AssemblyBoard
April 26, 2024, 09:51:52 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Serious Questions I was ALways Afraid to Ask  (Read 5231 times)
Uh Oh

Email
« on: June 25, 2003, 06:59:13 pm »

I have some serious questions that I was always afraid to ask:

1) This may seem stupid, but does anyone know why the one song book we sang out of was called "Hymns For The Little Flock"?  Was it because we were a little flock and that songbook was specifically written for us or was it because the Hymn Book itself was little?  I have always been very curious about this.

2) While visiting many assemblies, I noticed that many groups had puppet shows.  My question is  were the puppets  their own separate entity, or were they part of the assembly?  If they were part of the assembly, then what happened to all of the puppet gear?  Is it for sale?  
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2003, 09:30:05 pm »

Hi UH OH! Smiley
  The Little Flock Hymn book was from the Plymouth Brethren movement and I believe was either compiled or made popular by Watchman Nee of China (not to be confused with the heretic Witness Lee).  The "Little Flock" designation was taken from the NT where Jesus calls his followers a Little Flock (it has nothing to do with the size of the book).
  I don't know for sure whether individuals Assemblies will be having yard sales, but I imagine there are still some copies of GG's publications available for sale and that they could be picked up cheap Wink.
                                              God Bless,  Mark
d3z

Email
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2003, 02:37:27 am »

1) This may seem stupid, but does anyone know why the one song book we sang out of was called "Hymns For The Little Flock"?  Was it because we were a little flock and that songbook was specifically written for us or was it because the Hymn Book itself was little?  I have always been very curious about this.
I ordered a copy of the Hymns for the Little Flock with music written out.  I ordered it from the publisher in the midwest.  It is enormous, bigger than most books on my bookshelf.

I used to joke around about it being "Great Big Hymns for the Little Flock."

Seriously, the little flock book comes from the Brethren.  The specific title is very old (from the mid 1800's). http://www.christianshepherd.org/lflock/lflockfr.htm for a diagram of a very old cover  Smiley

If you go to http://www.christianshepherd.org/info/resources.htm, they have contact information from Bible Truth Publishers who prints the books.
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2003, 05:23:27 am »

Uh-oh---

The puppet shows were definitely part of the Assembly
for sure. Usually the biggest puppet show occurred on
Sundays when 300 or so puppets showed up in 3 piece
suits and head coverings. One man held the strings amazingly, but sometimes it could be very humorous.

--Joe
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: