AssemblyBoard
April 25, 2024, 07:28:00 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: What about a Church taking a name?  (Read 28843 times)
M2
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2003, 10:50:37 pm »

I understand the Assembly in Ottawa has taken a name.  If that is correct, what is their new name?  
BW

Becky,

When you find out, I'd like to know.

Marcia Smiley
retread

Email
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2003, 12:30:31 am »

I understand the Assembly in Ottawa has taken a name.  If that is correct, what is their new name?  
BW

Becky,

Marcia Smiley
Hmm, "When you find out, I'd like to know" certainly is a strange name for an assembly. Grin  Perhaps this name is indicative of their state of confusion. Grin
M2
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2003, 01:31:22 am »

BW

Becky,

Marcia Smiley
Hmm, "When you find out, I'd like to know" certainly is a strange name for an assembly. Grin  Perhaps this name is indicative of their state of confusion. Grin

Actually, I do not think that they have chosen a name yet, but the funny thing is that when they do, Becky will probably find out about it before I do.

You could always submit your suggestions to their website www.SaltAndLight.ca.

Marcia
retread

Email
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2003, 02:35:12 am »

BW

Becky,

Marcia Smiley

Actually, I do not think that they have chosen a name yet, but the funny thing is that when they do, Becky will probably find out about it before I do.

You could always submit your suggestions to their website www.SaltAndLight.ca.

Marcia

Actually, I still think that "When you find out, I'd like to know" would be a good name for them. Smiley  However, I think that I will pass on submitting it them.
M2
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2003, 07:45:05 pm »

Becky, Joe, Retread et al

The new name: the Church of the Bereans.

I received this news via VA.

Marcia
editor
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2003, 02:32:15 am »

Becky, Joe, Retread et al

The new name: the Church of the Bereans.

I received this news via VA.

Marcia

wow!  Things have really changed up there.  It used to be that the "saints" were "Christians, nothing more, nothing less."  Now, they're Bereans!

Seriously, the fact that they took a name does suggest that a change in thinking.  I mean that.

Brent
outdeep

Email
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2003, 10:11:23 pm »

Anybody for "The International Headquarters of the Church with No Name, Incorporated"?

When Brent started this bullitin board, it was the more Scriptural www.THeBulletinBoardinSLO.com.  But, then he got worldly on us.

Oscar

Email
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2003, 10:50:21 pm »

Anybody for "The International Headquarters of the Church with No Name, Incorporated"?

When Brent started this bullitin board, it was the more Scriptural www.THeBulletinBoardinSLO.com.  But, then he got worldly on us.

Dave,

Your suggestion violates the underlying assumption of Plymouth Brethren "church truth".

No practices not specifically taught or at least shown as examples in the NT are allowed.  

I think they should have called them selves the Church of the Ottowanians.  Then, if someone wrote them, they could call their letter the Epistle to the...         Wink

God bless all undercomers,

Thomas Maddux

"I've been through the desert with the church with no name, its good to be out of the pain".
outdeep

Email
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2003, 10:08:02 pm »

Tom,

Did the Apostles ever brush their teeth?  I would hate to think that I have been doing something unbiblical all these years.

-Dave
d3z

Email
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2003, 10:13:45 pm »

I'm fairly certain that the apostles never used computers, web browsers, or the internet.  Here's our "true" motivation to shut down the BB, it is unbiblical.

Dave
editor
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2003, 11:13:12 pm »

I'm fairly certain that the apostles never used computers, web browsers, or the internet.  Here's our "true" motivation to shut down the BB, it is unbiblical.

Dave

It's true.  You never see a children's ministry in the book of Acts, which is why they never had one in the Assembly.

Same with computers.  Nowhere does the bible mention them, therefore they are not to be used in the work of the Lord.  Following this logic, websites, including and especially this one, cannot serve God.

Shut it down, ignore it, and get back into the House of God.

Or, you might read Dave Sable's piece on getting back to the book of Acts.
http://geftakysassembly.com/Articles/TeachingPractice/GettingBackToTheBookOfActs.htm

Brent
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2003, 11:29:02 pm »

It's true.  You never see a children's ministry in the book of Acts, which is why they never had one in the Assembly.

Brent

Brent,

Must have been a SLO thing. We had a pretty comprehensive children's ministry in the Midwest. I should know I got kicked out often enough. Grin

Seriously, though, that ministry was one of the few positives of my Assembly experience. Until I got old enough for the teen ministry and then it turned into Assembly-Lite. Ugh.

Scott
editor
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2003, 11:33:28 pm »

Brent

Brent,

Must have been a SLO thing. We had a pretty comprehensive children's ministry in the Midwest. I should know I got kicked out often enough. Grin

Seriously, though, that ministry was one of the few positives of my Assembly experience. Until I got old enough for the teen ministry and then it turned into Assembly-Lite. Ugh.

Scott

I should have been more clear about what I meant.  By children's ministry, I was referring to the idea of Sunday school, nurseries, etc.

Brent
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2003, 11:39:05 pm »

Gotcha. You mean programs where the kids are doing something else while the parents are in meetings?

My kids actually enjoy going Sunday mornings because they are in programs that teach at their level (plus they don't have to lay face down on a mat or at rigid attention on a steel chair!).
d3z

Email
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2003, 01:09:17 pm »

Same with computers.  Nowhere does the bible mention them, therefore they are not to be used in the work of the Lord.  Following this logic, websites, including and especially this one, cannot serve God.

We almost created a website in San Diego.  I even purchased the domain http://www.sdbiblestudy.com/ (very exciting, isn't it).  I was about to come up with some stuff to put on it, when the "brethren" discovered your (Brent's) website.  I was told to immediately take it down.  They were afraid that you would put a link to our website, and people would be able to associate us with what you (Brent) were talking about.

The reluctance to use websites was more an issue of hiding who the assemblies were, rather than about a fear that they weren't biblical.  Tim G was actually quite excited about a website for the campuses, at least until you started being devisive Smiley

I also used my computer to design a print the invites.  Many of you probably saw the "How to do a chapter summary" flyers, the one with the image of the torn notebook paper inside.  I made that, and I used a computer.  I saw them show up in quite a few assemblies.

We also taped the meetings, and they didn't have tape recorders in the Bible.  There was a lot of paranoia about people getting ahold of the tapes.  A few meetings, I was actually told to destroy the tapes.  It was usually when it was about child training.  I did erase the tape, but I still have an encrypted mp3 file sitting around.  I don't know if I remember the password, and I'm not sure I care.

Although the Brethren concept of not doing something if not in the Bible was given as an excuse, I think the real activites were just whatever was needed to perpetuate the assembly system.

Dave
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: