past decade, but nobody on these sites had ever heard of the Assembly.  When Brent started this one it was all Assembly all the time!
  This BB has been invaluable for those seeking information re. current Assembly events, finding lost friends from the Assembly days, and hopefully discovery of things helpful for recovery.
   This site is different from the others I've experienced because of the strong evangelical Christian presence and expection here.  Also, we have learned not to tolerate those who are not seeking honest discussion here, but that is difficult to discern with those who cloak their malacious intent behind the face of a sincere questioner.  
   This brings up your suggestion for more moderators.  It just isn't the amount of moderators, but how they view their "mission" that will decide whether the BB is successful.  I failed in my job as moderator because I was gone too much, and because I saw my job as being one of trying to get everyone to "just get along."  A moderator can not be neutral or tolerant in their "oversight."  This would mean that a moderator should understand the nature of GG teaching/ practice and how it manifiested itself in the Assemblies.
  It would also mean that a moderator would have an unswerving commitment to the essentials of the orthodox Christian faith.  If these were not the guidelines then I would not be interested in continuing here, but would opt for the new BB.  My only interest is in recovering those hurt by the toxic Assembly teaching/practices and restoring them to the simple Gospel of the grace of God.
  There have been some great discussions on this BB (still are) and I hope that the material would still be easily available to those who were not present for these posts.  I don't know what it will mean to archive these posts, or if retrival will be difficult.  If we can get to them easily then I guess I would not be opposed to a new format/software.
                                  God Bless,  Mark  
Aslan213

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2003, 11:34:07 am »

Hi Brian,

I think new software would be great if it's better.  I agree with Mark in that most bulletin boards out there are inadequate.

I think allowing for another section on other false teachings would be fine, if it's kept separate from the "Geftakys Assembly" sections.  My main concern here is for someone to have an understanding of those false teachings in order to be able to help others in need.

Regarding moderators, you need more of them!  By looking at their posts, you can quickly decide who has the maturity for this (exclusive of age).

Finally, RestfortheWeary has a place and so does this bulletin board.  This bulletin board has been an instrument for change.  It has had its moments but that is to be expected.  I don't think the turmoil here is a bad sign.

Eric
vernecarty
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2003, 08:42:45 am »

What is the timetable for the anticipated changes?
Verne
brian

Email
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2003, 04:20:49 am »

based on the somewhat tepid responses here and in emails i got, it seemed that people were not that interested in a major change in the bb software. security has not been a big issue since the troublemakers got the point, so i no longer feel changing bb software is vital. i did upgrade the version of this bb software to the latest one, which allows me to give guests access to view posts while still forbidding them to post. this will allow the extra cautious to peek in here without giving every random joe (no offense, joe Smiley ) an open door to make disruptive posts. as always, let me know if the new version is giving you any technical difficulties.

i went ahead and bought http://www.assemblyboard.com as a general, direct, to-the-point domain name that would be easy for people to remember. i know this is a complete reversal of what i said before about not having the word assembly in the domain name, but there you have it.   Roll Eyes Smiley it is not active yet, but will become active over the next few days. i'll let you all know when its setup is complete. and its not like we can't change the name at any time. what do you all think of this name?

sometime in the future we will need to change to new bb software, since this is the last version of this software they are going to make. i will give plenty of warning though, and the transition shouldn't be too painful.

brian
brian

Email
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2003, 09:00:24 am »

the transfer to http://www.assemblyboard.com is complete. if you go to http://www.briantucker.net/bb then clicking on anything or logging in will automatically transfer you to the new domain. this has been working fine for me, but let me know if any of you are experiencing problems. so from now on, cultivate the habit of using and spreading around the domain http://www.assemblyboard.com
hopefully this will make a few things easier and better.

brian
Mark Kisla
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2004, 12:02:04 am »

Thank You Brian, I appreciate your efforts.
Mark K
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2004, 06:28:16 am »

More of a consideration note than anything else:

Since the posts are stored in a well-organized SQL database, there should be little problem in saving the entire archive into a read only secondary database- including revamping the format.  Doing this would also allow the possiblity of effcient spidering of the site for potential searches, not to mention less bandwidth required per user request.  

As for board software, I would indeed recommend phpBB (I am on their development team and can attest to the functionality) as many security holes are addressed which remain open on this site.  But even then, it would require an experienced web coder to make any use of them, so don't piss any of this type off  Roll Eyes.  More seriously, the current board seems secure enough to the point that any random script kiddie won't be able to mess with it too bad.

just a couple ideas for future consideration

--
lucas
editor
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2004, 07:17:40 am »

More of a consideration note than anything else:

Since the posts are stored in a well-organized SQL database, there should be little problem in saving the entire archive into a read only secondary database- including revamping the format.  Doing this would also allow the possiblity of effcient spidering of the site for potential searches, not to mention less bandwidth required per user request.  

As for board software, I would indeed recommend phpBB (I am on their development team and can attest to the functionality) as many security holes are addressed which remain open on this site.  But even then, it would require an experienced web coder to make any use of them, so don't piss any of this type off  Roll Eyes.  More seriously, the current board seems secure enough to the point that any random script kiddie won't be able to mess with it too bad.

just a couple ideas for future consideration

--
lucas

Did you guys hear that?  Don't make Lucas mad.

Admin
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2004, 10:35:23 am »

As for board software, I would indeed recommend phpBB ...

Quotes on this board link, at least, to the thread they came from, and sometimes even make it to the exact post.  The date is also recorded so that the referenced post can be hunted down.  It is a bug in this software that causes it to lose track of the exact post referenced when posts are made to the source thread of the reference.

The phpBB doesn't record any of this info, which is a drawback of that BB system.  Perhaps you could introduce the quote link feature into the phpBB software as an enhancement, and perhaps implement it correctly too.

I would miss the quote link feature if we switched systems, and would especially miss the quote date and thread origin info.  Making sense out of some of the quotes would be very confusing without it.
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2004, 09:53:05 pm »

As for board software, I would indeed recommend phpBB ...

Quotes on this board link, at least, to the thread they came from, and sometimes even make it to the exact post.  The date is also recorded so that the referenced post can be hunted down.  It is a bug in this software that causes it to lose track of the exact post referenced when posts are made to the source thread of the reference.

The phpBB doesn't record any of this info, which is a drawback of that BB system.  Perhaps you could introduce the quote link feature into the phpBB software as an enhancement, and perhaps implement it correctly too.

I would miss the quote link feature if we switched systems, and would especially miss the quote date and thread origin info.  Making sense out of some of the quotes would be very confusing without it.

This is actually a design choice by our group.  The intent of our project was to be entirely open source, so we felt that making these suggested modifications to the base software would be inherently a flawed as it spurns a generally more static approach instead of the dynamic software we imagine.  Time stamps *are* actually recorded into the mySQL database, and source thread information is fairly trivial to store.

Of course, I happen to know that there are several modules written that will do exactly what you wish, but for the core binary, we felt that it should remain as dynamic as possible.

--
lucas
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: