AssemblyBoard
April 25, 2024, 10:49:34 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: It was my pride  (Read 4857 times)
Arthur
« on: February 11, 2003, 08:19:19 am »

I'd like to share something that God has taught me just recently.  I think it will be helpful for all those who are still in or just leaving the assembly.  I left about two years ago, but ever since and even before while I was still in, something has been nagging at me.  It is becoming more and more clear that the main reason why I joined and stayed in the assembly was because of my pride.  I'm not talking about the fact that I wanted to do what the Bible said and be a good Christian--I'm talking about the fact that I wanted to do it and thought it could only be done in the assembly--though the Bible clearly states that that is not true.  Think about it, you do not have to be in the assembly to be a sincere and good Christian, now do you?  No, the reason why I stayed in the assembly is because I liked it, I hailed it and set it up on a pedistal as something to be the standard for all other Christians to attain to.  I wanted to see it suceed, even at the cost of the truth and my conscience.  I liked thinking that I was an elite Christian, better, more pure and more holy than the other, worldly Christians.  "We do everything that the Bible says Christians should do--Prayer Meetings, Bible Studies, all nights of prayer.  We preach the gospel and disciple people into fellowship. And did we mention...we worship the Lord in his appointed way.  Can't you see how we give our lives for the sake of the gospel?"

Saints, please don't just write this off.  Think about it.  Realizing and repenting of this sin of pride brings refreshment from the Lord.

Here are some verses that the Lord brought to mind:

God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
     Beware the leaven of the pharisees.
     Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, "If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." They answered him, "We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?" Jesus answered them,"Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin."
     Repent therefore, and turn again, that your sins may be blotted out, that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord.
     When I kept silence, my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day long.  For day and night thy hand was heavy upon me: my moisture is turned into the drought of summer. Selah.  I acknowledge my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, "I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD"; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin.
     "Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold." And Jesus said unto him, "This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham."

Thus saith the LORD, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest?  For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.

For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.  

The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.  

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.  

Arthur
« Last Edit: February 11, 2003, 08:28:05 am by Arthur » Logged
Rudy

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2003, 01:54:19 am »

That's putting it in a nutshell Arthur.

Yes, I can acknowledge that while on outreach
(before I left we were on our second sweep of
Hastings - pop 23,000), at work and on campus
I felt like there was something uberspecial that
everyone else was missing out on. Yes, it was
definitely spiritual pride, and arrogance. I remember
saying to Tony Gnagy in one of my "counseling"
sessions that the general atmosphere of the
assembly was militant. He even used my characterization
during another "counselling" session. I think he saw it
then. However, in retrospect, I see it all as unterspecial.
Something fallen away from the pure and precious life
that our Lord Jesus Christ called us to.

Rudy Kristavcnik
Heide

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2003, 08:19:44 am »

AMEN ARTHUR!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: