AssemblyBoard
April 27, 2024, 04:16:14 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vegans...just what are they?  (Read 11915 times)
Matt

Email
« on: April 25, 2003, 06:13:51 am »

Ok, I was involved an in interesting debate in my religious studies class last night...maybe some of you have come across these types and know how to share "the Word" with them. The girl, Manjari, and I talked for 10 or so mins about this and apparently the teacher was interested because she gave us class time for this.
Matt:dozing off...suddeny hears the teacher say..
Teacher: It's a little bit like believing in trolls, we know they exist, but we just can't see them all the time.
Matt: LAUGHING (and apparently I'm the only who thought that was funny)
Manjari: umm...don't laugh...I ..I think trolls are real.
Matt: LAUGHING...why?
Manjari: um..well...um..I...I think that trolls..um..exist.
Matt: Laughing..why?
Manjari...well..I don't know..um..I think that trolls are super neato though. umm..they're just ...um..there.
Matt: LAUGHING (cuz she said super neato). Well, have you ever seen one?
Manjari: Um...well..maybe.
Matt: Yes or No.
Manjari:...um...well I"m not saying i haven't. But you don't have to see them to believe in them.
Matt: But how come you always say in class that we can't believe in God because we can't see Him?
Manjari..umm..you mean Her? well, um...i'm a vegan so I don't have to believe in God.
Matt: So you think a troll will get you to Heaven?
Manjari: Um..no..duh...vegans believe that we go back to earth..like...oh you know...um...like i might come back as a bird feather..or like maybe a crashing wave or umm..you know..like a cherry blossom.
Matt: yeah, like an elephant turd or something like that
Manjari: um..(wags finger at me)..not cool..not cool. You're a fundamentalist and that's scary.
Matt: oh my GOODNESS! Just shoot me now! (puts finger to head and pretends to shoot) Vegans don't wear deodarant and THAT's scary. Are you that vegan that took up three parking spots in Lot L? That Honda with the Vegan sticker and the Darwin fish?
Manjari: shaky voice..umm..no. Real vegans don't pollute the atmosphere with cars like the Christian Right with their SUVs. It's true you know..um...the christian right is neither.                    Matt: Is that the Vegan slogan? Good for Vegans!
Teacher: Matt, settle down. No more snide remarks in class this semester, remember our talk? Not everyone's a Christian and you have to accept that.
Matt: Yes, professor.

Yes, this is really did take place last night...sadly. Yes, I did have a talk with this teacher and she recommended I get counseling for my strong "religious" beliefs. If you were to go out to Manjari, where would you go from this point? Do you think there is a point where it's impossible to witness to a certain person? Granted, I was snide, but how would you repair it?

AAAAAAAAARRRRGGHHHHHHHHHHHH! Only in California. Get me out of here.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2003, 06:44:38 am by Matt » Logged
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2003, 11:11:41 am »

...and here i thought that all Vegans live in Vegas & deal blackjack!!!

But, seriously, Matt, if you want to witness about Christ, you'll need to mention Him at some point of the conversation.  i'll catch some flack for saying this, but the unbeliever's point of view is much less important than yours, because you are speaking the Truth when you talk about the Lord, and it is the Truth that will set Manjari & others free.  
     It is not so important for you to be able to show her what is wrong with her beliefs as to tell her what is right about yours.  There are two things to remember:  
     The power of the gospel IS the gospel.  It is the spirit of the living God inhabiting what you speak that touches the heart of another, and NOT how well you converse.  And...
     Witnessing for the Lord is a matter for prayer:  for a hungry heart to receive the gospel, for wisdom in when and how to speak, for conviction of sin, for assurance to believe, and for much more.

Yeah, Bro., CA is a crazy place, but the Lord has been dealing with crazy people for a L O N G time, & He is able.
(Hey, He saved me!!!)

We'll be supporting you with our prayers (Right, Saints?!),
God bless,
al Hartman

Matt

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2003, 05:33:41 am »

But, seriously, Matt, if you want to witness about Christ, you'll need to mention Him at some point of the conversation.  

Thanks, for the insight. This is true.
4Him

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2003, 09:33:39 am »

Great insight Al!

I might add that, while you should take any opportunity, it will probably be more profitable to discuss this in private.  In the words of Don Rumsfeld, the contributions of your obviously anti-Christian instructor are "not helpful".

Also, you need to get serious and put aside the snide remarks.  They will only put her on the defensive.  (I know that would be difficult for me in talking to one of these goofs. Roll Eyes)

Remember, it is God's grace that saves, not us and not the one who is saved.  Let Him use you but don't think He needs your skillfulnes.  No need for discouragement, it's in His hands completely!

Tim S.
Arthur
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2003, 05:38:40 am »

Manjari: Um..no..duh...vegans believe that we go back to earth..like...oh you know...um...like i might come back as a bird feather..or like maybe a crashing wave or umm..you know..like a cherry blossom.

LOL   Grin  An elephant turd!  LOL, that is too funny.

Maybe here's a way to put it...

Manjari: ...you're a Christian Fundamentalist...
Matt:  "Christian Fundamentalist"?  Oh you mean that I believe the truth as written in the Bible and not just make stuff up.  The Bible states the truth about who we are, where we've come from and where we're going.  As nice an idea as it is that you've imagined about coming back as a cherry blosom, it's not true.  The Bible says that God created man and when he created him he said it was "very good", but man sinned and for this reason we die a physical death and then face eternal damnation for our sins.  But God, because he so loves us, sent his one and only Son, Jesus Christ, into the world to pay the penalty for our sins so that we might be saved from such wrath and punishment.  Jesus said that if you believe in him you shall live even though you die, and if you live and believe in him, you shall never die.  So now, if you believe in Jesus, when you die you won't come back into this miserable world as a bird feather but will be raised from the dead to live and reign forever with our loving God and Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.  

* I was going to write:
"Matt:  'Christian Fundamentalist'?  Oh you mean that I believe the truth as written in the Bible and not pull asinine ideas out of my butt."
but I think that, since you are presenting the message of the love of God, you should assert it in a respectable and caring manner.  Wink

That was too funny, thanks for sharing.  I've had similar experiences on the campus.  People are strange.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2003, 05:42:10 am by Arthur » Logged
Matt

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2003, 08:51:44 am »

LOL   Grin  An elephant turd!  LOL, that is too funny.

Maybe here's a way to put it...

Manjari: ...you're a Christian Fundamentalist...
Matt:  "Christian Fundamentalist"?  Oh you mean that I believe the truth as written in the Bible and not just make stuff up.  The Bible states the truth about who we are, where we've come from and where we're going.  As nice an idea as it is that you've imagined about coming back as a cherry blosom, it's not true.  The Bible says that God created man and when he created him he said it was "very good", but man sinned and for this reason we die a physical death and then face eternal damnation for our sins.  But God, because he so loves us, sent his one and only Son, Jesus Christ, into the world to pay the penalty for our sins so that we might be saved from such wrath and punishment.  Jesus said that if you believe in him you shall live even though you die, and if you live and believe in him, you shall never die.  So now, if you believe in Jesus, when you die you won't come back into this miserable world as a bird feather but will be raised from the dead to live and reign forever with our loving God and Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.  

* I was going to write:
"Matt:  'Christian Fundamentalist'?  Oh you mean that I believe the truth as written in the Bible and not pull asinine ideas out of my butt."
but I think that, since you are presenting the message of the love of God, you should assert it in a respectable and caring manner.  Wink

That was too funny, thanks for sharing.  I've had similar experiences on the campus.  People are strange.

Did you just "people are strange?" My favorite not-in-the-Bible quotation of all time. I wonder how many times a day I say that. I think it should become California's state slogan. The people-are-strange state. And thank you for saying I'm funny. I think so too and it's about time somebody else besides me thinks so hehe.
Lord bless.
- Matt
Arthur
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2003, 10:25:19 am »

"...when you're a stranger..." etc.  

And did I mention modest?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2003, 08:22:31 pm by Arthur » Logged
Matt

Email
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2003, 10:49:59 am »

"...when your a stranger..." etc.  

And did I mention modest?

Hey, my favorite pie isn't Humble pie for no reason.
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2003, 09:49:58 pm »

Is humble pie vegan?
Arthur
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2003, 10:03:58 pm »

No, it's mince-meat.
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2003, 10:46:10 pm »

I know it's abit off the subject but I have a Question:
If Kosher food has been blessed by a Rabbi, has
vulcanized rubber been blessed by a Vulcan?

--joe
Arthur
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2003, 10:57:33 pm »

Of course.  How else would they have the green blood.

Live long and prosper.
(and the lesser known greetings)
Peace and long life.
May your journey be without incident.
jolan'tru (oh sorry, that's Romulan)

Arthur
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2003, 11:04:46 pm »

Is Mork a hippie vulcan?

Stillwater
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2003, 11:54:42 am »

Matt,

I think that the best way to get someone to respect what you have to say is to respect that other person.

Heather
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: