AssemblyBoard
April 19, 2024, 12:44:23 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Books You Would Recommend And Why?  (Read 29301 times)
Arlene

Email
« on: May 05, 2003, 06:47:05 am »

I love reading good books and I have benefitted from books that others have recommended.  Keep it up everyone! Smiley Smiley
4Him

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2003, 10:10:54 am »

The following quote is from New Earth, Old Earth...
...read John Barnhouse's book "The Invisible War"---it is a very interesting book, but filled with far more than conjecture--there are many things in the book to help with your walk--in regards to warfare, etc. ...
Another good book that deals with this is "The Fingerprint of God" by Hugh Ross. I find the whole thing to be very interesting, and exciting in a way. there are many things the Bible doesn't tell us---but may give us a glimpse, a very small glimpse---enough to make you wonder. And there's nothing wrong with that or God wouldn't have given us imaginations.
Take care,  Joe
Joe,
Thanks for your recommendation regarding The Invisible War by John Barnhouse.  I bought it and started to read it at first because I was interested in the Genesis 1:1-2 interpretation (his is very sound) but the book goes so much farther!  It is well written, easy to read and sticks to Scripture.
BTW, I read The Fingerprint of God quite some time ago and found it very compelling as well.
Again,
Thanks!
jackhutchinson

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2003, 09:23:47 pm »

I've been encouraged by reading the following books:

1) Churches That Abuse - by Ron Enroth
2) Recovering from Churches That Abuse - by Ron Enroth
3) Twisted Scriptures - by Mary Alice Chrnalogar (still reading this)
4) The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse - by Jeff VanVonderen and David Johnson
5) Tired of Trying to Measure Up - by Jeff VanVonderen

These authors have GG's number dialed (even though only the first two specifically mention the Assembly).  As you read them you will find:

1) You are not alone with regard to your problems.
2) God loves you no matter what.
3) Church leaders don't have the right to treat you the way that most did in the assembly.
4) The damage and deception was pervasive and subtle.
5) You can avoid being enslaved again in a yoke of bondage by knowing what made the assembly tick.
6) There is hope.

I got them all from Amazon for $6 - $13 each.

Hope this helps.

Jack
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2003, 01:04:27 am »

One book that blessed me greatly was a book by C.H. Spurgeon entitled "All of Grace". Another book that Tom Maddux gave to me a long time ago that is extremely
comforting is called "The God of All Comfort" by Hannah Whitall Smith---it is truly a blessing. But one of the greatest
books I've read is "A lifting up for the Downcast" by
an old Puritan writer named William Bridge, written in the 1600's. It is amazingly comforting and uplifting.

--Joe
BeckyW

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2003, 06:03:22 am »

"Transforming Grace-Living Confidently in God's Unfailing Love"
by Jerry Bridges
(Navpress)

Maybe someone else has recommended this one already and I missed it.  But I found it last week on a resource library shelf, and it is a powerful and encouraging antidote to some of the false assembly teachings.  Esp. the error of basing our relationship with God on our performance rather than on His grace.

BW
Arlene

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2003, 11:35:58 pm »

"Dynamic Spiritual Leadership", By J. Oswald Sanders
This book was mentioned on one of Chuck Swindoll programs.  It gives a very good view on the apsotles Paul.
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2003, 08:04:10 am »

Quote from: verne carty:The point he was making is that our worship adds nothing to God, rather it adds something to us - we come into His presence that we might have an encounter with the living God with the result that the worship such encounter evokes is a means of fulfilling the purpose for which we were created.

i am not going to directly address the above quote, except to thank Verne for sharing this message, and to encourage all to take it to heart, ask God to open your eyes to it, and don't stop asking until you see it so well that your heart rejoices.

A number of years ago, i had a copy of My Utmost for His Highest, a daily devotional guide composed by Oswald Chambers.  i used it for a time, but i don't remember learning anything from it.  i don't think i had much idea what he was writing about.  Eventually, i set it aside, and have no idea where it is today.
     But when God began teaching me many new things (or opening my eyes to many old things i had never seen), i bought a new copy (Barbour Publishing, Inc.).  Today it dwells in my "inner circle" of books, with my bibles, concordance and hymnals.  Mr. Chambers' insights bless my heart daily.

Another volume that has been very liberating is Free at Last by Tony Evans (Moody Press).  This short & simple exposition of the finished work of Jesus Christ explains the fulness, permanence and immutability of our bought-and-paid-for inheritance in Christ Jesus, and why we should (and how we can) enjoy it now.
     Both books should be easily available from Christian bookstores or the internet.

al Hartman

al Hartman

Email
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2003, 09:19:43 am »

Al I remember sitting under George's minsitry and cringing everytime he would pontificate about how we were "meeting God's need" in worship. I lacked either the spiritual or intellectual maturity to refute this heresy to his face and at the time could not quite articulate my great discomfort at this teaching.

Verne and all,
     In the wonderful passage of Luke 24:13-32, verse 32 says, "And they said to one another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?"  As Jesus had been walking with them, explaining all that had happened, he kept their eyes from recognizing him, but their hearts burned within them as he spoke to them.
     i find a bizarre antithesis of this reality in the experience that many of us had when GG spoke and his words created within us a sort of spiritual "heartburn" that we didn't recognize as the Holy Spirit's heresy alarm, & we didn't know what to do about it.

I have resolved to forego further pointless debates about the nautre of GG's ministry and the sad saga of those who stood with this heretic for so many years to the destruction of many. Nonetheless my heart truly breaks to see the remarkable number of people who still have no idea of the kind of spiritual damage they have sustained as a result of being in that system. I trust that here a little, there, a little, we can joyfully and graciously proclaim the true gospel of the grace of God...
Verne

Verne, you have just painted the banner that says THIS WAY TO VICTORY!  There has always been on this board a contingent who hold that before any erring saints can be led into the light, they must first see and confess what is wrong about the darkness.  The fact is that only the Truth can set us free.  And Jesus Christ is the Truth.  As He was lifted upon the cross that He might draw all to Himself, even today as we point people (sinners and saints) toward our exalted Savior and Lord, He draws them to Himself.  All hail the power of Jesus' Name...

al

BeckyW

Email
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2003, 09:15:10 pm »

My favorite recent read of a non-fiction book is one Wayne Mathews recommended, 'Grace Matters: A Story of Racial Reconciliation', by Chris Rice.  Because of recent racial discussions on other threads I wanted to mention it.

It's the story of Chris Rice's friendship with Spencer Jenkins, and their Antioch community in Mississippi, whose goal was to experience true Christian brotherhood across black/white racial lines.  It's a very good story, eye-opening and interesting on a number of levels.  One thing that struck me was the attitudes they experienced in living together.  Their home wasn't a training home like in the assembly, but some of the same dynamics were present.  The difference is (in my opinion), these Christians had a much better goal in mind.  As in, 'love one another that the world might know that you are My disciples'.

I'd like to hear from others who have read the book.

Becky
H

Email
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2003, 10:56:53 pm »

I love Matthew Henry's Commentary, and highly recommend it. I usually read a section as part of my "evening devotions" and am almost always blessed.
H
Peacefulg

Email
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2003, 08:42:15 pm »

Rising To The Call, by Os Guinness.

Great SHORT book, very simple and straight to the point and deep, and will provoke you to examine your faith, and stir you up for good works!  :-)

Cheers,
G
outdeep

Email
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2003, 04:14:59 am »

I recently read David Limbaugh's book called "Persecution".  It is not an uplifting, devotional book, but a detailed, well documented work showing how Chistians are being marginalized in all areas of society.

I write an occasional column for the local newspaper (www.outdeep.com) and this book helped convince me that I need to speak more forthrightly about matters of faith.

The book "Time for Truth" by Os Guinness helped me understand Postmodernism better.

summer007

Email
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2003, 12:06:37 am »

The Book I Love is C.S Lewis 'Surprised byJoy' in it he goes from early childhood Christianity to Atheism and back to Christianity..He recognizes God bringing him true Joy..using his friend as an instrument to win him back.. I like this book for its honesty in approaching the real things Christians go through afterall were Human Beings ...The difference is were partakers of the Divine nature...We hav'ent grasped all it means that Jesus is full of Grace and Truth...Light and Life......I've read this book a few times...C.S. notices arrows of Joy being shot at him...The Lord gets his attention !!!!!!
Delila Jahn

Email
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2004, 11:01:13 pm »

The Poisonwood Bible - a novel about missionaries that go to Africa.  In gg terms - the father in this story is a 'type of George'.  It was on the Oprah book list a couple years back.  I read it and wept, and laughed and cried some more.  
delila
Recovering Saint

Email
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2004, 11:30:02 pm »

I've been encouraged by reading the following books:

1) Churches That Abuse - by Ron Enroth
2) Recovering from Churches That Abuse - by Ron Enroth
3) Twisted Scriptures - by Mary Alice Chrnalogar (still reading this)
4) The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse - by Jeff VanVonderen and David Johnson
5) Tired of Trying to Measure Up - by Jeff VanVonderen

These authors have GG's number dialed (even though only the first two specifically mention the Assembly).  As you read them you will find:

1) You are not alone with regard to your problems.
2) God loves you no matter what.
3) Church leaders don't have the right to treat you the way that most did in the assembly.
4) The damage and deception was pervasive and subtle.
5) You can avoid being enslaved again in a yoke of bondage by knowing what made the assembly tick.
6) There is hope.

I got them all from Amazon for $6 - $13 each.

Hope this helps.

Jack

This is a good list of books and thoughts and I have to say the more people see that the GG system is at fault and not them the sooner they can be free to really enjoy the Lord.

Jesus said in John 8:36 So if the Son sets you free, you will indeed be free.

The song that comes to mind is a children's song. "This little light of mine". The verse says "hide it under a bushel NO! I'm going to let it shine. Let it shine. Let it shine. Let it shine.

Lord bless you all and be a good Berean and look it up. Don't fall prey to some Authority who says but the Greek says this and don't use those Scofield bibles and stay away from those Evangelical Semitaries. You can be free and the Lord is showing you how but you need to want it. Wild horses can't drag me back to that bondage again. Beware of the Leaven of the Pharisees.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: