AssemblyBoard
April 27, 2024, 02:02:33 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: WOUNDED PILGRIMS  (Read 32414 times)
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2003, 03:16:55 pm »

Hi Everyone! Smiley
  Thanks for the memories Tom!  Yes, I was one of the bros. there that night in Westwood where Doug almost stole the show! Grin  Not only did Doug not hurt others as GG did, I would contend Doug's presence worked in our lives to bring us down from our lofty elitist perches.
  Also, Joe's joke ( Grin Grin) re. Chris Small and Doug Large is based in fact!  They shared the same bunk bed for a period of time in my Bros. house in the Valley!
  I'm glad that you enjoyed my take on the "Good Samaritan" Robb.  It kind of sums up my whole take on the wounded pilgrim concept.  For those not familiar with how I came up with "wounded pilgrims" it was the name of another BB from years ago that dealt with recovery from cults/abusive churches.  The name does not imply that we are forever victims and stay mired in bitterness and regret, but that through understanding our experience we don't miss the opportunity to learn and grow from it.  
   Thank you Robb for your testimony (on another thread) and participation on the BB.
                                           God Bless,   Mark  
Robb

Email
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2003, 08:34:36 pm »

Mark,

No problem!

I think the statement that says:
"If your not part of the solution, you're part of the problem"
can be re-worded to state:
"If your not part of the problem, BE part of the solution".

My family and I left many years ago, and while I did choose to leave, I've done nothing to be a help in times of trouble.  Even in the Assembly I was more of a bystander.  I know some people may take some of my postings wrong, but I went through it all in the Assembly and God has used some of it for good in my life, and continues to to great things in my life WITHOUT the assembly and it's leadership.  God is gracious.  By posting I'm not out on a personal vendeta, just trying to give and get perspective and help aid some healing and recovery for those in need.  If anyone perceives that I've oversteped my bounds, please let me know and I'd be willing to take your thoughts into account.  But, meanwhile, I'll continue to let the Lord lead me where I feel he wants me to go (not that I'm trying to be a Lone Ranger - I do have some faithful Christian friends whom I turn to that were not part of the Assembly - but I digress), not where I'm told to go base on the assumptions of what is best as told by someone higher up (GG).

Many apologies - this is about as vindictive and small minded as I get.  

Hi-Ho! Silver! AWAY!
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2003, 05:26:11 am »

Hi Robb! Smiley
  Re. your posts:  Most people here will nod and say amen as they read your thoughts, for we share many of them.
  As far as taking thoughts wrongly:  This is bound to happen sooner or later, as communication via typing doesn't allow for any body language, or inflection of voice.  I think most here now have enough experience on the BB to understand the inherent difficulties of this kind of communication.
  Re. passivity:  Ah, that was my great failure in the Assembly, and it has brought me some pain as well.  Indeed, it is these painful recollections that cause me to invest my heart and soul into helping others learn from my mistakes.
   The Christian life is not based on an outgoing personality, nor is it aborted due to a passive personality; the Christian life is about God's power, love, grace, mercy, and wisdom.  
   It is very beneficial and necessary to learn from our mistakes, but not to dwell there too long, as our mistakes are springboards to a new awareness of God.  (I love how the life of Jacob illustrates this wonderful point.)
  As we are all different individuals we will have a different aspect to share re. our failures and the discovery of His grace to meet that need.  That is the beauty of this BB and we all have a necessary part.
                            God Bless,  Mark
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2003, 09:37:11 am »

God is gracious.  By posting I'm not out on a personal vendeta, just trying to give and get perspective and help aid some healing and recovery for those in need.  If anyone perceives that I've oversteped my bounds, please let me know and I'd be willing to take your thoughts into account.  But, meanwhile, I'll continue to let the Lord lead me where I feel he wants me to go

What a great attitude!  May we all be as wise!!!

As far as taking thoughts wrongly:  This is bound to happen sooner or later, as communication via typing doesn't allow for any body language, or inflection of voice.  I think most here now have enough experience on the BB to understand the inherent difficulties of this kind of communication.

WHAT??!!!  HOW DARE YOU!!!!!   Smiley  Cheesy Grin Wink

Thanks, Stephen... i think i'm catching on...   Huh Undecided Cool

al Hartman

Mark C.

Email
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2003, 12:33:28 am »

Hi ALL! Smiley
  On another thread a poster mentioned that he thought a certain man was a Man of God.  I certainly am not going to bring up the particulars of that argument, but it started me thinking exactly what this phrase, "Man of God" means.
   I think it is important for those who were brought up in the Assembly to understand the proper or improper use of the above phrase.  We were all told that GG and the Workers deserved such a designation, and that the rest of us should strive to attain to this goal.
   Paul calls Timothy a "Man of God" in I:Tim. 6:11-15.  The phrase in context seems to pertain to the charge to Tim. to make a valiant defense of the Gospel.  I know that GG makes this passage appear to mean that Tim. had to get busy in making sanctification his via reckoning faith, but I don't think that's what Paul meant by "laying hold on eternal life."
    Paul's exhortation pertains to Tim's "good confession" which was a clear understanding of the Gospel.  To lay hold on eternal life is to constantly make sure that we have a clear grip on the message of the grace of God in truth.  A Man of God is first and foremost sound in their understanding and commitment to boldly stand for the Gospel.  This Gospel message is clearly designed for the entire Christian life (not just the beginning) and frees individuals from the bondage of false religious systems.
   Of course this individual is to "adorn the Gospel" with a behavior that is beyond reproach.  Was GG a Man of God until the time his moral failures were exposed?  Were his followers Men/Women of God while GG's moral failures his alone?
  According to I Tim. 6 we would have to hear the confession of these individuals and decide whether their understanding of the Gospel was correct and since it is abundantly clear that the practices of the Assembly were authoritarian, abusive, controlling, and highly toxic there would have to be a willingness to understand how a member was influenced by the above.
  What of the charge that "we are all sinners", and "who are you to judge!"  While it is very true that we are all sinners, and must hold our own judgment of others in humility, the two areas of teaching and practice we are to eneregetically use discernment in.  If I understand Paul's charge to Tim. this is exactly what it means to be a Man of God.  It is also how we can most help our Christian bros./sisters; who can complain re. an open and honest dialogue re. the truth of the Gospel?
   There is more that I would like to say about other Men of God from the Bible that show them to be very human sinners indeed, but it is their reaction to the rebuke of sin in their lives that is the key, not the fact that they failed.  I will try and post a follow up today that focuses on 2 of my favorite Wounded Pilgrims, Jacob and Peter.
                                               God Bless, Mark
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2003, 12:19:40 pm »

i know i'm a day late & a dollar short chiming in at this point, but this thread has brought back a flood of memories of the Valley brothers' house in the early days of the Fullerton assembly.

We often went out to eat after meetings, and Doug Large & David Hahn were, pound for pound, the champion eaters of the Valley, if not in all of Christendom.  They ended up with more food on their shirts than most of us ate.  We could have toured the farm belt, entering them in eating contests, and made a fortune.
     Anyway, after a meeting in which reference had been made to 1 Samuel 21 & 22's Doeg the Edomite, the Valley brothers were gathered at table.  Someone mentioned the similarity between the spellings of Doeg (pronounced DOE-egg) and Doug.  About that same time someone else noted the vast quantity of food Mr. Large was consuming, and ever after Doug bore the nickname of DOE-ugg the Eat'emup!

After Cathy & i returned to Ohio in 1980, i never saw Doug again.  He drove me to distraction at times, but i loved him dearly and i miss him to this day.  Save me a seat at the table, Doug...

Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2004, 01:02:19 am »

I was going through some of the older threads and saw this alternate "Wounded Pilgrims" thread and saw the last post made on the thread about Doug Large and Dave Hahn. I remember I used to ride the bus with Doug Large because we both worked in the same area.

If Doug got up late he'd barely make the bus. I remember a couple of mornings where he was chasing after the bus in bare feet with his shoes in his hands and screaming "stop!! stop!!"  Several times he had his "morning time" on the bus, literally kneeling on the floor with his Bible on one of the seats. We would also read the Bible out loud on the bus, with Doug blaring the reading at the top of his lungs. He was a real character, but had a HUGE heart.

I remember Dave Hahn one evening reaching for the Italian dressing and shaking it vigorously. There was one problem---the cap was loose. He literally baptised Cyndi Campbell with Italian dressing. I tried as hard as I could not to laugh, but I couldn't help it, I just had to.  One evening also Dave answered the phone, and held the receiver out towards Mark Campbell and said loudly "There's a Rooster Finley on the line for you". He had mis-heard "Mister" as Rooster. As Mark said "hello" we were all bursting out laughing. Dave looked confused and a bit annoyed--what was so funny? Oh well--guess you had to be there.

--Joe
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 01:05:18 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: