AssemblyBoard
April 25, 2024, 09:36:24 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]
  Print  
Author Topic: Weird Teachings  (Read 119445 times)
Margaret

Email
« Reply #225 on: May 02, 2005, 04:26:47 am »

CAGirl, the doctrine you describe is pretty much my understanding also of George's teaching. For starters, there was the successive raptures, with the best people going first. Then there was the matter of clothing. We are busy right now weaving our heavenly wedding garments out of our righteousnesses, so some of us may not look too good. Then there is the wedding feast of the Lamb, with guest seating arranged according to merit, some close up, and others far back, and, yes, there will be those who are left outside. And there will be some who are "hurt of the second death", in other words, who are burned, and they also are Christians  Huh.

This is a merit scheme to motivate the saints to more fervent commitment to all the meetings, more generous giving, greater involvement in outreaches, more abject submission to everyone above them in the power structure, etc. Very, very few Christians believe any of this. The Bible teaches one resurrection, to either eternal life or eternal punishment. The same degree of righteousness for us all - the righteousness of Christ himself. Union with Christ for us all as part of the Bride. The Bible hints of rewards and crowns that may be given in addition, but doesn't make any big deal of it. Have you seen the popular story about The Room that is making the email circuit?  http://www.joshharris.com/theroom/originalarticle.htm. It's a great story and is a good picture of judgment day. It makes you realize that any rewards we may receive are insignificant compared to God's love for us in Christ.
vernecarty
« Reply #226 on: May 02, 2005, 05:01:06 am »

CAGirl, the doctrine you describe is pretty much my understanding also of George's teaching. For starters,

This represents the core of all false holiness teaching, i.e. acquisition of holiness by methodology.
In George's world, you were nothing until approved and/or annointed by him or his underlings.
Many spent their entire tenure trying to become something.
The most powerful and liberating thing for me personally was to realise that I am called to live a holy life not because my own obedience to such a call effectuates holiness, but rather the reverse.
It is only because of our standing in Christ, that holiness is even possible, and in fact for each believer has been made the reality. It is entirely appropriate to our state!
This really changes the way we look at sin, and slowly it begins to dawn on our consciousness, that what is indeed strange and unseemly, is for us to be under its dominion.
I am not sure why we so often have trouble believing this simple truth.
No wonder God has to renew our minds.
Verne
p.s. The affections is one of the first areas in which I believe men who love Christ feel and see his cleansing work.
This is fundamental.
If you cannot win this battle, you may as well leave the field for you are nothing but a liability.
 It has been a very difficult thing for me to uderstand how such a boaster like Geftakys could have done what he did...there are some godless men whose sense of personal pride would not have permitted it...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 05:07:53 am by VerneCarty » Logged
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #227 on: May 08, 2005, 03:50:54 am »

Hello Sondra,

As is often the case, I was out on the road for the week and unable to keep up with my BB correspondence---- please forgive my tardy response.

Yes, I see that we "do have a failure to communicate"  Wink , and this is the chief advantage of having a continuing discussion: i.e., it presents an opportunity for us to define our terms.

The reason that I did not use "scripture" in my previous post is that it was an attempt to explain from my history why I have responded to your views in a negative way.  Much of the way that your posting "sounds" is reminiscient of my Eastern religious past.

I was not attempting a theological debate re. demonic power, etc. nor would I expect that my previous post would be considered my attempt to "teach" a biblical truth at all.  My past experiences in the spiritual realm are a lesson in confusion and to be avoided at all costs!

When you asked my "opinion" re. the nature of demon possession, etc., the answers were just off the top of my head and based on my own experiences.  Whether someone's behavior is controlled by demons, the devil, or their own depravity/deception is a judgment that I cannot make with any certainty.  In my post I was trying to assure you that I was not trying to insinuate that you were "possessed", as you seem to think that I was saying.

I was surprised that you are calling for me to make a "scriptural" argument re. these questions at all, since I understood that you believed that this was "dead letter" kind of theological stuff.  Possibly, I am mistaken re. this, and if you would like to have a discussion based on the bible that would be great!

Re. your perception that I was speaking in "psychological terminology":

I was not aware that this is what I was doing, and hope that you will point this out to me in the future.  I do try to relate biblical teaching to human experience (as in Wounded Pilgrims) and especially as it intersects the recovery of former cult members.

There must be a human context for our lives as Christians, because we are not soul-less spirit beings.  The rejection of the honest evaluation of our own humanity is a form of escapism that leads away from godliness and into all kinds of false religiosity.

Scriptural examples for the above abound:  Consider the life of Jacob, Peter, Thomas, Paul, etc.  There is a reason that the bible provides us with the real life experiences of these men as it amplifies doctrinal truths.  I guess that you could say that the HS provided a psychological study of Peter for us when we see him trying to follow Jesus, failing, recovering, and learning what it means to walk with Him in this life.

Re. "hearing voices":  I do not hear audible voices from the beyond, but often I feel like my thoughts are directed in some kind of a way (from within).  I agree with you that to respond to these would be superstitious and very unreliable.  I am glad that you see this, and in a later post I would like to discover what you mean by experiencing God's direction from some kind of inner sense.

I must go now because I'm hearing voices!  No, it is only one voice, and it is my wife saying, "time for dinner"! Wink  Talk to you later.  Wink

God Bless,  Mark C. 
night owl

Email
« Reply #228 on: June 01, 2005, 12:03:22 pm »

I've heard reference made several times to something George would say about a "giant hand". Could someone 'splain this for me please?
M2
« Reply #229 on: June 01, 2005, 05:29:46 pm »

I've heard reference made several times to something George would say about a "giant hand". Could someone 'splain this for me please?

Since I'm on EDT I am one of the first to read and respond to these late night posts, except for Verne, don't know how he does it since he is 1 hour west of me.  Maybe he dreams about the BB ...

Anyway I did a search for Joe Sperling's posts and came up with this link for the original GiantHand story:
www.assemblyboard.com/index.php?topic=226.msg12133#msg12133

Enjoy.
Marcia

on edit:
www.assemblyboard.com/index.php?topic=226.msg11611#msg11611

Marcia
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 08:33:38 pm by Marcia » Logged
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #230 on: June 01, 2005, 08:17:16 pm »

Actually, the original post is in the same thread but dated August 14, 2003. The link is to
an additional post the next month. But these were jokes based on a story that George
told in the past concerning a "Giant Hand" George's mother said she saw rescue him as
a child. George repeated the story a few times probably to reinforce a concept that he
was very special, and annointed, and completely covered by God. At least, that's how I
understand it Night Owl.

--Joe
grown up
« Reply #231 on: June 02, 2005, 04:44:37 am »

I also remember George's story and I think Joe is right about it's meaning.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]
  Print  

Jump to: