AssemblyBoard
April 18, 2024, 10:39:49 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 45
  Print  
Author Topic: WOUNDED PILGRIMS  (Read 374918 times)
Mark Kisla
« Reply #270 on: June 07, 2005, 03:16:48 am »

All these people robotically doing the same thing at the same time,same hymn book, same pre-prayer, worship, etc He had it Wired! No questions asked, running Wild over the globe, and these people PAID for it! Yes he kept them all in line with the workers meetings, etc, I think he equated Sold out for the Lord with fool and knew he had them all in his back-pocket. Well until the fall-out, but it seems only age will stop him, so he burnt through a few areas, that no longer meet, there's plenty more people out there who'ev never heard. Just my take.  Summer

Well said Summer, that's why if opportunity presents itself to let people know what the assembly really is, it's my duty to let people know. I have done this in the past with people I personally knew were drawn by the unique commitment people in the assembly had. All I did was ask them simple questions like; Should someone tell you where to live ? how to raise and discipline your children ? Do you think it's rebellion against God if all your family activities are not around these meetings and the assembly ?  Should you do what you believe you should do, or do what assembly tells you too ?
It worked and this was before the truth  about George came out.
If George is preaching anywhere near me, I'll be there, not to waste my time confronting George (he's to far gone ) but speaking individually to everyone I can about the truth. Sincerely warning them.
vernecarty
« Reply #271 on: June 07, 2005, 04:47:09 am »

Verne,

You said...

Nevertheless, I think you are giving GG too much credit here!

GG did not "devise" a plan to get what he wanted and carry it out.  All he did was to imbibe a lot of deeper life and Plymouth Brethren ideas...then strike out on his own.

I knew him well during the period between 1970 and 1988.  George is extremely clever...but I don't think he is the kind of evil genius that such a plot would require.  He's just not smart enough.

I regard him as a fallen Christian who, at a very early stage, didn't deal with sin problems and progressed into delusion and deception.   

I Corinthians 10:11-13

I recently got a phone call from an old friend from the 60's.  A dear brother I knew back then fell into the deception that anyone who disagreed with him was being decieved by or used by demons.

BTW, he got this way by taking the deeper life teachings seriously, particularly Jesse Penn-Lewis.

This led to all sorts of problems in his life.  His wife had to leave him during the 70's as he became quite abusive.

Now he is dying, still in his delusions.   Cry

There is no question this man is a brother.  Satan simply found a man who would allow himself to be "devoured".

I Peter 5:8

That is why we must hate "even the garment spotted by the flesh" Jude 23.

Blessings,

Thomas Maddux 

In my humble opinon, you probaly have more insight into George and this period than any man alive.
I despise George with a passion and am consequently understandably conflicted about what his state is before God. I can honestly say that I have lost even the slightest desire to pray for the man.
I could be wrong in thinking him a false teacher and thus not saved.
If he truly belongs to Christ, I believe that he will ultimately repent.
If he does, I will have to change my tune...God will have to change my heart.

If George is preaching anywhere near me, I'll be there, not to waste my time confronting George (he's to far gone ) but speaking individually to everyone I can about the truth. Sincerely warning them.

This is the bottom line. Would we have wanted anyone that knew about George Geftakys to inform us when we were initially getting ourselves involved with this man?
Of course we would have!
Do unto others...

Verne, how does this spear rating work.  Is it jabs/minute, or a percentage or... ?? Smiley

Marcia

... a perennial problem of thinking much faster than I can accurately type I am afraid... Smiley

Verne
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 06:02:13 am by VerneCarty » Logged
M2
« Reply #272 on: June 07, 2005, 08:11:17 am »

I was reading Beth Moore's book again, and she makes an interesting observation that the Israelites plundered the Egyptians  when they left Egypt.  That very same plunder was then used in the service of the Lord, the gold, silver etc.  Do you think there are any parallels to our assembly scenario?

Marcia
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #273 on: June 07, 2005, 08:39:45 am »

I was reading Beth Moore's book again, and she makes an interesting observation that the Israelites plundered the Egyptians  when they left Egypt.  That very same plunder was then used in the service of the Lord, the gold, silver etc.  Do you think there are any parallels to our assembly scenario?

Marcia

Sure. Sounds good to me.  Grin
Oscar

Email
« Reply #274 on: June 07, 2005, 09:10:51 am »

Tom, Although you don't think the plan was 'devised" but developed over time how do you explain the church with no name (I understand it started with just a few meeting) then paranoia over the tape ministry, and all the cash eventually no checks, I have checks that were handed out to workers not one went through his accounts. Then the door-keepers checking who was allowed in. GG had quite a hsitory and I think he was somewhat paranoid of being found-out. How would  you have responded to him preaching 7th day creation had you been attending at the time? I would say this is more then a fallen away Christian ( He was Pastoring many ) Summer.

Summer,

I see that it is our backgrounds and life experience that gives us our differing perspectives on GG.

The "church with no name" is by no means an invention of GG!  It is Plymouth Brethrenism plain and simple!

The non-involvement with the government, again, Plymouth Brethren teaching.  This carries over into not keeping records the government can subpoena.

An additional factor is GG's imbibing the errors of Govett, Lang, Pember etc about prophecy.  (All were, of course, Plymouth Brethren teachers).  The "Fig Tree plus 40" expectation of the Lord's return and the "Beginning of Sorrows" preceding it would be the time of persecution our paranoiac "friend" feared so much comes straigh out of Plymouth Brethrenism. 

Pacificsm, Plymouth Brethren teaching.

Leadership directly appointed by God and discerned through mystical communication...Plymouth Brethrenism.

It goes on and on...as to "How do you explain it?"...he was taught it.

As to how I would have responded to the 7th day teaching?

When he was teaching that we "meet God's need in worship" I got up one Sunday morning and taught on the aseity of God.  That is the doctrine of God's absolute independence and self-sufficiency.   I repeatedly said, "God has no needs." 

That sort of thing is why GG liked me so much.   Wink

Thomas Maddux
Virulent Dog

summer007

Email
« Reply #275 on: June 07, 2005, 10:15:19 am »

Tom, Thank-You for the clairification on that after posting I had a hunch it would point back to the P.B.'s. Interestingly there is a "Brethren" church not far from me and they post a sign and have a regular church, so they are quite different. I need to obviously go over the differences again. Summer p.s. Marcia and Mark Thanks for the compliments they did not go un-noticed  Wink
Oscar

Email
« Reply #276 on: June 07, 2005, 11:35:31 am »

Tom, Thank-You for the clairification on that after posting I had a hunch it would point back to the P.B.'s. Interestingly there is a "Brethren" church not far from me and they post a sign and have a regular church, so they are quite different. I need to obviously go over the differences again. Summer p.s. Marcia and Mark Thanks for the compliments they did not go un-noticed  Wink

Summer,

There are many Christian groups whose name is "Brethren". 

United Evangelical Brethren, Church of the Brethren, Grace Brethren and others.

But they have no connection to the Plymouth Brethren.

For them the name arose out of the custom of speaking of their groups as "the Brethren in Liverpool" and so on.

One of the most important early gatherings was in Plymouth, England.  The "Plymouth" Brethren sent out many missionaries...so that became their name.

"Open" Plymouth Brethren gathering places are usually referred to as "XXXX" Bible Chapel"   XXXX is usually the name of the town, but not always.  The one in Fullerton is called Grace Bible Chapel.

"Closed" PB's call their buildings Gospel Halls.

Thomas Maddux.
vernecarty
« Reply #277 on: June 07, 2005, 11:41:53 am »

Tom, Although you don't think the plan was 'devised" but developed over time how do you explain the church with no name (I understand it started with just a few meeting) then paranoia over the tape ministry, and all the cash eventually no checks, I have checks that were handed out to workers not one went through his accounts. Then the door-keepers checking who was allowed in. GG had quite a hsitory and I think he was somewhat paranoid of being found-out. How would  you have responded to him preaching 7th day creation had you been attending at the time? I would say this is more then a fallen away Christian ( He was Pastoring many ) Summer.

It does make you wonder. From the outset, his actions do appear to be that of a man looking over his shoulder.
I have heard it from more than one source that he gave early instructions that the money sent to Fullerton should be wrapped in aluminum foil. His refusal to accept checks on its surface does seem to be a dersire to avoid any sort of paper trail. We know that the man was fundamentally dishonest. Every adulterer is.
Nonetheless, many of us found his preaching impressive did we not?
We invited others to hear him.
Clearly despite our personal impressions, we were wrong!
While Tom makes some good points about the theology, the fact is that not everyone who subscribes to Brethrenism has lived a life like Geftakys.
I would argue that some of the theology provided an covenient justification for the man's impure motives rather than being the actual cause of his awful sin. A man like George could pervert anything. Other brethren ministers have fallen into similar serious sin and tried to justify it with theology.
The painful thing for many of us is having to admit what the fact that we ever trusted a man like this says about us.
It speaks to our lack of discernment.
It speaks to our lack of maturity.
It speaks to our lack of true spirituality.
As if that was not bad enough, in the middle of the storm of his exposure, you had incredible mischief makers still sounding the siren song about how this man was "the Lord's servant"!
Remember that?
The most critical lesson that the man teaches us is that we cannot trust feeble sense to measure spiritual things.
God gives elders to the church for the exact reason that the flock would be protected from a man like Geftakys.
What happened in the assemblies would not have gone so long unchecked in the presence of truly Godly men.
I am prepared to take any and all challenges on this basic point.
As I said, we all listened to him preach and uttered our hearty "Amens!", all the time he was engaged in  profound wickedness.
Everything must ultimately be tested by the Word of God.
It is absolutely astonishing how plain the man's biography is clearly written in the Scripture.
Even my own current strong feelings of opprobrium are insufficient warrant to form any reliable assessment.
They are no more reliable than the feelings I had when I sat and listened to him preach and thought that he was a true misnister of the gospel.
We must in the end ask oursleves: what does the Word of God say about a man who behaves the way GG has?
Who among us, would come to the conclusion that he was "the Lord's servant'?!
Verne
p.s. his teaching about meeting God's need in worship deeply disturbed me. I lacked either the stature or the courage to repudiate it the times I heard him say these things. How remarkable that no one in leadership (beside Tom) had the spiritual insight and willingness to oppose this and to do so publicly. This is the kind of thing that makes me so rabid about doctrinal matters. I am today absolutely no respector of persons, when it comes to what I believe the Word of God is saying. God forgive me, but at the time I simply was not able... Cry

Verne, Yes he pulled it off in Spades as you said. Can you see him riding down the river nile, then having an affair in Paris,   Summer

George was once preaching in Champaign after his "European Journey".
In what I can only surmise must have been a Freudian slip, or perhaps a back-door attempt at public confession, he talked strangely about being in some section of town in Holland where he saw unspeaklable things, and in particlular some woman who as she approached appeared really beautiful, but when you got closer you could see by her face, according to him, that she was disease ravaged. He went on to say how he promised  God that he would never go back to that part of town.
I distinctly rememeber at the time thinking how strange unconnected to anything the anecdote was, and furthermore, what on earth was he doing in "that part" of town in the first place and so had to promise God that he would never go back. Strange huh?
Verne
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 05:00:01 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
M2
« Reply #278 on: June 07, 2005, 05:30:22 pm »

The most critical lesson that the man teaches us is that we cannot trust feeble sense to measure spiritual things.
As I said, we all listened to him preach and uttered our hearty "Amens!", all the time he was engaged in  profound wickedness.
Everything must ultimately be tested by the Word of God.
It is absolutely astonishing how plain the man's biography is clearly written in the Scripture.

The Pharisees knew the Word, but did not have the 'eyes' to recognize the Messiah for Who He was.

p.s. his teaching about meeting God's need in worship deeply disturbed me. I lacked either the stature or the courage to repudiate it the times I heard him say these things. How remarkable that no one in leadership (beside Tom) had the spiritual insight and willingness to oppose this and to do so publicly. This is the kind of thing that makes me so rabid about doctrinal matters. I am today absolutely no respector of persons, when it comes to what I believe the Word of God is saying. God forgive me, but at the time I simply was not able...

History in general, but even assembly/BB history has shown that the "lone" opposers are rarely heeded unless some drastic action is taken to sound the alarm.  If the audience is not "listening" then the message falls on deaf ears.

The Brethren churches are, for the most part, dying off.  Their brand of theology does not equip the saints for holiness and righteous living.  I've heard horror stories of some of the local ones.

Each individual is responsible for their own walks, and the church is there to equip them to do so.  Any church that crosses into rules and controls will definitely eventually go the way of the dodo bird.

Moonie, you like my plunder post eh?? Smiley  I was thinking that what we "plundered" from our assembly days can now be of some benefit in the churches we now attend.  E.g.  Our extensive knowledge of the Scriptures, if rightly used can be of some use now.  Just not sure what, since I am still stuck on seeing certain passages the way GG taught it.

Marcia
vernecarty
« Reply #279 on: June 07, 2005, 08:47:36 pm »

I was thinking that what we "plundered" from our assembly days can now be of some benefit in the churches we now attend.  E.g.  Our extensive knowledge of the Scriptures, if rightly used can be of some use now.  Just not sure what, since I am still stuck on seeing certain passages the way GG taught it.

Marcia

I strugggled a bit with this too Marcia. One of the things the Lord impressed on my heart was the need to read the entire Word of God. Most false teaching derives its effectiveness from taking the Word of God out of proper context, as Geftakys frequently did. It is remarkable how one begins to view the Scriptures differently as the Spirit of God unveils for us its remarkable beauty, consistency and applicability. I now rarely hear George's voice ringing in my ears!  Smiley
Verne

p.s Of course I have been out a lot longer than you have. I probably also imbibed far fewer sessions of "taped idiocy" than you did... Smiley
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 09:18:27 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
Oscar

Email
« Reply #280 on: June 07, 2005, 09:49:42 pm »

Verne,

Your post brings up several issues to think about.

While Tom makes some good points about the theology, the fact is that not everyone who subscribes to Brethrenism has lived a life like Geftakys.
I would argue that some of the theology provided an covenient justification for the man's impure motives rather than being the actual cause of his awful sin. A man like George could pervert anything. Other brethren ministers have fallen into similar serious sin and tried to justify it with theology.
The painful thing for many of us is having to admit what the fact that we ever trusted a man like this says about us.

Actually, the potential is always there because of the completely subjective interpretations that the "mystical meaning" makes available.  Sondra's use of the Bible is an example of this.

Take this illigitimate exegetical method, add narcissim, a dash of sociopathic tendencies...and viola!
George is God's special servant.

The history of Brethrenism shows that this can happen again and again.

The most critical lesson that the man teaches us is that we cannot trust feeble sense to measure spiritual things

And in its place we should put......Huh?

God gives elders to the church for the exact reason that the flock would be protected from a man like Geftakys.

And the elders will discern by trusting.....Huh?

p.s. his teaching about meeting God's need in worship deeply disturbed me. I lacked either the stature or the courage to repudiate it the times I heard him say these things. How remarkable that no one in leadership (beside Tom) had the spiritual insight and willingness to oppose this and to do so publicly.

Looks like Bozo went back to teaching it after I left.

But, of course, it was based on sound exegesis by a man with "spiritual" discernment.  (One wonders which spirits)

On the cross, Jesus said "I thirst."   

To a man of merely human understanding, such as myself, it means he wanted something to drink.

But to the the spiritually discerning, it has layers of meaning.  Typological significance.  Mystical import that only the those who hear the voice of the Spirit...       Roll Eyes

He got away with it because he took advantage the pietistic tendencies in Evangelicalsim and also was able to teach new converts to read their Bibles in this way. 

Many of you still do!    Shocked

I distinctly rememeber at the time thinking how strange unconnected to anything the anecdote was, and furthermore, what on earth was he doing in "that part" of town in the first place and so had to promise God that he would never go back. Strange huh?

I heard about "that part of town" when I was in the service back in the early 60's.  I have also seen glimpses of it on the evening news.

What it is is the "Red Light District" of Amsterdam.  The women put themselves on public display in picture windows right on the sidewalks.  They are "dressed" accordingly.

GG was there to investigate human depravity.   Roll Eyes

IMHO, he was there to ogle the women!  I don't think he was shopping because I think there were brothers with him.

Blessings,

Thomas Maddux

Mark Kisla
« Reply #281 on: June 08, 2005, 02:23:25 am »

I strugggled a bit with this too Marcia. One of the things the Lord impressed on my heart was the need to read the entire Word of God. Most false teaching derives its effectiveness from taking the Word of God out of proper context, as Geftakys frequently did. It is remarkable how one begins to view the Scriptures differently as the Spirit of God unveils for us its remarkable beauty, consistency and applicability. I now rarely hear George's voice ringing in my ears!  Smiley
Verne

p.s Of course I have been out a lot longer than you have. I probably also imbibed far fewer sessions of "taped idiocy" than you did... Smiley
It is encouraging to be in the presence of Christians untainted by the assembly, Bible study is very encouraging...I just shut up, listened and watched  what was happening to the lives of people seeking God...taking what they learned and putting their faith in it....it was good....and it's contagious.
Gods will is that none should perish
vernecarty
« Reply #282 on: June 08, 2005, 03:28:37 am »

Verne,

Your post brings up several issues to think about.

Actually, the potential is always there because of the completely subjective interpretations that the "mystical meaning" makes available.  Sondra's use of the Bible is an example of this.

Take this illigitimate exegetical method, add narcissim, a dash of sociopathic tendencies...and viola!
George is God's special servant.

The history of Brethrenism shows that this can happen again and again.

It certainly does.

And in its place we should put......Huh?

The rebuke of Peter by Paul comes to mind. This is of course a little different as Paul did indeed have special revelation. The issue is that there was no question that Peter's conduct was reprehensible.
While everyone adknowledged George as the spiritual leader of the assemblies( I am sure Paul did not deny Peter's apostleship) the position should have in no way renedered him incapable of correction, even sharp rebuke from his spiritual peers, who were of course the other elders.
But that was just the problem was it not?
He had no peers!
There was ample evidence of gross misconduct on George's part to warrant strong intervention by the leadership long before the final crisis. He had trained them to tolerate whatever he did and make excuses of it and for the conduct of other members of his family.

And the elders will discern by trusting.....Huh?

Why, God of course. Without in any way being mystical about this Tom, my opinoin that the Spirit of God was protesting the loudest during George's reign of terror. I believe God must have shown the rest of the leadership that things were not right. He showed you did He not?   Smiley

Looks like Bozo went back to teaching it after I left.

Why not? The rest of his sycopahnts all nodded their heads sagely.

I heard about "that part of town" when I was in the service back in the early 60's.  I have also seen glimpses of it on the evening news.

What it is is the "Red Light District" of Amsterdam.  The women put themselves on public display in picture windows right on the sidewalks.  They are "dressed" accordingly.

GG was there to investigate human depravity.   Roll Eyes

IMHO, he was there to ogle the women!  I don't think he was shopping because I think there were brothers with him.

Blessings,

Thomas Maddux 

You gotta be kindding me. And he actually had the gumption to talk about this?
I am surprised that other brothers would actually take him to a place like this Tom.

Verne
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 03:33:04 am by VerneCarty » Logged
summer007

Email
« Reply #283 on: June 08, 2005, 08:59:02 am »

Verne, I don't find it too shocking that he not only went to, but talked about the "red light district" after all he said he was raised in/ or around Dance-Halls and Clubs right ? So I think he was covering his tracks with the bros and doing a little play acting at his horror of the place. I don't think this was anything new to him. Interestingly enough Soloman the wisest man proverbs and all, let his many wives 700 and 300 concubines take away his heart. (wine and harlotry take away the heart) and Christ says," Behold a Greater then Soloman is here!"  Summer.
Oscar

Email
« Reply #284 on: June 08, 2005, 11:08:35 am »

Verne, I don't find it too shocking that he not only went to, but talked about the "red light district" after all he said he was raised in/ or around Dance-Halls and Clubs right ? So I think he was covering his tracks with the bros and doing a little play acting at his horror of the place. I don't think this was anything new to him. Interestingly enough Soloman the wisest man proverbs and all, let his many wives 700 and 300 concubines take away his heart. (wine and harlotry take away the heart) and Christ says," Behold a Greater then Soloman is here!"  Summer.

When GG talked about his early years he usually said his father ran "night clubs", or restaurants.

GG had a problem though.  If you knew him very long he would supply you with bits and pieces of information that added up to more than he had wanted you to know.

Once at one of the first seminars a man and woman came that had fellowshipped with GG at a Plymouth Brethren assembly.  Later GG told me that he had led the woman to Christ.   Then a while after that, he told me that she had been "one of my father's strippers."   Shocked

From this I conluded that his dad ran a strip joint.  No wonder he never saw a Bible.

Thomas Maddux
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 11:10:10 am by Tom Maddux » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 45
  Print  

Jump to: