AssemblyBoard
April 25, 2024, 03:28:15 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I still have questions: Q2 "Eve, the mother of all living."  (Read 6239 times)
Arthur
« on: June 06, 2003, 11:05:38 pm »

Ok, these questions are kinda random, but I write 'em as I think 'em Smiley

Whenever I read this verse in Gen 3, I wonder about what it means and what the point of including it there is.
It seems kinda out of place.  

Any takers?  

19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return. 20 And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living. 21 Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.
Peacefulg

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2003, 11:29:39 pm »

Hi Arthur, I am not going to even try and touch this one (okay maybe I will give it the ole college try).

In the Hebrew lexicon that word for living is yx (translated Chay) the def. is as follows.
adj

1. living, alive
         1. green (of vegetation)
         2. flowing, fresh (of water)
         3. lively, active (of man)
         4. reviving (of the springtime) n m
   2. relatives
   3. life (abstract emphatic)
         1. life
         2. sustenance, maintenance n f
   4. living thing, animal
         1. animal
         2. life
         3. appetite
         4. revival, renewal
   5. community

Ok, so taking it in context, I "believe it to mean" that all men (or should I be PC and people(s)) could ultimately be be able to call eve there Greatest Grandma!  Similar to how Muslims and Jews can claim Abraham as their father (Ishamel and Jacob story).  

Please correct me in my thinking if I am wrong, even though this is not a thought that I am willing to die for.

Later,
G
Arthur
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2003, 01:01:17 am »

Yes.  And how would you say that ties in with the rest of the chapter, especially the verses before and after it?

sfortescue

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2003, 01:24:41 am »

Based on its position, it looks like the implication is that the need for children has become more urgent because of death.

Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; ... Gen. 3:16

Usually, it is thought that the sorrow refers to the pain, but maybe it refers to mourning for the dead instead.
Arthur
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2003, 04:32:52 am »

Based on its position, it looks like the implication is that the need for children has become more urgent because of death.

Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; ... Gen. 3:16

Usually, it is thought that the sorrow refers to the pain, but maybe it refers to mourning for the dead instead.

Ah, an interesting thought.  Thank you.
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2003, 08:18:18 am »

Arthur,

i clean our house until it shines.  Then i go to the store for half an hour, and what do i return to?  Let me just say that the part of v.19 that says "for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return," is perfectly clear to me.  

al
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: