AssemblyBoard
April 24, 2024, 07:48:25 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Poll
Question:
Total Voters:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Women preachers?  (Read 45434 times)
Laurie

Email
« on: May 08, 2003, 10:37:28 pm »

After speaking to one of the male members of this board, I was horrified to learn that he supported the submission of wives to their husbands as well as women not preaching. This didn't even come from Matt, but another male member. Where's the equality?
Love,
Laurie.
Bluejay

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2003, 02:12:40 am »

After speaking to one of the male members of this board, I was horrified to learn that he supported the submission of wives to their husbands as well as women not preaching. This didn't even come from Matt, but another male member. Where's the equality?
Love,
Laurie.

Laurie,

You must realize that the role of a woman in the Geftakys ministry was to give George and Tim back rubs (among other things) and to cook pastries for fellowships.  

sfortescue

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2003, 03:24:06 am »

It is important to clarify terminology here.  The way the word "preach" is being used here seems to be the way people nowadays tend to use the word, but the Bible uses the word differently.  When the Bible uses the word, it refers to proclaiming the good news, in other words evangelism.  There is no restriction in the Bible against women telling other people the good news.  The only restriction is that they should not lead the church nor teach doctrine.
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2003, 05:30:48 am »

My Grandmother was one of the greatest preachers
who ever lived. She really knew how to get a message
across. Of Course, she didn't preach from the Bible, her preaching was more like nagging, but she did it quite well.
Stillwater
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2003, 11:48:46 am »

Dear friends,

I just scanned this topic real quick to see what was being said, and I was disappointed to see a lot of "assemblyese,"  Undecided though I'm sure it's unintentional. What am I refering to?

"You don't disagree with me. You disagree with the God's Word."

and

"The Bible contains a lot of stuff that goes against our NATURAL GRAIN."

How many times were these lines used on us? Why do we keep using them on each other? Since when is it ok to question someone's salvation because s/he has a different opinion than we do? (on things other than salvation)

Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

Heather
Matt

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2003, 12:10:04 pm »

Laurie,
I'm beginning to think that you want me! You just can't leave me alone, can you?! I'm sorry you weren't born 10 yrs earlier, that you live in Colo. and I in Cali., that you have a problem with everything out of my mouth, and that you want me to slit my throat. Except for those "minor" issues, we really could be something awesome, couldn't we?

Everyone else:
Oh, I see that nobody will be coming to hear me preach on Sunday?      

Have fun at Laurie's! She's kinder than me you know! Laurie, I'm going to time adjust this for you. Ah, heck, I'll time adjust this for everyone:
It's
12:10am Fri. for Kimberly Tobin, me, and the Geftakys clan.

1:10am Fri. for you Laurie in colorado.

2:10am Fri. for Luke Robinson and Verne

3:10am Fri. for Eulaha in New York

Lord bless.

- Matt

sfortescue

Email
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2003, 11:12:49 pm »

Everyone else:
Oh, I see that nobody will be coming to hear me preach on Sunday?

Matt,

Since only 3 people voted out of 292, that means that almost 99% of the people didn't choose to vote.
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2003, 04:30:21 am »

Dear Laurie Smiley
  An unfair poll as the questions are rigged.  I could not select any of the options.

Heather,
   I don't think MGov was suggesting that Laurie was not saved because of her position, but she was trying to discover if Laurie accepted the Bible as authoritative.  This would be important to the discussion for obvious reasons.

Re. the topic:
  I will probably surprise many by saying that I don't have a problem with women "preachers" and have heard a couple who were very gifted.  
  The topic is somewhat confusing as there are passages that support women excercisng the gift of prophecy (daughters of Phillip) in the church and women who were involved in church "business" (Phoebe).
  Of course the whole concept of "submission" was perverted by the Assembly; submission to leaders and wives to husbands.  There were those who ignored the teaching/practice of the Assembly and had wonderful marriages, but that was inspite of the instruction.
                                   God Bless,  Mark
Eulaha L. Long

Email
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2003, 10:16:20 pm »

I think women preachers are awesome.  I watch on the Christian channel all the time, and let me tell you-what they have to say is biblically sound and very challenging.  Because of dealing with George and the l.b.'s from SLO for almost nine years, I'm kinda turned off by men preachers.  Maybe because off all the control and submission required of the women, je ne sais pas... Huh
Laurie

Email
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2003, 08:27:51 am »

Laurie,
I'm beginning to think that you want me! You just can't leave me alone, can you?! I'm sorry you weren't born 10 yrs earlier, that you live in Colo. and I in Cali., that you have a problem with everything out of my mouth, and that you want me to slit my throat. Except for those "minor" issues, we really could be something awesome, couldn't we?

Matt, yes, you have me figured out! I'm willing to pretend that I'm 10 years younger, I will move to California, I'll forgive everything out of your mouth, and I won't ask you to slit your throat.
Love,
Laurie.

It's too late to turn back now!
Matt

Email
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2003, 08:45:52 am »

(sings): I believe, I believe, I believe I'm falling in love
Laurie

Email
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2003, 12:40:15 pm »

(sings): I believe, I believe, I believe I'm falling in love

Matt, you are too funny. I wasn't even thinking about that song. Do you like oldies? How did you know that song?
Heide

Email
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2003, 09:57:17 pm »

Hey Laurie,

You are preaching to the wrong choir. Most of these people have been taught that women don't matter. In their eyes we are second class citizens. If that wasn't true, so many people would not have turned their backs on the women that were being abused in this gathering. We have all witnessed preaching in the assembly that no one could make heads or tails on. Preaching mind you, done by men! While women were reduced to only teaching the children or possibly open air preaching. It's a good thing we don't look at the bible for our examples....

I mean, George is a man and look where it got us! So God forbid if the man is wrong and the woman is right, who ya going to listen to??

Heide C. Johnson
lenore
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2004, 11:59:10 pm »

Love,
Laurie.

JUST SENDING YOU THIS TO SAY THANK YOU FOR THIS TOPIC FOR DISCUSSION.

I hate to say it, I learned more by Women's Bible Studies than Pastor's message, it not to say I havent Learned from the pulpit too.  Women teaching/preaching, there is more (maybe) true ........
Thank you:
Mr Smiles

Email
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2004, 08:34:41 am »

Smiley
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 08:40:59 am by Mr Smiles » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: