AssemblyBoard
April 25, 2024, 06:39:18 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: What about a Church taking a name?  (Read 28842 times)
editor
« on: February 07, 2003, 10:44:01 am »

Hello, this is Suzie Tr0ckman

I know why the Assembly never had a "name,"  but now I want to hear from some of you about how you look at this idea now.

Is it OK for a local gathering of the one body of Christ to take a name?  IE Mercy Church,  Grace Church,  Anytown Bible Church,  Grace Bible Chapel, etc.?

Suzie
(my husband is out draining the swamp so he can corral some more gators!)
4Him

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 11:13:14 am »

Hi Suzie,

We all call ourselves Christians.  The different names that gatherings have are not separatist or exclusive as has always been preached in the Geftakys group.  While I don't see these names required in the Bible, neither are they forbidden.  They do, however,  provide a useful reference for those we hope to reach for our Lord.  Sometimes it indicates a location, other times, a particular burden stressed in the establishment of a church.

The Assemblies did sometimes have names.  Here in Springfield there has been a banner hanging over the front of the meeting place declaring, "A Gathering of Christians".  Of course I always had to explain to folks that this was not really the name of the church there.  Wink Tongue  Roll Eyes

Suzie Trockman
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2003, 12:15:20 am »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the clear answer.  I have always thought that not taking a name was exclusive and separated the Body.
d3z

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2003, 01:41:50 am »

We all call ourselves Christians.  While I don't see these names required in the Bible, neither are they forbidden.

Also, keep in mind, that in the culture of the time, not much of anything had a name.  Our culture today has to name everything, it is how businesses have to work.  People reacting badly to the assembly not having a name is more of a cultural offense, and probably not any deeper than that.  In this culture, we don't tend to think of something as an entity unless it has a name.

In the first century, you could open a shop and sell something, and just do it.  We don't see references to the name of Paul's tent making business.  It was just something he did.  The culture worked by personal connection, and interaction of individuals.  Anything that did have a name was more likely to just be descriptive (what and where it is).  Larger entities did have names (such as cities).

This is a very good example of GG (and others, this was not his idea) taking something that happened in the scriptural account, and copying it.  There's probably nothing explicitly wrong with that (there are no scriptures I know of that require a church to have a name), but it doesn't help anything to then become devisive against anyone else who does take a name.

Dave
M2
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2003, 06:32:13 pm »

The Geftakys assemblies considered themselves to be 'New Testament Simplicity' gatherings. I still hear this terminology being used.

What is a New Testament church look like according to the Bible?
What is significant about the 'simplicity' attachment?

Marcia
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2003, 08:25:26 pm »

The thing that was always funny to me about the Assembly was the "no name" thing. it was like we were supposed to believe that a visitor would come in and say "Wow, this place has no name. There's no Pastor, or Assistant Pastor, no Bishops or deacons, no musical director or church council, what a blessed place!!" But anyone with half a brain after two visits knew the place had no name on purpose, that the Pastor was George, the Assistant Pastor was Steve Irons, The musical Director was guy who led the songs at worship, and the "church council" was the leading brothers.(of course when I mention Steve, etc. I'm recalling when I was there).

It was a purposeful disassociation with any "modern" church pattern. It was an elitist attitude cloaked in false humility. "Wow, we must be special people to God above other Christians because he's put US in this place, while other Christians are in worldly churches with little light." And what made US so special? OUR WORKS---our commitment of time and life to "God's Purpose" in the Assembly.  A verse was altered just for us: "God is no respecter of persons....except when it comes to choosing those who respond to the call and show they are worthy thereby". The word "Grace" was altered--from complete unmerited favor, to something given to you for obeying.

There's a word for this back where I come from:  Heresy.
Oscar

Email
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2003, 09:03:52 pm »

Joe,

Years ago Dave Sable applied his wit to the "Horse With No Name" song.  It went:

"I've been through the desert with the church with no name, It's good to be out of the pain..."

God bless,

Thomas Maddux
Oscar

Email
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2003, 09:16:53 pm »

As to the no name idea...

Years ago brother Bakht Singh pointed out to me that church at Rome had several different congregations.

V10, "those who are of Aristobulus"

V11 "Those of the xxx of Narcissus"

V14 "Asyncritus, Phlegon, Hermes, Patrobus, Hermas and the brethren with them"

V15 Philologus and Julia...and all the saints who are with them"

First century Rome had a population of about a million people, and several suburbs.  It was only natural that different congregations would arise, if only for practicality.

There is an underlying assumption which leads to the "No Name Allowed" rule:  Anything not explicitly mandated or described as a practice in the NT, is prohibited.

This explains many of the Plymouth Brethren practices used in the "Assembly", (its real name), and throughout the "Assemblies".  

It also explains the fact that although we had pretty much the same jobs for people as any other church, we didn't call them by the same names, thereby avoiding the need to justify ourselves if questioned.

God bless,

Thomas Maddux
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2003, 09:50:08 pm »

Joe,

And of course by following that line of reasoning:

We have no name because we believe a name separates and divides the church.

The church is God's people.

Those who take a name separate and divide themselves.

Therefore as we do not take a name, WE are the undivided church. All others are (take your pick): false, backslidden, unenlightened, playing games, etc, etc.

That of course strengthens the isolation, the pride, George's status, and all the other things you know so well.

I never believed George was nearly as clever as he thought he was but he wasn't stupid. Just clumsy.

Scott McCumber
jackhutchinson

Email
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2003, 12:06:03 am »

George used to mock other churches by saying, "We're not just playing church!"

he he.....yeah we were.

Of course, the joke was on us.  We were so serious about playing church.  We gave so much and put sooooo much effort into bringing just one visitor.

Jack
Mark Kisla
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2003, 12:39:28 am »

Jack,
We were the most serious "church players" around because George took advantage of pure motives.
 Big George's vision got us good.
Eulaha L. Long

Email
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2003, 02:21:16 am »

Evidence we were indeed "playing church":

1. Meetings were conducted the exact same way, week after week
2. Even thopugh we sat in chairs and not pews, the chairs were arranged with precision each meeting (in Fullerton, the space between rows were even measured for accuracy)
3. The Assembly has pastors, deacon/deaconesses, elders, ushers (a.k.a. doorkeepers)
BeckyW

Email
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2003, 08:26:25 pm »

I understand the Assembly in Ottawa has taken a name.  If that is correct, what is their new name?  
BW
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2003, 08:38:49 pm »

Becky---

"We Ottawa never followed George in the first place".

--Joe
BeckyW

Email
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2003, 08:46:21 pm »

Joe-
Isn't that a little long for the sign out front?

Becky
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: