AssemblyBoard
April 20, 2024, 01:36:49 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: should the death penalty be abolished?  (Read 10088 times)
chuck schollmeyer

Email
« on: February 09, 2003, 08:16:15 am »

-
« Last Edit: February 16, 2003, 01:18:27 am by chuck schollmeyer » Logged
psalm51

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2003, 08:30:28 am »

Chuck,
What do you think?
Pat  
Nate Dogg

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2003, 10:18:42 am »

How about this Chuck: What Would Jesus Do?
editor
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2003, 03:23:27 am »

I like the death penalty.  I think it is totally just to put to death certain types of criminals.

I am also grateful for DNA testing, and somewhat horrified when I read about people who were innocent, and were spending decades in prison.  No doubt we have killed some innocent people.

On the other hand, there are lots of guilty people that are sponging off of my taxes, without my consent, because they deserve to die, but have no death penalty.

Jesus is a firm believer in the death penalty.  It is called the second death.

Also, didn't the law call for death?  Isn't that why Jesus had to die on the cross, as a propitiatory sacrifice?

Brent
karensanford

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2003, 03:29:56 am »

Now that's the Brent I know and love...  Grin

No one asked me, and probably no one cares..but if we were taking a vote, I'd keep it around too.
Peacefulg

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2003, 04:26:17 am »

I say get rid of it if we are not going to be consistent with it.  Living in Texas were we off the most people yearly (avg. 35 - 50) that is not enough considering there are way more capital crimes commited.  If people were dying consistently for murder you would see crime start to drop quickly, but with our namby pamby system people see very little consequences for actions.  

Man you kill someone for the most part if you are caught you are sentence to live confined to three square meals, some physical activiy, be able to get a degree or two, watch tv, etc. and all of this is paid for.  Were as the victim gets a visit from the local authority telling them such and such is dead.  In Texas we spend around 40+ thousand year to take care of people on death row.  It only cost around 300 to get a rock hauler to bring me nice size stones, or a 50 box 9mm bullets goes for about 10.95.

God Bless America, but I tell you this I would not steal in a middle east country knowing they take hands in a heart beat (ok I do not still now).  Our rape a women yet alone murder, they take care of business when it comes to crime.

Also they should make them public, so it is there for all to see and LEARN from.

Can you tell that I have never been chosen to be on a jury!   Cheesy

Lord Bless,
G

P.S. They also need to change the death methods used, lethal injection is too wimpy, bring out the stones.
Peacefulg

Email
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2003, 04:31:20 am »

BTW; OJ did do it!

BenJapheth
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2003, 06:53:10 am »

Capital Punishment - I agree...Romans 13 lays out the need for the State/King to bear the sword for the punishment of evil.  That would include killing those guilty of capital crimes.

What would Jesus do?  As a citizen he would render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's - Allowing him to fulfill his created purpose kingly purpose which is to bear the sword against evil doers.

This includes executing those guilty of capital crimes.

Nate, this is the Lord's way to love and care for the poor, the humble, the orphaned, the strangers, the disenfranchised...Since they are the primary victims of a violent society.  

God's ways are mercy to all at all times.

Blessings, Chuck

How about this Chuck: What Would Jesus Do?
I am skeptical, of course, that this is a serious question at all, but I'm going to answer it anyway, after a manner.

Let's not ask some irrelevant question, WWJD, but an historical one: What DID the Lord Jesus Christ do? Well, he took upon Himself the form of a man, and, as man took upon the form of a servant.

John 10:17-18
17  Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
18  No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

From this, we know that the Lord Jesus was not "put to death" despite the machinations of men, and despite the sentence of Pilate. He "laid his life down" and He did it under the sentence of execution. He also did it among four others who carried in them the same sentence, only they for their own sins, while He did it for all of us, in our place.

So what would/did Jesus do? He would die for the sins of those executed, but He would in no way interfere with their execution.

The death penalty is God's inention, after the flood. Prior to that time He forbad the death penalty, marking Cain for preservation instead of executing him. The result of that "experiment" (dispensation), where he let men's conscience be their guide - like Jiminy Cricket advises - was that the earth was filled with violence, and the gene pool of man was nearly destroyed.

It was after that - and the ensuing deluge - that He instituted the death penalty: "Whosoevre dheds man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed." That is God's contractual basis for human government. The only other two tenets God has laid down for man is meat-eating, and multiplying children.

The rest of human government and morality flow from these. Naturally enough, men being what they are, they will be hostile to all of these things. So we look for man to abolish the death penalty, forbid the eating of meat, and even, at some point for sake of population control, forbid marriage.

Things will certainly go in this direction, as you should be able to see even especially from your vantage point.
Peacefulg

Email
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2003, 07:30:56 am »

Well put John, and it is sad to think that your last statement is so true!

G
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: